PDA

View Full Version : Monster Tower Again

hokiecharlie
01-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Considering installing a Monster Tower on a 98 PS 205. Trying to find out if anyone has had any experience installing one on same model, whether the original bimini could still be used, and whether the tower really folds down all the way in the boat so the original cover can be used. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G-man
01-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Most biminis are to wide to fit under a tower. Sometimes you can turn them around and they will fit. I don't know how flat your tower is when it is down but I think you'll need a new cover also.

RackAtak
01-20-2006, 02:03 PM
The tower will not fold flat and you wouldn't be able to use the cover. I have one on a 2001 ProStar. When folded, mine rests on the back seat but one leg rests on the gunwale and the other leg has nowhere to go but on top of the other leg which leaves it at about windshield height and maybe a little higher. If I had to do it over I would go with a OEM tower but overall I like it.

River Rat
01-20-2006, 02:09 PM
This is my 98 with the monster I put on last year. I mounted mine down low on the sides which creates the look I prefer and my top fits under it. The down side is when I drive on my trailer the tower hangs up on the boat guides from time to time. When folded mine needs to be set on a padded 2x4 due to the cushions not lining up. When my boat goes in the garage my boat cover gets put on then I fold the tower down on top of it then cover the entire boat with a cheap blue tarp. All that said I love my tower and would not change a thing if I could. The tower mirror mount is a must!!

River Rat
01-20-2006, 02:09 PM

River Rat
01-20-2006, 02:10 PM
.................................................. ..................

beef
01-20-2006, 02:15 PM
I have this tower on the same year/model, and it does fold down flat. I'm still using my original oem cover with it. The only thing that happens with mine is that the cover exposes a few inches of rubrail on each side where the back legs cross into the boat.

I didn't have a bimini before, so I ordered one of the Monster ones. It's really nice to be able to strap it up to the tower when not in use.

Ric
01-20-2006, 02:41 PM
dam I thought I was gonna see monster girls in this thread.....

Rat, your boat's twin is in Friendswood somewhere (without a tower)

River Rat
01-20-2006, 03:02 PM
This one is for you Ric!!! Cool to know there is another around, I'll have to keep my eyes pealed :smile:

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 03:36 PM
They really are nice. It gives the boat a completely different look than when equipped with the 0-Flex tower. I like 'em.

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Would it be more expensive to have the 0-Flex tower installed? I've never looked into that.

rodltg2
01-20-2006, 03:43 PM
i think the zerfolex would be about double. well worth it to me though.

AirJunky
01-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Would it be more expensive to have the 0-Flex tower installed? I've never looked into that.
About $3k installed. And not nearly as sturdy.

rodltg2
01-20-2006, 03:58 PM
but goes better wiht the lines of the boat

AirJunky
01-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Yea, could be, depending on the year of the boat. But it's hard to ride behind a tower thats bouncing all over the place because it's got 4 wakeboards, 4 speakers & 4 lights piled all over it.

I think the sturdiest towers on the market have to be Titan, Ichor & Monster.

River Rat
01-20-2006, 04:03 PM

you airchair guys put alot of load on a tower, is it ok for begenners to ride a chair from a pole( my buddy wants a chair and that is all he has on his bu)

you guys can fly :worthy: :worthy:

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 04:07 PM

I didn't realize there was that much of a difference in the sturdiness of the two towers. Why does the 0-Flex Tower cost so much more if it's not near as sturdy? Sounds to me a few things are backwards.

Either way, I'm happy with the performance of my 0-Flex. We have, at times, pulled 3 boarders at the same time. I've never had any doubts about the towers capability.

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Not the smartest guy, but my 210 lb brother-in-law climbs on top of the tower and does back-flips off of it. Never any rocking or jolting.

rodltg2
01-20-2006, 04:17 PM
my tower is more of a speaker and wakeboard/ ski rack than anything else so i just want it to look good.

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 04:23 PM
my tower is more of a speaker and wakeboard/ ski rack than anything else so i just want it to look good.

Form and Function - the best of both worlds.

Ric
01-20-2006, 04:39 PM
NO problems with my zeroflex. I even towed a houseboat off the rocks with it

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 04:48 PM
NO problems with my zeroflex. I even towed a houseboat off the rocks with it
Now that's a testament to strength and durability. Why would you do that? Why couldn't you have hooked it to the transom?

AirJunky
01-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Where your going to notice a problem is when the tower is loaded up & the boat is going thru choppy water. You can see a lot of movement in the tower, which can't be good.

Also, any time a rider is out in the flats to the side of the boat & trying to do tricks & hold on to the rope.... this will flex the tower to the side, sometimes a LOT. There aren't a lot of boarders who can do any tricks away from the wake, which is where the Zeroflex is strongest. But get a foil rider out there & there are any number of tricks they can do, back flips, front flips, helis, mobes, etc. And if he's a big guy, and strong & really wants it....... it'll lean the tower & boat over like nothing else.
Same thing happens with a pylon since the bow cable only supports the front.

Ric
01-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Now that's a testament to strength and durability. Why would you do that? Why couldn't you have hooked it to the transom?
I am completely and utterly joking

There is no way in hell I would try that
-
-
-
-

rodltg2
01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
have you tried running the course off the tower?

Ric
01-20-2006, 05:04 PM
have you tried running the course off the tower?
no .

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I am completely and utterly joking

There is no way in hell I would try that
-
-
-
-
DANG!!! I was really impressed.

rodltg2
01-20-2006, 05:22 PM
me neither but i wold be interesting.

Jim@BAWS
01-20-2006, 05:27 PM
I have one of these in the SHOW Room AWESOME Tower
Drop shipped right to your door
Designed to fit your boat STAINLESS STEEL

http://www.barefootinternational.com

Jim@BAWS

AirJunky
01-20-2006, 06:04 PM
With the additional upper & side bracing, I'd expect that BI tower to be a lot more sturdy..... but I've never tried it either. Would be nice to check out.

hokiecharlie
01-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Jeff, thanks for the pics. I have the Sammy model too. It was really helpful to see the same boat with the tower. I was considering the mirror attachment. Mine is installed on the passenger side and gets knocked around. Sounds like placement of the tower will affect ability to use bimini and cover. I keep mine on a lift, so tower will have to be folded and a cover is necessary to keep out birds and bugs. I like the looks of the New Dimension a little better but the same set up would cost about $1,000 more, would require new bimini, and definitely would not fold beneath a cover from what I could tell.

Ric
01-20-2006, 07:15 PM
DANG!!! I was really impressed.
seriously I did pull a houseboat off the rocks with my last 190 tied to the pylon. the pylon never gave much but I started to get this feeling as I looked back that I was looking down the barrel of a loaded gun :eek:
any bit that I got the boat turned from a straight pull and it wanted to drive out from under that rope (translation: I could have sunk the 190 easily)

SteveO
01-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Hokie, Brazosbum has a monster on his 97 205 and it looks and works great. He has his original bimini under it as well. You out their BB?

the legend
01-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Check out New Dimension Towers, Wayne designed the towers originally for MC. He now builds them for older boats. www.newdimensiontowers.com

Brazos Bum
01-31-2006, 01:25 AM
Hokie, Brazosbum has a monster on his 97 205 and it looks and works great. He has his original bimini under it as well. You out their BB?
I'm on the road now, but I can post some pics when I get home. I'm very happy with the Monster I installed on my '97 205.

I had a nearly new bimini before I decided to install the tower and I really didn't want to have to replace it. I figured I was going to have to narrow the bimini frame to make it work under the tower but I was pleased to find that it fits under the Monster, albeit with some pain.

It's a less than perfect situation because I have to raise the rear legs of the tower to put the bimini up. I generally put the top up when I head out and leave it up until the boat is back on the trailer so it's not too bad. I bought a second set of the quick connect knobs so that it's easy to unhook the rear legs to raise the tower. I can hold the tower up with one hand and raise the bimini with the other, but it goes a lot smoother with a person on each side of the boat.

Boogieman
01-31-2006, 02:41 AM
I had a airboom tower . .
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/4927/img09587eh.jpg
I really like the look and never had any problems with it . . no movement at all . . . . . and i pulled a few time a 250lb guy on a airchair . . . and he did some crazy stuff out there . . .

I miss my boat . . . :(

milkmania
01-31-2006, 03:17 AM
I had a airboom tower . .
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/4927/img09587eh.jpg
I really like the look and never had any problems with it . . no movement at all . . . . . and i pulled a few time a 250lb guy on a airchair . . . and he did some crazy stuff out there . . .

I miss my boat . . . :(

what year is your PS190?
I've never seen a rear pad like that:confused:

Boogieman
01-31-2006, 03:18 AM
what year is your PS190?
I've never seen a rear pad like that:confused:

heheh . . it is a '96 . . and the rear "pad" is custom made . . for the ladies!!! :D
and it's awesome to store the fat-sac under it . . .

milkmania
01-31-2006, 03:19 AM
heheh . . it is a '96 . . ant the rear "pad" is custom made . . for the ladies!!! :D
and it's awesome to store the fat-sac under it . . .

do you have any other pics of it?
I saw a little bit of the port side in your website pics, but couldn't see much

Boogieman
01-31-2006, 03:31 AM
do you have any other pics of it?
I saw a little bit of the port side in your website pics, but couldn't see much

look here (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=141255#post141255) <- that's a Link :D

Boogieman
01-31-2006, 03:32 AM
sorry . . double post . ..