PDA

View Full Version : Woodworkers Team Talkin'

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2006, 11:46 PM
It seems there are quite a few TT members into woodworking. What are you doing?
Hobby, part time, full time, commercial?
Your own shop? Garage or basement shops?

whitedog
01-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Hobbie and home remodle. Basement shop under garage.

Hoosier Bob
01-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Man I just love the tools!!! Biscuit joiner, planer, compound mitre, router, hinge butt template, sawzall, drop foot milwaukee, MK tool tile saw, table saw, screw gun and a really big hammer! Don't use them as much as I would like but I got to own them all! Yeah Tools!!!! :D

milkmania
01-20-2006, 12:17 AM
saw this a while back.......

Binford Tools Online Catalog search engine:headbang:

http://www.hiarchive.co.uk/binford.php

Hoosier Bob
01-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Is it a tool I have to have or just a way to find it? :confused:
saw this a while back.......

Binford Tools Online Catalog search engine:headbang:

http://www.hiarchive.co.uk/binford.php

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 12:33 AM
I was into it for awhile as a hobby.

3 HP Delta TS with 52" Biesmeyer, 14" Delta Band saw with Beis. fence, 3 miter saws, 2 radial arms, 12/36 lathe, 6 routers, router bench, 6" Dust collection system, Air filtration system, DJ8 jointer, Leigh D4 jig and many attachments, biscuit jointers, carving mallets, 3 air compressors and enough nailers and staplers to keep them all very busy, jigsaws, scroll saw, belt sanders hand and stand, etc.....

Hoosier Bob
01-20-2006, 12:43 AM
So I am gathering you made much more than picture frames? :D
Deck, crown and base and the occasional scateboard ramp, for me of course!I was into it for awhile as a hobby.

3 HP Delta TS with 52" Biesmeyer, 14" Delta Band saw with Beis. fence, 3 miter saws, 2 radial arms, 12/36 lathe, 6 routers, router bench, 6" Dust collection system, Air filtration system, DJ8 jointer, Leigh D4 jig and many attachments, biscuit jointers, carving mallets, 3 air compressors and enough nailers and staplers to keep them all very busy, jigsaws, scroll saw, belt sanders hand and stand, etc.....

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 12:49 AM
So I am gathering you made much more than picture frames? :D
Deck, crown and base and the occasional scateboard ramp, for me of course!
I made a picture frame once, threw it out, the jigs, the stapler, and the press. It wasn't my slice of cheese.

Hoosier Bob
01-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Maybe it wasn't the frame? :D
I made a picture frame once, threw it out, the jigs, the stapler, and the press. It wasn't my slice of cheese.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Maybe it wasn't the frame? :D
If it wasn't noone will ever know.....;)

Cary K.
01-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Have been doing some sort of woodworking my whole life. Played around with my grandpa in his shop, took some classes in high school, worked framing & trim construction and in a cabinet shop in college. Graduated and got a job at a large cabinet/store fixture mfg. Now I work at a large cabinet/millwork/door/window manufacturer: www.smcinc.com
As a longtime personal goal, I will be getting my general contractor's license in the near future.
Also have a decently equipped home shop that I rarely use anymore. Although I have turned out a couple awesome sub enclosures for the MC in there :)

BriEOD
01-20-2006, 08:53 AM
I do more rough carpentry. I closed in a room on our house, etc. I've got the basics.

Craftsman TS, DeWalt Chop Saw, Circular Saw, Jig Saw, Compressor, Hitachi Framing Nailer, Senco Finish and a Staple Nailer, sanders, screw guns...etc You can never have enough tools.

ski_king
01-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Same here for rough carpentry. I love doing that type of work and even built my own house. I tried cabinet making and found my expitations were much better than my skills and that can be very frustrating.

Kevin 89MC
01-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I enjoy rough framing more than trimming too. I helped a buddy build a big garage, replace the floor joists in his living room, raised the roof on my house, finished off my basement, to name a few. Seems like I framed my basement walls in the same time it took to trim out the doors & walls. Coping inside corners is not my favorite task! I have: 5 drills, 3 circular saws, compound miter saw, sawzall, router, jigsaw, hope to get a table saw as soon as I can justify it! I don't think you can ever have enough tools . . .

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 11:03 AM
I have done some rough too as a hobby. Built a 12x14x10 Shed 3 years ago, poured my own 60 x 16 concrete slab to get to it, built a 16'X40' Deck (cedar) 2 yrs ago of course the hard part was to make sure it holds the 8000# Hot tub, and my last years little project was building my daughter (as she calls it her park) a swing set from scratch a few months ago.
Funny part with that is, I make my own drawings (prints) and the day I was designing her "park" I drew up a set of plans, was about 99% of the way done, went out to the yard to get one last measurement to make sure the structure was square to the deck and shed, and she desides the plans were "drawing paper" so she helps herself to some crayons, and helps with the drawings. At 2 years old, she didn't do the best job coloring between the lines, so they were hard enough to read, I had to build it without plans, because I wasn't going to do them again. I pretty much have them all in my head anyway, but I like to have plans to go back to if I have a "brain fart" and forget something important.
I also finished 1/2 my basement last year. The other 1/2 will be this year.
The basement is where my workshop "USE" to be.:(

BriEOD
01-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, trim work is a pain in the arse! It's hit and miss. I guess their is always caulk!! The finish nailer helps but trying to get a good measurement and cut sometimes takes forever. My neighbor does it professionally so if I ever get jammed up I go find him.

Mag_Red
01-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Here's just one of my many projects going on right now......Birch insides and poplar drawer and door fronts.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Looks great Mag.

Mag_Red
01-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Also built this two years ago..........from the ground up

M-Funf
01-20-2006, 12:46 PM
well, you know from my other post that I'm doing the remodeling work. I've also made a couple of occasional tables, a TV stand, a gate for the driveway, decks, two custom screen doors, etc. Oh, and restoring the old boat. My shop is shared with the cars in the garage, but the garage is big, so there's enough room...the tool collection is "getting there".

For now, it's all just hobby work. I hope to increase the amount of woodworking I do over the next 4 years or so...

My current project is a wine cellar in our basement. The slab is poured, now I need to rough it out, close it in, add the cooling unit and racks, tile the floor, etc. Then comes the beautiful task of moving all 900 bottles of wine (which is currently in two stand-alone wine units and various other cool places in the house and basement) into the cellar....I think some of them won't make the trip :friday:

Rockman
01-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Projects from last summer were mainly bean bag boxes. Made about 12-15 sets...I think. :confused:

But I also have done, framing, furniture, bars, decks, finish work, glass block, drywall, customer odds and ends, etc.

Started doing electrical last winter. Haven't made my way to plumbing yet. Can do the installs on sinks and toilets but never did a house or anything of that size.

Sassy Dog has done some cool prjects...some have been know to never leave my basement. :D

I think I am the only finance guy I know who has hands that look like those of a construction worker. :noface:

Tools: If I don't have it, you don't need it. :D

I'll grab some pics of my projects and post next week.

Basement shop and 1 slip of our 3 car garage for the tools and benches.

Leroy
01-20-2006, 03:38 PM
M-Funk; Nice collection 900 bottles! I actually have a book from the library now on Wine Cellars I would like to do something in the mechanical space. I carried ~200 bottles from Belgium in 2002, mostly French reds, some Reislings. Post some pictures of your cellar or plans if you have them.

Diesel
01-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Seems my housing projects have no end. I snap a few pics of a hutch I just made for our mud room once I spray the final coat of paint.

I am currently working on sprinkler plans for my yard which I hope to install this spring.

BTW, who here know the trick to crown moulding? Just did my daughter's room and it about drove me crazy..................

I know how to calculate the miter and bevel angles but cannot seem to get the saw to cooperate. My calculations call for precision in the hundredths yet the saw graduations in whole numbers :confused: . I wasted a lot of material building test fit joints to get the saw set up correct. Also what is the best way to measure the actual angles in the house. The protractor I have is less than ideal and only gets me in the ballpark. I know there has to be a better way...................

M-Funf
01-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Post some pictures of your cellar or plans if you have them.

Leroy,
We took about 6 cases of CA reds to France when we moved there in '97. We returned home 2 years later with NO CA red's, but about 4 cases of French and Italian reds, plus 2 cases of German wines and some other misc. stuff.

Most of our current collection is CA Cab's. We don't buy wine right now...we've got to drink some of what we've got first :D

Here's the cellar layout:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid200/pc9453e535f657dce015c715672c30bb5/f07e6c72.jpg

It's good for just over 1,000 bottles (1,040 regular bottles and 18 magnums = 1,058 total), which is all we really want to be able to store. Our basement is good enough for about 6 cases of the wine we currently have, so it will not go in the cellar. The racking is 7' high redwood. Nothing fancy, really, but we do need the space.

I'll be sure to post a few pictures along the way.

JimN
01-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Deisel- cope the corners. It's a lot easier, faster and won't drive you crazy. I assume you thought the corners were square, right?

east tx skier
01-20-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm no more than a hobbiest. Apart from the jump seat, I built a custom built in entertainment center for our big screen.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 06:15 PM
M-Funk; Nice collection 900 bottles! I actually have a book from the library now on Wine Cellars I would like to do something in the mechanical space. I carried ~200 bottles from Belgium in 2002, mostly French reds, some Reislings. Post some pictures of your cellar or plans if you have them.
Hmmmmm, a wine cellar. As long as I live here, I won't need one. Assuming my neighbor continues to ship 1000's in at a time via freight containers. All I have to do is ask....:D Did I mention he is a distributor......
Last time I talked to him, his people BROKE about 400 bottles with a fork lift in one shot.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Seems my housing projects have no end. I snap a few pics of a hutch I just made for our mud room once I spray the final coat of paint.

I am currently working on sprinkler plans for my yard which I hope to install this spring.

BTW, who here know the trick to crown moulding? Just did my daughter's room and it about drove me crazy..................

I know how to calculate the miter and bevel angles but cannot seem to get the saw to cooperate. My calculations call for precision in the hundredths yet the saw graduations in whole numbers :confused: . I wasted a lot of material building test fit joints to get the saw set up correct. Also what is the best way to measure the actual angles in the house. The protractor I have is less than ideal and only gets me in the ballpark. I know there has to be a better way...................
Well, first I'd ask what type of saw you are using, and it is a double bevel slider right?
Secondly, MOST guys I see using crown install BLOCKS in the corners and cut everything straight. It still gives the looks, but ALOT less labor. Anyway, back to the question. Are you making inside or outside corners? And are you installing AT the ceiling or just below with a gap up top.

Diesel
01-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Deisel- cope the corners. It's a lot easier, faster and won't drive you crazy. I assume you thought the corners were square, right?

Yeah, at first I gave the framing subs way to much credit and assumed they would be 90. Learned real fast nothing in my house was even close to square or straight :confused:.

In coping you butt one section into the corner then bevel/miter the adjoining section to overlap?? Never "coped" before.

M-Funf
01-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Here's a good guide that I've used in the past...

http://www.altereagle.com/3_How_to_insta.html

:toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Diesel,
Try this...
22.5 degrees &
33.9 degrees

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I BELIEVE your saw should look like this one way, then flip it to do the other side.
Does this make sense to you. It's hard to be 100% certain without making a cut, and I don't have any scrap moulding around.

sassydog
01-20-2006, 06:51 PM
i do everything. i'm union carpenter by trade and i do a ton of trim and furniture making on the side for cash. you name it, i've probably built it. one of my best pieces was a gift to rockman. last year over the span of four months, i built a giganitc replica of a jack Daniel's bottle, entire out of wood. it laid on it's side and reached over 10' long. the label alone was 4'3". every curviture of the neck and ever angle of glass was replicated to scale. and teh best part is that where the label was, i cut into the bottle to have room for a two person bench. there are pictures of rockman and i sitting on it. if i can find the pictures, you bet they'll be on this thread. i

sassydog
02-03-2006, 11:27 AM
here's a pic of what i described in my last post.

sassydog
02-03-2006, 11:32 AM
here's one more of Rockman(left) and I

M-Funf
02-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Wow! Now that's a big bottle of Jack :eek:

Nice work!

Workin' 4 Toys
02-03-2006, 12:10 PM
best part is that where the label was, i cut into the bottle to have room for a two person bench.
I was trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about. Now it makes sense. Nice work.

erkoehler
02-03-2006, 12:46 PM
The bottle is even better in person.....

Workin' 4 Toys
02-03-2006, 12:49 PM
The bottle is even better in person.....
If I didn't know what you were talkin' about, I'd certainly would not have wanted to hear that!!!!8p

M-Funf
03-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Thought I'd just add to this one...

Finished framing 3 of the 4 walls, vapor barrier install almost complete. These pics are from last week. I'll add new ones after next week when I should have the outside completely enclosed...

2X6 walls, 2X8 ceiling (floor joists from above). R-19 in the walls and R-30 in the ceiling. Outswing exterior solid wood door will be located in the middle the wall that's not shown.

It's hard to get good pictures of this space since it's a relatively tight area...

I'll try to get better ones next time.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pdee5017eb7bb5f29dd93b9def3e7221e/eff9d12a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pd007ab8867f9bfcf2f05ff3f95a9fa29/eff9d148.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
03-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Lookin' good..... When does the freightliner of wine show up?

Mag_Red
03-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm building three cabinets to re-organize my home office. The Hon office furniture is Rock solid, but just takes up way too much room in my humble home. Hopefully when I'm finished I'll beable to reclaim part of my dining room. I'll post some pics if you're interested. I just figure you all are getting a little tired of my cabinet making by now :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-07-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm building three cabinets to re-organize my home office. The Hon office furniture is Rock solid, but just takes up way too much room in my humble home. Hopefully when I'm finished I'll beable to reclaim part of my dining room. I'll post some pics if you're interested. I just figure you all are getting a little tired of my cabinet making by now :D
It's the TV I am not interested in seeing any more pictures of......;)

Mag_Red
03-07-2006, 05:03 PM
It's the TV I am not interested in seeing any more pictures of......;)I'll make a mental note of that :D

agua4fun
03-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Here is my last wood working project
Id like to build a 16' sailboat next

André
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
WOW! Great wormanship!
What's the wood and how many hours?
Very very nice! :love:

erkoehler
03-07-2006, 07:53 PM

Whats the price tag on one of those?

André
03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Whats the price tag on one of those?
Erk
You CAN'T put a price tag on something like that,built with his own hands...and tools! :noface:

erkoehler
03-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Erk
You CAN'T put a price tag on something like that,built with his own hands...and tools! :noface:

I meant, how much did it cost to build?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-07-2006, 08:03 PM
My previous neighbor builds canoes and kayaks as a hobby in his basement and garage. He didn't like an audience, so I never got invited to learn his technique. It is something I would like to try one day.

ajgressette
03-07-2006, 08:06 PM
:wavey: Island Furnature by Cox (http://www.coxwood.com/outdoor_furniture.htm)

agua4fun
03-08-2006, 12:15 AM
WOW! Great wormanship!
What's the wood and how many hours?
Very very nice! :love:

Thanks!
The boat is 90% redwood strips, with a few strips of pine for accent.
It took somewhere in the area of 150 hours (about 6 months) working about an hour a day.

Erk, I got ya, looking at any where between 300 & 1500 bucks, depending on the wood, fiberglass, and resin choices. this one was about $700. use cedar and save time & money. the color is about the same.

agua4fun
03-08-2006, 12:18 AM
A Few More Pics
pic 3 shows the glass. amazing how it turns clear so well.

Mag_Red
03-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Could you make a Gondola???

agua4fun
03-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Could you make a Gondola???

I suppose, that would be kinda fun, and i could alomost use this plan, just make it a bit bigger. too much current in my river to use it though.

you'd be amazed, this realy isnt too difficult. it was my first try building anything without using 2x4's. and there is a forum just like this with guys helping each other out. www.kayakforum.com
there was so much info in the archive, i never even posted.

CoFooter
03-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Aqua, what type of sailboat. I built a 16' Herschoff day sailer a few years back. Great project, took about three years of Sunday afternoons.

agua4fun
03-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Aqua, what type of sailboat. I built a 16' Herschoff day sailer a few years back. Great project, took about three years of Sunday afternoons.

I guess I dont know what a Herschoff is. But i'd love to see a picture!

I really have no idea what to build, but the Swift Solo is really cool www.swiftsolo.org
Unfortunatly it may be a bit beyond my sailing level. I could handle it, but it would be an adventure. Something more along the lives of a Melges MC-scow would be nice. or an M16? www.melges.com/m16scows.html

M-Funf
03-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Lookin' good..... When does the freightliner of wine show up?

Actually, it's already about 3/4 full...we've been storing the wine in two separate wine cabinets...

I hope to be done in the next two months (before it starts getting warm). :toast:

Mag_Red
03-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Here's the lastest project...........The home office went from this........

Mag_Red
03-13-2006, 08:50 PM
and this...........

Mag_Red
03-13-2006, 08:51 PM
to this........all made of 3/4 poplar and stained to match the new living room furniture, I may actually be able to get a table in this room again :woohoo:

Mag_Red
03-13-2006, 08:53 PM
File drawers all along the bottom row

Mag_Red
03-13-2006, 08:54 PM
and custom sized drawers to hold all the blue prints that used to lay all over the place

erkoehler
03-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Only a painter would have unpainted walls.

Mag_Red
03-13-2006, 08:55 PM
And this ( not finished yet, still needs to get laquered) shows you just how anal I am about being organized :D

Mag_Red
03-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Only a painter would have unpainted walls. :rolleyes: Had to punch a whole in the wall to run new outlet and phone jack Eric :wavey:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2006, 12:40 AM
And this ( not finished yet, still needs to get laquered) shows you just how anal I am about being organized :D
Only someone that organized would post a picture of a checkbook with account name and number on the internet for all the world to see....;)

roddydog
03-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Wow, some nice projects here. Just a hobbyist myself, reno's etc. gotta love the tools.
Check out www.leevalley.com some pretty cool stuff. :cool:

M-Funf
03-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Mag, where did all your pictures go :(

Here's the most recent on my cellar. I've got all the walls up, vapor barrier almost complete as is wiring. I ended up putting a sub-panel in using an abandoned 220V/60A line from our old electric stove. Next I'll put up the lighting cans and then drywall the rest of the room inside and out...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/pf84cf5c888c2e3f2b27e6cad48cad7d0/efc28899.jpg

The hole in the wall is where the cooling unit goes...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/p4d0886a51c0aa9fc2d6135376828e07a/efc2885e.jpg

View from outside the cooling unit hole into the cellar...The main door is 36" wide. I really didn't want a door quite that large, but I got it at half price...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/p4c2a40b6f40cdc339cba123350645f2c/efc28820.jpg

erkoehler
11-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Any finished pics?

Mag_Red
11-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Mag, where did all your pictures go :(

Took them down. Someone said they could get all my accout numbers off the one pic. I'll repost them if you want. Your project is looking Great! I may have the ultimate project starting.........building a new home. Have the get the blue prints finalized, and get some preliminary bids to see if the cost is with in reason:cool:

M-Funf
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Any finished pics?

I need to upload some more finished pictures. These were taken before I trimmed out the door...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid205/p3ec19ea55aaa2622e0ce0f8074c6d814/ef0eac88.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid205/p844198f250d035bea664cda85fe9a358/ef0eac86.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid205/pe44c5f378f2095312fd00972a0c8cd04/ef0eac87.jpg

erkoehler
11-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Whats with the post-it notes?

M-Funf
11-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Whats with the post-it notes?

All of the wine is catalouged on the laptop you can see on the floor in one of the pictures. We keep track of each bottle, and its location (Columns by number, rows by letter). The post its were temporary number markers until I made up brass tags to label the rows and colums...which I haven't finished yet :o

erkoehler
11-06-2006, 01:55 PM
So, does that mean you have to subtract every bottle out of "inventory" when you drink it?

M-Funf
11-06-2006, 02:00 PM
So, does that mean you have to subtract every bottle out of "inventory" when you drink it?

Yessireee. Usually we just write down the maker, year, location on a piece of paper when we pull a bottle since it's too much effort to start up the laptop each time. Then when we get a chance, we update the database. Works pretty well...unless we've been drinkin' too much and forget to write it down, but that rarely happens :rolleyes:

erkoehler
11-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Yessireee. Usually we just write down the maker, year, location on a piece of paper when we pull a bottle since it's too much effort to start up the laptop each time. Then when we get a chance, we update the database. Works pretty well...unless we've been drinkin' too much and forget to write it down, but that rarely happens :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking....how many total bottles?

Mag_Red
11-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Yessireee. Usually we just write down the maker, year, location on a piece of paper when we pull a bottle since it's too much effort to start up the laptop each time. Then when we get a chance, we update the database. Works pretty well...unless we've been drinkin' too much and forget to write it down, but that rarely happens :rolleyes:I heard, through the grape vine, that Hoosier Bob uses a bar code scanner to keep track of his beer inventory;)

M-Funf
11-06-2006, 02:06 PM
That's what I was thinking....how many total bottles?

After our winery fall release roundup next week we should be just over 800, with a total capacity of just over 1,100.

I'm also designing cellars for two other friends of mine, but they're going to be smaller...

M-Funf
11-06-2006, 02:08 PM
I heard, through the grape vine, that Hoosier Bob uses a bar code scanner to keep track of his beer inventory;)

:uglyhamme:

SWEET!

Actually, I wanted to do that, but some of the wine we buy doesn't have barcodes on them (they never see a retail store, so they don't need 'em)

M-Funf
01-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Alright...

I'm almost done with the wainscoating in the house (finished another 15' or so over the holiday break).

Now I've got another project to work on. It's a tight fit with both cars in there, but it's on wheels, so I can move it around to work on it...

It's been too long in getting down here. I need to finish this in the next year or two:o

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid222/p0ba9c74a5c46c11cd57d3a3b7ae08753/eb32b3da.jpg

pq2
01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
what boat is that????

pq2
01-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I guess I dont know what a Herschoff is. But i'd love to see a picture!

I really have no idea what to build, but the Swift Solo is really cool www.swiftsolo.org
Unfortunatly it may be a bit beyond my sailing level. I could handle it, but it would be an adventure. Something more along the lives of a Melges MC-scow would be nice. or an M16? www.melges.com/m16scows.html

Agua,

That skiff looks cool, I have sail on 49ers and 29ers, im sure a single handed skiff will be a blast. Hope you build your own.

M-Funf
01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
what boat is that????

1956 Higgins Sport Speedster with a 390 cu.in. Cadillac V8 :cool:

pq2
01-08-2007, 02:16 PM
looks like a great project, good luck, post pics of the progress please

M-Funf
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
looks like a great project, good luck, post pics of the progress please

Mechanicals are done...:cool:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid222/p368d9db377ebc5bcfc237e9ebbddfc03/eb3244a2.jpg

Sodar
01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
That is sooooo cool! Nothing like a fresh motor!

agua4fun
01-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Agua,

That skiff looks cool, I have sail on 49ers and 29ers, im sure a single handed skiff will be a blast. Hope you build your own.
Yeah, I still havent decided to start one, but hopefully by this summer?
That 49er must have been so much fun.

M-Funf - post more pictures when you get some time. - looks like a good one.

M-Funf
02-16-2007, 12:00 PM
W4T's thread on portable table saws got me thinkin'.

I recently came into some cash, and want to buy a band saw. I will use it only to cut wood. I'd like to keep it under a thou, but if I creep up to $1,500 I won't be unhappy. That should include the saw, a mobile base (of course), and a couple of blades. It can be 110 or 220 as I have both available.

I've got a few in mind, but I would like some feedback from those who have tried them:

Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0457

Jet
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5249

Rikon (never heard of the brand)
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5220

Thoughts?

JimN
02-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I have the Grizzly G0555 and it has been really good for the little I have used it so far but there is no drift and I can re-saw white oak to less than 1/8". I also have their 1023S saw, 6'x47' jointer and 12-1/2" planer (older one, out of the lineup now). I use the saw the most but have planed a lot of different kinds of wood with great results over about 13 years. Jointer works well, too. A little small for some things but for the right sizes of boards, it's hard to beat.

I have had zero problems. their shipping was fine, although only the smaller pieces were shipped to my door- I picked the others up at the terminal.

Jet is good- basically the same thing. Rikon is supposed to be good- no first hand experience. Go to Taunton Press's forums called Knots. They have a lot of reviews there.

Monte
02-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Alright...

I'm almost done with the wainscoating in the house (finished another 15' or so over the holiday break).

Now I've got another project to work on. It's a tight fit with both cars in there, but it's on wheels, so I can move it around to work on it...

It's been too long in getting down here. I need to finish this in the next year or two:o

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid222/p0ba9c74a5c46c11cd57d3a3b7ae08753/eb32b3da.jpg

Looks like a fun project. good luck with it and good looking power plant...:cool:

M-Funf
02-16-2007, 02:04 PM
The GO555 is a 14" saw, right?

I'm having a tough time with this decision because I don't want to buy something that won't do everything I want it to...

When I bought my table saw, I went for the 3 hp left tilt...most I could afford and had space for. I'm just not sure if the 14" saw will do, but it sure would be easier to handle with a mobile base...dangit...I hate these decisions...

Workin' 4 Toys
02-16-2007, 02:09 PM
My 14" delta cabinet band did everything I expected. I liked the roller guides instead of the friction.
I believe it was a 1hp 120v... It had a 24" inch fence.

(It too has left the building, for the same reason as the other..:o )

Jesus_Freak
02-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Here is a project from last year...

M-Funf
02-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Here is a project from last year...

Very nice work there, J_F. I'm working on wainscoating right now myself. I think I posted on it before, but here's before and after shots:

Before:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/pf0967fb22ae6ddf9c344da17f77dc1ac/f09b89b9.jpg

During:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/pa4ace0066957d9425848bb58669fb5d8/f09df5a4.jpg

After:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/pbbeca0e413c90039a9b095b1d37095f5/f09df8cb.jpg

Close up:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/p56fd7cccb4bd1cb746a5124db42eac84/f09df8e6.jpg

I have since added a shelf (plate rail) on top of this...but don't have a picture of that.

Evan Jones
02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
W4T's thread on portable table saws got me thinkin'.

I recently came into some cash, and want to buy a band saw. I will use it only to cut wood. I'd like to keep it under a thou, but if I creep up to $1,500 I won't be unhappy. That should include the saw, a mobile base (of course), and a couple of blades. It can be 110 or 220 as I have both available.

I've got a few in mind, but I would like some feedback from those who have tried them:

Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0457

Jet
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5249

Rikon (never heard of the brand)
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5220

Thoughts?

Mom wanted to get Dad a new bandsaw for his shop. Went down to the local Woodcraft store and was talked into the 14" Powermatic bandsaw. A very nice rig for around $900 with base and blades.

Jesus_Freak
02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Very nice work there, J_F. I'm working on wainscoating right now myself. I think I posted on it before, but here's before and after shots:

I have since added a shelf (plate rail) on top of this...but don't have a picture of that.

Very cool indeed! Did you find that yours was twice as hard and 3x as expensive as you thought initially?

M-Funf
02-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Very cool indeed! Did you find that yours was twice as hard and 3x as expensive as you thought initially?

:uglyhamme

Naw, not really. It was a bit more expensive than I thought it would be, but not much. When it really got expensive was after my wife saw it and said it looked great and asked if I could do the rest of the foyer and up the stairs (5X more wood) :eek3:

Kevin 89MC
02-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Here are a few shots of my basement stair handrail. When I started on my basement remodel, I cut a section of the wall away to get material in and out. I was planning on putting the wall back up, but liked the open feeling, so ended up doing this:

herringtech
02-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Basement shop for me. I did build a sweet swimboad for the MC down there. You can see it on the thread I started for it http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8859

Going to finsish the basement this spring too.

JimN
02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Mfunf- it's a 14" lighter duty saw. I bought the riser block for re-sawing but if I need to cut any heavy timbers or anything like that, I would want something else.

Slinkyredfoot
02-18-2007, 09:40 PM
I love restoring antique stuff, restoring vintage pieces and reselling, I also have numerous tools of the trade. If I work on old stuff, I use ole tools, new stuff new tools, I like to fit the project to the time period, therapy when I can't be on the water.

Jesus_Freak
04-20-2007, 01:24 PM
So, I finished my spring project. Before:

Jesus_Freak
04-20-2007, 01:24 PM
After...........it is hard to see the metallic flake sparkly granite, but it surrounds the firebox.

Maristar210
04-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Whoa!!

Nice JF, real nice...

Sodar
04-20-2007, 01:50 PM
After...........it is hard to see the metallic flake sparkly granite, but it surrounds the firebox.

Very Nice Job JF!

M-Funf
06-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Wow...Very nice JF. Didn't see that post earlier...

M-Funf
06-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Got one more woodwork project finished last week. I made these for the wifes Kimber TLE-RLII. I used Walnut gunstock (scrap material from a gun stock manufacturer that they sell as firewood). The rubber grips were nice, but sorta boring, so I thought I'd take a stab at some gunsmithing...took me about 10 hours to this stage. I'm going to checker them next...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p5c219eb121fba20aab6ca2b1e479852a/e941dc4d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pecc87aff43b966f8fb548a195ac1150f/e941dc11.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p3c132169f040ce3297e4d75c8c02cbac/e941dbfb.jpg

kdr
06-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Nice looking grips M-funf. I really like the plain look with out the checkering. If it were me, I'd keep em that way since there is already checkering on the main spring housing and the fore strap.

slink976
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
shady tree wood worker here. I tried to put myself through college by being a carpenter but that didn't work out. so now I just break stuff so I can fix it and buy new tools!!!

M-Funf
06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I've actually got another set going. The grain on the next set is much more interesting, and the bookmatching much better than this set, so I'm going to checker this set and leave the next set smooth. Here's a shot of the second set in progress...

I just think the grain on this will look sweet when it's finished...:cool:

But, I don't know how good "gun control" will be without checkering. The wife will be at the range with the smooth grips this week to check it out. If grouping suffers, checkering is a "go"...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p5431af655515e89e3b70f34bd8291717/e9682213.jpg

Sodar
06-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Alright...

M-Funf... How is this project going?

M-Funf
06-05-2007, 01:20 PM
M-Funf... How is this project going?

Coming along slowly :o

Funny you brought it up, though. The wife came down to the garage while I was working on the boat last weekend, and she wanted to "talk" about it. (uh, oh...). Turns out, she wants me to spend MORE time working on the boat because it seems like I'm really starting to make some progress...but of course she also wants the upstairs bathroom remodeled, the basement finished, the water heater relocated, the laundry room redone, the doors and trim stripped and refinished, and the wainscoating finished...

How am I supposed to get any skiing in???

On the project, I've got all but one of the bottom frames in. I'm starting to work on the transom. Then I'll add the battens on the bottom frames. I expect that to take another 3-4 weeks. Then I can strip the sides off since the frame will have enough structure.

I'll try to get a few pictures once I clean the space up a bit...

Sodar
06-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Very Cool!! Can not wait to see it!! On the way home from the river this weekend, there was a 1946 22' Chris-Craft at the gas station. It was a direct drive and set up just like a modern day direct drive MC. The boat was restored beautifully though... he had bought it from a restoration guy though, it would be much cooler to be able to restore yourself!

M-Funf
08-01-2007, 12:51 PM
So, about a month ago, the wife and I were drinkin' :rolleyes: , and we decided in our euphoric state that we (get your mind out of the gutter) would take all the doors out of the house, as well as the stairway railing to have it all stripped...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pbd56cc0e31883700ff35a9f848555e0c/e84f02fe.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p699f1662130be23642774551fcdf8404/e84f02e3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pdcb12671ec63b50490db91438459ad58/e84f02c6.jpg

M-Funf
08-01-2007, 12:56 PM
All bundled up and ready to go out to the shop...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pd0511855db07f19641d3308f028d3234/e84f02a5.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of a few of the doors before...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pb42cb28b1e0a80f07a769c31672d1ce5/e84efe36.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pa58be5503890216e0e92f1d0523ac0d2/e84efdcd.jpg

M-Funf
08-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Railing parts and doors are back from the shop...100 years of paint...GONE!

now there just some sanding and light scraping to get the last bits out...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pa7dfd86360f92739cac4ab3e64fdcd9d/e84ef760.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p74da12b899b48e13492affb537d75761/e84ef748.jpg

If you're going to do much scraping of paint, I HIGHLY recommend the Bahco Carbide scrapers. I've got a complete set with all the shaped tips for different pieces...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pb27f886d138fdae2180a5e8a37e2ae60/e84ef72f.jpg

Now I've got about 3 hours work per door to get them sanded, sealed and oiled, hardware stripped and oiled and back in the house. 3hr/door X 11 doors is...ummmm...(carries the one)...a LOT of martini's :D

Rockman
08-01-2007, 02:00 PM
M-F,

Looks great!

How much did you wind up paying by having it done vs. doing it yourself?

M-Funf
08-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Stripping wood is a nasty, nasty, NASTY chore. There are no companies in my county, or for that matter most counties near me, that will do wood stripping.

I stripped the first door myself in the yard using a chemical stripper followed by hand scraping, sanding, etc. The whole process took me about 16 hours, plus almost half a gallon of stripper at $30/gallon...

I was lucky enough to find a guy out in Pittsburg, CA who does wood stripping and furniture restoration. He picks up and delivers. He charged me $100/door to strip them, which seemed expensive until I remembered how long each door took me...

Rockman
08-01-2007, 02:19 PM
That's really not too bad considering the labor time as you had mentioned. I totally agree that stripping wood that has either varnish, paint, etc. on it takes a ton of time and patience.

How much more work do you have to do on them. What are your plans for staining, etc.?

M-Funf
08-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Rockman,
I got one door ready for finish last night, and it took me one hour. So that means 10 more hours for the rest of the doors. I think the railing parts will take me about 6-8 hours, and then scraping the parts that are still in the house will be another 20-30 hours.

In the meantime, I can be finishing the doors and railing parts. I finished one door a couple of weeks ago with the following:

1 coat McClosky's wood sealer, followed by 3 coats Tung Oil (wet sanding between each coat).

The sheen wasn't as nice as I would like, so I'm looking for a better method...

Linseed Oil?
Wax after oil?

I'd rather stay away from polymer finishes if I can.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here's a picture of the first door I completed:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p457dcf7d2af2ba0f7c3348bd54e85400/e84eb425.jpg

Rockman
08-01-2007, 06:15 PM
That came out awesome!

My help when it comes to finishes would be as helpful as a one legged guy in an a$$ kicking contest.:D

I haven't had much experience with refinishing wood like that. My sister and brother in law had bought an older home in the SW suburbs of Chicago. The house was big but needed alot of work but it was located 1 block from the train station so they bit the bullet and bought it.

They had re-finished all their doors and woodwork (except for the windows which were all replaced) because of the style of the house and they wanted to keep it original, etc. So needless to say, it took them a few years to get it all done.

But the kicker of the story is that the week after we finished re-habbing the entire house (any free weekends for me for about 6 years), they put it up for sale and moved to Madison. I was like NOOOOO!:mad:

But whoever bought the house hasn't done anything with it besides a new garage. I often pass the house on my way home from work. It still look very nice.

Keep up the good work, it will be well worth it!;)

fintek9
08-02-2007, 01:09 AM
I play with wood making, never the same thing twice. craft mostly.
love to work wood into something, I get an idea and go from there.
My dad's a championship bird carver, Took top bird at the Mich. state fair years back, My oldest brother has a weaving loom business.
Other brother is into wood, his son works for a custom wood work shop.
He supply's me with all my exotic woods.
Wish I had more pics of my work. usually give it away!
Here's my boat, panels where blistering and rough so I made new ones out of an African rain forest wood called "Jatooba"(spell?) put brass X inlays, pics don't do justice!

fintek9
08-02-2007, 01:14 AM
another.....

fintek9
08-02-2007, 01:17 AM
made new throttle handle out of same wood

fintek9
08-02-2007, 01:19 AM
made my wife a box to show her arrow heads off..

fintek9
08-02-2007, 01:22 AM
here's a carving with my boys feathers off the last woodcock we got together...silly stuff like this I like making!
White oak..

fintek9
08-02-2007, 01:26 AM
back........I love the grain of wood!!!!

fintek9
08-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Then had to mount my boys first arrow kill deer. Next trip up to the cabin got my fav. pieces there, get pics.
Black walnut.

JimN
08-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Fintek- Jatoba is South American, often called Brazilian Cherry. Nice looking wood and very durable, though.

fintek9
08-02-2007, 11:13 AM
ohhhhh, going to go back to my source on this one!! Thanx....
love that wood, nice to work with. has an awsome grain to it..

JimN
08-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure about Jatoba but some woods produce really fine dust and you need to be careful about breathing it. It's widely used for flooring, too. Nice looking, very durable and from what I have heard, nice to work with. Any woodworking should be done with a dust mask but some are capable of causing lung problems (woods with high silica content, like teak and koa) and allergic reactions (like walnut and other nut woods). www.tauntonpress.com has links to various sources for info on different exotic woods.

fintek9
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
oh yea, The dust is so fine with this wood, unique smell also. have all the proper ventilation, I do use a mask when on my band saw or sanding.

M-Funf
10-24-2007, 04:14 PM
New Vanity for the bathroom remodel, coming up next month...

Phillipine Mahogany. Beaded edging on doors and case. Semi-Gloss poly finish. Hand made feet (that sounds funny)...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce05b3127ccebf413239d84b00000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce05b3127ccebf413218595a00000025100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce05b3127ccebf4132fc59be00000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce05b3127ccebf4132d2599000000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

more............

M-Funf
10-24-2007, 04:16 PM
The top will be 3/4" Carrerra Marble with double sinks, oil rubbed bronze fixtures and pulls. The drawers have full extension soft close slides...

Fun stuff...

More pictures.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce05b3127ccebf4132c6598400000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce05b3127ccebf4132ce598c00000025100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

fintek9
10-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Very nice look, love the twotone. good job!

Roonie's
10-24-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure about Jatoba but some woods produce really fine dust and you need to be careful about breathing it. It's widely used for flooring, too. Nice looking, very durable and from what I have heard, nice to work with. Any woodworking should be done with a dust mask but some are capable of causing lung problems (woods with high silica content, like teak and koa) and allergic reactions (like walnut and other nut woods). www.tauntonpress.com has links to various sources for info on different exotic woods.

Yes it is similar to IPE wood which I used for a 700 sq ft deck and posts and caps. Also used it for a smaller deck with built in hottub. It is nasty stuff to breathe in and it gives me a rash if the dust stays on your skin as it feels like it burns. But the wood is solid and heavy and will last a lifetime. Looks good when treated otherwise it will naturally gray.

Mag_Red
10-24-2007, 05:31 PM
New Vanity for the bathroom remodel, coming up next month...

Phillipine Mahogany. Beaded edging on doors and case. Semi-Gloss poly finish. Hand made feet (that sounds funny)...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce05b3127ccebf413239d84b00000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

more............ How do you do the beaded edging??? Router?? Just wondering. Man I wish I had the time to make my cabinets for the house I'm building.........I hate the fact the bottoms are only 3/8" And when you want a full plywood box you pay through the nose:mad: I love the cabinets I made in the houseboat.:cool:

M-Funf
10-24-2007, 05:40 PM
How do you do the beaded edging??? Router??

Hey Mag,
Sort of. The beaded edges are separate pieces because it would be very difficult to get the corners right otherwise. Make sense? The groove would either taper off toward the corners (like some cheap purchased units are) or it would have to extend into the rails and stiles. So I cut some narrow strips and put a half-round on one edge and nailed those in place. I'll see if I can get a more detailed picture, or if I can find my sketches and take a picture of that...

Jeff.

Mag_Red
10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey Mag,
Sort of. The beaded edges are separate pieces because it would be very difficult to get the corners right otherwise. Make sense? The groove would either taper off toward the corners (like some cheap purchased units are) or it would have to extend into the rails and stiles. So I cut some narrow strips and put a half-round on one edge and nailed those in place. I'll see if I can get a more detailed picture, or if I can find my sketches and take a picture of that...

Jeff. Thanks Jeff! You do very nice work......would love to talk wood working with you some time.:cool:

M-Funf
10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks Jeff! You do very nice work......would love to talk wood working with you some time.:cool:

One of these times I'll have to make it down to Mag Mania. We can drink martini's and talk sawdust. This just wasn't the year :(

Mag_Red
10-24-2007, 06:12 PM
One of these times I'll have to make it down to Mag Mania. We can drink martini's and talk sawdust. This just wasn't the year :(
hell with all the projects you have going, I can't see you making it next year either:D

M-Funf
10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
hell with all the projects you have going, I can't see you making it next year either:D

The real problem is that with all these projects, I'll never be able to get in SHAPE for Mag Mania:mad:

M-Funf
10-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Hey Mag,
Here's the details on the beaded edge. Cut the strips on the table saw, then routed the edge, then mitered them to fit and attached...

Still a bit hard to tell with the pictures. I couldn't get a better shot with my crappy camera...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce04b3127ccebf779cd980dd00000025110EcMW7Fm5bsZ

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce04b3127ccebf779cc380c700000025110EcMW7Fm5bsZ

Willski
10-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Very nice work. I used to do a little woodworking too. We rented a house from a friend of ours while he was out of the country and he left all of his tools for us. Now I don't have the equipment.

I'll post a few of my projects.

Willski
10-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Another. White oak tables. Nothing quite like some of you guys.

M-Funf
10-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Both nice pieces...

M-Funf
11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I've started demo on the bath remodel. There is an area on either side of a round dormer that have sloped walls (underside of roof). These were closed off, and there's just open space behind them. I'm going to open them up to make room for a longer tub and longer vanity.

I'm also adding beadboard around the room (48" high). I haven't figured out how to deal with the funny angled wall/roof.

If you have a few moments, please look at the attached pictures and drawings and let me know your opinions!

I hope these drawings make sense...I'll add a couple of "current" pictures as well.

Design #1
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf24b3127ccebfa18008dcd300000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

Design #2
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf24b3127ccebfa180f2dc2900000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

Design #3
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf24b3127ccebfa180f0dc2b00000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

Design #4
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf24b3127ccebfa180fedc2500000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

M-Funf
11-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Pictures...sorry, they suck.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf24b3127ccebfa197ab9ce300000025100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf24b3127ccebfa197961dee00000026100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

lanier92prostar
11-05-2007, 08:39 PM
I like designs 2 and 4, but sometimes things look different on the walls than in pictures and drawings. I have put beadboard in 4 rooms in my house. In my previous house, one of the rooms was a bonus room over the garage with funny angles. I started with the beadboard on the angles and then took it off because it did not look right. For some reason the section of beadboard on the angle always looked like it was

Mag_Red
11-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey Mag,
Here's the details on the beaded edge. Cut the strips on the table saw, then routed the edge, then mitered them to fit and attached...

Still a bit hard to tell with the pictures. I couldn't get a better shot with my crappy camera...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce04b3127ccebf779cd980dd00000025110EcMW7Fm5bsZ

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce04b3127ccebf779cc380c700000025110EcMW7Fm5bsZ Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

CarlosCabanas
11-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Jeff

My vote is for either #2 or #4, I'd say it depends on the quality of workmanship. 2 will look good and is easier. 4 could look nice but if poorly done might not look good at all. After seeing some of your pics, I figure you could go for either or....

Carlos

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Workin' on a little project.
Hope you guys can help me find something. The devices I've found are less than desirable, and you might save me a trip to the premium hardware store.;)
I need a device, hydraulic or mechanical that will hold a lid open when desired, and let it close slow when released either automatically or with a finger pull. Mainly to save "small" fingers from being crushed and/or pinched under the lid.

bcampbe7
08-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Hope you guys can help me find something. The devices I've found are less than desirable, and you might save me a trip to the premium hardware store.;)
I need a device, hydraulic or mechanical that will hold a lid open when desired, and let it close slow when released either automatically or with a finger pull. Mainly to save "small" fingers from being crushed and/or pinched under the lid.

Garage door opener? :D I kid, I kid...

Sounds like you need an electric linear actuator.

They use them in high end car sound systems.

M-Funf
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't know if soft close hinges will work with a vertically opening lid, but you can call them and ask..

Soft Close Rockler hinges (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16923&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=PI&utm_campaign=2008)

This one would probably work better...It's even got the right name:

Toy box lid support (http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewProducts.asp?Cat=666)

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Garage door opener? :D I kid, I kid...

Sounds like you need an electric linear actuator.

They use them in high end car sound systems.

Nothing electric for this.
Just building a cherry cabinet to hold a couple garbage cans and a robot...:cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't know if soft close hinges will work with a vertically opening lid, but you can call them and ask..

Soft Close Rockler hinges (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16923&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=PI&utm_campaign=2008)

This one would probably work better...It's even got the right name:

Toy box lid support (http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewProducts.asp?Cat=666)
Believe it or not, the "toy box lid supports" I have already. I don't like them. Also have a the brass friction slide bars with stops..Don't like them either.:o

Oh, and the hinges. I have those for the doors (Mine a different brand though), And I'm using exposed hinges for the lids.

RexDog1
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM

Something like this????:confused::confused:

http://cars.about.com/od/chevrolet/ig/2006-Chevrolet-Impala/2006-Chevrolet-Impala-hood-str.htm

oh nice to see you Toys:D

M-Funf
08-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Believe it or not, the "toy box lid supports" I have already. I don't like them. Also have a the brass friction slide bars with stops..Don't like them either.:o

Are the toy box lid supports just a spring? That would mean you'd have to have the load just perfect to get it to close slowly and not open back up...

Gas shocks...one on each side is my only other suggestion.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Something like this????:confused::confused:

http://cars.about.com/od/chevrolet/ig/2006-Chevrolet-Impala/2006-Chevrolet-Impala-hood-str.htm

oh nice to see you Toys:D

You too Rex.:D

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Are the toy box lid supports just a spring? That would mean you'd have to have the load just perfect to get it to close slowly and not open back up...

Gas shocks...one on each side is my only other suggestion.

Yes, they are a very tight spring, which means that will actually slam the lid down harder.

I was thinking something like a shock also, but it needs to be a very short throw, with little effort to open and won't "pull" it closed either.

I will be using knobs on the lids, but you know as well as I do, there will be a finger in there eventually. A small hydraulic closer would be ideal....Just need to find one that has hold open, and adjustable close.

JimN
08-13-2008, 05:11 PM
How about these?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=48640&cat=3,41419,43745

coz
08-13-2008, 05:20 PM
MC Construction is up and running in Arizona. I am doing custom kitchen & baths and remodels for Expo (Home Depot) and The Great Indoors (Sears) I was also a contractor in california prior to my move. Been doing this since I got out of high school.

MC are my initials so no it's not MasterCraft construction, although my cali license was kinda close, MC CabinetCraft :D

Workin' 4 Toys
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks Jim. I might try those while I continue to search.

coz
08-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Here's a kitchen remodel built, finished & installed by a white guy with a tan :D
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/cabs001.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/cabs002.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/cabs003.jpg

flipper
08-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Oh great....another wine drinker :D

PS.205
08-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Looks good Coz!!

mlay
08-29-2008, 06:24 PM
nice work Coz...I like the way the coutertops extend to the backsplash...nice touch

M-Funf
08-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Very nice...

coz
08-29-2008, 06:45 PM
nice work Coz...I like the way the coutertops extend to the backsplash...nice touch

Thanks, full height back splash :D the homeowner has a cool rack that's going to mount in that space above the cooktop, no hood the cooktop has a pop-up down draft

Oh great....another wine drinker

A well off retired couple from Scottsdale that like there wine :D that's just for the within arms reach bottles, they have a wine cellar/room for the good stuff :banana:

mlay
08-29-2008, 06:50 PM
ohhh...... how you can have fun and be creative when its others money. Nice that you could do it up that way.

M-Funf
08-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks, full height back splash :D the homeowner has a cool rack that's going to mount in that space above the cooktop, no hood the cooktop has a pop-up down draft

A well off retired couple from Scottsdale that like there wine :D that's just for the within arms reach bottles, they have a wine cellar/room for the good stuff :banana:

Like this? :rolleyes:

coz
08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Like this? :rolleyes:

Pretty much Funf :D you wino :banana: nice :headbang:

M-Funf
08-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Pretty much Funf :D you wino :banana: nice :headbang:

I've said it before, I'll say it again...

I have 800 bottles of wine. I choose to drink Martinis :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
08-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again...

I have 800 bottles of wine. I choose to hang out in San Francisco bath houses. :)

So its BYOB there. :confused:

M-Funf
10-17-2008, 02:38 PM
So its BYOB there. :confused:

What's a bath house :confused:

This is sort of a woodworking project I've nearly finished up. This stariway and bannister was painted with at least 4 coats of paint. I tore it all out, stripped all the paint, and re-assembled the pieces, finished in place (just oil, no poly).

Before. You can see that the ballusters were all dovetailed into the edge of the stair treads. The dovetailing (I found out later) was all done by hand, on site...

During. I had sanded the stairs before this point. I couldn't find any pictures of that...If I do, I'll post one up.

Top Landing Looking down:

This post is a 6" X 6" piece of Doug Fir that goes all the way through the basement to a piling on the ground...

Current. Not quite done, as you can see a couple of spots that I haven't finished scraping, but gettin' close...

M-Funf
10-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Here's a view of the stairs when we removed the carpet :(

jmac197
10-17-2008, 03:04 PM
MF

Nice work, it's a shame to see that beautiful wood painted over...what were they thinking?

Sodar
10-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Looks awesome, Jeff! How many hours do you have invested?

On a side note, have you done anything with the wood boat you have?

M-Funf
10-17-2008, 03:51 PM
MF

Nice work, it's a shame to see that beautiful wood painted over...what were they thinking?

The house was in the same family since it was built in 1904. The family business was painting... The paint was really in great condition, but I just couldn't see why they would cover the wood underneath...

Looks awesome, Jeff! How many hours do you have invested?

On a side note, have you done anything with the wood boat you have?

Cam, I've probably got 400-500 hours in the stairwell alone.

Sorry to say that I've been spending most of my time on the house, not the boat. Once the painters are done with the outside of the house (they started yesterday, should be done in about 6-8 weeks) I'll be done with most of the "required" projects, and will have more time for the boat. I know the wife (and I) will be happy when it's done and out of the garage, ready for the next toy... :D

russlars
10-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Just finishing up with some wainscot on the walls of a new room we added on to our house recently. This will serve as a home office. I'm happy with how it turned out.:)

M-Funf
10-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Looks great! Is that all custom work, or some kind of kit?

russlars
10-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Looks great! Is that all custom work, or some kind of kit?
Thanks for the compliment. To answer your question, it is all custom. I looked into various types of kits all of which had the shortcoming of the panels and or stiles ending up various sizes in the corners. Since this was all custom designed for the room all of the panels and stiles are exactly the same dimension (except for my one little short wall by the door).

skeeler
10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Looks good, Russlars!
Here is my latest woodworking project. Building a new set LCR's for my home theater.

russlars
10-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Looks good, Russlars!
Here is my latest woodworking project. Building a new set LCR's for my home theater.
Looks like some interesting baffles you have going on there Skeeler. Is there some science behind your design?

skeeler
10-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Looks like some interesting baffles you have going on there Skeeler. Is there some science behind your design?
Ya, it is a transmission line speaker. So, below the last baffle it will be routed out for a port. Should have these done in the next week or so, I will keep ya all posted!

mpm32
10-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Those look like GR Research AV3 and an AV3S for a center channel. I built the center channel and will be building the AV3 when my addition is done.

You will like them. Very good bang for the buck.

skeeler
10-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Those look like GR Research AV3 and an AV3S for a center channel. I built the center channel and will be building the AV3 when my addition is done.

You will like them. Very good bang for the buck.
They are!! I am anxious to hear them. I built 5-AV-2's in our last home theater, and I was very pleased with them.

ski_king
10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Nice looking speakers skeeler, but I prefer the photos you post in the swimsuit thread better.

M-Funf
10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the compliment. To answer your question, it is all custom. I looked into various types of kits all of which had the shortcoming of the panels and or stiles ending up various sizes in the corners. Since this was all custom designed for the room all of the panels and stiles are exactly the same dimension (except for my one little short wall by the door).

Beautiful work! What kind of wood did you use? I've done wainscot before (pictures earlier in this thread I think), but have never painted it, just oiled Mahogany...

Nice boxes Skeeler!

russlars
10-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Beautiful work! What kind of wood did you use? I've done wainscot before (pictures earlier in this thread I think), but have never painted it, just oiled Mahogany...

Nice boxes Skeeler!
Thanks Jeff. The panels are MDF since it is painted. The top rail and base are finger jointed pine. I chose painted to match the rest of the wood trim in the house.

Mag_Red
10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks Jeff. The panels are MDF since it is painted. The top rail and base are finger jointed pine. I chose painted to match the rest of the wood trim in the house.did you route the MDF yourself??? Or buy them pre-made?? Looks great

russlars
10-29-2008, 05:32 PM
did you route the MDF yourself??? Or buy them pre-made?? Looks great
I worked with a place in Connecticut called Wainscot Solutions (found them on the internet). I sent them all of my room dimensions and they custom designed the wainscot panels to fit the room. They pre-assembled the panels and ground freighted them to me in 6-8 ft sections. When I got them I put the panels together and did some fine fitting, cut out for the electrical outlets, prepainted and attached to the panels to the walls. Then attached the base and top rails. It really came together pretty easily. I would highly recommend this company. They did a great job and were easy to work with and kept all of their promises.:)

coz
10-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Here's a kitchen I just finished in Ahwatukee, Az

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/cabs003-1.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/cabs002-1.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/cabs001-1.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/cabs004.jpg

TX.X-30 fan
10-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Here's a view of the stairs when we removed the carpet :(

Great stuff M-funf you must have amazing patience, did it hurt to cut through the dovetail stuff? Did I miss something here or could you not have stripped them in place? Very cool place and now you have the doors? Thanks for sharing the Pics and info.

wpauling
11-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I finished making this Singer sewing machine cabinet with quarter sawn oak for a friend. He originally purchased it in an auction sale and the cabinet was weathered and falling apart.

It was quite an adventure bending the wood, resawing sides to thickness, and cutting the drawers to the original specs so one could use the original hardware (minus the screws).

M-Funf
11-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Great stuff M-funf you must have amazing patience, did it hurt to cut through the dovetail stuff? Did I miss something here or could you not have stripped them in place? Very cool place and now you have the doors? Thanks for sharing the Pics and info.

I didn't have to cut through the dovetails. I removed a piece of trim at the edge of the step and slid them out sideways.

Stripping them in place would have been pretty tough. I removed everything, measured and marked them all carefully and then had them dipped at a local shop. That got most of the paint off, then I scraped and sanded the rest. On the stairs, I just used scrapers and lots of sandpaper...the whole project took me over a year...:(

Kevin 89MC
11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
I finished making this Singer sewing machine cabinet with quarter sawn oak for a friend. He originally purchased it in an auction sale and the cabinet was weathered and falling apart.

It was quite an adventure bending the wood, resawing sides to thickness, and cutting the drawers to the original specs so one could use the original hardware (minus the screws).

Holy cow, nice job! What a cool project, awesome woodworking, neat machine-with a 1 footpower engine! Does the machine work? I have a ~40's era Singer (electric) that I have used for several boat projects. That thing is as stout as the MC!
Kevin

wpauling
11-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Holy cow, nice job! What a cool project, awesome woodworking, neat machine-with a 1 footpower engine! Does the machine work? I have a ~40's era Singer (electric) that I have used for several boat projects. That thing is as stout as the MC!
Kevin

Thanks Kevin -
She moves along as fast as you can pump it... I'm still in awe how heavy duty the machines are put together. I never thought of getting one for redoing interiors... they certainly are built to take it.

coz
12-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Not sure why the spots in the pic
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/kit001.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/kit002.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/kit003.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/kit004.jpg

coz
12-19-2008, 06:57 PM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/kit005.jpg

mpm32
12-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Ghosts. You captured ghosts in the pic. ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Wow, coz, looks real nice.

ski_king
11-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Now that is is "off season" for most of us, I thought I would open up an old thread.

A couple of years ago, I sold my old radial arm saw as it was just taking up space, with the intent of getting a compound miter saw when my next project came up.

Well, my next project came up as I am putting trim on new door on my house and in the spring/summer, I plan to replace 10 windows in my house and will be trimming them out as well.

Any suggestions on what to buy? I dont need anything fancy. Right now, I think I am looking for a sliding one to allow me to cut some larger boards as well as trim. Size is a concern as I plan to store it on a shelf in my shed when not in use. Idealy, I am looking to spend $200 or less, but will go higher if necessary. I may end up selling it if it seems to be sitting and collecting dust after my project is complete.

SkiDog
11-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Now that is is "off season" for most of us, I thought I would open up an old thread.

A couple of years ago, I sold my old radial arm saw as it was just taking up space, with the intent of getting a compound miter saw when my next project came up.

Well, my next project came up as I am putting trim on new door on my house and in the spring/summer, I plan to replace 10 windows in my house and will be trimming them out as well.

Any suggestions on what to buy? I dont need anything fancy. Right now, I think I am looking for a sliding one to allow me to cut some larger boards as well as trim. Size is a concern as I plan to store it on a shelf in my shed when not in use. Idealy, I am looking to spend $200 or less, but will go higher if necessary. I may end up selling it if it seems to be sitting and collecting dust after my project is complete.

You're not gonna buy ANY sliding compound miter saw for $200.00, unless you find a deal on one at a pawn shop! But thats the way to buy expensive tools like that....@ the pawn shop!

ski_king
11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
I did see two cheap ones at sears. A no name for about $130 and a Crapsman for about $190. Both looked like ones to stay away from, but then again it will not be seeing a lot of use.

Thanks for the pawn shop suggestion. I bet between there and craigslist there may be some up for sale from down on luck contractors.

JohnE
11-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I'd just get a 10" compound miter with that budget. Even that will cost a little upward of $200. The sliding one is nice but probably around $500. doesn't sound like you need one for your project. Maybe check craiglist and find a deal?

rjracin240
11-10-2010, 12:42 PM
I'd just get a 10" compound miter with that budget. Even that will cost a little upward of $200. The sliding one is nice but probably around $500. doesn't sound like you need one for your project. Maybe check craiglist and find a deal?

There is always the chinese store for cheap copies of more expensive products. Might be worth looking at but as they said on that one Brady Bunch show caveat emptor (kah-vee-ott emptor) Latin for "let the buyer beware."

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/miter-saws.html

M-Funf
02-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Time to revive this old thread...

This is my X-Mas break project. It took a bit longer than I thought, but I did finally get it done...

SkiDog
02-22-2012, 04:35 PM
I guess now I gotta post pics of my bada$$ assembly table I've been building!

russlars
02-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Time to revive this old thread...

This is my X-Mas break project. It took a bit longer than I thought, but I did finally get it done...
Looks great. Just wondering about the wire hanger for your flat screen? The wall mount should certainly be adequate. ???

M-Funf
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Looks great. Just wondering about the wire hanger for your flat screen? The wall mount should certainly be adequate. ???

The wall hanger is way more than enough for the 20# TV. I wanted it to look like it was hanging from the picture rail like the other pictures in the house...

quincyfirefighter
02-23-2012, 01:11 AM
I like. Classy nice use of space ;)

M-Funf
02-23-2012, 01:22 AM
I like. Classy nice use of space ;)

Thanks, man.

Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is well.

SkiDog
02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
You better put a receptical cover on that receptical behind that chair, or I'm calling the building inspectors on your behind!:D:D:D

quincyfirefighter
02-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks, man.

Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is well.

Doing aright, been around just not much to say. :D

SkiDog
03-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Ok, here's the dead flat assembly table I built a few months ago. Great for building picture frames and bed headboards and such. While I'm at it, here's a few pics of those too.

Kyle
03-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow DOG that is some real nice work there!!!

JohnnyB
03-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Love the dog w the rooster. Your lab?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

SkiDog
03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Love the dog w the rooster. Your lab?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Yea, thats Boomer. His very first hunt with NO training! proud papa!

2RLAKE
03-11-2012, 09:13 PM
here is a hickory pistol case i made for my great grandpa's .32 revolver .. had some wormy hickory left over from some shutters i made. I lined it with doe skin

M-Funf
03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Very nice!

Workin' 4 Toys
12-13-2012, 09:03 PM
here is a hickory pistol case i made for my great grandpa's .32 revolver .. had some wormy hickory left over from some shutters i made. I lined it with doe skin
That's pretty cool

dfmaus
12-13-2012, 09:19 PM
I hope those are used primers in the frame :)

Yea, thats Boomer. His very first hunt with NO training! proud papa!

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2012, 12:19 AM

Nice work. Really clean .32 - how about some details?

quincyfirefighter
12-14-2012, 11:10 AM
That's pretty cool

Hey Workin good to hear from ya. Where have you been. Hope all is good :cool: