PDA

View Full Version : PowerPoint Question

BriEOD
01-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey guys and gals I have a .ppt question for anyone who has experience with my situation. I am building a slide show of photos for a ceremony and need to set it to music. I am very familiar with .ppt but have never tried to set anything to music. I ran a search and found something under microsoft help, but it was not extremely helpful. Any constructive comments/assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Cloaked
01-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Hey guys and gals I have a .ppt question for anyone who has experience with my situation. I am building a slide show of photos for a ceremony and need to set it to music. I am very familiar with .ppt but have never tried to set anything to music. I ran a search and found something under microsoft help, but it was not extremely helpful. Any constructive comments/assistance is appreciated. Thanks.
Insert on the tool bar
Movies and Sound.
Select your choice, done deal.

milkmania
01-19-2006, 08:50 PM
the easies way I found was to save the .wav file to the hard drive, then insert it into the slide show

you can work on timings when you record the powerpoint

Ryan
01-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Since you got an answer already, I really like presetting the timing for slide transitions when ever I set a presentation to music. It's consistent and you can hit the high points in a song for a great affect.

pilot02
01-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Music and animation in powerpoint is nice and can create a nice effect depending on the TYPE of presentation, However, you really need to be careful and ensure that it doesn't take away or distract from the message you're trying to get accross.

BriEOD
01-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. One of our resident IT guys called me last night and talked me through it. Thanks Beau! :toast:

It is for a retirement ceremony and has a few hundred photos of the person retiring, growing up, work, family. So the slide show with music is very appropriate. It's kind of a "look back" with mood music.

milkmania
01-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. One of our resident IT guys called me last night and talked me through it. Thanks Beau! :toast:

It is for a retirement ceremony and has a few hundred photos of the person retiring, growing up, work, family. So the slide show with music is very appropriate. It's kind of a "look back" with mood music.

another word of advice..........

save in multiple places!!!http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/stuff.gif

BriEOD
01-20-2006, 08:09 AM
another word of advice..........

save in multiple places!!!http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/stuff.gif
Amen brother. I've got about 5 hours into it and all I have done is scanned, saved and put into .ppt. The scanning took forever! 150 pics on a scanner. :rolleyes:

milkmania
01-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Amen brother. I've got about 5 hours into it and all I have done is scanned, saved and put into .ppt. The scanning took forever! 150 pics on a scanner. :rolleyes:

I lost about 20 hours worth of work for a electronic multimedia contest.....

freaking ZIP disks:rant:
.........google "click of death"

salvaged what I could, and came in second place out of thirty entries.

Cloaked
01-20-2006, 09:16 AM

jacked....

milkmania
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
jacked....

it was a PowerPoint Electronic Presentation;)

BriEOD
01-23-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm trying to decide what music to set this to. It will be at least 2 songs, maybe three. It is a retirement slide ceremony so it is photos of the person over the years. I was thinking of Nickelback photograph but I need some other ideas. Nothing to fast, not to slow. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

BriEOD
01-23-2006, 12:35 PM
^^^bump^^^

Ric
01-23-2006, 12:38 PM

they actually have contests for such a thing?

milkmania
01-23-2006, 01:02 PM
they actually have contests for such a thing?

you better believe it!!!:cool:

BriEOD
01-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Ok quit jacking my thread and give me some help! :rant:

Mag_Red
01-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Ok quit jacking my thread and give me some help! :rant:How about that song "Memories"? I think it was sung by Barbara Striesand

Ric
01-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Ok quit jacking my thread and give me some help! :rant:
Where have all the good times gone? by van halen? 8p

BriEOD
01-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Gimme a freakin' break Bob and Ric. Thanks for the help guys. :rolleyes:

milkmania
03-31-2006, 09:35 AM
update:

found this little tidbit while working on something else
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA101077201033.aspx

Have sound, will travel: Troubleshooting sound problems

You have your music or sound file running smoothly on your computer and you're preparing yourself for the kudos that follow after your presentation. So why are you met with dead silence from your presentation and your audience? You copied all the files (including the music files) to the CD or directly to the computer on which you're presenting; in other words, you thought you did everything right.

There are a few possible reasons for this silence reasons that may or may not be specific to your using the presentation on another computer:

The music is a linked file (instead of an embedded file), and it's linked to a source (such as a piece of music) that lives on your home computer (or somewhere you can't get to right at the moment you need to).

The problem with this is that while your presentation is desperately looking for the music file, the music file is at home on your computer, twiddling its thumbs and waiting for something to do. This is akin to offering to pay for that expensive dinner when you realize your wallet is in your other jacket or purse. While your date might believe that story out of pity, it doesn't solve the problem.
Your file is embedded but it's in a format that PowerPoint doesn't recognize.

When this happens, PowerPoint decides for itself to add the file as a link, not as an embedded object. So if you travel with this presentation and think your sound is embedded, think again. It's linked, and just like the point above, PowerPoint doesn't know where to look for that linked files. So remember: Sound files need to be in .wav format to embed them in a presentation. (Don't say I never told you.)
The size of your embedded files is more than 50 megabytes (MB).

You've embedded the file, so it should have traveled nicely from one computer to the next. But it's a lengthy piece (think Brahms' "Tragic Overture;" think Pink Floyd's "Sheep"), thereby forcing PowerPoint to add it as a linked file. The default setting for automatically linking sound files is 100 kilobytes (KB), but you can change it to 50,000 KB (50 MB). (However, remember that this will substantially increase the overall size of your presentation, so be aware that it might take some time to open it and people do have short attention spans).

BriEOD
03-31-2006, 04:26 PM
update:

found this little tidbit while working on something else
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA101077201033.aspx

Have sound, will travel: Troubleshooting sound problems

You have your music or sound file running smoothly on your computer and you're preparing yourself for the kudos that follow after your presentation. So why are you met with dead silence from your presentation and your audience? You copied all the files (including the music files) to the CD or directly to the computer on which you're presenting; in other words, you thought you did everything right.

There are a few possible reasons for this silence reasons that may or may not be specific to your using the presentation on another computer:

The music is a linked file (instead of an embedded file), and it's linked to a source (such as a piece of music) that lives on your home computer (or somewhere you can't get to right at the moment you need to).

The problem with this is that while your presentation is desperately looking for the music file, the music file is at home on your computer, twiddling its thumbs and waiting for something to do. This is akin to offering to pay for that expensive dinner when you realize your wallet is in your other jacket or purse. While your date might believe that story out of pity, it doesn't solve the problem.
Your file is embedded but it's in a format that PowerPoint doesn't recognize.

When this happens, PowerPoint decides for itself to add the file as a link, not as an embedded object. So if you travel with this presentation and think your sound is embedded, think again. It's linked, and just like the point above, PowerPoint doesn't know where to look for that linked files. So remember: Sound files need to be in .wav format to embed them in a presentation. (Don't say I never told you.)
The size of your embedded files is more than 50 megabytes (MB).

You've embedded the file, so it should have traveled nicely from one computer to the next. But it's a lengthy piece (think Brahms' "Tragic Overture;" think Pink Floyd's "Sheep"), thereby forcing PowerPoint to add it as a linked file. The default setting for automatically linking sound files is 100 kilobytes (KB), but you can change it to 50,000 KB (50 MB). (However, remember that this will substantially increase the overall size of your presentation, so be aware that it might take some time to open it and people do have short attention spans).

Uh yeah dude, you're like 2-3 months to late. :(

east tx skier
03-31-2006, 04:49 PM

Brian, I've done a bunch of slide shows set to music for weddings and several just to put on home movie dvds. I've always used Pinnacle. I think Nero has this feature, too.

How many pictures? What's the turnaround. Maybe I could help?

/Well I'm late. I guess I missed this one originally. Too bad. I do good work.

milkmania
03-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Uh yeah dude, you're like 2-3 months to late. :(

I do what I can:D

but seriously, I posted this on the slim chance that someone else may have the same problem..... besides, when I was over at Micro$oft and saw that, you were the first one I thought of;)

besides, I didn't see a time limit for answers8p