PDA

View Full Version : Who know's the correct boat path with skiers intow?

Brent
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Just curious how many Boat owners here know the correct path & way to drive with a Slalom skier & even with a wake-boarder. don't think this is a trick question , until someone shows you the correct way to drive , how are you supposed to know! I will let someone else explain the answer or a least wait a decent period , so I don't get flack for answering my own question !

rodltg2
01-19-2006, 05:05 PM
just drive straight in between the orange and yellow balls.

Ric
01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
b) zig zag between the yellow spongex to help the skier ;)

rodltg2
01-19-2006, 05:10 PM
sometimes i drive around the red ones. its fun to do at 36.

PendO
01-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Just like pulling a tuber ... but you have to watch out for all the jet skis! Also, let the spotter hold your beers.

Peachman
01-19-2006, 05:12 PM
just drive straight in between the orange and yellow balls.

He he he! That's what I tell my wife...

Although no one follows this, on our lake if you are pulling a skier/wakeboarder or just cruising around the lake, you are supposed to travel in a counter clockxise direction around the lake... What do I win!? :D

JT

east tx skier
01-19-2006, 05:33 PM
1. Shout, "You're ready!"
2. Crank Stereo.
3. Bury the throttle.
4. Come into the entry gates at an angle to juice up the skier's 1 ball.
5. Get real close to the boat guides on the left side so you're sure to hear the beep on the perfect pass (that let's you know that you've done everything just right).
6. At the end, throw the boat into a powerslide and see if the skier can catch a beer as he whips around
7. Get feedback from your skier, "Was the music loud enough?!?"

rodltg2
01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
i like to miss the entrance gates all together, there more for show anyway. also it is very important to double the crew weight in the pp. you get nice hot times.

BIGBADBLUE
01-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Very funny thread ...

The key to driving is to make sure your wife varies her speed from 36MPH at the guides to 25MPH at the exit eventhough your boat has PP. But PP is just too complicated to use thru the course.

On the skiiers end I was always taught that after you got up you start yelling at your wife about the speed and path untill ball #5 when you finally get so frustrated about the 25 mph speed that you just drop the handle. When your wife returns you just say "Great driving honey"

rodltg2
01-19-2006, 05:56 PM
i uesd to like the old perfect pass ad in ws that said

" cheaper than a divorce"

east tx skier
01-19-2006, 05:57 PM
It's funnier if you set it at 32 and tell her to go 36. Then, complain about the speed and enjoy your swim back to shore. ;)

rodltg2
01-19-2006, 06:01 PM
common eastie you know it set at 28 for you. :D :uglyhamme

Kevin 89MC
01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Everyone else beat me to the smark-alek responses (and I laughed at them all), so I'll take a shot at an honest answer. Simple answer: drive as straight as possible, for all activities (except tubing!) If following a shore, don't follow the curve, drive in straight segments, except footing. In the course, the first few times I drove it, I was not prepared for how much a skier can pull the boat, even on a '99 ProStar. Depending on the skier, I've managed to get a bit better at correctly anticipating the pull with slight steering corrections, to keep the straightest path. We do bump into the boat guides on occasion though! I could go on and on about differences for trick, swivel, footing tricks, etc.

Brent
01-19-2006, 07:50 PM
You guy's are good ;) . I've seen too many tournament & wake-board boats driving in circle's or going just below planning speed (15-mph) & just killing any possibilty of having good water! Ignorance is bliss unless your the one who is not ignorant! Kevin sort of nailed it ,I'd just add turning around into your own wake @ each end if your not dropping! All the wife comments had resonance for me & the PP ad about cheaper than a divorce is so bang on ,she still messes up & I do try to keep my mouth shut! :eek:

skitilldark
01-19-2006, 07:53 PM
You guy's are good ;) . I've seen too many tournament & wake-board boats driving in circle's or going just below planning speed (15-mph) & just killing any possibilty of having good water! Ignorance is bliss unless your the one who is not ignorant! Kevin sort of nailed it ,I'd just add turning around into your own wake @ each end if your not dropping! All the wife comments had resonance for me & the PP ad about cheaper than a divorce is so bang on ,she still messes up & I do try to keep my mouth shut! :eek:

Perfect Pass saved my marriage.

SKI*MC
01-19-2006, 10:02 PM
My 83 sortof tracks like crap going through the course... so the first time i drove a 197 I had both hands white knuckled on the wheel (What i do normally in my boat) But any guy that has a new boat and doesn't like the way it tracks, I have a few words of wisdom... STOP YOUR B!@%&ing!!! Just messing... but seriously you have no idea how good you have it with your new boats and Perfect pass. Oh yeah, and to respond so the thread, so this isnt a total thread jack.. counter steer when the skiier pulls.

whitedog
01-19-2006, 10:54 PM
When pulling a large pyramid, more than 25 skiers, make shure the mobile ballest moves at the correct time to prevent the boat from being capsized when turning corners.

Oh and be prepaired for instructions from not one but 20 skiers who all want it done differntly.

Makes life with the wife driver easier.

88 PS190
01-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Once your speed is set get both hands up on the steering wheel, I know you feel good w/ that hand resting on the throttle, but the driver needs both hands to keep the things going where it should.

Hence F1 Drivers have the shift buttons on the wheel, and I don't wanna hear that you can get to the throttle better in a fall if you keep a hand on to it. If you are course skiing you should be waiting for your timing w/ the boat guides anyway so you don't take any out. So it doesn't really matter just how fast you can pull your throttle back.

Oh other thing, LEARN TO DOCK YOUR INBOARD... Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than a ski boat driver who cannot slide the boat up to the dock. You just feel like going eeeeeee.

And then it comes out, your hands come up to your mouth as the guy keeps over or under correcting... EEEEEEE~!

Kevin 89MC
01-20-2006, 09:41 AM
I'd just add turning around into your own wake @ each end if your not dropping!
Funny that I forgot this, that is the one thing my wife hasn't mastered yet. For some reason she can't seem to find the wake! That and correctly dropping me. I usually just let go-it's safer! She is happy about perfect pass, not not as happy as I am! :D
This spring will be her first time driving me through the course. Hopefully I won't have to buy too many new boat guides!

BrianM
01-20-2006, 10:11 AM
This spring will be her first time driving me through the course. Hopefully I won't have to buy too many new boat guides!

She should do alright.

My wife can drive the course straight but has a problem with our short setup. She always seems to angle into the 55m bouys. By the time she gets to the gates everything is fine but I am always nervous behind the boat when she is lining up. Pull outs are a little scarry as well. Fortunately she doesn't have to drive all that often.

Ric
01-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Funny that I forgot this, that is the one thing my wife hasn't mastered yet. For some reason she can't seem to find the wake! That and correctly dropping me. I usually just let go-it's safer! She is happy about perfect pass, not not as happy as I am! :D
boat guides can be re-tied
My lady drives the course quite well.
she learned to drive on Perfect Pass and I think she'd have probably given up if she'd have had to throttle jockey AND steer like the olden days :o

east tx skier
01-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Nice little trick I told my wife, for those of you with open bow (no cracks, BrianM ;)), you can use the vertical supports of the grab rails in the bow to line up with the boat guides while you're driving. It sounds strange, like you'd have the boat crooked, but when you get it straight, they'll pass by that point nice and rhythmically. Also, check your mirror occassionally/briefly. That wake will let you know where you are.

And if you haven't read this, give it a look.

http://www.schnitzskis.com/pages/460900/index.htm

skisix@38
01-20-2006, 10:48 AM
You are the closest so far Doug! The hand rails on the OB boats are a great way to verify that you are lined up the same way every time. Also, if you really want to be picky, have your observer tell you where you are. Looking in the mirror will take you off course while you are looking.
The counter steer part that is mentioned above is true but a matter of timing. Be mindful of corrections while to skier is free of the boat. If the skier is free from the boat and you make a change to where the boat is- the skier won't be free anymore. I will make a small change to get the boat lined up for the anticipated pull by the skier without actually having changed the course of the boat. Then when the skier gets under load again I will make any corrections that need to be made. Another thing that seems to make a difference at most lakes is when you are dropping a skier. After the skier swings out, start slowing down and run parallel to the skier/course and be sure the boat is off plane and idling before turning the bow of the boat back into the skier to come around. Otherwise you risk throwing a bow roller down the course.

Nice little trick I told my wife, for those of you with open bow (no cracks, BrianM ;)), you can use the vertical supports of the grab rails in the bow to line up with the boat guides while you're driving. It sounds strange, like you'd have the boat crooked, but when you get it straight, they'll pass by that point nice and rhythmically. Also, check your mirror occassionally/briefly. That wake will let you know where you are.

And if you haven't read this, give it a look.

http://www.schnitzskis.com/pages/460900/index.htm

Leroy
01-20-2006, 11:41 AM
I reviewed driving techniques for the morning gang (not Hoosier Bob he knows) to make sure people don't do the gentle turn while free skiing, ok to gentle turn wakeboarding, and all other situations to try to make our time and others the most enjoyable on the lake.

Did you mean free or course driving?

east tx skier
01-20-2006, 12:20 PM
You are the closest so far Doug! The hand rails on the OB boats are a great way to verify that you are lined up the same way every time. Also, if you really want to be picky, have your observer tell you where you are. Looking in the mirror will take you off course while you are looking.
The counter steer part that is mentioned above is true but a matter of timing. Be mindful of corrections while to skier is free of the boat. If the skier is free from the boat and you make a change to where the boat is- the skier won't be free anymore. I will make a small change to get the boat lined up for the anticipated pull by the skier without actually having changed the course of the boat. Then when the skier gets under load again I will make any corrections that need to be made. Another thing that seems to make a difference at most lakes is when you are dropping a skier. After the skier swings out, start slowing down and run parallel to the skier/course and be sure the boat is off plane and idling before turning the bow of the boat back into the skier to come around. Otherwise you risk throwing a bow roller down the course.

You're right about too much looking in the mirror. Really a better idea when making practice runs. Once a skier's in tow, I'm just trying to keep it lined up. I rarely try to make compensations for pull apart from just trying to keep it lined up. I'm just not that good.

Funny story, so I get the chance to drive Ric's wonderful boat. It's great, but it handles a lot differently than mine obviously. On my last run as driver with Ric skiing, I practically came through the 55s sideways as I was jacking with the perfect pass, which had been triggered by a roller coming around the turn island. I was working on an apology by the time we got to the gates. I was laughing by the end of the run because Ric had had his best pass so far that day. I thought about saying, "You're welcome," but decided to stick with the apology anyway.

Ric
01-20-2006, 01:27 PM
You're right about too much looking in the mirror. Really a better idea when making practice runs. Once a skier's in tow, I'm just trying to keep it lined up. I rarely try to make compensations for pull apart from just trying to keep it lined up. I'm just not that good.

Funny story, so I get the chance to drive Ric's wonderful boat. It's great, but it handles a lot differently than mine obviously. On my last run as driver with Ric skiing, I practically came through the 55s sideways as I was jacking with the perfect pass, which had been triggered by a roller coming around the turn island. I was working on an apology by the time we got to the gates. I was laughing by the end of the run because Ric had had his best pass so far that day. I thought about saying, "You're welcome," but decided to stick with the apology anyway.
haaaaa, not like I'd have known if I had a bad pull!!
You still need to drive it with the 06 rudder

rodltg2
01-20-2006, 01:30 PM
one things for sure , driving a bad long line skier through the course is harder than a smooth shortline skier.