PDA

View Full Version : Now that's a jellyfish!

bcampbe7
01-19-2006, 04:23 PM
WOW!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/01/19/japan.jellyfish.reut/index.html

jayocheskey
01-19-2006, 04:50 PM
I got the chills just looking at that picture. How freaked out would you be if you were the guy in the background? I know, he's a trained professional, but still.

east tx skier
01-19-2006, 05:04 PM
I remember my one and only jellyfish sting. Yeeeeeouch!!

jayocheskey
01-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Never had one and 1 more good reason to go to the lake as opposed to the beach.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-19-2006, 06:28 PM
well, here is one situation where I can safely say, advantage-Lake Superior. Not many creepy crawlers in these waters. Yea, I know its cold, but thats what keeps it clean. Those cold winter months prevent funky stuff like that. The lake never gets warm enough for creepy crawleys. I guess thats one good thing about the cold winters here, a nice clean lake all summer. (yea, yea, yea...I know I just posted on the swimsuit thread that I am tired of winter :o )

shepherd
01-20-2006, 09:24 AM
That looks like a close-up shot of a smaller jellyfish with a diver in the background.

But according to the article:
"One Echizen kurage can be up to 2 meters (6 feet, 7 inches) in diameter and weigh up to 200 kilograms (440 pounds)." :eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know, can you still get zapped by a dead one on the shore? I remember a few years back in Cal. there was one (First one I had ever seen in person) it was tranparent, really weird. I actually had to ask someone if thats what it was. On the beach. A couple kids were poking at it with their feet, and someone screamed at them saying they could get hurt.

I don't know much about them, but I know they pack a punch if they get you in the water.