PDA

View Full Version : anybody tried the Wal-Mart Photo Center?

milkmania
01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
http://www.walmart.com/photo-center?path=0%3A5426&dept=5426

I just created an account, and they gave me 10 free 4x6 photos

you can upload your images, and order prints in three ways (one hour pick up free shipping, in-store delivery free delivery, and delivered to home)

I ordered three 8x10's and it was $9.27 after tax for one hour pick-up.

I'm going to see how this turns out.

another thing....
if you got the winter blues, start going through all the old summer photo shots.
it'll sure bring a smile to your face.

BriEOD
01-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Nice photo B. I've never tried the internet deal but I drop a CD by their with photos now and again.

mbeach
01-19-2006, 01:08 PM
have used wallmart for routine digital printing, but never tried the online service. can you edit (touch up) like at the store?? if so, seems like the real deal. do they want payment up front or when you pick up?

mrcrowson
01-19-2006, 01:13 PM
I have not personally but a good friend does all the time, He uses it for an engineering firm we work for. He downloads the photos at the website and picks them up on his way home from work. He says they do a great job..

One thing you need to know is the size of your picture. If you have something developed at 4x6 then resize your photo to that size first, (that is if it is taken at a bigger setting) this way the photos are not cropped center.

good luck,
MC

bigmac
01-19-2006, 01:17 PM
They have a bad rep in the photo biz. Very common to take photos in and have them refuse to print them because they think they are copies you are stealing from copyrighted work. As long as they're snapshots of the boat or the kids, no problem. If you photos start to show any signs or art or professionalism, you can expect a hassle.

east tx skier
01-19-2006, 01:18 PM
I've done the same thing with Walgreens.com and am a fan.

milkmania
01-19-2006, 01:28 PM
have used wallmart for routine digital printing, but never tried the online service. can you edit (touch up) like at the store?? if so, seems like the real deal. do they want payment up front or when you pick up?

yes, you can

different options for payment
credit card
debit card
wal-mart gift card
pay in store
buy now, pay later:huh:

when I ordered the 3 8x10's, I was able to select "pay at store"
but, when I tried to redeem the 10 4x6's it required a card or a wal-mart gift card.....because I had ordered 16 4x6's do there was a balance....that time it didn't give me the option to pay in store.

but hey!
I got 16 4x6's for $1.26 after tax:woohoo:

Called immediately to my buddy that works in the local wal-mart photo center after placing my first order, and he said they already had the request:)

I'll update once I have photos in hand

oh yeah, and I'll be signing up the wife, the kids, the dog and anyone else I can think of;)

milkmania
01-19-2006, 01:31 PM
I did run into a slight problem, but easy fix

they have a little deal where you can drop & drag photos to upload....

it didn't like Mozilla Firefox, but Internet Explorer handled it just fine

jraben8
01-19-2006, 01:32 PM
We actually had them do print our Christmas cards and were very impressed. It took 3-4 days longer to get them back than they initially said it would but we are very happy with the quality.

mbeach
01-19-2006, 01:36 PM
milk -- is there a way to check online to see if photos are ready and are there file size restrictions?

Ric
01-19-2006, 01:37 PM
milk I thought you were a pro photo guy? Pros use walmart? How's the quality

milkmania
01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
For best results, use a photo that's at least 800 x 600 pixels

mine were 2848 x 2136 averagehttp://forums.consumptionjunction.com/images/smilies/SpiningDemon.gif

should turn out pretty good, I surpassed my end of the deal:woohoo:

ski_king
01-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Have used the online serviice were it was mailed to me once, but took too long. I have used the Kodak Kioske in Wal-Mart many times and like it. I usually edit/crop mine at home first.

..... If you photos start to show any signs or art or professionalism, you can expect a hassle.
Happened to me, made me feel like a criminal or something, I had a coloage of photos, most I took, but did have a professional portrate in amoung them.

milkmania
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
milk I thought you were a pro photo guy? Pros use walmart? How's the quality

I think you have me confused with BigMac.....

he's the hardcore guy!

I like to point & shoothttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/50_cal.gif

Ric
01-19-2006, 01:45 PM
I think you have me confused with BigMac.....

he's the hardcore guy!

I like to point & shoothttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/50_cal.gif
ok I thought you were doing a shoot of an old fellas hot rod at one time which made me think you were a pro

milkmania
01-19-2006, 01:55 PM
ok I thought you were doing a shoot of an old fellas hot rod at one time which made me think you were a pro

nah, that's just a real good buddy that wanted to get a good photo for a poster sized print.... it turned out great!:love:

we took the photo and did a little bit of photo editing to it, took the rock out of the left front tire, added '36 Ford with a ford blue medallion and the guy's name and had it printed out at 24" x 36"

original 4048 x 3040 pixels

here's the before.... I don't have the after....it was saved to his computer

all steel baby!!!! no fiberglass:noface:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/frank_4.jpg

AirJunky
01-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Yep, used the Wally World photo center a number of times. Usually I'll do any editing in Photoshop on my own PC, upload them to the website & pick them up in the store a 1/2 day or so later. Quality is pretty good & I've never been rejected any prints.

bigmac
01-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Yep, used the Wally World photo center a number of times. Usually I'll do any editing in Photoshop on my own PC, upload them to the website & pick them up in the store a 1/2 day or so later. Quality is pretty good & I've never been rejected any prints.For most thingsl I upload to Kodak Gallery (http://www.kodakgallery.com/Welcome.jsp). Very easy uploading, good prices, really excellent quality paper and printing. They will mail me my photos faster than I can find the time to drive the 17 miles to the Super Wal Mart, and as a side benefit, I don't have to go into the Super Wal Mart.

For stuff that is challenging or for which I need custom printing, I upload to White House Custom Color (http://www.whcc.com/) in St. Paul.

east tx skier
01-19-2006, 03:47 PM
...and as a side benefit, I don't have to go into the Super Wal Mart.

Biggest reason for me. Walgreens will mail them as an alternative. If they could incorporate the whole thing into the pharmacy's drive through, it would be perfect.

jmyers
01-19-2006, 03:50 PM
We use Wal Mart alot for photo developing and even did our Christmas cards with them! I do think they do a good job for a good price! Always! :D

SteveO
01-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Used Samsclub.com for our New Year cards. It was great. Need to get the wife an SLR so that she can jump on the digital bandwagon. She is still old school with 35mm and take roles in ALL the time.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2006, 06:49 PM
They have a bad rep in the photo biz. Very common to take photos in and have them refuse to print them because they think they are copies you are stealing from copyrighted work. As long as they're snapshots of the boat or the kids, no problem. If you photos start to show any signs or art or professionalism, you can expect a hassle.
Well when you use a ESPN/FOX quality camera like you have, I'd question you too.8p I'd probably ask why you don't have your own red room...;)