PDA

View Full Version : Cable Park..Who likes them and wheres a good one?

West TN Wake
01-18-2006, 10:08 PM
I've started to get interested in cable parks and would like to know more about them. Has anyone been lately and which ones are the best. I'm in West TN and would like a close one if possible to give it a try. Suggestions?

Cary K.
01-19-2006, 07:12 AM
There are only 4 in the US. Ski Rixen in South Florida, Texas Ski Ranch, Kansas City Watersports, and of course OWC in Orlando. This is the only one I have been to, and it is great if you want to hit the sliders, otherwise it gets boring pretty fast. Because of the location, this is where the pros ride frequently. The cable parks are also a hotbed of wakeskate talent since alot of the tricks are flatwater tricks to start with. Definitley worth giving the cable a try.

BriEOD
01-19-2006, 07:14 AM
Cary, you forgot Wet N' Wild in Orlando. They have on cable for kneeboarding or wakeboarding. Normally it is a bunch of kids who cannot even get going.

Leroy
01-19-2006, 07:22 AM
I would like to try one.

BriEOD
01-19-2006, 07:43 AM
They're cool until you fall. Then it is a long walk back to the start.

ksmaristar91
01-19-2006, 08:15 AM
The one in KC is only 20 min from my house and pretty fun, kickers, sliders and such. Great place to go for a quick set if you are short on boat folks! The only 2 drawbacks for me is the crappy handle you have to use, and as stated the "walk of shame" if you bite it hard!!! Try it, it will never beat a boat, but it is fun!

Byrdman
01-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Personally, I think they suck, but that is just me. I guess I'm just spoiled because I have had access to a boat and a lake for the past 30+ years. But I can see why they are popular with people that are not as fortunate as me.
Here are the reasons I dont like them.
1. To try new stuff, you usually fall a lot. When you do, you have a long swim and walk back to the launching platform, and get to stand in line ot go again.
2. I like hitting a wake and catching air. I can wakeskate, but it's not nearly as much fun to me as getting 4'-6' of air off the pop of a wake.
3. I'm not really into sliders.
4. I'm goofy footed and the cable only travels in one direction, and it is to the benefit of reg footed people.

Robert Averyt
01-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Texas ski ranch In New Braunfels, Texas is real nice and they have a boat lake. And another positive is that they are a mastercraft dealer.
So come visit us here in Texas and experience a cable lake and a little Texas hospitality.

BrianM
01-19-2006, 10:21 AM
They used to have a cable lake at the Oakwood Lake Resort (aka Manteca Waterslides) in Manteca California in the 80s. They took it (the cables) out sometime in the late 80s early 90s. Skied it a few times. I remember at the time it was really hard to make the square corners. Had to pull way out and hold on. It was a long walk back when you fell on the back stretch.

Anyone else ever ride that cable?

Just Googled the place and they closed in 2004 after 30 years. Said they were the first fiberglass waterslides in the US and had the first underground section and the first full turn. Also were the longest in the world for a time.

rodltg2
01-19-2006, 06:09 PM
i rememebr that place, i went there once when i was a kid. i believe they had the first waterslides close to me.

AirJunky
01-19-2006, 06:25 PM
The two in FL were like riding in a ditch by the freeway. Not very deep, water is kinda funky, not a great view, etc.

kjohnson
01-24-2006, 09:41 AM
This place sucks, in my opinion, if you are going there to ski.