PDA

View Full Version : Change in Seating... Captains chair vs bench

simply_peter
09-13-2004, 06:56 PM
I would like to change my passenger seat on my 1990 Maristar 210 from a chair to a bench. Anyone ever done this? Would like to make something to look like the seating in the open bow prostar / x-star. Plus it should help add a new storage area.

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

johnpdodd
09-14-2004, 10:11 AM
I changed out my captain's chair observer's seat in my '90 TriStar with a "bench" I built out of 3/4 inch plywood painted white with hinged lid for storage. I bought two inexpensive folding boat seats and bolted them to the base. Works great. Adds storage. Looks decent. cost $75 maybe. Adds another seat (the captain chair is very inefficient) Can change it back to original when selling.

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 10:17 AM
John, pictures?

Tom Wortham
09-14-2004, 10:28 AM
How about some pictures?

johnpdodd
09-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Good idea - will take them this weekend and post.

MrMan
09-16-2004, 02:05 AM
There was an earlier post on this topic with quite a bit of response. It seems there was a man who said that you might have some problems structurally by removing seat/adding another.
Personally, I like having the passenger captain's chair. I usually keep it spun around at an angle in the corner but I find useful however you configure it. I would like to have the storage that ProStar seating has, but I'm happy with what I've got.
Different strokes for different folks, eh?
To be quite honest, I don't sit over there, so I ain't worried about it that much.
signed,
the driver :cool:

mitch
09-16-2004, 07:45 AM
John, That's a good idea!! I hated that swivel bucket seat on my 89 Tristar.

johnpdodd
09-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks. I thought it was a pretty good idea. I've got a wife and two small kids - all of whom I want right beside me when going full speed. Plus when pulling the wife, it helps to have two seats for the kids rather than one. Structurally, there is no negative to the different seating. Both the observer and driver's captain's chairs have 8 screws going into the floor - so you give up no structural integrity. The only trick (atleast on the TriStar with a center mounted fuel tank) is make sure your screws on the observer's side are not too long or you will go into the fuel tank with two screws. That may be what the post was referring too. Will try to get some pics this weekend. It's nothing beautiful - probably not up to you guys standards. But it works beautifully and adds storage. Hey the boat is 14 years old - so who cares. Plus we eat Cheetos in the boat. I definitely do not deserve a new MC!!