PDA

View Full Version : Home Dehumidifier

RackAtak
01-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Does anyone have any experience with home dehumidifiers? I have a crawl space with a sump pump that works overtime during rain storms so it naturally stays damp under the house and I need to dry the air in the house itself.

Sodar
01-18-2006, 04:37 PM
We have everything you just listed, plus a fan the blows outside air under the house. As soon as the water table rises the crawl space has at least 3" of water. Last summer I went under and installed a system of weep pipes and sump pumps to evactuate the water after it rains... unfortunately it has not rained in So Cal as much as last year, so I have not been able to test the system. As for the de-humidufier, it collects appoximately 1/2 to 1 gallon a day, it seems to be working well, the mold in the closets and cabinents has been eliminated. Only downside is that it has a constant hum that gets a little annoying.

Leroy
01-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Maybe not the answer you expect. My past experience has been if your sump pump system under your house is working correctly you do not need a dehumidifier. If it stays wet under your house there are many other problems to follow.The guy that built our first house was anal on the crawl space and he did indeed do a great job and that house was built in a drained swamp.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 04:53 PM
What part of the country are you in? Or what country for that matter..?

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 04:58 PM
My step father uses one at his Hacienda in the Yucatan. He has turned an old cistern into a guest house. It sits probably 15 feet underground. He runs two dehumidifiers and fills them up daily.

RackAtak
01-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Maybe not the answer you expect. My past experience has been if your sump pump system under your house is working correctly you do not need a dehumidifier. If it stays wet under your house there are many other problems to follow.The guy that built our first house was anal on the crawl space and he did indeed do a great job and that house was built in a drained swamp.
The sump pump does an excellent job of keeping the space free of standing water but it does remain damp under there even though it is ratproofed with concrete. Before the pump, I would have three feet of water. Now I have none. I installed french drains and poured concrete walkways around the house, directed down spouts to drains etc. etc. The water comes from the rising water table when it rains. Very little, if any, is due to runoff. This is a problem throught the neighborhood.
...plus a fan the blows outside air under the house....As for the de-humidufier, it collects appoximately 1/2 to 1 gallon a day, it seems to be working well, the mold in the closets and cabinents has been eliminated. Only downside is that it has a constant hum that gets a little annoying.
I have thought about a fan for ventilation under the house and I just may do that. As far as the dehumidifier is concerned, what you have experienced is exactly what we are looking for. Thanks! BTW I am in CA in the S.F. Bay Area.