PDA

View Full Version : What is a chocolate city?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Hmmm...... Does this mean they are giving up alcohol?

http://video.cgi.cbsnews.com/video/video.pl?url=/media/2006/01/18/video1217158.wmv&sid=500202&dart=news.video4

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 04:58 PM
All I can think of is this.

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I hear this guy is getting the building contract.

/couldn't resist.
//okay, I'll stop now.

jayocheskey
01-18-2006, 05:04 PM
I guess it wasn't intended to be a racial slur. He himself appeared to be a "chocolate" man.

This is a snap judgement, but how does that guy get elected mayor of any city in America?

tommcat
01-18-2006, 05:04 PM
didnt your listen to him? "god wants it that way"
apparently god wanted the city under water too.

next time the "chocolate city" sinks into the ocean i hope they dont ask for any of my "vanilla money"

Ric
01-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I guess it wasn't intended to be a racial slur. He himself appeared to be a "chocolate" man.

This is a snap judgement, but how does that guy get elected mayor of any city in America?
not any more racial than hillary's statements about the house being run like a plantation :rolleyes:

tommcat
01-18-2006, 05:06 PM
I guess it wasn't intended to be a racial slur.
now that's funny. wish i had a middle finger smilie for the chocolate mayor

Leroy
01-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Political incorrectness seems to be breaking out everywhere!

tommcat
01-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Political incorrectness seems to be breaking out everywhere!
although it would be called racism if a white guy said something similar. :rolleyes:

jayocheskey
01-18-2006, 05:15 PM
although it would be called racism if a white guy said something similar. :rolleyes:

Since you put it in that light; I'm on board with your train of thought.

RexDog1
01-18-2006, 05:22 PM
I hear this guy is getting the building contract.

/couldn't resist.
//okay, I'll stop now.

Ok,…… now that is Funny

:rant: How can he be the mayor? :rant:

3event
01-18-2006, 05:25 PM
next time the "chocolate city" sinks into the ocean i hope they dont ask for any of my "vanilla money"

GOOD ONE! They've already spent a LOAD of our vanilla money on N.O., we just don't hear anyone talking about how much anymore - it's not headline worthy apparently. Betcha the vanilla money keeps flowing in for a long time. It would be interesting to examine what the billions could do if used to redevelop and improve the communities where the storm victims have relocated. You would probably have a fair amount left over.....

AirJunky
01-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Part of that "chocolate city" comment included something about making sure that NO was predominantly black.

I'm guessing that it was that way before anyway. And frankly anyone who wants to live under sea level is nuts..... and since chocolate & nuts go together so well...... I say let it be!

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 05:43 PM
not any more racial than hillary's statements about the house being run like a plantation :rolleyes:

Or Newt's (okay, maybe her timing makes it more racially motivated).

“I clearly fascinate them,” Gingrich said of the Democrats. “I’m much more intense, much more persistent, much more willing to take risks to get it done. Since they think it is their job to run the plantation, it shocks them that I’m actually willing to lead the slave rebellion.” [Washington Post, 10/20/94]

/what's good for the goose is good for the Gingrich.
//I smell running mates.
///that smell is nauseating for so many reasons
////politicians suck.
/////slashy slashy

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 05:44 PM
How did the saying go,
"I went to N.O. and all the freebies I took were Tshirts, a new cadillac and a plasma TV."

Ric
01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Or Newt's (okay, maybe her timing makes it more racially motivated).

“I clearly fascinate them,” Gingrich said of the Democrats. “I’m much more intense, much more persistent, much more willing to take risks to get it done. Since they think it is their job to run the plantation, it shocks them that I’m actually willing to lead the slave rebellion.” [Washington Post, 10/20/94]

/what's good for the goose is good for the Gingrich.
//I smell running mates.
///that smell is nauseating for so many reasons
////politicians suck.
/////slashy slashy
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Just shows that nothing original has come out of Washington in a long, long time.

Ric
01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Just shows that nothing original has come out of Washington in a long, long time.
since we really can't ask him, from that gingrich quote, do you think he was playing to blacks?

Ryan
01-18-2006, 06:17 PM
His come-back of ...milk, yeah, chocolate milk, white milk& chocolate, um chocolate, yeah, together er... um...huh? Who is this guy kidding?

He would have done better to stick to his first chocolate comment and back up the culture that African-American's have maintained in the city and point out the positive influences, music, food, etc... Lame mayor must have hired a lame political advisor.

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 06:44 PM
since we really can't ask him, from that gingrich quote, do you think he was playing to blacks?

Nah, I'm just stirring the pot, which incidentally, was quoted as calling the kettle "black."

If he was, I can't imagine that it was effective. But I don't think he was. I just know that the quote was given in the run up to an election. He's just speaking by way of analogy. Slavery = Oppression. In this instance, the majority voters are oppressing the minority voters and he doesn't like it. But at the worst, I think it's just a weak analogy given that slaver is a sensitive issue in this country given our history.

In the more recent example you mentioned, I wouldn't call it racist. I'd call it another bad analogy. And blatantly obvious political maneuvering that's just sad.

BrianM
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
I used to like the guy. He lost my vote in one 8 minute speach. Racist moron!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Nagin, BLAME THE GOVERNMENT..... Oh wait, he tried that too, he IS it.

Ric
01-18-2006, 08:19 PM
I used to like the guy. He lost my vote in one 8 minute speach. Racist moron!
I was just about to say that ALL of the N.O. people that I talk to still like that guy ....

Farmer Ted
01-18-2006, 08:29 PM
I was just about to say that ALL of the N.O. people that I talk to still like that guy ....

Lesser of two evils? Nagin must not be as greedy or just hasn't figured it out yet.....

Ric
01-18-2006, 08:38 PM
I kinda deferred to the people who lived there like BrianM and reserved my judgement of the clown.
I was surprised that so many around the area thought highly of the clown. Apparantly the honeymoon is over

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 08:55 PM
The whole chocolate milk explanation summed it up for me. I hear what Farmer is saying, too. A close friend of ours who lived N.O. for years echos those sentiments.

Tom023
01-18-2006, 09:10 PM
I heard on the radio Nagin got less than half the black vote...I thing he is campaigning already for re-election.

Maristar210
01-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Uuuum Ray?

I am sorry... can I have a moment?

I was wondering what you meant by implying your city should be comprised of solely African Americans by deeming them chocolate? These are your words Ray not mine Ray and as an anglo saxon young american man I am perplexed by your posturing. Ray are you saying that non-African Americans are not welcome in your city? Are the Mexican Americans too much of a uncomparable resource? Do you Ray want to ensure the city is comprised of citizens that represent a better than half the burden of the Welfare amount before you exclaim your wisdom???

I like people that are true to thier word, honest, law abiding and those that serve as a contribution to society....

uuum Ray..... You aint it. In fact you are not even close.....

Steve

BrianM
01-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Lesser of two evils? Nagin must not be as greedy or just hasn't figured it out yet.....

You've got it. Last election came down to a known worthless council member or a businessman that had no political experiance(Nagin) the previous mayor Marc Morial also had tried to get the city charter changed so he could get a third term. That guy was corrupt as they come and many of his cronies are being investigated. So least of the three evils was the unknown.

Took him a little over three years and a hurricane to show his true colors.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2006, 12:25 AM
So, in laymen's terms (or for my lack of understanding your complex english language) He didn't do anything at all since or before he was put in office, then when disaster strikes, it's, blame everyone else because he couldn't put all his ducks in a row..... ;)

twieder
01-19-2006, 12:44 AM
It's kinda funny that no one is screaming raceism here. I'm talkin about the white population here.
Why is it whites don't scream yell and protest?

Cause we don't care thats why! We let them be raceist and we be the bigger people realizing this clown is mussed in the head!

Glad he isn't white,but he gives good people a bad name no matter what color

PendO
01-19-2006, 12:52 AM
I do hope that New Orleans can at some point become as culturally diverse as it once was. Having talked with my friend who lives down there (he's white) he has remarked that the city is a lot different, and many of the poor will not return (by choice or lack of funds) ... personally I would like to see SLC turned in to a Chocolate city, that would be funnny!

I have no problems with what the mayor said (taken in the proper context)

tommcat
01-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Why is it whites don't scream yell and protest?

Cause we don't care thats why! We let them be raceist and we be the bigger people realizing this clown is mussed in the head!

fisrt off we're not allowed to scream racism, that would makes us racists and jesse jackson would be knockin on your door :rolleyes:

second, i do care. i dont like the hypocritical double standard when it comes to race.

BrianM
01-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Here's another good one.

east tx skier
01-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Of course, there's been no mention of the Hershey Highway yet. But that could be wrong for a whole 'nother set of reasons.

twieder
01-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Of course, there's been no mention of the Hershey Highway yet. But that could be wrong for a whole 'nother set of reasons.
I think that comment belongs in the Broke Butt Mountain thread, but i may be wrong?!?

pilot02
01-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Here's another good one.

Dam_, I can only laugh when thinking about the connotations associated with the dome.....

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Anybody else see this in the pic, speaks a thousands words...

You aren't chocolate.....Mississippi's that way!!! Be on your way.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Hmmmm........:confused: Real?

lakes Rick
01-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Hmmmm........:confused: Real?

I think its a great idea.. Send all the chocolates to the chocolate city!!! Isnt that what chocolate man wants???

AND you do not have to be white to be racist!!!!

Ric
01-20-2006, 01:39 AM
OK nobody said it so I will

"giiiiive it up for the sexual chocolates!!!!!"

RexDog1
01-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Well I am going to get up on my soapbox now :eek:

I am a Civil Engineer and we have had about 15 Government contract bids
For the “Chocolate city” everything from Storm Surge And Wave Analysis to
Wave Transmission Under Canal Bridges And so on………………
We have turned down every bid after looking at 5000+ prints and studying
Plans of the “Chocolate City” I don’t care if you spend Billions of “vanilla dollars”
And get all the Umpa Lumpas you can find to rebuild it, I can’t see how you could stop this from Happened again
It may be next year it may be in 100 years but it will happen again

For the Mayor how does he have a job?

For the Racism part
If I make a movie called “White Men Can’t Jump”

Or a movie Called “Black Men Can’t Swim”

Would I be a Racist? :confused:

Danimal
01-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Ray should watch what he says... My city, Burlington, WI, already went head to head with Hersey PA in court to get the legal name of Chocolate City USA.

http://www.burlington-wi.gov/Visitors/chocolate_city_usa.htm

http://www.burlington-wi.gov/images/choccitySign2.gif

tommcat
01-22-2006, 06:03 PM
AND you do not have to be white to be racist!!!!ahh, you are wrong there though. only white people are racists. blacks are just "proud black men" who are "celebrating their heritage" and "fighting the oppression" that "keeps the black man down"

Farmer Ted
01-22-2006, 06:41 PM

And out of left field comes Doug!

OH MY GOD I haven't laughed so hard since I watched 40 Year Old Virgin!

LakePirate
05-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Well according to Headline News Ol' C. Ray Nagin is going to be Mayor for another term. :confused: :eek3:

BrianM
05-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Well according to Headline News Ol' C. Ray Nagin is going to be Mayor for another term. :confused: :eek3:

Yep. Unfortunately the people of New Orleans ended up having to try and decide the lesser of two evils. I liked Nagin until the whole Chocolate City thing. He had actually made some descent strides away from the corrupt politics as usual that New Orleans is know for. So another four years. Only time will tell................................

Ric
05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
I have GOT to get a pic up here of the re elect nagin billboards that are on freeways all over HOUSTON
haahahahhahaha

have fun new orleans!

Think any of the folks voting to reelect nagin would vote to re-elect W? ;)

Ric
05-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Ok I got a couple of pics and will post them asap

Ric
05-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Taken in Houston, Texas 5/22/06

before you ask, no!, this is not my backyard......... :steering:

The committee to re-elect should send me a fee for posting this!!!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
05-23-2006, 11:36 AM
What is a chocolate city?:rolleyes:

Ric
05-23-2006, 11:56 AM
What is a chocolate city?:rolleyes:
Itz jest wherever you stayin'

shepherd
05-23-2006, 09:05 PM
What disturbs me even more is that "God is mad at America." :(

I guess God was mad at Indonesia, India and Thailand when he sent that tsunami their way.

And I guess he was mad at Pakistan and Iran when he caused those earthquakes.

I guess God is just one p!ssed off dude :cool:

Ric
07-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Oh MY GOD I am watching the repeat of the snl with kanye west which I had not already seen.
now I am a BUSH supporter but that is the funniest snl I have seen in a long time
they did anderson 360 and a geraldo appearance

they did mike myers talking to kanye about the aftermath of his stupidity

they did girls gone wild katrina

this is too damn funny or I have had too many beers or both!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Oh MY GOD I am watching the repeat of the snl with kanye west which I had not already seen.
now I am a BUSH supporter but that is the funniest snl I have seen in a long time

I had that on until a little while ago, missed it.....:o

Hoosier Bob
07-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Sorry but I thought a Chocolate city was something like an atomic situp! My Bad!:o Oh MY GOD I am watching the repeat of the snl with kanye west which I had not already seen.

Ric
07-30-2006, 01:31 AM
its still on here they just finished the news update

Ric
07-30-2006, 01:44 AM
The justice roberts cartoon was equally funny as hell!