PDA

View Full Version : 9-1-1 Have you???

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 10:42 AM
After going through the Housephone thread, It seems ALOT of people have the phone for the 911 calls.
Have you ever called 911, and for what?

milkmania
01-18-2006, 11:01 AM
yes,

grass fires, several times

bcampbe7
01-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes, head-on collision in front of my house.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 11:06 AM
(Judging by your pics) Pretty soon you're going to have a brush fire IN the lake!!

ski_king
01-18-2006, 11:11 AM
A few times, most recently to call off the fire department when I hit the wrong button while setting the alarm at work.

I also used it a few times when I was an emt/first resoponder and didnt have communication with the ambulance.

milkmania
01-18-2006, 11:11 AM
(Judging by your pics) Pretty soon you're going to have a brush fire IN the lake!!

still no response from Arkansas game & fish commission:(

/end threadjack

wait, you started this thread and the threadjack......so all is in order:D

pilot02
01-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Yes, on multiple occassions related to neighbors flying (approx 60mph in a 25) up and down the street on 4 wheelers with young kids outside playing and while some idiot was riding a mini chopper with an infant in his lap with no protection at all.

Sorry, Not playing with kids (my own or other's) safety due to someone's stupidity.

stumbledog
01-18-2006, 11:17 AM
When my 4 yr old Daughter was 3mos old, she had an extreme case of reflux. During this particular episode, her "wind-pipe" closed and she was unable to get air. As she beagn to turn blue, my Wife called 911.

Fortunately, this was reflex reaction to prevent fluid from getting into her lungs, and she did begin to breathe on her own before the paramedics arrived. I was not home at the time, and my Wife and oldest Daughter freaked out when Cortni stated to turn blue.

The house phone is great for exactly this type of reassurance. No need to tell anyone where you are. Your address comes up when the 911 operator answers.

milkmania
01-18-2006, 11:22 AM
The house phone is great for exactly this type of reassurance. No need to tell anyone where you are. Your address comes up when the 911 operator answers.

another reason to have DSL instead of dial-up....you get your phone line back

glad everyone was fine in your case.

I did call 911 once for a fight that broke out during a baseball game.....
damned inbreeders:rant:

Ric
01-18-2006, 11:22 AM
a few times........ the best one was from my cell phone where I saw an accident occurr behind me on the freeway, called 911 on my cell, the scholar on the other end hadn't even heard of the freeway, nor the cross street I gave them for reference.... Obviously the call center my call went to wasn't very local OR they let anybody who can pass the pizz test be on the 911 operator board.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Now this might sound stupid, and when someone told me this it did, but it makes "sense". I've heard the best way to get them there fast is to call, say your name and phone number, right away and set the phone down and get back to whatever you are calling for. Otherwise they ask a bunch of questions first, if there is no reply, they send them right away.
Of course this would only work well if it was in your OWN home where the situation is.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 11:28 AM
a few times........ the best one was from my cell phone where I saw an accident occurr behind me on the freeway, called 911 on my cell, the scholar on the other end hadn't even heard of the freeway, nor the cross street I gave them for reference.... Obviously the call center my call went to wasn't very local OR they let anybody who can pass the pizz test be on the 911 operator board.
Hmm.. Ive heard stories around here the operators fell asleep on the job and noone was picking up the calls in the center.
Or they think the call is a joke and harassed the callers. They play the recordings on the news sometimes. Scary thoughts.

milkmania
01-18-2006, 11:31 AM
we've had this on-going family feud.....

not my family, but a couple of families locally fighting over land.
they brought it to my ball fields!

I called 911 from my cell phone...

told them my name, where I was located and simply stated "shots fired"

because I did see a firearm.

the 911 operator took care of the rest;)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Man, I don't know how that statement is treated around there. But I think the swat team and the national guard would be brought in around here for that.

milkmania
01-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Man, I don't know how that statement is treated around there. But I think the swat team and the national guard would be brought in around here for that.

yeah right.....local county sheriff's office showed up......

all 3 of them:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 11:40 AM
With powdered sugar all over their bellies, and pi$$ed off because they were interupted? I've seen movies....

Kevin 89MC
01-18-2006, 12:49 PM
The one time I called it, I got the opposite response. I was driving and heard a crash up ahead. When I got to the scene about 2 seconds later, I called 911 because a van was on it's roof. Before I could even say a word, the operator said "are you calling to report the crash on Hwy 100 and (wherever)? I said yep, they said they already recieved a few calls, ambulance/police/wrecker are on the way. I thought that was pretty great. Makes me feel secure, at least where I live!

erkoehler
01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
I have called atleast a dozen times, all work related! Good ol' Target. Usually when we try to stop someone for shoplifting and a fight breaks out. Basically call say there is a fight in progress Glendale Heights Super Target, and we need HELP right away. Offender is resisting, OH SHEET, gotta go, we need atleast 2 officers, and fast...... :eek:

Cloaked
01-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes. To initiated the proper protocol for entering 911 into speed dial and to ensure that it connects, on a test basis.

Also cellular 911 will not necessarily get one the local authorities. My 911 cellular connects two counties and 35 miles away. Program in the local direct dial number.

Ryan
01-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Now this might sound stupid, and when someone told me this it did, but it makes "sense". I've heard the best way to get them there fast is to call, say your name and phone number, right away and set the phone down and get back to whatever you are calling for. Otherwise they ask a bunch of questions first, if there is no reply, they send them right away.
Of course this would only work well if it was in your OWN home where the situation is.

From my CPR/First-Aid instructor days and a little knowledge from my Dad when he set up many cities's E-911 systems (the one that brings your address up). This is not the best idea to call and leave them hanging. It doesn't matter what your name is you have got to at least confirm your address. You really should let them hang up first. There are too many chances for errors in data entry, or misinformation given to a contractor from a city's database. The worste is when a difference like Circle and Lane mean life or death.

While you're up to get a phone, if your front door is locked go unlock and open it, then go back to the victim.

911 calls from cell phones go to a call center that will transfer you to your local EMS dispatch center. In some cases it's a state-wide call center where they will have no clue about the details of your area. In CA it goes to the Highway Patrol. Make sure you stay on until they transfer you. Some VOIP systems work similar to this. So you really have to make sure they know your location.

Check your area for numbers like 311 or 511 where you can report loud parties or non-injury fender benders - they keep the 911 lines clear.
-stepping off soap box-

richardsoncd
01-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I called once about a pit bull attacking a ladies dog & turning on the lady, I tried to hit it with my Jeep and it attacked the bumper, the cops got there in less than 3 minutes

AirJunky
01-18-2006, 02:06 PM
I've called 4 times in 2 yrs..... once was a domestic violence fight with a neighbor & his wife. They were wrestling over a pistol.

The other 3 times were to test 911 as I had just configured my address in the VOIP companies' database. In all 3 cases my address popped up on their screen & the operator confirmed it with me. Worked like a charm.

River Rat
01-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Yes 2 times,
first time they had already heard about the wreck, second time was when a drunk (I thought) had ran past a school bus unloading and ran into one kid and ran over the foot of another while never slowing down. I followed the car until police could catch him. First I was connected to a local PD down the road “it’s not our area let me connect you to Angleton PD” Then Angleton said “it’s not our area let me connect you to the County” By this time I was livid…. The guy was heading the wrong way down a divided Hwy at 25 mph. He had hit 2 kids 1 school bus and one car and they wanted to play musical chairs. Finally a motorist stopped him and took the keys away to wait for the cops. The kids only had 1 broken foot and 1 broken leg, but it was not pretty. The moms of both were standing in the drive way right in front of them when they got hit. :eek: Turns out the man had had a stroke and had no idea who or where he was. (Rumor was it was drug induced but I never heard the official report)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 03:29 PM
I called once about a pit bull attacking a ladies dog & turning on the lady, I tried to hit it with my Jeep and it attacked the bumper, the cops got there in less than 3 minutes
There is something seriously wrong with that breed!!!!

milkmania
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
There is something seriously wrong with that breed!!!!

I had one biting the tires of my riding lawn mower......as I was mowing

and after squirting her with a bottle of homemade cayenne pepper & ammonia solution!!!!!!

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
I think twice for a house fire. Once for a "stolen" car (I will not repeat the details of this story).

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
I had one biting the tires of my riding lawn mower......as I was mowing

and after squirting her with a bottle of homemade cayenne pepper & ammonia solution!!!!!!
You're lucky they were called on YOU. What the heck are you doing riding around on a tractor with that mix? Put the wrong stuff in your bloody Mary?

milkmania
01-18-2006, 04:10 PM
You're lucky they were called on YOU. What the heck are you doing riding around on a tractor with that mix? Put the wrong stuff in your bloody Mary?

on the advice of the County Sheriff

he also told me how to use a tater on the end of a .22 to muffle the noise.....

but the sights were off:o

now, I just mow the yard with my Springfield Armory XD-40 shoulder strapped on:cool:

Datdude
01-18-2006, 11:29 PM
I hit a deer....actually the deer ran into the side of my truck :mad:

twieder
01-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Yes to report a tornado about half a mile away from a buddies house I was at.
It must be a cellphone thing, but i first got the opperator from the county to the south(Allen) of us by about 25 miles. I asked to be transfered to the county to the north(Henry) cause bu then it was about 3miles from the line and movin fast. But nooo...I get Putnam co. opperator which was the co. I was in. The dispatcher tells me to take cover, but the tornado is about 3 miles away by now.
She did finally put me through to Henry co. after 3 other people had reported it in the county. Fortunately no one in my area got hurt, but it was still a waste of 5-7 minutes gettin jacked around.

BTW that had to be the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life!

Kevin 89MC
01-19-2006, 11:50 AM
I hit a deer....actually the deer ran into the side of my truck :mad:
Finally someone who will believe me when I say that I got run into by a deer two times! Both times the deer stood in the ditch and stared at me as I approached. Both times I'm going ~65 mph, so I slow down a bit, and then leaps for my car at the last second. Both times they hit the back door. No damage on one, but a good dent one time. The insurance co. did laugh a bit, but they paid.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Emmmm... These two stories would be better told if they ended...

"And then we ate jerky for a week......"

LakePirate
01-19-2006, 02:30 PM
I have called 911 several times. Mostly from the car to report accidents. On one occasion I saw a mustang swerve to avoid an accident, hit another car and then the mustang wound up in a large fountain in front of a neighborhood. I called 911 and sat on hold for 25 minutes waiting for someone to answer.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2006, 06:38 PM
One of the times I called was on the road too, car on fire on the expressway. It wasn'y stopped yet!

Kevin 89MC
01-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Emmmm... These two stories would be better told if they ended...

"And then we ate jerky for a week......"
Yeah, I wish. The sad thing is, both deer took off into the woods. One ran, but one was stumbling. Both likely died after suffering. I'd rather have them in my freezer, especially because both those years we got nothing during hunting season. :mad: Oh well, I'm sure other creatures in the forest had an easy dinner that night.