PDA

View Full Version : How well do nibral props clean up?

vegashomeexpert
01-18-2006, 12:43 AM
My prop has some nicks and dings, and maybe a bend or 2. Do nibral props repair as nicely as aluminum props?

Sodar
01-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Nibral cleans up just fine. Any prop shop can make them look brand new.

Hoosier Bob
01-18-2006, 12:45 AM
I may be out of line but I believe you can check with the manufacturer of your prop to identify those that are capable of repairing said prop. I would also believe that new is new and rebuilt is rebuilt. The best way is to not hit abything, but when you do you have a new spare! :D My prop has some nicks and dings, and maybe a bend or 2. Do nibral props repair as nicely as aluminum props?

vegashomeexpert
01-18-2006, 12:53 AM
I may be out of line but I believe you can check with the manufacturer of your prop to identify those that are capable of repairing said prop. I would also believe that new is new and rebuilt is rebuilt. The best way is to not hit abything, but when you do you have a new spare! :D
Full agreement about not hitting anything. Not saying I have never damaged a prop, but this damaged prop came with the boat. The original owner had it for just over 2 years (3 summers), and I found an invoice for a previous prop repair at his 100 hr service. I got the boat at 180 hrs. Wasn't quite sure if this is how they clean up or if he did more damage. Considering other stuff I have found on the boat and heard on the dock, I think this is new damage.

MarkP
01-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Full agreement about not hitting anything. Not saying I have never damaged a prop, but this damaged prop came with the boat. The original owner had it for just over 2 years (3 summers), and I found an invoice for a previous prop repair at his 100 hr service. I got the boat at 180 hrs. Wasn't quite sure if this is how they clean up or if he did more damage. Considering other stuff I have found on the boat and heard on the dock, I think this is new damage.
I would think it was new damage too. You should have a hard time telling a repaired from a new..

Ric
01-18-2006, 01:36 AM
ask alot of questions of the shop
some like to clean it up by removing some of the diameter
if this is what you want, it's ok , but just know of the practice and request what you want done

PendO
01-18-2006, 01:38 AM
ric, are you going to put a SS prop on your 197? I was thinking about it but am a bit to afraid to hit a rock or something ...

Ric
01-18-2006, 01:42 AM
ric, are you going to put a SS prop on your 197? I was thinking about it but am a bit to afraid to hit a rock or something ...
no way!! I love the machined prop and have no reason to go with s/s. I dont want to deal with other damage due to the s/s prop not bending when coming in contact with debris when I'm on public water, nor the hassle of changing it out, nor the thought process involved in changing my already successful prop :steering:

WakeSeeky
01-18-2006, 12:16 PM

Knowing your p/o, it's probably new damage. When we bought his last boat, we had to have the prop repaired, although it was bad enough that we bought a new prop & kept the old one for a spare. Whoever did the repair did a good job, but there was just too damage to make it "like new".

Anyhow, the MC dealer at that time sent it out for us. I don't know who they sent it to or even if MCLV uses the same place, but you could try giving them a call & see what they recommend. Cost about $100 and took about a week, if I remember right.

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 12:32 PM
In some instances, a refurbed, rebalanced prop will perform better than when you got it "new." That was our experience with the first refurb on my father-in-law's prop after I bent it 3 ways from last week. If it's an OEM OJ prop, I'd recommend sending it to OJ. Prices for a refurb are reasonable there and they do dynamite work.

vegashomeexpert
01-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Knowing your p/o, it's probably new damage. When we bought his last boat, we had to have the prop repaired, although it was bad enough that we bought a new prop & kept the old one for a spare. Whoever did the repair did a good job, but there was just too damage to make it "like new".

Anyhow, the MC dealer at that time sent it out for us. I don't know who they sent it to or even if MCLV uses the same place, but you could try giving them a call & see what they recommend. Cost about $100 and took about a week, if I remember right.
I have used R&R in Henderson before and will take it to them and see how it comes out. If not perfect, will get a new one. Never hurts to have a spare!

WilliamsFamLV
01-18-2006, 12:46 PM
VHE,

Marine Propeller Works on Sunset between Boulder Hwy and 95 has repaired both my OJ and Acme. Did a great job. When I change props I just swing by. Call ahead to make sure they are in the shop.

:)

vegashomeexpert
01-18-2006, 01:27 PM
VHE,

Marine Propeller Works on Sunset between Boulder Hwy and 95 has repaired both my OJ and Acme. Did a great job. When I change props I just swing by. Call ahead to make sure they are in the shop.

:)
I've used them before, too, and they do a fine job. Just found the owner of R&R a little more helpful/professional when I was purchasing a prop. He seems to know everything about every boat (prop wise). If the prop doesn't do what he says it will, just bring it back.

east tx skier
01-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Certainly not pushing OJ on you for R&R, but just to give you a little more info on it. Refurb (and presumably rebalance) was $75 for a 3 blade ($85 for a 4 blade). At $10 to ship it each time. So $105. Once they had the prop, I remember the turnaround being about 2 days before it was back on the truck to me. Much quicker than the timeframe I was quoted locally.

WakeSeeky
01-18-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm sure ours was repaired locally, I just don't know which shop did it. They did a great job with what they had, but the damage was just bad enough we didn't want to use it as a regular prop. Anyhow, I think you'll be happy with the repair.

rodltg2
01-18-2006, 04:37 PM
why you guys hittin stuff?

WakeSeeky
01-18-2006, 04:46 PM
We didn't and neither did Vegas... we happen to have a common previous owner. He hit most everything he came across, I think.

Hoosier Bob
01-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Acme recommends that an NMPA certified repair shop repair the prop. They also say that the original CNC tool lines may be altered or removed but will not effect prop performance.Any questions regarding repair of an ACME propellor can be answered at 1-888-661-2263.
Good luck!

WilliM1940
01-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Newbie here, I did send my prop to OJ and it came back quickly...too quickly, this is not the same prop I sent. I had a 13 x 13 lh from an '85 S&S 1:1, and when I measured the OD of the refurb it is 12 inches. Called OJ and they said this was normal, that a 13 inch prop does not measure 13 straight on. Anyone out there know of this? This prop is definately 12 inch OD. Seems wrong.

beef
01-23-2006, 04:18 PM
I think OJ is correct. I've got a 13x13 OJ still in the box, and it measures just shy of 12" point-to-point. I sent a different prop directly to them for reconditioning & was very happy with the results.

whitedog
01-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Newbie here, I did send my prop to OJ and it came back quickly...too quickly, this is not the same prop I sent. I had a 13 x 13 lh from an '85 S&S 1:1, and when I measured the OD of the refurb it is 12 inches. Called OJ and they said this was normal, that a 13 inch prop does not measure 13 straight on. Anyone out there know of this? This prop is definately 12 inch OD. Seems wrong.

Measure from the center of the hub to the edge of the blade and multiply by 2. (radious X 2) On a 3 blade prop the blades are not directy across from each other.

vegashomeexpert
01-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Certainly not pushing OJ on you for R&R, but just to give you a little more info on it. Refurb (and presumably rebalance) was $75 for a 3 blade ($85 for a 4 blade). At $10 to ship it each time. So $105. Once they had the prop, I remember the turnaround being about 2 days before it was back on the truck to me. Much quicker than the timeframe I was quoted locally.
That is quick. Here they usually say it will take a week. Right now, I have nothing but time because it is cold and windy. Will keep them in mind for the future, though. Thanks Mr. Eastie!

vegashomeexpert
01-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Sometimes stuff just gets in the way and you gotta hit it. :mad:

André
01-23-2006, 07:42 PM
The kind of joke that will bring bad karma to your 'Bu rod... :rolleyes:

WilliM1940
01-26-2006, 09:58 PM
I did, this was one blade measured on the radius from the hub bore. It is 6 inches. OJ claims the 13 is only 12.5 for real, and they compensated by adding cup to the trailing edge. I was under the impression they brought them back to new, maybe it is not possible (although I thought it was possible to add material by brazing then removing for restoration). Maybe if your old prop is dinged but running good in other respects, use it as a spare, get a new one if you want new quality.

EJ OJPROP
01-28-2006, 11:01 AM
I did, this was one blade measured on the radius from the hub bore. It is 6 inches. OJ claims the 13 is only 12.5 for real, and they compensated by adding cup to the trailing edge. I was under the impression they brought them back to new, maybe it is not possible (although I thought it was possible to add material by brazing then removing for restoration). Maybe if your old prop is dinged but running good in other respects, use it as a spare, get a new one if you want new quality.

Hope to clear up the issues with this particular repair. E-mail reply sent to Bill regarding his questions of his repiar.

Bill,

I noticed you had placed a post on the forum on the MasterCraft site. I thought I would respond in an e-mail and let you know the details of your repair.

I just spoke with the tech that repaired your propeller. The propeller you sent in was the original 13 X 13 from 1985. This propeller has seen a few repairs in the past 21 years. The original diameter of the propeller would have been less than 13", close to 12 1/2". We had always rounded up the diameter when sizing. When we received your propeller the diameter was a little over 12". This is due to the previous repairs of the propeller. When we get a propeller that has been repaired by another shop, we can only do what we can from the previous repair. Some shops will "cut and cup" instead of repairing the propeller correctly, so we are left to try and repair the repair. We fixed the damage to your propeller and added cup to the trailing edge to help reduce the high RPM that would be associated with the reduced diameter of the propeller from the previous repairs. So yes, your propeller does measure close to 12" in diameter however, the diameter of your propeller is the same as when it arrived at our facility

I trust you will the find the performance of your repaired propeller to be satisfactory. If you do not, please let me know and I will take care of it for you. Thank you for choosing Johnson Propeller for your repair needs.

Regards,
Eric Johnson
Johnson Propeller Co, INC
800-359-9730

vegashomeexpert
01-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Hope to clear up the issues with this particular repair. E-mail reply sent to Bill regarding his questions of his repiar.

Bill,

I noticed you had placed a post on the forum on the MasterCraft site. I thought I would respond in an e-mail and let you know the details of your repair.

I just spoke with the tech that repaired your propeller. The propeller you sent in was the original 13 X 13 from 1985. This propeller has seen a few repairs in the past 21 years. The original diameter of the propeller would have been less than 13", close to 12 1/2". We had always rounded up the diameter when sizing. When we received your propeller the diameter was a little over 12". This is due to the previous repairs of the propeller. When we get a propeller that has been repaired by another shop, we can only do what we can from the previous repair. Some shops will "cut and cup" instead of repairing the propeller correctly, so we are left to try and repair the repair. We fixed the damage to your propeller and added cup to the trailing edge to help reduce the high RPM that would be associated with the reduced diameter of the propeller from the previous repairs. So yes, your propeller does measure close to 12" in diameter however, the diameter of your propeller is the same as when it arrived at our facility

I trust you will the find the performance of your repaired propeller to be satisfactory. If you do not, please let me know and I will take care of it for you. Thank you for choosing Johnson Propeller for your repair needs.

Regards,
Eric Johnson
Johnson Propeller Co, INC
800-359-9730
I'm impressed! :)

east tx skier
01-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Just to give everyone an idea, this is what I did to my father-in-law's propeller. OJ restored this prop to better performance than before I lactomangulated it. Was it like new? Who knows. It performed right on the money though. The next time we sent it in, he'd dinged it and it wasn't something they could fix, and they told him so. He bought an XMp and has been happy with it.

Just posting to show that even when it looks horrible, it is repairable.

east tx skier
01-28-2006, 02:08 PM
You can see how badly the prop was bent in this picture.

lakes Rick
01-29-2006, 06:17 PM
All I can say is I am never letting Eastie take out my boat!!!

I agree with Eastie on the prop repair.. Dinged the old prop on my TriStar and when I got it back from repair it was smoother and faster than before....

vegashomeexpert
02-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Picked up the prop. Looks brand new. Lets hope it performs that way. :cool:

WakeSeeky
02-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Looks good! Glad they were able to fix it for you. Too bad the weather's turned lousy on us, you'd have an excuse to get out on the water. :D

vegashomeexpert
02-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Looks good! Glad they were able to fix it for you. Too bad the weather's turned lousy on us, you'd have an excuse to get out on the water. :D
I am getting real antsy. Have you been out lately? :)

WakeSeeky
02-16-2006, 04:54 PM
:mad: Too much going on last weekend when it was beautiful and now it looks like wind for this weekend. If we do get a decent day, though, we'll be out this weekend. At least there's three days this weekend to give it a try. :D