PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Anyone else have a trampoline in their yard. Big or small. I think ours is 14', but it has me nervous all the time about kids getting in it and hurting themselves.
Am I being too cautious?

Farmer Ted
01-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Anyone else have a trampoline in their yard. Big or small. I think ours is 14', but it has me nervous all the time about kids getting in it and hurting themselves.
Am I being too cautious?

We have a 14' in our yard, we're really strict with the kids jumping on it and luckily we've gotten it in their head that only one person at a time can jump (they usually get three other kids on to play popcorn or something like that)

vegashomeexpert
01-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Am I being too cautious?
I (we) are on our 3rd trampoline and yes, you are being way to cautious. In 7 years, we have had only minor injuries: 1 hyperextended knee, 2 compressed neck vertibrae, assorted bumps and bruises and that is it! What is the benefit? Both kids are in great shape, son can do front and back flips, daughter can do front flips (keep telling her that is the harder way to go). When they are bored or stressed, they go jump. Just keep it on the grass. ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Ours has the net all the way around, and it zips. They are suppose to zip it shut one at a time when they are in there. But it's tough not worrying....

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2006, 10:40 PM
I guess I worry about the landing on the head trick and tweakin' the neck.

Hoosier Bob
01-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Last development I lived in I watched a kid doing flips next door. He ended up landing funny and I got to call the ambulance and watch his leg bend in directions it was never intended. That being said he was very uncoordinated and should have never been on the tramp in the first place. Common sense and a lot of fun and all should be well. Keeping an eye on the situation would not hurt! :D

Leroy
01-17-2006, 10:42 PM
We have one we carried back from Belgium! We had 22 seven year olds on it at daughters b-day. Routinely have 4 adults. Never an injury. You must have the net!!

Ric
01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
we HAD one (14' variflex model with screen enclosure)
santa brought it Christmas 04
a weird windstorm popped up this last spring and literally lifted it up, hit the house a few times and landed in the front yard (NO BS, I said OVER the house!!)
I drove up and found this in the neighbor's driveway.
inspected it, took pics and dragged it to the curb, it was a total loss

Leroy
01-17-2006, 10:44 PM
I did that once and it hurt, but nothing permanent! Kids all laughed!

vegashomeexpert
01-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Hate to say it but both kids have landed on their head (that's why I put 2 compressed vertebrae, although neither went to the doctor or are showing any long term affects). It is scary, especially if you see it happen, but I would much rather have them land on their head on a trampoline than in the street or through a car window. I was there for both headstands. It scared them, it scared me, but both were up and jumping again in minutes (and they were both teenagers at the time!).

erkoehler
santa brought it Christmas 05
a weird windstorm popped up this last spring and literally lifted it up, hit the house a few times and landed in the front yard (NO BS, I said OVER the house!!)

Wouldn't Christmas of 2005 be like a month ago???? You have already had spring :confused:

flipper
Don't have one now, but always had one growing up. Kids can bend in ways that we can't and heal faster. Jumping one at a time is no fun. The only people that I have seen hurt pretty bad (broken arm, leg, and one collar bone) were all a result of falling off. I think if the area around the tramp is soft like a net or something, they should be fine. We use to jump off the roof of the two story house on to the tramp and had blast. To this day don't think the parents know about that part though.

vegashomeexpert
01-17-2006, 10:51 PM
santa brought it Christmas 05
And THAT is whey we are on our third! Once the frames bend from being blown around, or over the fence in our case, they turn into "tacos". Kids had great fun with that for a while. Tramp #2 blew over the fence into the desert behind us never to be seen again.

T Scott
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
I have a 14 footer with the safety net. My brother in law is an emergency roon physician and before I bought it, I asked him the types of trampoline related injuries he sees. He said the vast majority are related to falling off the trampoline or collisions with other jumpers. To that end, I strictly enforce the "one jumper at a time" rule, as well as always keeping the safety net up and well maintained.

milkmania
01-18-2006, 12:10 AM
my son had to have three stitches in his right hand (during baseball season)

he wasn't even on the trampoline!
like most have stated, they're a wreck when the wind catches them.
we were over at the neighbor's house, putting theirs back together....

standing on the ground, he had his hand on the rail.... there was still some gaps where the swegged ends of the pipe come together, the guy's daughter makes one jump, and I hear my son screamimg because his first finger is pinched in the gap!:eek:

and to think....
my son asked me if he could jump on the trampoline... I told him "no, not while you're in ball season. You get hurt and you're out of baseball for the season":rolleyes:

he played the next day with stitches and and aluminum splint:woohoo:

PendO
01-18-2006, 12:46 AM

C'mon Ric, you could still bounce on that thing!

I will let my kids rollerblade while haning on to a car before I let them jump on tramp, I can remember getting hurt pretty bad in Jr. high on two separte ocassions, once falling off (bounced off as there were too many peeps jumping) and once spraining my ankle terribly bad.

I'll give my son a GSXR and tell him to ride w/o a helmet b4 he jumps on a tramp!

Ric
01-18-2006, 12:50 AM
it may have been a blessing from above that windstorm saved us from any future injuries!
while looking at the damage I called the number on the label and they priced the jumping surface and a couple of other parts and shipping which all added up to nearly twice the price I paid new for the whole thing so I just dragged it to the curb and am waiting for a revolt here before I even think about buying another one

AirJunky
01-18-2006, 02:26 AM
I've jumped on them plenty of times & never been hurt. Even learned a backflip at one point. Definitely helps your "air sense" which will get used behind the boat too.

But a friend of mine had a horrible experience on one. He had a large round one & dug a hole in his yard for it. The tramp sat in the hole so the top surface was flush with the ground around it. Hes out there alone jumping, practicing his flips. This guy is a doctor & should have known never do this alone. But he's doing it anyway & ends up landing so his back is across the frame, pads & all, breaking 2 vertebrate up near his shoulders. Being a doctor, he knows not to move or risk injury even further. So he lays there for over 2 hours before someone comes home & sees him laying out there. They call the ambulance & get him to the hospital. End result, he had a pretty serious spine injury & was paralyzed for almost a year. He still has partial paralasys & uses a crutch to walk. Everyday is a lot of work for him. After 2 years he was able to Sky Ski again. It was a HUGE accomplishment to get out there again.
So be careful. Very careful.

sizzler
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
we have one with the nets as well......blown all over the place until i anchored it down.....the nets are a piece of mind.....but you still worry....

erkoehler
01-18-2006, 04:15 AM
Has anybody ever had the opportunity to use one of those water trampolines?

Ben
01-18-2006, 07:22 AM
ERK: I"ve heard the water tramps aren't that great, since there is no solid tie to the ground to support it & react your weight, so you don't get a good bounce. Never tried personally yet..

Trampoline topic: Almost everything a kid does is dangerous in some way or another. IMO, The game it to limit / control the danger. If you don't let them do anything that MAY be dangerous, they'll need to be in the basement watching TV 24/7. Teach them to be safe & responsible & hopefully nothing bad will happen.

One neat idea is to bury the tramp. Some neighbors growing up did this, the mat was flush with the ground. Not only did this make it a lot safer to jump on, you didn't have to worry about getting on / off either. Quite pleasing aestetically too. (spelling?).

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 09:57 AM
A buddy of mine had the same thing happen. And he had 5 gallon buckets of sand holding the thing down. Well, what should have helped hold it down made things worse. The wind lifted the thing straight in the air and when it dropped, the posts went right trought the roof of his RV!!! And the rain that followed, needless to say it wasn't pretty when he arrives home to see the trapoline IN the roof of his RV.
He replaced it with a new one. We welded it all together and anchored it with concrete posts and straps.

Mine, I buried the bottoms of the legs and straped the legs to the posts. Shouldn't move, maybe not even when I want it to. My grass doesn't like it much under it, thats for sure.