PDA

View Full Version : House phone, Still??

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Has anyone else eliminated their house phone because of cell phones and, etc..? We did awhile ago because we never used it.
I talk to quite a few people that have as well, or are in the process of.

My decision was based on,
Between the 2 cells, office 3 lines, voicemail on all, 4 email accounts, phone text and image capability. It was driving me crazy. And to be at home and have those darn calls about buying junk, that last call pushed me too far.

Farmer Ted
01-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Has anyone else eliminated their house phone because of cell phones and, etc..? We did awhile ago because we never used it.
I talk to quite a few people that have as well, or are in the process of.

My decision was based on,
Between the 2 cells, office 3 lines, voicemail on all, 4 email accounts, phone text and image capability. It was driving me crazy. And to be at home and have those darn calls about buying junk, that last call pushed me too far.

WHen I first moved back to the states I only had a cell, then just plain old land line no bells or whistles. We just switched to Packet8 (thanks BrianM!) for $19.99 a month unlimited long-distance.

6ballsisall
01-17-2006, 10:32 PM
VOIP home line here. Don't really need to keep it but lots of people have that number so for $20 I'll keep it.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2006, 10:34 PM
I am not looking for another line of any sort, too many as it is, I'd like to yank the plug on some others. But what else do you get for that 20? I know it's Voice Over IP, but does it provide any other service to your home?

6ballsisall
01-17-2006, 10:39 PM
I am not looking for another line of any sort, too many as it is, I'd like to yank the plug on some others. But what else do you get for that 20? I know it's Voice Over IP, but does it provide any other service to your home?

search www.lingo.com or www.packet8.net you can buy additional stuff but the lines come with the extras such as caller ID, call waiting, 3 way calling, etc.....

Ric
01-17-2006, 10:41 PM
I use only my cell now
I do still have my home line for the alarm and 911 purposes but it's only $20/mo and the ringer is OFF.

Cloaked
01-17-2006, 10:44 PM
I use only my cell now
I do still have my home line for the alarm and 911 purposes but it's only $20/mo and the ringer is OFF.
Same here. I have been cellular for years, and hard-line-phoneless since nationwide calls went local.

ski_king
01-17-2006, 10:45 PM
I would love to drop my home phone line, but home is the one place where my cell phone signal sucks.
I have considered VOIP but not sold because of 911 and loss of power issues.

bcampbe7
01-17-2006, 10:46 PM
While in college, cell only was the way to go.
We keep the home phone line for my wife's practice and the alarm.
Other than that we use the cell phones.

erkoehler
01-17-2006, 10:47 PM
I would love to drop my home phone line, but home is the one place where my cell phone signal sucks.
I have considered VOIP but not sold because of 911 and loss of power issues.

Can you not call 911 or what?

bcampbe7
01-17-2006, 10:48 PM

No, there's no "11" on the VoIP phones. :D

6ballsisall
01-17-2006, 10:49 PM

They have it available now. I pay a small fee for it

ski_king
01-17-2006, 10:49 PM
The 911 center reconizes the call as a cell phone and dosnt have the street address, but they are working on that.

ski_king
01-17-2006, 10:50 PM
No, there's no "11" on the VoIP phones.
good one ;)

6ballsisall
01-17-2006, 10:56 PM
There is a registration process you can go thru to make it work. It takes some effort but it can be done. I did it.

Farmer Ted
01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
There is a registration process you can go thru to make it work. It takes some effort but it can be done. I did it.

you just need to register your phone number to your address and acknowledge that you understand it may take longer to get in touch with a 911 operator. No issue here since we both have cells.

6ballsisall
01-17-2006, 11:05 PM
you just need to register your phone number to your address and acknowledge that you understand it may take longer to get in touch with a 911 operator. No issue here since we both have cells.

TRU DAT! :toast:

milkmania
01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
No, there's no "11" on the VoIP phones. :D

i was biting into an orange and had to laugh out of my nose when I read thathttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif

JimN
01-17-2006, 11:21 PM
I use DSL, so I need a landline but I also use it for fax. I only answer it if I hear who's on the line after the answering machine picks up.

milkmania
01-17-2006, 11:38 PM
I use DSL, so I need a landline but I also use it for fax. I only answer it if I hear who's on the line after the answering machine picks up.

I need to do that....my only use for the landline is for my DSL also and the kids might need to call 911

My cingular cell phone service is from the Little Rock Arkansas market, so cell calls to 911 are routed to another state:rolleyes:

PendO
01-18-2006, 12:34 AM
My phone line and the misc. BS my monthly phone bill costs 34 bucks, and we use it for the alarm and to receive telemarketing, and my alarm monitoring costs 84 bucks a quarter ... and I thought cable was a rip off ......arghhhhhhhhhhh!

milkmania
01-18-2006, 12:38 AM
My phone line and the misc. BS my monthly phone bill costs 34 bucks, and we use it for the alarm and to receive telemarketing, and my alarm monitoring costs 84 bucks a quarter ... and I thought cable was a rip off ......arghhhhhhhhhhh!

well..........
actually I have a computer customer that get's junk mail.....on her fax machine!!!:eek:

I went over and ran her regular fax machine through her modem, gave her some fax software....when she gets a new fax, she opens it with her PC, then decides if she wants to print it or not.

before that, that thing printed six different times when I was over for other issues....all junk mail!

Ric
01-18-2006, 12:40 AM
well..........
actually I have a computer customer that get's junk mail.....on her fax machine!!!:eek:

I went over and ran her regular fax machine through her modem, gave her some fax software....when she gets a new fax, she opens it with her PC, then decides if she wants to print it or not.

before that, that thing printed six different times when I was over for other issues....all junk mail!

what "other issues" milkman?
I think I now know where you got that screen name :banana:

milkmania
01-18-2006, 12:51 AM
what "other issues" milkman?
I think I now know where you got that screen name :banana:

let's just say.....

Packet8 http://aritah.com/images/smilies/tempted.gif

Ric
01-18-2006, 12:55 AM
let's just say.....

Packet8 http://aritah.com/images/smilies/tempted.gif
I dont know what packet 8 is, you sly dog you :woohoo:

AirJunky
01-18-2006, 02:09 AM
I've had VOIP for over 2 yrs in 3 different houses & 911 works fine if you set it up. All that involves is entering your address right. I've tested it each time & always got thru to the dispatcher without a problem. I've also setup VOIP in 2 other homes & had the exact same experience each time. The issues talked about by the media are due to the person never setting up the address in the 911 setup.
As for the power issue, the VOIP is setup to automatically forward to whatever phone I want anytime the VOIP is down for any reason..... ie; cellular. So it's never been down for any length of time.
The cool feature Vonage has is called Simulring. Someone calls my home phone & it will ring the home phone & the cell at the same time.
And it does work for alarms, fax, Tivo, satellite, etc. You will need a special line that uses a different compression scheme. It adds $5 per month to the cost.
We use our cells less now so the cost of adding VOIP was a wash due to the cell savings.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-18-2006, 10:11 AM
OK, I am not a tech guru, I have to ask a dumb question, what is VOIP?? :o :huh: I have no idea. The cell service SUCKS here in da UP. I must keep a regular land line. you just cant count on cells here, the service is too hit and miss. Bummer though, as it would be nice to have solid cell signal. so whats the deal with VOIP? What is it?

:o

Ric
01-18-2006, 10:25 AM
OK, I am not a tech guru, I have to ask a dumb question, what is VOIP?? :o :huh: I have no idea. The cell service SUCKS here in da UP. I must keep a regular land line. you just cant count on cells here, the service is too hit and miss. Bummer though, as it would be nice to have solid cell signal. so whats the deal with VOIP? What is it?

oooh oooh I know this one!! voice over internet phone ? hahahahahah certify me!

01-18-2006, 10:27 AM
OKAY Horseshack, We see you, we see you :D

so how does it work? talking over the internet?

help a brutha out here.

milkmania
01-18-2006, 10:33 AM
oooh oooh I know this one!! voice over internet phone ? hahahahahah certify me!

"let me help you out there, Tim"http://www.tvacres.com/images/borland_shirt2.jpg

Voice Over Internet Protocol;)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 10:38 AM

What cell carrier do you have? Not that others would be better up there, just wondering. My buddies Cingular works great in the UP. Nextel and Sprint don't as we have found out.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 10:39 AM
"let me help you out there, Tim"http://www.tvacres.com/images/borland_shirt2.jpg

Is Ric, Tim?

BrianM
01-18-2006, 10:41 AM

Basicly you get a box that routes your calls over the internet. Once it is set up it is pretty seemless. Go here: www.packet8.net (http://www.packet8.net) or here: www.vonage.com (http://www.vonage.com) and read the faqs that will give you the low down.

AirJunky
01-18-2006, 10:42 AM
OKAY Horseshack, We see you, we see you :D

so how does it work? talking over the internet?

help a brutha out here.
Yea, it's talking over the net, more or less. The difference in the newer services is that you plug one of their routers into your broadband modem & then plug you phones into that. I bought one of those cordless phones that supports 4 handsets at Costco & that has been our land line for the last couple years. Cost is about $20 - $25 per month, no long distance in all of North America. Works great.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 10:44 AM
A friend of mine had or has a phone he uses through his cable modem. And pays nothing extra. Could this be right?

01-18-2006, 10:46 AM
What cell carrier do you have? Not that others would be better up there, just wondering. My buddies Cingular works great in the UP. Nextel and Sprint don't as we have found out.

We only have Cellular One, and Alltell up here. All other Cell providers show "sorry, no service in your area" when we check them out. Its a bummer. Cellone and alltell dont work that great here either. Depends on WHERE in the UP you are. Where does he use his cingular in da up?

Ric
01-18-2006, 10:53 AM

Milk you have a smiley over there showing the air being let out of a balloon?

AirJunky
01-18-2006, 11:17 AM
A friend of mine had or has a phone he uses through his cable modem. And pays nothing extra. Could this be right?I think there are services like Skype that cost nothing if you call other Skype users & 1 or 2 cents per minute if you want to call a regular phone. But you have to use their special phones too.
The beauty of services like Vonage, Lingo & Packet8 is you use a regular phone, corded or cordless. Plus you can take your old phone # with you to the VOIP service.
Another nice Vonage feature..... for like $5/mo. you can get another phone number in another area on top of your regular one. I moved away from Seattle a couple years ago. But we still have a local Seattle # plus a local Spokane #. So all our old friends & family in Seattle can still call us without it costing them long distance.

milkmania
01-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Milk you have a smiley over there showing the air being let out of a balloon?

how about a wedgie instead?http://aritah.com/images/smilies/wedgie.gif

just messin with ya....
seriously, it would break my heart having known that I've offended someone in here:wavey:

milkmania
01-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Cost is about $20 - $25 per month, no long distance in all of North America. Works great.

agreed, my brother in law and I tested it for lag time....

we each counted to ten simultaneously and did not detect any noticable lag time.

I was impressed:cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
We only have Cellular One, and Alltell up here. All other Cell providers show "sorry, no service in your area" when we check them out. Its a bummer. Cellone and alltell dont work that great here either. Depends on WHERE in the UP you are. Where does he use his cingular in da up?
Wakefield, Hurley areas.