PDA

View Full Version : Won't start after overheat.

east tx skier
09-13-2004, 06:10 PM
My father in law's boat (98 Prostar 205, 350 TBI) started to overheat two weekends ago while he was pulling his granddaughter on a zip sled. He said it was just under or right at 200 degrees (complete with some smoke). He shut down, popped the box, and towed the boat to the nearby launch. When they pulled up, we pulled the impeller and it was chewed up beyond all belief (in case anyone needs a reason to change them every year without fail).

We backflushed from infront of the manifold and flushed the tranny cooler both ways. As a result, we got some of the impeller back. We check the screen on the tranny cooler and put it all back together.

He installed his new impeller/gasket on Friday. When he launched his boat on Saturday, it started, sputtered, and died. Now it cranks, but won't restart. Boat was in neutral. Kill switch was engaged.

It's headed to the dealer, but I was wondering if I could get a preview. Did he fry his engine 2 weeks ago? :confused:

JimN
09-13-2004, 06:58 PM
If it sounds like it cranks over normally, it may be OK. If you guys want to check out some things, do a compression test, check for spark, make sure the lanyard is on and the safety switch works, and do a visual check of the wiring that passes over the motor. If any of the insulation has melted on the ignition harness from the distributor (specifically the purple/white wire) or going to the coolant temp sensor, that could potentially keep it from starting if they short to ground. The coolant temp wires being shorted makes the ECM think the motor is way hot and will go extremely lean, so you won't have as much gas getting into the intake. Pull the flame arrestor to see if gas comes out of the injectors. If it does and you have no spark, change the oil because it now has gas in it. It should be changed anyway, from the overheat. You'll get a chance to look at the oil's color and whether it has any water in it, too. Pull the plugs and check their condition, while you're in there.

G-man
09-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear of all the boat troubles for him this year. Double check the safety lanyard. Push in on the button manually without the clip just to be sure it's working.

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks Jim and George. The safety lanyard was the first thing I checked. It won't crank at all if that thing's pulled, right? I was about two seconds from pulling the flame arrestor in order to furrow my brow at the top of the engine when he decided to just take it to a pro. Wise man. Nothing seemed melted or fouled. Looking down the tailpipes, there doesn't seem to be any warping. He caught this overheat very fast and was right by the dock when it happened. I am constantly suggesting bits and pieces of routine maintenance that might be performed. Apart from regular oil changes, and the tranny fluid change I forced this past spring, I think a lot of it gets forgotten in the mix. For example, I thought he'd gotten a new impeller. As it turns out, this may be the first time it has been changed since 01 at the earliest. :eek:

Methinks, one way or the other, it's time for some new plugs and wires, as well as a new fuel filter for starters.

G-man
09-14-2004, 11:02 AM
When the safety lanyard is not attached guages move but engine doesn't turn over. The other thing could be the neutral safety switch. I have seen people think the boat is in neutral and it's not, boat won't turn over.

JimN
09-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Actually, the gauges shouldn't move, but it should turn over if the lanyard is off. The safety switch is on the purple ignition wire circuit. I agree about the neutral safety switch, though.

G-man
09-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Sorry Jim I get the two confused when I'm not behind the wheel.

JimN
09-14-2004, 03:24 PM
No biggie. Kind of like when I'm a passenger in someone else's car and they ask directions. I don't need to know, I'm not driving!

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 10:28 PM
I checked to see that it was in neutral, too. I'll keep you guys posted.

Splash
03-31-2010, 04:18 PM
sorry to bring this thread back on top.

What was it finally? Any major problem?

Something similar happened to me this afternoon. I overheated and got to aprox 200F . I've stopped inmediately and got towed back to the port. The motor cranks and even turns sometimes but won't restart. I've changed the battery but no sucsess. Tomorrow my mechanic is going to have a look.