PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about stereos

skitilldark
01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
What kind of systems are you guys running?

SteveO
01-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Mine is okay with a JL 6450 and JL 3002 amps with a 10" 10W3 JL Sub and Fusion Tower speakers, but Diesel has the king daddy of systems in his 209. The thing clearly sets the bar http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3189&highlight=diesel

skitilldark
01-17-2006, 06:20 PM
What is he running?

skitilldark
01-17-2006, 06:23 PM
on your system, where did you mount the head unit? In the glovebox?
Also how do you like the tower speakers? Can your riders hear the music without killing the people in the boat?

SteveO
01-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Still,

Check the link in my first post. Love the tower speakers. Can hear them on the water and do fade down the interior so eveyone in the boat doesn't get blasted, but it is still loud. Head unit in the glove box.

prostar205
01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
My new system will mimick Diesels to some degree. He and I have traded emails and he had been very helpfull.

I am starting with the same headunit at Diesel - the Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, that I got off ebay as a factory refurbished unit for $200. Next, I will be installing the Pioneer IPOD box. The amps are Kicker, as suggested by Diesel. I am using the KX series rather than the SX series that Diesel incorporated. The sub is a 12" Kicker L5 powered by a KX600.1 Class D Mono amp. The sub will be in a sealed box similar to Diesels mounted up under the dash. Unlike Diesel, I am not changing out the stock Clarion 1632 speakers. I have 2 sets in the boat and 2 sets up on the tower. I am powering these with a Kicker KX850.4 amp. The wiring is 0 gauge Stinger Pro Series going into Stinger Fused Distribution boxes. I am planning on making an amp rack similar to Diesels and mounting the amps and distribution boxes here. The system will be powered by two blue top Optima batteries with a battery isolator between the engine starting battery and stereo battery.

That's about it.

Grand total for parts and labor: $1,700. Not bad. I know will be replacing all the speakers in about a year after I tear the hell out of them this summer.

jayocheskey
01-18-2006, 12:09 PM
You guys are amazing. I lack the skill and knowledge to complete a task like this solo. I need to 'tap' your brains for some DIY tips on some basic sub info and install.

Already have the JL Audio 6450 which powers the two rear Clarion speaker separates and the tower speakers (Fusion) w/ tower volume control. The Clarion speaker separates in the bow are powered straight from the head unit for a more quiet area in the boat.

I'm looking for a little additional, but high quality bass to add to the sound we have now. It sounds nice, it's just missing the lows to be a complete system. I'm partial to JL Audio equipment, but could be swayed. Any suggestions? Price range - As cheap as possible.

prostar205
01-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Jay -

Talk to MYMC about a free air (infinite baffle) JL 10" sub. He sells them for low to mid $200s. Install that with a JL Audio Class D mono amp in the kick panel at your feet and that should do it.

BTW - I could not have not that without Diesel's help. After getting it explained to me several times, it is not too hard to understand. I am still having a professional setup the system - setup the crossover points and gain levels on the amps.

jayocheskey
01-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Jay -

Talk to MYMC about a free air (infinite baffle) JL 10" sub. He sells them for low to mid $200s. Install that with a JL Audio Class D mono amp in the kick panel at your feet and that should do it.

BTW - I could not have not that without Diesel's help. After getting it explained to me several times, it is not too hard to understand. I am still having a professional setup the system - setup the crossover points and gain levels on the amps.

I appreciate the info. Hey, at least you 'sound' like you know what's going on. I can't even begin to do that.

SteveO
01-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Jay,

Check with Grand Prarie Audio. I found their pricing with the TMC discount to be comparable to the web. I have been very happy with their work and support.

DrNautica
01-19-2006, 10:01 PM
New stereo for Christmas!!!

I got the boys a new system for their MC for Christmas and will be installing it in the next couple months. I'm not up on all the "right stuff" so I hope I did OK. We haven't choosen a head unit yet but I was leaning toward Alpine and it has to have two pre-amp outputs and at least one auxiliary input to direct connect the ipod. Here's a list of what they got. Do you think this will work?

Kicker SX 650.1 mono amp for the sub
Kicker S10L7 sub (to be mounted in a sealed box yet to buy)
Kicker SX 700.4 amp for the remainder of the speakers
Kicker KS 65.2 component speakers (2 pair for the cockpit)
Boss B-50 Tower Speakers with Spektrum component speakers

I want to run the tower speakers off two channels of the 700.4 amp and the 65.2's (all four) off the other two channels. How should I wire this?

How should the S10L7 be wired to the 650.1?

I'm counting on one of you guys in the know to get me pointed in the right direction.

prostar205
01-20-2006, 12:14 AM
I will have a very similar setup to yours.

I am wiring the 4 inside (2 pair) boat component speakers (mine are Clarion 1632s) in parallel to 2 channels of my KX850.4. I am assuming your Kicker 65.2 speakers are 4 ohms and therefore, by wiring them in parallel, the amp should see them as a 2-Ohm load. You did not say how many tower speakers, so I will assume there are 2. This is fairly simple - wire each one to a seperate channel of the SX700.4.

Regarding the sub, it is a dual voice coil sub? What resistance is each voice coil? 2-Ohm or 4-Ohm. I am using the S12L5 Dual 4-Ohm VC and I am wiring it in parallel so the amp see's it as a 2-Ohm load.

Make sure you use good power and ground wiring 2-gauge or 0-gauge along with fused distribution blocks and probably a dual battery setup just for the stereo. Then, another battery for the engine and accessories with an isolator between them. This portion (wiring, batteries and isolator) can get expensive. Plan on around $600 if you go with Optima Blue Top batteries.

Good Luck!!

Ric
01-20-2006, 12:34 AM
running all factory Mastercraft JL speakers
4 satellite seperates and 1 JL 10" sub from mymc
2 alpine 60x2 amps (old school stuff I couldnt bear to throw away)
1 sony 150w mono amp for the sub

the clarion CMD4 deck is a let-down
there isnt a true sub-out yet it will run 5 tv monitors if you'd like :rolleyes:
the clarion will give you different bass filters but not true crossover points and with the way you finagle the rca's to get a sub out signal, you have no fader..... A very fancy deck with very much left to be desired

The factory JL seperates sound fantastic when you power them properly!!

rodltg2
01-20-2006, 02:48 PM
kraco am/fm cassette deck, 4 realistic speakers. audiovox amp with audiovox 8" sub. my system rocks.

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 02:54 PM
kraco am/fm cassette deck, 4 realistic speakers. audiovox amp with audiovox 8" sub. my system rocks.
That setup must have cost an arm and a leg.

skitilldark
01-20-2006, 03:40 PM
That setup must have cost an arm and a leg.

You know, he's smarter than any of us. No maintenance issues or fused voice coils to replace.

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 03:45 PM
You know, he's smarter than any of us. No maintenance issues or fused voice coils to replace.
What's a fused voice coil?

skitilldark
01-20-2006, 03:47 PM
What's a fused voice coil?

Its that little wire circle thingy at the bottom of the speaker. I've melted two of them somehow. Could be the 6000 watts.

jayocheskey
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Its that little wire circle thingy at the bottom of the speaker. I've melted two of them somehow. Could be the 6000 watts.
I guess 6000 watts could melt a lot of stuff.

skitilldark
01-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I guess 6000 watts could melt a lot of stuff.

Especially cheap *** subwoofers.

ntidsl
04-11-2006, 03:27 PM
this is on my 197, so granted didn't want to add much weight as I am skiing the course 90% of the time...
okay here it is...let me know what you think...I am no expert...

Clarion m455 with wired remote
Sirius and ipod hook ups
sirius satellite subscription
kicker 5 channel 700.5
j/l 10" sub mounted in stock location under driver dash
2 pair MB QUART 6.5s with crossovers mounted in stock location

I dont know, but if your systems sounds better than this...holy cow...this will make my ears bleed if I turned it up...the MB QUART speakers are insanely clear...the installer told me if ?I really want to jam out turn them on full range I dont know what that means though...like I said I'm no stereo freak...

my knowledge goes as far as when I wanted a surround system for my home I just went to the Bose store...lol...

so for this, I just went to the car audio store with all the caddys and lincolns in the parking lot...i love when places give a cash discount...lol