PDA

View Full Version : Boat Shows

LakePirate
01-17-2006, 10:49 AM
As I read through the boat show threads and reflect on my past experience this weekend there is a common theme. No ProStar 197. At the Atlanta Boat Show, no direct drive at all. While I was there I spoke to several of the MC reps about why no direct drive and to let them know that my neighbor across the lake is going to trade his Tristar in on a Nautique because MC didn't have a ski boat.

While I was speaking to a MC rep, I inquired as to why no direct drives. He told me it was because this was the first boat show for the new dealer. I accepted that and inquired about any type of swag, and there was none. As I walked into the Nautique display I remembered that the new MC dealer was the old Nautique dealer, and by no means was this his first show.

Then I go and read the other threads on here and the same thing, no 197, no 190. I know we have discussed the 190 issue on here before and I will concede that it is probably not something that is going to get picked up at the boat show, however, the 197 is a different story. Isn't it 5 event rated? Doesn't all of the world record tow boat claims involve the 197?

So is Mastercraft trying to tell us something? Are they following the money and going after the run about business?

On a side note there was not a single ski pro shop with a display. A couple of the marina's had some low end skis for sale but nothing high end, no wet suits, no vests worth having. There were several wakeboard pro shops represented and I think there is a competition for the most absurd binding/boot.

I know that the slalom crowd is a small one in the market, but we are still in the market and have been for many years.

MYMC
01-17-2006, 10:59 AM
I can promise you there will be at least one in the Charlotte show (PS197) and if I hear much more about closed bows I may stock my first PS190 in 5 years.

You're close enough to make the drive...I'll have plenty of MC pro shop stuff and skis! Come on by! It's not all doom and gloom and trust me there are plenty of dealers that still ski...me, Lou in Maryland, Jim @ BAWS just to name 3 off the top of my head.

G-man
01-17-2006, 11:11 AM
It's all about show what you can sell and make the most money on. Boat shows are expensive for the dealer so naturally they want to show what sells. The slalom market is small compared to wakeboard. Wakeboarding has brought a huge amount of money to the inboard boat market. The boat companies before wakeboarding were going in and out of business with a new president every year or two. Now their making money and appear to be stable. IMHO

Jim@BAWS
01-17-2006, 11:11 AM
It is tough for some other dealers to imagine how many 197/x-7/190's
we have SOLD. In 05 we probably SOLD at least 10. In 06 I have SOLD
2 CLOSED bow 190's...Holy Crap Batman !!! 1 of the 190's had a 8.0 Litre in it WHAT AN ANIMAL that boat is ! Waterski Tests here we come.
Don't let your friend not at least try Johnny Crowe and Central WaterSports. Call and make and appointment to see the 197 product. MYMC and BAWS always have a X-7 197 in stock.

Be a GOOD FRIEND...Keep your buddy in a MASTERCRAFT

Jim@BAWS

I can promise you there will be at least one in the Charlotte show (PS197) and if I hear much more about closed bows I may stock my first PS190 in 5 years.

You're close enough to make the drive...I'll have plenty of MC pro shop stuff and skis! Come on by! It's not all doom and gloom and trust me there are plenty of dealers that still ski...me, Lou in Maryland, Jim @ BAWS just to name 3 off the top of my head.

LakePirate
01-17-2006, 11:18 AM
MYMC I appreciate the invite.

Next time I am up that way I will be sure to stop by.

sizzler
01-17-2006, 11:30 AM
diesel prostar at the london show....

jayocheskey
01-17-2006, 11:32 AM
There were 3 Direct drives @ the Fort Worth Boat Show including the PS 197. The X-9 and X-7 were both on display as well. The 197 was a beautiful all Red boat. I'll see if I can find my pics.

erkoehler
01-17-2006, 12:26 PM
There was an X7 and PS 209 at the Chicago Show!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2006, 01:22 PM
diesel prostar at the london show....
I hope you're kidding..... Otherwise it's going to cost me extra to have one shipped back over here!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2006, 01:26 PM
There was an X7 and PS 209 at the Chicago Show!
Right on... I have a relative with a 190 and I am convincing him to get the 209. Not just because our friend has a 205:rolleyes: , but he NEEDS:rolleyes: it.... So to get him in it at the show was phase two.... I'm glad they had it there. If they had the 197, it would have killed my efforts.

milkmania
01-17-2006, 06:03 PM
As I read through the boat show threads and reflect on my past experience this weekend there is a common theme. No ProStar 197. At the Atlanta Boat Show, no direct drive at all. While I was there I spoke to several of the MC reps about why no direct drive and to let them know that my neighbor across the lake is going to trade his Tristar in on a Nautique because MC didn't have a ski boat.

While I was speaking to a MC rep, I inquired as to why no direct drives. He told me it was because this was the first boat show for the new dealer. I accepted that and inquired about any type of swag, and there was none. As I walked into the Nautique display I remembered that the new MC dealer was the old Nautique dealer, and by no means was this his first show.

Then I go and read the other threads on here and the same thing, no 197, no 190. I know we have discussed the 190 issue on here before and I will concede that it is probably not something that is going to get picked up at the boat show, however, the 197 is a different story. Isn't it 5 event rated? Doesn't all of the world record tow boat claims involve the 197?

So is Mastercraft trying to tell us something? Are they following the money and going after the run about business?

On a side note there was not a single ski pro shop with a display. A couple of the marina's had some low end skis for sale but nothing high end, no wet suits, no vests worth having. There were several wakeboard pro shops represented and I think there is a competition for the most absurd binding/boot.

I know that the slalom crowd is a small one in the market, but we are still in the market and have been for many years.

it could be worse..............................
just got invited to this weekend's local boat show.
fishing boats & pontoons only:rolleyes:

no pro shop for wakeboarding or water skiing

I'll probably just save my money and buy a pop or something:mad:

Mag_Red
01-17-2006, 06:37 PM
They had an X9 at the Cincinnati show. Funny thing it wasn't near the X2 or the 245 :confused:

georgea0731
01-17-2006, 06:38 PM
I visited the ATL show on early Friday and thought John & company had a 197 in blue metallic flake on the lift?
The 06 197 is basically the same boat since 03, so may be they figured if someone was a serioius buyer they would have seen or been in one long before the show.
For the record, new dealer has gone out of his way to help me with a personal transportation/storage problem. I wrecked my SUV on 7 Nov and haven't been able to pick up my boat yet! He's offered to deliver it to Fayetteville, GA, but I've declined so far since I still have to get it to the lake 2 1/2 hours away and my Subdivision doesn't like boats in the driveway even if its a MC.
John, has some big plans, like having or forming a local MC club that meets at his place once a month. He mentioned self help clinics and whatever the club shows interest in. He's looking for someone to help lead that effort.
I also met the TMC POC, he truly seems interested in improving this site and customer relations.