PDA

View Full Version : 2006 MC stereo question

c640947
01-16-2006, 07:39 PM
I am finalizing my order for a 2006 X2 tomorrow and I have not been able to get confirmation on if the Clarion deck that is an option plays CDs with mp3 files on it. The 2005 deck would not play them, but I was told the 2006 should. I don't wanna order it if it won't play them. Does anyone know or is there anyone who got their 2006 that has tested it out?
Thanks in advance.

rodltg2
01-16-2006, 07:42 PM
i would not order the deck and get one that has ipod and sirius controls. not just the hook up , but one you can control them from the deck.

mitch
01-16-2006, 07:48 PM
I would skip ordering the stereo thru MC and hook w/ a local stereo shop and get something better for the same $$.

Jim@BAWS
01-16-2006, 08:08 PM
The NEW JL Audio system is AWESOME. Clarion Head w/ JL Seperates. You can go to your LOCAL stereo shop and purchase a stereo but it will not be what the FACTORY system is Retail on the system as $1500 less what ever disc you get from your local dealer. There is a MP# input
jack avail that is on the drivers console below the throttle. I cannot remember what it is retail. We have had about 5-6 boats ordered with it. Seems pretty popular. Consider getting a SUB Also. Tower Speakers are $1770 MSRP for a set. That incudes factory install of wiring, extra amp, the tower speaker cannisters.

ENJOY your system. you won't regret it

Jim@BAWS

PendO
01-16-2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2005/marine/source_units/CMD4/us-en-product-pf_1132804244479.html

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2005/marine/source_units/CMD4/us-en-product-sc_1132804244479.html

The unit that you are talking about is the CMD4 ... it is what I got in my 06 197.

Here is a link to the product manual *.pdf (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/953/241/CMD4(Manual).pdf)

Mine is in storage ... I do not know if it plays CD's with MP3's ... but I did get the MP3 input jack that allow you to plug in your MP3 player over by the throttle.

Casey

The factory system is fine, just check that all your speakers work before you take the boat home ... 1 of my 4 did not work, but the other 3 and the sub worked fine.

rodltg2
01-16-2006, 08:48 PM
one thing i really miss is havong the stereo at the helm. the wired remote is just not enough. why do they put it in the glove box?

baedriver
01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I ended up getting the sub and amp through MC for my 197 and i thought the sound quality was excellent and that the sub hit plenty hard for what i am going to do.

my old boat had the stereo at the helm and i don't really miss not having it there yet but also haven't taken delivery yet but i don't think it will bother me.

c640947
01-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Odd .....the manual says nothing about what kind of files it will play on a CD.

Anybody have access to one to try it out?

If I was to get a different head unit, what about the remotes? Would they work with any head unit capable of supporting remotes or would I have to delete all the remotes from my order too?

djhuff
01-17-2006, 08:49 AM
I ordered mine with everything except the head unit and the sub amp (we think) I like the JL amps and speakers, but wanted my sub amp to have a little more umph, and I'll probably end up adding 1-2 more subs anyway. For the credit I got for the head unit, I can get something pretty nice aftermarket.

The remote won't work with any other unit, but most other brands have remotes. Get the MP3 input though, it's just a wire from the driver's side over to the head unit location. With no head unit, it just gets left hanging there and it's much easier for the factory to do it then for you to try and fish it yourself.

Byrdman
01-17-2006, 10:14 AM
I have the Clarion and it does play my cd's that I make with my computer, and it is the 2005.

MYMC
01-17-2006, 10:35 AM
You can order the boat with the JL Audio stuff installed and delete the head unit. The take the boat and have a Sony or other installed that has a marine remote...with the functions you desire.

Ric
01-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Odd .....the manual says nothing about what kind of files it will play on a CD.

Anybody have access to one to try it out?

If I was to get a different head unit, what about the remotes? Would they work with any head unit capable of supporting remotes or would I have to delete all the remotes from my order too?
does darryl moores have a 2006 boat that you can go put an mp3 disk into and see?
I dont have any idea if I have any mp3 disks to try and mine is an 05 which I believe is different than pendo's 06. Sorry, that's not really an answer but more of a suggestion!!

c640947
01-17-2006, 11:55 PM
I found the specs for the head unit on crutchfield -

Mastercraft 2006 head units will not play mp3 CDs. This is the biggest load of crap - that head unit retails for ~$350 and it doesnt even freakin play mp3s!

So I did stereo delete and will put in my head unit..........which means I also have to put in my own remotes........

In addition to adding the exta ballast myself......

Its gonna be tough to be that patient when it arrives to put all that stuff in there.....

Thanks for your help everyone.

Diesel
01-18-2006, 05:14 PM
I found the specs for the head unit on crutchfield -

Mastercraft 2006 head units will not play mp3 CDs. This is the biggest load of crap - that head unit retails for ~$350 and it doesnt even freakin play mp3s!

So I did stereo delete and will put in my head unit..........which means I also have to put in my own remotes........

In addition to adding the exta ballast myself......

Its gonna be tough to be that patient when it arrives to put all that stuff in there.....

Thanks for your help everyone.

You did the right thing, the Clarion stuff is junk and I have no idea why MC continues to use it considering how expensive it has become :confused:. I guess most owners just want tunes every now and then and the Clarion stuff is simple to operate and gets the job done. Marketing for the masses........

FYI since you did not order the head unit it will not be prewired from the factory. You will have to run ground, acc, and power to the stereo location. When I did mine I was some what upset since it is only 3 wires and a plug (modular harness) and would not have been that much trouble when assembling the boat. In the end it really did not matter since I have added couple a dozen various patch cables from the passenger side to the driver's side...............what's three more anyway :D.

skitilldark
01-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah I agree with you about the head unit. I had one in a 99 190 and I didn't like it. So for my new X-9 I put in all Kenwood amps (5 of them) with a Pioneer head unit, two Kenwood remotes at the throttle and on rear transom, a 10 disc changer under the dash, two tower speakers, a 10" sub up front and a 12" in the rear, and 8 pioneer 8" duals throughout the rest of the boat. I like it a lot better.

c640947
01-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Diesel - were the speakers wired? That would really suck if they weren't.

What about the warranty? Does installing an aftermarket stereo void any sort of electrical warranty?

MYMC
01-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Yes, the speakers are wired and no it doesn't void the warranty.