PDA

View Full Version : Schools to lower heat!

erkoehler
01-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Just heard on the news that there are many schools who will be lowering there thermostats to 62 degrees! :eek: Officals are urging kids to wear sweatshirts and sweaters. :mad:

How the hell are you supposed to learn in an environment where you are freezing your arse off :confused:

BriEOD
01-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Move south.

BTW, I had a professor who used to crank the A/C because he said it kept people awake.

erkoehler
01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I don't even keep the A/C that low in the summer...

BriEOD
01-16-2006, 09:29 PM
I hope not! :eek: I can't imagine what your electric bill would be.

erkoehler
01-16-2006, 09:58 PM
62 is cold, especially when they finally kick the A/C on it is usually at about 76/78 degrees.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2006, 10:05 PM
I can see 65, but 62 is pretty cool. Maybe they should just turn it off and wear indoor what they wear outside. Then, they could give the excess of funds back to the community......

Sodar
01-17-2006, 01:07 AM
BTW, I had a professor who used to crank the A/C because he said it kept people awake.

I had the unfortunate privildege of going to an all boys catholic high school. My first period teacher (a priest) believed in this same philosophy. IT WAS HORRIBLE!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2006, 08:46 AM
My previous comment was sarcastic, I forgot the smilie....:rolleyes:

djhuff
01-17-2006, 10:56 AM
We never cut the heat down in the winter, but we saved money in the summer by not having A/C. Those were some miserable years. Get up out of your seat and your stuck to the chair.

Ric
01-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Just heard on the news that there are many schools who will be lowering there thermostats to 62 degrees! :eek: Officals are urging kids to wear sweatshirts and sweaters. :mad:

How the hell are you supposed to learn in an environment where you are freezing your arse off :confused:

The lesson here erk is to toughen up. There are no guaranteed heated rooms out there waiting for you(well there are a few but you don't really want to go to them). Get the info and get the hell out of that institution as soon as you can!!!

loeweb
01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Here's one from the teacher. Our school is pretty lucky that we don't worry about heating bills like that. Kids still complain when the gym temp is hot or cold. They should gradually lower the temp and not tell anyone. let the kids figure it out for themselves. Eventually they will wear warmer clothes, and all will be good. Although, 62 is friggin freezing and a little extreme in my eyes.

LakePirate
01-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Eric you have opened the flood gates on this one partner.

I am in complete agreement with you. That is way too cold to have a classroom.

Now for issues we have here in the South; the great state of Georgia has school systems that start back in July. That is correct ladies and gentlemen I said July.
They are air conditioning the schools during the hottest month (August) so students can have short breaks throughout the year. Then they want to talk about how they are going to have to cut back on teachers/programs/supplies because they can't afford them in the budget. Let's see cooling a school when it is 100+ degrees outside and a "fall break" or having additional teachers and resources? Well that one is pretty easy.

How do these clowns get to be in charge of education?

Ryan
01-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Did anyone see Stupid in America on 20/20 last week? It sure made me leary about ever moving to South Carolina. Great points though.

Link with video (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=1491217)

I just want to know if those edumacated kids from Belgium took the internashunnel test in English as a secont language or weather they taked it in Belgiumeze. I'm a product of public education, lckily what I received was substatially better than what was on the show.

BriEOD
01-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I had the unfortunate privildege of going to an all boys catholic high school.
Did that all the way through 8th grade and then begged my parents to put me in public school because the football team was better. Looking back, I wish I would have stayed. I think the education is better and when you have to pay it weeds out some of the rift-raft.

School Skier
01-17-2006, 06:56 PM
The State of Wisconsin says are Schools heat setting should be at 68 degrees, in the district where I work management has told us to have the class rooms set at 70 degrees and not a degree more. We also start our heating equipment at later times and turn them off sooner to save on heat and electricty.
We have been lucky so far with the warm winter we've been having!

erkoehler
01-17-2006, 07:00 PM
The State of Wisconsin says are Schools heat setting should be at 68 degrees, in the district where I work management has told us to have the class rooms set at 70 degrees and not a degree more. We also start our heating equipment at later times and turn them off sooner to save on heat and electricty.
We have been lucky so far with the warm winter we've been having!

The schools around here also turn off the majority of the heat during the weekends, or drop it WAY low.....Monday mornings were always bitterly cold.

School Skier
01-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Night and weekend settings are at 65 degrees. At that temp. it doesn't take as long to warm up.

JEREMY79
01-17-2006, 07:04 PM
tuffen up erk!! :rolleyes:

I keep my house 65 in the winter. Feels dam warm when it is 25 outside

School Skier
01-17-2006, 07:10 PM
I keep my house at 65 when we are not at home and 68 when we are home!

erkoehler
01-17-2006, 07:10 PM
tuffen up erk!! :rolleyes:

I keep my house 65 in the winter. Feels dam warm when it is 25 outside

We usually have the heat on in my house around 65-67, but 62!!!! thats chilly....think about it this way, would you ski in a life jacket and trunks? NO! So, kids shouldn't have to sit still for 6 hours in a classroom with 62 degree temperatures.

JEREMY79
01-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Are they sitting in life jacket and trunks, NO. Wear some clothes
I guess I am biased and anybody that works outside, we are out here even when it is 0

MarkP
01-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Are they sitting in life jacket and trunks, NO. Wear some clothes
I guess I am biased and anybody that works outside, we are out here even when it is 0How often IS that Jeremy;)

JEREMY79
01-17-2006, 09:02 PM
very rarely but it happens :rolleyes:

Ric
01-18-2006, 02:04 AM
my house was 66 degrees inside when I returned home tonight erk
I turned on the heater!!!

erkoehler
01-18-2006, 05:22 AM
my house was 66 degrees inside when I returned home tonight erk
I turned on the heater!!!

Hope you got it up to atleast 75 now!

Just to clarify, in my house, we usually keep the heat between 67-69 degrees. I would rather be alittle chilled than sweating my arse off. I can't sleep well when its warm anyways. ;)

Leroy
01-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Spending two years in Belgium, their education system is much stronger and people take education very seriously. Almost without exception every kid worked very hard, and parents pushed very hard for them to make it in IB program. Everyone in northern half of Belgium is fluent in 4 languages, Flemish, French, German, and English.

The lower grades have more recess and fun and it keeps getting harder until the end of high school. Our schools seem to push hard in earlier grades and slow down until the senior year is typically lazy year. Our grade school child came back way behind, our two high school kids came back thinking this it is so easy now.

Their arrogance on air was very surprising for a Belgium.....

Did anyone see Stupid in America on 20/20 last week? It sure made me leary about ever moving to South Carolina. Great points though.

Link with video (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=1491217)

I just want to know if those edumacated kids from Belgium took the internashunnel test in English as a secont language or weather they taked it in Belgiumeze. I'm a product of public education, lckily what I received was substatially better than what was on the show.