PDA

View Full Version : Intel Processors

stevo137
01-16-2006, 04:16 PM
It's time to buy the kids a new puter. I get a corporate deal with Dell but this offering only seems to include the Celeron D processor.
Can anyone based on experience or first hand knowledge give me some input and or opinion regarding this Celeron vs Pentium?

The one that I'm looking at:
Dimension B110
Celeron D processor, 2.66 GHz
XP Home Edition
512 MB DDR SDRAM
15" analog flat panel
80 GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive
CD or DVD drive? I would think that DVD is the way to go, that's what I have on my notebook but it does not seem to read some "R" CD's

Total price: $488.00

What do you think of the price vs any other than Dell?
I currently have an older Dell Demension and newer Latitude notebook for work.
My son is into the online games and needs good graphics and he also has recently started a website for musicians and would like to learn more about web design.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

ski_king
01-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Dosn't look too bad, my kids have a simular one.
Some of the video games need a better video card than the standard on board one and will not work on their computer. You may want to go up a level to get a better video card upgrade.

bcampbe7
01-16-2006, 04:37 PM
What are your kids using the PC for Steve?

stevo137
01-16-2006, 06:31 PM
My daughter mainly uses it to do school work, MS Word, Power Point etc. and My son does online gaming and such.
I think that this is a better option at this point:
E310 Pentium 4 with DVD-CD burner, 17" flat screen, and about the same ram and hard drive, but a much better unit, $537.00
The B110 is a very basic unit and you cannot upgrade the video card.

east tx skier
01-16-2006, 09:23 PM
That's basically the compaq I'm using right now. Of course, I bought it in late 2003. It's been a great computer. But I don't do much gaming on the PC. The graphics card might limit you so make sure it meets the standards your kids will nee for their games. Also, spend a little extra and beef up the RAM. I think the new Dells are running up to 4 Gigs (1 gig per slot). I'd go at least a gig, if not two.

Mine will only hold 1 gig, and I'm running 750 mbs.

Oh yeah, and DVD burner all the way.

Dell really ropes you in with those low prices, but they go up quick when you upgrade. If you can DIY the memory, buy it elsewhere and install yourself.

stevo137
01-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Doug, hear about the roping in but this is a corporate deal and they can't change or upgrade the offer.
I'm going to take some time on this one. They even called me back tonight to try and close the deal.
I'm still thinking that for $538.00 for an E310 with everything that they are offering is a good deal and of course, it's a "managers special" only good today.... :rolleyes:

Leroy
01-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Steve; Maybe Alienware, heard of them? Sure your son has!

Aurora™ 7500

Advantage

AMD FX-60 : Fastest Gaming Processor
AMD Dual Core Processors
Dual GeForce 7800 GTX
SLI Multi-GPU Technology
Standard Features

nForce 4 SLI AMD Motherboard
PCI-Express Technology
Was: $8,521.00
$8,421.00 as low as $256/mo.* (http://www.alienware.com/sub_pages/financing_info.aspx)
After $100 mail-in rebate.

Seriously I think you are on a good system. I'm looking at something similar soon. Costco had a little better for $599. Is this a laptop or desktop?

mitch
01-16-2006, 11:55 PM
E310 looks like the easy winner.

stevo137
01-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Steve; Maybe Alienware, heard of them? Sure your son has!

Aurora™ 7500

Advantage

AMD FX-60 : Fastest Gaming Processor
AMD Dual Core Processors
Dual GeForce 7800 GTX
SLI Multi-GPU Technology
Standard Features

nForce 4 SLI AMD Motherboard
PCI-Express Technology
Was: $8,521.00
$8,421.00 as low as $256/mo.* (http://www.alienware.com/sub_pages/financing_info.aspx)
After $100 mail-in rebate.

Seriously I think you are on a good system. I'm looking at something similar soon. Costco had a little better for $599. Is this a laptop or desktop?
You got that right Leroy! He's becomming kind of a techno-geek!
Desktop, I think that the E310 is a good package deal but I'm doing some shopping first. Then Dell tells me that it's a today only managers special. Oh well, that was yesterdays, let's see what todays managers special is...

ski_king
01-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I am thinking of maybe buying this computer. At this time I dont have a laptop and the price seem sright on this one. What to you guys think?

Inspiron 1300
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 360 (1.40 GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

Unit Price: $674
- $150
SYSTEM OPTIONS

Inspiron 1300 Intel® Celeron® M Processor 360 (1.40 GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
Operating System Backup & Recovery Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition backup CD
LCD Panel 15.4in WXGA Display
Memory Free Upgrade!!512MB Shared DDR SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
Hard Drive 40GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
External Hard Drive None edit
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Graphics Card Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 900 Graphics
Primary Battery 4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (29 WHr)
Spare Power Adapter None
Wireless Networking Cards Dell 1370 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps)

On top of that next day shipping is around $30, Total price is around $545 (plus tax)
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=04&kc=06351&oc=S80104g&x=11&y=6

Leroy
01-28-2006, 11:31 AM
ski_king; this machine sounds pretty good if you want a basic email, internet, office/home machine.

The 40G will be burned up quickly if you do much with video. Will you want to work with Word/Excel documents, MS works is $49 at BB I think, maybe get that installed.

I think I'll end up getting similar machine with MS Works for my wife.

ski_king
01-28-2006, 11:45 AM
ski_king; this machine sounds pretty good if you want a basic email, internet, office/home machine.

The 40G will be burned up quickly if you do much with video. Will you want to work with Word/Excel documents, MS works is $49 at BB I think, maybe get that installed.

I think I'll end up getting similar machine with MS Works for my wife.
Yes, to be used as a basic computer. I have a hig end desktop fpr cad, gaming, etc. and a cheaper desktop, but with 2 kids in high school, they are usually tied up most of the time and this leaves me computerless.
I will by MS Works and virus protection seperate (or find some way to get it on the computer)

Now for a seperate question, my daughter will be starting college this fall.
Desktop vs laptop.
Laptop would seem to be the choice, except it is much more likley to be stolen or lost and is easier to break.