PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass/Paint References

richardsoncd
01-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know of any good books or references for instruction on painting, and fiberglass work for boats? I want to eventually sand off my existing S&S glitterstripe and reapply it but have no idea what I am doing. My local shop wanted $5000 for just the stripe, no decals and not the rest of the boat. I have a good garage/shop to do it in, but don't know where to begin or end for that matter. Thanks.

TMCNo1
01-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know of any good books or references for instruction on painting, and fiberglass work for boats? I want to eventually sand off my existing S&S glitterstripe and reapply it but have no idea what I am doing. My local shop wanted $5000 for just the stripe, no decals and not the rest of the boat. I have a good garage/shop to do it in, but don't know where to begin or end for that matter. Thanks.
check your pm, i sent you one.....hope it helps......later

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Is it a secret???

TMCNo1
01-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Sorry everyone, but i don't feel comfortable giving out e-mail addresses, phone nos, and names on threads and replys. if richardsoncd researches the info i gave him and he finds it to be factual, the he can reply and disclose what he found out concerning his own thread and share it accordingly.

JEREMY79
01-17-2006, 09:29 PM
I want to eventually sand off my existing S&S glitterstripe and reapply it but have no idea what I am doing. Thanks.
I sure hope you know what you are getting into. It aint no Sunday stroll in the park

Matt L.
01-18-2006, 01:12 AM
http://fiberglass-repair.com/

Lots of good info. I haven't bought his DVDs yet, but I will if I get in any deeper. I had a guy show me basic gel coat repair/refurbishing. It is alot easier than you think. It is mostly elbow grease stuff. I'm not familiar with the glitter stripe situation, but make sure you don't just need to wet sand and rub it out. Do a test patch. 1000 grit wet sand, 3M Perfect it III rubbing compound and then swirl mark remover, then wax, Wash between steps. If all you have is external surface fading / oxidation, the wet sanding might do it.

Good luck!

Matt

PS Wish I had a shop to do it in, I'd do much more to my boat!

richardsoncd
01-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks Matt,

I'll check it out, can't wet sand though....there is no gelcoat left on the glitter stripe, I would just be sanding the metaflake off.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-18-2006, 11:42 AM
How about a clear coat over what is there?

richardsoncd
01-18-2006, 01:50 PM
If I am going to do any clear/gel coating, I really want to go all out and make it awesome....probably a product of looking at Jeremy's 79 and drooling throughout the day. :D

Matt L.
01-18-2006, 03:40 PM
My buddy that used to do it for a living has shot a lot of metal flake. He said they shot the base color then blew the dry flake on the still wet stripe. He said it always looked like s.. errr terrible until they hit it with the clear gel and wet sanded it out. Only then did it look good. Sounds like the entire stripe has to be shot at once, so you've got to have everything totally ready to go. Because gel is catalyzed once you start the clock is ticking. If the DVD's don't cover metal flake restoration, call and/or email the guy a fiberglass-repair.com. I spoke to him a couple of times. He was real helpful.

I like the idea of roughing the stripe up and just shooting it with clear.

Do all of the other gel repairs prior to trying to shoot the stripe. I completely re-gelled the nose on mine. It was chipped completely through in 10 places due to the prior owner not knowing how to trailer it properly. I filled and fared the area to the right profile and shot it with gel, feathering it back on the stripe. After wet sanding it and buffing it out, the feathed area sanded and buffed so thin that it blended the old gel and new to virtually no breakmark.

If I were shooting metal flake, I'd get a fiberglass scrap and pratice on it until I got it perfect before trying it on my boat. Of course if you mess up with gel all you have to do is sand it down and try again. It's all about elbow grease not much on talent like shooting paint.

Matt

JEREMY79
01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
You can do it yourself. If you need some help PM me and I will do what I can.

Sodar
01-25-2006, 09:13 PM
I just pulled my fenders off the trailer and took them to the fiberglass guy to have all the stress cracks fixed. The guy said fixing the stress cracks and matching the gelcoat as close as possible would be no problem for $285. Here is the issue though, he said that since the surrounding gelcoat is old, that matching the repairs will be difficult. So he gave me two options... Either re-gelcoat both fenders for $200(+$285 for the fix) or just take them to the painter and have them painted with the trailer.

What do you guys think I should do?
Has anyone ever painted fiberglass with autopaint?
Do I need to do any special prep prior to the painting?
Is painted fiberglass as durable as gelcoat, or will I experience chipping and peeling?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

stevo137
01-25-2006, 09:37 PM
I sure hope you know what you are getting into. It aint no Sunday stroll in the park
This is a man that knows. You should see the work that he did to his 79 S&S. You need to see it in person to really appreciate it.
Awesome job!

JEREMY79
01-25-2006, 09:53 PM
What do you guys think I should do?Your Call
Has anyone ever painted fiberglass with autopaint? Yes, alot of auto parts are fiberglass
Do I need to do any special prep prior to the painting? Yes, adhesion promoter, correct filler, ect.
Is painted fiberglass as durable as gelcoat, or will I experience chipping and peeling?No, Gelcoat is tough as rocks. If you are careful you will be fine for a while. Rock chips on trailers are normal

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thats all I got, PM if you still need help

richardsoncd
01-26-2006, 12:20 AM
I don't think I am really going to mess with it this winter. Too many other "projects" which is why I was looking for references...so I will use the best one yall gave me which was Jeremy.