PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use bare??

baedriver
01-16-2006, 12:14 AM
I might purchase a drysuit and was looking at the bare the all black baggy suit and was wondering if anyone has had experience with these drysuits? Thanks in advance

erkoehler
01-16-2006, 12:18 AM
I use a barefoot international baggy style drysuit. You can find some great deals on www.barefootcentral.com

sizzler
01-16-2006, 02:58 AM
i use a "baggy" style one.....have done for about 15 yrs.......

these are my choice....

www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk

:)

jkski
01-16-2006, 07:04 AM
I've got one BARE suit and one BF Intl. and like them both. The BARE is a bit lighter in terms of the thickness in material and you would not want to barefoot in it, but for everything else it is great. Just make sure to keep the seals treated, and it helps to store it in a sealed plastic bag when not in use...also, keep it out of the sun as much as possible. (the seals will dry out much quicker).

bigmac
01-16-2006, 08:06 AM
I've got one BARE suit and one BF Intl. and like them both. The BARE is a bit lighter in terms of the thickness in material and you would not want to barefoot in it, but for everything else it is great. Just make sure to keep the seals treated, and it helps to store it in a sealed plastic bag when not in use...also, keep it out of the sun as much as possible. (the seals will dry out much quicker).

It's important to keep the seals treated so they don't crack and leak, although the manufacturers will replace them if necessary and they tell me that doesn't cost that much. Seals can be treated with 303 Protectant - I just spray mine down when I'm done using the suit for the day.

The BFI suit is quite robust and very flexible, even though the suit material is thicker than the usual suit. It really is a well-made suit and the price from Barefoot Central really makes it an excellent value. Its wrist and ankle seals are thicker-than-usual latex, therefore less stretchy. I have no doubt they'll stand up better to years of use, but they are noticeably harder to get on and off. The other aspect to that suit is wrist and ankle cuffs of neoprene that come down over the seals to protect them. Nice for barefooting, I'm guessing, but they're a little cumbersome for getting feet into bindings and for wearing with with winter gloves like the Chokos.

I initially tried to cheap out and started with that $200 baggy suit from Overton's. Definitely a couple of steps down in terms of seams and material, and I gave up after sending two of them back because of leaks along the seams.

areamike
01-17-2006, 07:26 PM
I just got this Drysuit
http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=267
I'll be mostly using it for barefooting. I'll more than likely be trying it out this weekend, and be able to give some feedback. It's very similar to the BI Drysuit, but a little less bulky. Still very rigorous materials though.

I think your purchase of a drysuit should first depend on what type of watersports you primarily perform.

AirJunky
01-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Made in the same Oregon factory as USIA, OS, Wiley's & Adrenaline's. Great suit. I believe their recommending no seal treatment at all now days. Do yourself a favor & get one with a little color in it. The black ones don't show up well at all in a photo.

mitch
01-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Made in the same Oregon factory as USIA, OS, Wiley's & Adrenaline's. Great suit. I believe their recommending no seal treatment at all now days. Do yourself a favor & get one with a little color in it. The black ones don't show up well at all in a photo.

How about treating the zipper? I was thinking about mine the other day. I had adrenaline put new wrist seals in this spring. So do nothing to the seals is the recommendation? Thanks!
/sorry for the jack.... Re: Bare, I have their chill guard and it's held up well. Had to add something :)

Tom023
01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I use a barefoot international baggy style drysuit. You can find some great deals on www.barefootcentral.com

That is the worst home page I've ever seen! All that motion and the fonts make you dizzy and just beg you to exit fast!

bigmac
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
That is the worst home page I've ever seen! All that motion and the fonts make you dizzy and just beg you to exit fast!Agreed, but their prices are very good and they are really nice people to deal with.

MarkP
01-17-2006, 08:44 PM
I might purchase a drysuit and was looking at the bare the all black baggy suit and was wondering if anyone has had experience with these drysuits? Thanks in advance
I use a Bare Ultra and like it a lot.. I got a good price by calling Grizzly sports.. http://www.grizzly-sports.com/

bigmac
How about treating the zipper? I was thinking about mine the other day. I had adrenaline put new wrist seals in this spring. So do nothing to the seals is the recommendation? Thanks!
/sorry for the jack.... Re: Bare, I have their chill guard and it's held up well. Had to add something :)

Bee's Wax for the zipper works well. I've seen it in little tubes like ChapStick. BTW, they recommend storing the suit with the zipper open so the zipper seals don't take a set. As to the seals, the same vinyl protectant you use on your boat's seats should work well to prevent premature detioration..AND... it will also keep your seals from turning pink!!

Tom023
I don't doubt that at all and realize many smaller businesses create their own web presence. I will certainly shop there if/when I'm looking for something.

areamike
01-17-2006, 09:32 PM
That is the worst home page I've ever seen! All that motion and the fonts make you dizzy and just beg you to exit fast!

Ditto...Not the best/well organized/looking Barefoot wesbite, HOWEVER, they have some of the best people running it and thier Store. Chuck and Michelle Gleason, great people.

I need to hit Chuck up and maybe help him out with some of his web design. He does all of the website himself...
sorry for the thread-jack...back to drysuits...

WAX for the zipper
http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=114
ALSO, the best wax is Paraffin Wax. Never use Oil based lubricants or silicone spray. They can damage the zipper material.

Seal Saver
http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=113

mitch
01-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys!