PDA

View Full Version : Butcher block countertop - satin or gloss?

mitch
01-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey all! Buddy is sanding and refinishing a butcher block countertop (island) and we were discussing oil based poly-> satin or gloss??? He will not be cutting directly on it, just looking for durablity and looks. Gloss might be a bit much for that application? Ideas/opinions? Thanks for any help!!

André
01-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Definetely not glossy.
Why will he not use it for what it is design for?
I wouldn't varnish a butcher block,maybe oil would do a nice job.(Just like teak...lol)

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I would use regular old mineral oil. I use that on cutting boards that I make and it wears very well, looks good, is non toxic and is easy to reapply when needed.

jake
01-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Assuming it is maple, I'd use a lacquer or something else that won't yellow over time. Some of the newer water based poly finishes say they don't yellow, but I don't have much experience with them. A high quality lacquer is your best bet (we use hershfields magnalacq quite often with good results). You might also try some of the hardwood floor finishes that have UV protection built in to prevent the natural patina process if you want to keep that bright white, just finished, maple look.

You can use oil if you want to use it for food prep etc, but I don't recommend it. I have a butcher block island and they are really tough to keep looking nice if you use it to cut on etc. Not that much more work to just put a cutting board down.

M-Funf
01-16-2006, 12:30 PM
I built a butcher block table for my wife last year. I purchased the top, but built the rest using hard rock maple. I would recommend that you use "Good Stuff" maple finish. It's a synthetic oil, and it's FDA approved for food contact. It looks great, goes on easy, and doesn't smell so you can re-apply in the house.

Good Stuff (http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/main/236)

sassydog
01-16-2006, 06:03 PM
I would use regular old mineral oil. I use that on cutting boards that I make and it wears very well, looks good, is non toxic and is easy to reapply when needed.

mineral oil work well, but be careful not to use too much. it will act as a great laxative, if too many coats are applied. also make sure your countertops can be easily removed from the caninets, when the time comes to resand all the cuts and gouges off, it'll be a good idea to remove the counter and sand in the garage. oh and i prefer satin

mitch
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
mineral oil work well, but be careful not to use too much. it will act as a great laxative, if too many coats are applied. also make sure your countertops can be easily removed from the caninets, when the time comes to resand all the cuts and gouges off, it'll be a good idea to remove the counter and sand in the garage. oh and i prefer satin

He's decided he's not interested in oil, so it will be oil based poly. Thanks!