PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to hear about your flooded lakes!!!

milkmania
01-15-2006, 04:20 PM
This is a lake within 15 minutes of us..... a homeowner estimates it's down 15 to 18 feet from normal

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF4970.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF4968.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF4975.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF4972.jpg

milkmania
01-15-2006, 04:21 PM
here's another:eek:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF4971.jpg

jayderwin1
01-15-2006, 04:28 PM
where is this lake and is it a private lake?

Farmer Ted
01-15-2006, 04:37 PM
man that sucks, that will take forever to fill up

milkmania
01-15-2006, 04:43 PM
It is not a private lake, it is Sugarloaf lake in western Arkansas...

small lake, but good for a quick run.

The homeowner claims that Game & Fish Commission "forgot" they were releasing water:rolleyes:

I saw several pontoons on the far side sitting on the ground still moored to their docks

Tom023
01-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Got some around here that are down like that too. Good opportunity to go out and cut down the timber that was left standing and pull some stumps.

milkmania
01-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Got some around here that are down like that too. Good opportunity to go out and cut down the timber that was left standing and pull some stumps.

according to the homeowner, it is illegal to cut the trees ( I offered).

the claim is it's fish habitat

but, I am going to contact an official to verify, because it would be an excellent to perform some maintenance:cool:

Tom023
01-15-2006, 04:48 PM
How about removing the old tire from the log in the second picture? That's probably illegal too, but I guess they think it's ok to hit one of those submerged tree tops just below the surface. The standing timber really bugs me in the lake I go to. You can be in 60 feet of water and suddenly see the tip of a tree you never knew was there.

milkmania
01-15-2006, 05:13 PM
How about removing the old tire from the log in the second picture? That's probably illegal too, but I guess they think it's ok to hit one of those submerged tree tops just below the surface. The standing timber really bugs me in the lake I go to. You can be in 60 feet of water and suddenly see the tip of a tree you never knew was there.

that's the way Lake Tenkiller was last year...they claim to be approaching 14 feet lower than normal also.

check this out.....Bucky and I appear to be in the D4 location:(

erkoehler
01-15-2006, 05:25 PM
WOW, that has to absolutely suck, especially if you live on the lake!!!

6ballsisall
01-15-2006, 08:02 PM
That really blows!! Sorry to hear it Milk. HOpe you find some good riding water around your parts of the world!!!

milkmania
01-15-2006, 08:21 PM
I've got an email in to the director of Arkansas Game & Fish Commission.....

we'll see how it goes:(

Workin' 4 Toys
01-15-2006, 09:23 PM
That second pic looks like their trimmed down to prop height with normal water level. That would suck to jump in the water there.....

erkoehler
01-15-2006, 09:58 PM
I've got an email in to the director of Arkansas Game & Fish Commission.....

we'll see how it goes:(

Sounds like you need to bust out the chainsaw and do some night ops! I know thats what I would do if it was my lake....

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Man, that would suck hitting one of those stumps if you fell. :eek: Never mind the prop, how bout your head!! or legs. scary!!! Those look quite close to the surface of the lake from what I can see in the pics. spoooooooky!!

pilot02
01-16-2006, 06:47 PM
according to the homeowner, it is illegal to cut the trees ( I offered).

the claim is it's fish habitat

but, I am going to contact an official to verify, because it would be an excellent to perform some maintenance:cool:

Are there any fish left? Sure doesn't look to me like the fish are getting much use out of the "habitat!" :confused:

mplv
01-16-2006, 07:45 PM
how much are the mud front lots going for?

rodltg2
01-16-2006, 07:49 PM
our rivers our parctically flooding over here and the lake up the street doent have enough water to launch. seems funny but i guess there keeping it low for the snow melt.

erkoehler
01-16-2006, 08:21 PM
our rivers our parctically flooding over here and the lake up the street doent have enough water to launch. seems funny but i guess there keeping it low for the snow melt.

Wish there was some snow here to melt.....

shepherd
01-16-2006, 11:42 PM
We had that same problem in Central Florida about 5 years ago. Lots of boat houses left high and dry. Now the lakes are full again. Don't worry, yours will come back up too... It just may take a year or two... :rolleyes:

SKI*MC
01-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Lake Nakomis has this problem every year. That looks worse though...

milkmania
01-27-2006, 12:15 AM
well, I guess that's that:(

Mr. *******,

We drew Sugar Loaf Lake down 8 feet below normal to facilitate the spreading of agricultural limestone along the shoreline. We have been fertilizing Sugar Loaf annually since 1976 and after a period of years the water becomes slightly acidic which often prevents the fertilizer from giving us the results we desire. The lake has never been limed and the lime acts much like it does in a pasture or garden bringing the pH to a more neutral 7.0, which is more desirable for plant and fish production.

We trimmed a lot of trees in the lake last fall and we put up plastic pipe(screwed to stumps) to mark the boat lane down the middle of the lake. If the trees are 10-12 feet tall then they would be 2-4 feet out of the water at normal water level which are easily seen by boaters, the trees we cut were just under normal water water or 1-3 feet under and/or were large stumps. The smaller trees were left as they pose less of a problem to boaters. Most people know to slow down while navigating the upper 1/2 of the lake and creating a hazardous wake is a violation of State law.

I am very aware of Sugar Loaf Lake having worked on it for 30 years and it is against the law to cut trees in the lake that is our responsibility. The drain was not left open an extra week, the low water condition is due to a lack of rainfall. This portion of Arkansas was anywhere from 12-15 inches below normal rainfall in 2005.

If you have a particular tree that you think is a problem mark it with paint or ribbon and we will look at it and we will decide if it needs to be trimmed. Trees are the last remaining habitat left in this 50 year old lake other than what brush and structure has been placed by the local fishermen.

Waterskiiing, jet skiis or any other type of "thrillcraft" are not allowed on any Arkansas Game and Fish Commission lake please abide by the regulations which are in the Arkansas Fishing Guidebook and are posted on our two Project signs at the access ramps and as you enter the area near the dam.

If you have further questions you can e-mail or call me at the Russellville Regional Office, 1-877-967-7577.

District Fisheries Biologist
Western Arkansas

milkmania
01-27-2006, 12:16 AM
two in one day:(

Mr. ******: Director ********** asked us to answer your questions. I am forwarding your e-mail to******, the District Fisheries Biologist for west Arkansas. He will be able to specifically address your questions about removing or cutting dead trees out in the lake. We did draw Sugurloaf down this fall/winter for fisheries management. You may have noticed the piles of crushed limestone that we added to the exposed lake bottom. We purposefully lower many of out lakes on a 4-5 year rotation so the lake bottom can aerate and we can work on dams, ramps, and other structures. We didn't anticipate an extended drought, and are hopeful that spring rains will bring the lake level back to normal by early March.

Chief of Fisheries
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission

Bobby
01-27-2006, 02:38 AM
hey milkmania, you're out by the eufaula area, have you heard of the latest conditions out there? last I knew my parents' dock was beached and had about 25 feet of dry land until the water line

milkmania
01-27-2006, 02:52 AM
hey milkmania, you're out by the eufaula area, have you heard of the latest conditions out there? last I knew my parents' dock was beached and had about 25 feet of dry land until the water line

according to mapquest, I am still quite a ways from Eufaula.

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 48 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 92.88 miles

tex
02-01-2006, 10:57 AM
My site! Not good!

LakePirate
02-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Waterskiiing, jet skiis or any other type of "thrillcraft" are not allowed

Water skiing is not a crime.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-01-2006, 11:15 AM
well, I guess that's that:(
Waterskiiing, jet skiis or any other type of "thrillcraft" are not allowed on any Arkansas Game and Fish Commission lake please abide by the regulations which are in the Arkansas Fishing Guidebook and are posted on our two Project signs at the access ramps and as you enter the area near the dam.

Wow, I just read that whole thing. Puzzling isn't it....... Doesn't look good for your "thrillcrafting" milk...

jraben8
02-01-2006, 11:16 AM
"Thrillcraft" - Can't say that I have ever heard that term before...

Dan K
02-01-2006, 11:32 AM
District Fisheries Biologist
Western Arkansas

Milk, Check out Ebay for some "BASS Tracker" decals for your boat. Nothing says you can't "troll" between a few marker bouys at 30 ish. Keep a ronco pocket fisherman with ya and remeber not to smile or show any hint of thrill when doing so.