PDA

View Full Version : PSS Shaft Seal on V-Drive

Tom023
01-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Well, I attempted to install the PSS shaft seal on my X30 today and believe it's impossible without pulling the engine. The problem is that the compressed overall length of the seal is about 6" and it can be no more than 4.5", any longer and you cannot access the set screws because they will be in the transmission "tunnel," the part where the shaft comes through the transmission on a V-drive. The attached picture should help you see what I mean. Has anyone installed one of these on a V-drive, and if so, how did you solve this problem? If the bellows were shorter it may work, but you cannot cut the bellows.

If Vince won't take it back, I have a brand new 1-1/8"shaft seal at a discount for any of you DD guys.

jimmer2880
01-15-2006, 03:16 PM
That's a real bummer.... I wonder if the OJ version would work?

EJ OJPROP
01-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Our XPC dripless shaft seal was designed specifically for the inboard ski boats. As you know they are a standard item on all MasterCraft boats and are being used on other ski boats as well. The seal should fit the application well.

88 PS190
01-16-2006, 01:42 PM
nope, doesn't look like... http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5

"This is a new product from Johnson Propellers and has a dual graphite lip seal. Includes the water supply kit but can be run without it with no fear of burning up the graphite seal. You need a minimun of 7" drive shaft free length for installation or removal. "

It could still work if you can reach the 2.5" or so up the tunnel to tighten it.

EJ OJPROP
01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
The overall length of our seal with hose attached is 6". The hose can be trimmed to fit as well.

Tom023
01-16-2006, 03:10 PM
I spoke with Eric at OJ and Vince at SkiDIM and am convinced the OJ seal will work. It is a different design that does not require set screws to hold it to the shaft. Just run the shaft through it, attach it to the log and connect the water hose. There is enough space in the "tunnel" to accommodate the seal, just not enough room to work setting screws. I'll post again, hopefully with a picture of the install.

Tom023
01-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I am happy to report the OJ shaft seal fits with no issues and is extremely easy to install. Just attach to the log and slide the drive shaft through it and connect the water hose. While it doesn't seem as "substantial" as the PSS seal, it is a much simpler design and hopefully will provide years of trouble free service.

Kell
01-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Tom023, nice install. What did you connect the water line to? Did ou use some sore of t-connection to the raw water intake?

Tom023
01-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Yes, a t-connector comes in the kit for a 1" hose. It connects to one of the hoses running from the thermostat housing to a manifold. I think getting that fitting in the hose was the hardest part of the install.

lakes Rick
01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Yes, a t-connector comes in the kit for a 1" hose. It connects to one of the hoses running from the thermostat housing to a manifold. I think getting that fitting in the hose was the hardest part of the install.

I have been working on my Vdrive and I think I have the dripless seal also??? Black hose with a hose clamp on each end.. I guess I do not have to adjust my packing...... Previous owner must of installed it....

I assume the water line is for lubrication.. The other brands do not have one?? Any thoughts???

XPC Sealman
05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Our XPC Shaft Seal will have a white body with either a black "MasterCraft" rubber cover over the seal or a palin blue cover depending on where the system was purchased. We are the only white body seal system out there. If you have any questions feel free to give us a call 888-359-9730.