PDA

View Full Version : Best wax??

Bugsrus
01-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Hey guys,
I am getting ready for the summer skiing season down here. I really need to wax my boat this year. What is the best wax to use? Any sugestions would help.
Thanks. :)

TMCNo1
01-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Hey guys,
I am getting ready for the summer skiing season down here. I really need to wax my boat this year. What is the best wax to use? Any sugestions would help.
Thanks. :)
Try Meguiers #16 paste wax, it lays on the surface. water spots just wipe off when you wipe off the boat. GOOD TEST, next spring apply any wax u wish to the hull, under the chine about 4' back from the boweye on 1 side only, apply #16 to the other side and after 3/4 weeks of in water use, ask yourself which held up the best, if it works there it"ll work above water too. I use it and it takes about 1 1/2 years to use up a can @ $10.95 a can and I wax 3 cars every 4 mos.+ boat once a year.............good luck.....later!

Tom023
01-14-2006, 02:18 PM
This is the best wax I've used. Use the paste form, not liquid. You only do small sections at a time, but it will last a long time.

http://www.collinite.com/

TMCNo1
01-14-2006, 03:30 PM
This is the best wax I've used. Use the paste form, not liquid. You only do small sections at a time, but it will last a long time.

Another tip, remove it when it's about 1/2 dry, do not allow it to totally haze, it comes off easier and will not build up against decals, trim pcs. etc. when applying be sure the applicator rag, sponge, etc. is damp, do not apply all the way up against rub rail, w/s frame, vents, etc. then by removing semi dry and buffing you move some of the wax around and it won't build up in and on unwanted places.................. Another tip, lacquer thinner will remove most all marks from rub rails and will not hurt them, caused by guide bars, other boat rub rails, fenders, etc. Put armor-all on your rub rail after your trip to the lake, and on guide bars, think about it, it protects them and lubes them...........Want to stop your rub getting marked by your guide bars and getting burns in your guide bar tubes?..........Research getting a set of pickup truck bed rails [chrome or s/s] for a long bed, or go to local restaurant supply store and they can order chrome or brass bar rail tube[min order 12']cut to your specs at factory. Either way you will have 2 complete sets for around $100. Apply elect. tape to trailer tubes b4 new tubes go on and reinstall cap at top. They will not float off, they are too heavy. Rub rail won't burn them and they wont mark rub rail if it's armor-alled. You can find with some research colored hitch ball covers that will work as replacement guide bar tube caps, red, black, silver, put them in real hot water the soften up and they go right on............later

Workin' 4 Toys
01-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Mequire's Premium.

The one with BLACK BOAT on the front in a beige bottle.

Sodar
01-14-2006, 07:26 PM
I argue that Megiuar's is horrible... if you really wanna get something that lasts and is worth it, use what all the big boys with yachts use... it is called Tre-Wax, it comes in a green and orange paste wax tin. It has a bit of teflon in it with a carnuba base, you will not be disappointed. My family uses it on our big boat boat that stays in the ocean, we wax it twice a year and it holds up VERY well.

JohnnyB
01-14-2006, 09:13 PM
I heard a rumor that teflon wax will yellow....anybody find any truth to that.

Sodar
01-15-2006, 12:34 AM
I have heard nothing about teflon yellowing. We have used teflon products exclusively on our ocean boat since new and have not noticed a single sign of yellowing, she is still as white as the day we brought her home! I can send picks for you tp witness if you would like.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-15-2006, 10:19 AM
I've heard if you use any teflon enhanced wax, you are not suppose to use a polymer or silicone enhanced wax or it will haze/yellow.
Once you use one or the other, don't switch.

ski_king
01-15-2006, 10:25 AM

I use Collinite also. No cheap or easy to put on, but it does last.
http://www.collinite.com/waxtest.gif

ski_king
01-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks TMCNo1, lots of great tips!

atlfootr
01-25-2006, 04:23 PM
My MC "Gelcoat Man" told me that Carnauba wax, ROCKS! :firejump:

captain planet
03-05-2006, 09:43 PM
I hate to dig up old horses that are already dead (this thread), but I waxed my boat today. I had some Maguires left that I had purchased and to be honest, I have to agree with a previous statement and say I'm not happy with it. It doesn't seem to last. I wipe my boat down every time I pull it and after about a month of boating, you can hardly tell it was waxed.

So in the interest of this board and my own curiosity, I waxed half of my boat with Maguires and the other half with the MasterCraft boat wax that I received a little while ago in our little care package that they send out to us. I don't know what to expect out of the MC wax, but it has to be better than the Maguires. I will report my findings sometime in July or August if and when I can start to see which wax is better.

Holtrodj
03-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Has anyone used this stuff? Any recommendations? I've heard good things, but it looks to be different than conventional wax.

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

jeverett
03-05-2006, 11:56 PM
I hate to dig up old horses that are already dead (this thread), but I waxed my boat today. I had some Maguires left that I had purchased and to be honest, I have to agree with a previous statement and say I'm not happy with it. It doesn't seem to last. I wipe my boat down every time I pull it and after about a month of boating, you can hardly tell it was waxed.

So in the interest of this board and my own curiosity, I waxed half of my boat with Maguires and the other half with the MasterCraft boat wax that I received a little while ago in our little care package that they send out to us. I don't know what to expect out of the MC wax, but it has to be better than the Maguires. I will report my findings sometime in July or August if and when I can start to see which wax is better.

Which Meguiar's product did you use? and how did you apply it?

H20skeefreek
03-06-2006, 07:48 AM
just to let you know tmc, if you find some #16 and you like it, buy it. Meg's has pulled it from the market do to some ingredient in it that they can't use anymore. it's going for around $20/can on ebay right now.

jeverett
03-06-2006, 10:09 AM
just to let you know tmc, if you find some #16 and you like it, buy it. Meg's has pulled it from the market do to some ingredient in it that they can't use anymore. it's going for around $20/can on ebay right now.

Because of the solvents used to get it to dry quickly and to cure on the surface it did not comply with CARB standards (California Air Resource Board) That is environmental talk for we are going to screw with your business. Because the product has a great deal of polymers it requires quite a bit of solvent. Don't worry though you are not going to hurt the environment with it.

TMCNo1
03-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Sorry to hear about the removal of Meguiars #16 from the market, that makes my new can and my 1/2 can something to treasure, plus it takes me about 3 years to use a can anyway so I'm set for a while. Thanks for the update! By the way, most any paste Carnuba Wax should work well, if you like using the ones with the silicones in them. So we will all see where this goes!

G-man
03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
hotrodj

The rejex works great on glass, metal, fiberglass. I use it on my boat and jeep. A lot of sportscar people are using it. Their other products are top notch. It is important to apply rejex when it is below 85 and it doesn't get wet for 12 hours.

1984StarsandStripes
03-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Hey gang, I heard all of you talking about Meg's #16. I bought a bottle of Meg's Marine Wax, it's in a black bottle last year before i bought my MC. What experience has anyone had with this stuff? Also I purchased two bottles of 303 recently. I know there are 2 threads on 303 on here. I posted a reply asking if you needed to wax over the 303(which kinda made sense but then again...:confused: ). Does anyone wax over 303 or is the 303 suffient for the 60-90 day period listed on the bottle? Come on I know all you 303 junkies are reading this thread. Help me out! :friday:

BrianM
03-10-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't think there is a need to wax over the 303. That being said I usually do. I generally give a 303 wipedown on the gel before I do my waxing. Seems to give it a great look and I believe that the wax is an extra barrier before getting to the 303. I use the 303 mostly because of the UV protection. Probably overkill but...

1984StarsandStripes
03-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Overkill!!! What is that...?8p

jeverett
03-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Hey gang, I heard all of you talking about Meg's #16. I bought a bottle of Meg's Marine Wax, it's in a black bottle last year before i bought my MC. What experience has anyone had with this stuff? Also I purchased two bottles of 303 recently. I know there are 2 threads on 303 on here. I posted a reply asking if you needed to wax over the 303(which kinda made sense but then again...:confused: ). Does anyone wax over 303 or is the 303 suffient for the 60-90 day period listed on the bottle? Come on I know all you 303 junkies are reading this thread. Help me out! :friday:

303 is a maintenance product, designed for use between waxes. If you try and wax over 303 the reality is that you are probably removing the 303 with the wax.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-10-2006, 11:31 PM
I've been satisfied with Mequires products for years. BUT, I think I am going to turn over a new leaf and use this line up. 3M has yet to let me down.
3M waxs (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/marine/node_GSDRWCV8ZBbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GS4JK4Y166ge/gvel_H8PTZGX97Rgl/theme_us_marine_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html)

jeverett
03-11-2006, 10:56 PM
I've been satisfied with Mequires products for years. BUT, I think I am going to turn over a new leaf and use this line up. 3M has yet to let me down.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/marine/node_GSDRWCV8ZBbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GS4JK4Y166ge/gvel_H8PTZGX97Rgl/theme_us_marine_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

3M makes some good products too. The gal that is pushing the Meguiars marine line is doing a great job and I expect to see some great stuff from them soon! Incedently you might want to try their new NXT liquid wax for the boat as well as the car, good stuff.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2006, 01:07 AM
3M makes some good products too. The gal that is pushing the Meguiars marine line is doing a great job and I expect to see some great stuff from them soon! Incedently you might want to try their new NXT liquid wax for the boat as well as the car, good stuff.
This stuff? Yes I have it in my Wax arsenal. Synthetic polymer, Yes, easy to apply and remove. But it does not react with silicone waxes well. And it does not say anything about Gelcoat, that being said I do not intend to use it on my boat. There are plenty of other great products out there, and I am on the hunt for the perfect solution.

Holtrodj
03-12-2006, 05:32 PM
hotrodj

The rejex works great on glass, metal, fiberglass. I use it on my boat and jeep. A lot of sportscar people are using it. Their other products are top notch. It is important to apply rejex when it is below 85 and it doesn't get wet for 12 hours.

This Rejex stuff sounds very similar to the Meguiars NXT stuff.

stevo137
03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Still a debate. Car care manufacturers have tried to cash in on the name (Teflon).

Are waxes with Teflon any good?
Professionals consider "Teflon" formulas to be empty hype. Even the maker of Teflon (DuPont) issued the following statement:

"The addition of a Teflon fluoropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon is beneficial in car waxes."

Meguiar's does not make any products containing Teflon.

Anyone have any experience using these products?

H20skeefreek
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I have read this also, supposedly, teflon doesn't do anything until it's been chemically attached to a surface at roughly 300 degrees.....yet Dupont actually markets a teflon wax now....go figure.

stevo137
03-12-2006, 10:57 PM
I have read this also, supposedly, teflon doesn't do anything until it's been chemically attached to a surface at roughly 300 degrees.....yet Dupont actually markets a teflon wax now....go figure.
As I said, it is a debate and I haven't tried any of them yet. There have also been problems with oil manufacturers using the Teflon name.

bret
03-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Meguirs 3 step process, cleaner - swirl remover - carnuba.
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/501/247master1.jpg
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/247master4.jpg

Interior - Vinylex from Lexol
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/247master2.jpg

Wax and cleaners are a very subjective subject. Teflon is a patch job and if you use it, you need to continue to use it, becuase when you try to take it off, you will have to get the layers off before you even get back to the gel coat. Just my .02

captain planet
03-13-2006, 09:36 PM
I think it their Marine wax/cleaner #26, I think. It was a liquid, not a paste. I don't have the bottle handy, but the next time I get to my boat, I will check the bottle. I just applied the wax by hand and removed it by hand. Nothing special or high tech, just elbow grease. That will change as soon as I get a buffer. :)

jeverett
03-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Still a debate. Car care manufacturers have tried to cash in on the name (Teflon).

Are waxes with Teflon any good?
Professionals consider "Teflon" formulas to be empty hype. Even the maker of Teflon (DuPont) issued the following statement:

"The addition of a Teflon fluoropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon is beneficial in car waxes."

Meguiar's does not make any products containing Teflon.

Anyone have any experience using these products?

That is correct Teflon does nothing to protect your finish. Teflon is Poly TetraFlouro Ethlene (big polymer) and requires high temperatures to apply basically melting your gelcoat. The best products for gelcoat are paste waxes and resin glazes. You can apply a paste wax with a buffer just wipe some on the pad and buff away. That being said you gotta wonder about the quality of any product that would be so misleading as to put teflon right on the bottle.

captain planet
03-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Maguiar's #50 Boat wax. It is a liquid.

88 PS190
03-20-2006, 10:59 AM
teflon has also started appearing in groundwater, and lots of places it shouldn't be... avoid the stuff.

G-man
03-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Bret

good looking 190

east tx skier
03-20-2006, 11:30 AM
George, that's what I think every time I see it. Bret, if you ever want to do a swap for an open bow, don't hesitate to call me. All of your accessories would still match.

oldschool84
03-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Mequire's Premium.

The one with BLACK BOAT on the front in a beige bottle.
I use this stuff works great :purplaugh

PendO
03-21-2006, 08:57 PM

yeah, how is the 303 on the gel coat?

sounds like you can use 303 and never need to wax or buff, I got 2 bottles at west marine today, gonna try it out:)

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=308

303 For Fiberglass...Never Buff or Wax Again!
303 Products on Fiberglass

Like vinyl, gelcoat fiberglass (polyester resin) is a UV sensitive plastic. Though manufacturers add UV stabilizers to vinyl and gelcoat fiberglass in the manufacturing process, these protective agents weaken over time and must be replenished if continuing UV protection is desired (See volume 4). Colored gelcoat fiberglass is particularly sensitive to UV degradation and 303 Aerospace Protectant is by far the easiest way to make colored fiberglass look like new again and to keep it that way. Nothing else is even close.

303 Aerospace Protectant works by penetrating to restore a like-new color and gloss. Spray on enough 303 to thoroughly wet the surface (303 goes farther if it's sprayed on and then rubbed around and in). Wipe away excess with soft, absorbent cloth. Wipe until completely dry, changing cloths as cloths become damp. Unlike wax, 303 is not left to dry before it is wiped off. If 303 has dried on the surface, it is easily removed by spraying the area with more 303, then wiping dry.

For best results, apply 303 out of direct sunlight so fiberglass surface is not overly warm. A hot surface causes 303 to evaporate before it can do its job.

Reapplying

Reapply by spraying 303 on the surface and wiping dry with a soft, absorbent cloth...very much like dusting furniture and just as easy! For trailered boats, a convenient time to reapply is after trailering, just before toweling it dry. Mist it lightly first with 303, then towel dry...takes an extra 30-40 seconds. This is an excellent way to keep up the UV screen and totally prevent UV caused slow-fade. Plus dirt, road grime, and 60 mile-an-hour bugs will not stick to a 303'd surface (you'll love it!).

When to Reapply
303 is water repellent (beads water). When the water repellency begins to diminish, reapply. Or if you think it may be time to reapply, but don't know for sure, do a small spot with 303. If any of the color or luster comes back, reapply. Usually, a simple spray on/wipe off reapplication every 30 to 80 days of exposure is sufficient.

Does 303 Always Work?

303 always works unless there is something on the surface keeping 303 away from the fiberglass...teflon, silicone, polymer sealants, or fresh wax. If the surface has been freshly waxed, it is not necessary to remove the wax. Just wait a few weeks and try again. Wax does not last long enough to warrant the effort required to remove it.

About 2% of the time pre-buffing (compounding) is required. When required, be sure to use a rubbing compound that does not leave a coating or sealant. Use pure rubbing compound with only the finest abrasive.

Older Surfaces

Even after a few years without care, it may be unnecessary to compound before using 303. Use 303 to find out for sure.

First apply 303 normally. If this does not restore the like-new color and gloss typical with 303, try this: In the shade (or just before dark), spray a basketball-size spot with 303. Rub it in and spray again to make sure the spot is thoroughly wet with 303. Let set for a few hours or overnight. Spray the spot again with 303 and wipe dry. This is often all it takes to make gelcoat look like new again without compounding.

Holtrodj
03-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Nobody else uses 303 on the Gelcoat? I'm curoius now...

ski36short
03-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Bret, beautiful boat - a floating Meguiar's ad!

mitch
03-23-2006, 09:40 PM

lottas people do. I've seen it mentioned many time on wakeworld.com

mitch
03-23-2006, 09:43 PM
ya might be thinking of their high tech yellow #26 wax. Not a marine wax and no cleaners. I use it on my trucks and boat.

I think it their Marine wax/cleaner #26, I think. It was a liquid, not a paste. I don't have the bottle handy, but the next time I get to my boat, I will check the bottle. I just applied the wax by hand and removed it by hand. Nothing special or high tech, just elbow grease. That will change as soon as I get a buffer. :)

USC8791
03-24-2006, 02:45 PM

I've always used it on my vinyl. I just this last weekend used it on my interior gel coat for the ist time (behind dash pod, around glove compartment and window walk-thru etc...) and it looks good. Not sure about entire boat; i've always used Meguiars Premium (didn't like the MC brand that came in the new boat kit).

stevo137
04-03-2006, 10:45 PM
I use Meguiars oxidation remover twice a season and Starbrite wax for a quick shine throughout the season.

Hoosier Bob
04-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Go to your local Honda Motorcycle shop and ask for the Honda spray cleaner wax! It is the ****! I try tons of stuff and for quick spray and wipe it is killer! Wow Stevo! I never thought we would be posting on a wax thread at 11:00!

trainwreck_6
04-04-2006, 12:24 AM
I second the Honda stuff..! I use it on windshield, stainless and fiberglass.

Also want to mention the 50/50 mix of Lysol/Peroxide! Cleaned black marks and lake junk off quickly and without much effort. It even left the hull feeling like I just waxed it.

skibrink
05-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I've checked the FAQ because I swore I had seen a thread about the "best" boat wax, but now I can't find it. So what is the best protection for the best boat on the water? Hand wax or use a buffer? Also, should I wax over the graphics or wax around them? Thanks.

cbryan70
05-16-2007, 10:12 PM
i use 3m scotchguard wax, its in a black container, Seems to work well,

DemolitionMan
05-16-2007, 10:48 PM
I like liquid glass or finish first.

dpolen
05-17-2007, 08:03 AM
I just used Trewax on the bottom of my boat this year. Supposed to be pretty good stuff according to the guys at West Marine. Used 3M stuff prior to this.

boatdad
05-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I found a great product and have used it on my car and on my boat, 2006 x-15. It so far looks to be a great product. It's called SIMIX Supreme Shield. Check out the web site at www.simixsolutions.com It's easy to apply, just spray on and wipe off.

ProTour X9
05-17-2007, 04:57 PM
i use 3m scotchguard wax, its in a black container, Seems to work well,

I use the same thing!!!:cool:

boatdad
05-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Do you like the product?

BroncoBillys
07-01-2007, 02:08 PM
I am a new xstar owner wanting to know the proper method to maintain your gelcoat. I own a restaurant and have learned over many years that just having the product in the kicthen is where you start. The real results comes in the combo of a good product but then you must have the proper method of application to produce a great product. In reading the list of products that are used it seems as though there are many good ones. WHAT DO YOU FEEL IN THE BEST METHOD OF APPLICATION. tHANKS

Lennyp04
07-02-2007, 09:38 PM
For quick waxing we use Babes boat bright and then for seats Babes seat soap. Boat bright works well as something just to put on while sitting at the island to brighten it up

softailcowboy
07-02-2007, 11:11 PM
during the season when I pull boat out at the end of the day I use Eagle "wax as U DRy". it's a spray works great. no waterspots etc.

2QWICK
07-08-2007, 11:21 AM
3M marine wax works for me...

JohnnyB
07-08-2007, 11:27 AM
For quick waxing we use Babes boat bright and then for seats Babes seat soap. Boat bright works well as something just to put on while sitting at the island to brighten it up

Babe's seat soap followed by 303 is the way to go.

ProTour X9
07-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I also use the 3M Scotchguard Marine Wax:) Meguiars is junk8p 8p :mad:

TMCNo1
07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I also use the 3M Scotchguard Marine Wax:) Meguiars is junk8p 8p :mad:
18 year old junk shine!

ProTour X9
07-08-2007, 04:59 PM
yoos knows i's kidding No1, is your boat red and orange?

TMCNo1
07-08-2007, 05:05 PM
yoos knows i's kidding No1, is your boat red and orange?
Beige/Red:D

SkiDog
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Beige/Red:D

Ain't it bout time to trade that hunka junk fer one them purty new X boats?:D

ProTour X9
07-08-2007, 05:44 PM
:firejump: no he can get a 190 with those special stickers;)

TMCNo1
07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Ain't it bout time to trade that hunka junk fer one them purty new X boats?:D

I would sell or trade it but they haven't come out with the "G" (geriatric) Series boat yet, so I guess, I'll stick with the Senior boats for the us Seniors!

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Aceually Harold I think candle wax works if it spends 90% on it's life in the garage!8p

TMCNo1
07-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Aceually Harold I think candle wax works if it spends 90% on it's life in the garage!8p

Never thought of that! It's not like I've never spit shined a pair of Navy shoes.

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Troopers here! Only have to worry about the toe and heel!;) Never thought of that! It's not like I've never spit shined a pair of Navy shoes.

TMCNo1
07-08-2007, 10:20 PM

That's 16.8 hours a week, it will never happen, more like 96% of the time!

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Do you not have a boat to polish? That teak looks maloiled?

TMCNo1
07-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Do you not have a boat to polish? That teak looks maloiled?

No and No, just waiting patiently to go out and play!

ProTour X9
07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Harold, you wouldn't want to see my teak :( It needs some (3m) wax too. Its just being used sooo much. :D

Kummer
07-16-2007, 10:17 PM
how do you guys feel about the quick one step cleaner wax vs the three setp comppund polish and wax process.

SoCalBrew
08-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Captain - Im curious about your results... just got my mc wax - and I'm curious if it has held up on your boat?

6ballsisall
08-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Glad this thread got dug up......

What is the difference between a Glaze and Wax? I put some Meguiars Glaze on my car last weekend. It has an awesome shine to it but it doesn't feel silky smooth like a coat of wax does. Is there a difference?

TMCNo1
08-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Glaze does nothing more than fill in microscopic swirls and scratches, adds oils and nutrients back to the paint, but offers little protection, where wax covers the paint with a layer of protection against the elements.

TX.X-30 fan
08-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Glaze does nothing more than fill in microscopic swirls and scratches, adds oils and nutrients back to the paint, but offers little protection, where wax covers the paint with a layer of protection against the elements.

What would be the difference between a bikini wax and a bikini gaze then. :confused:

TMCNo1
08-24-2007, 08:44 PM
What would be the difference between a bikini wax and a bikini gaze then. :confused:

I refuse to answer on the grounds moderators might moderate me! I've been in enough trouble lately, I know they wish I would just go away!

SoCalBrew
08-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Has anyone else done an indepth on the MC wax? I've very curious how it hold up for a spray wax.

Tom

dmayer84
11-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Want to give the boat a good waxing and was wondering what the best wax to use is?

mcrider
11-27-2007, 10:43 PM
i use the driven to perfection wax. it has been a really good product and really makes the fiberglass look good.
http://www.driventoperfection.com/

TX.X-30 fan
11-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I like turtle wax???

dmayer84
11-27-2007, 10:47 PM
I like turtle wax???

Does that mean it is slow to put on and take off?

cbryan70
11-27-2007, 10:49 PM
3M in the black bottle

cbryan70
11-27-2007, 10:50 PM
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Select/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4B0_nid=6WKPQTCZR4gsH 8PTZGX97RglF59ZP7C69Tbl

TX.X-30 fan
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Does that mean it is slow to put on and take off?

Not with my model 7456789634 grinder /polisher from home depot!!!

loeweb
11-30-2007, 02:29 PM
I use 3M marine paste wax. Works great.

chudson
11-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I have always had good luck with Meguiares line of auto care..............http://www.meguiars.com/

Roonie's
11-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Not with my model 7456789634 grinder /polisher from home depot!!!

Speaking of what do people use to wax on wax off. I bought a buffer at an auto parts store for around $20 but I have now burned up two of them waxing my car twice. They suck.

I need something better. I was looking for an attachment for my Dewalt cordless drill but could not find one. Any ideas?

Sodar
11-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Porter Cable 7424. Best tool I have ever bought.....

stuartmcnair
11-30-2007, 04:20 PM
The Mother's polishing balls are great...two sizes and they work on the drill

BrianM
11-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Although that is a great random orbital if you do not already have a machine I would highly reccomend the Makita BO6040. It is a dual mode machine both circular and random orbit. It is more money than the Porter Cable but is two machines in one. It did an amazing job in circular mode with compounding and does as well as the Porter Cable in random orbit. I just got done doing a 3 step process on my wifes car which is black. Took out all of the water spots and left zero swirl marks.

I use these foam pads http://properautocare.com/oeccste65inf.html Again a little expensive but they are extremely high quality pads. They make a great wool compounding pad as well.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/BO6040/?ref=base

JohnE
11-30-2007, 08:01 PM

I have that too, and it is great. But I also bought a Dewalt straight buffer this year. (yeah, black boat) which makes the random orbiter seem like a toy. Both are great, but with different purposes.

Jerseydave
11-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Dmayer,

I've been using Zymol with good results. Also tried Meguires marine wax too. Others have sworn that Zaino is great, especially Corvette owners.

My friend who details for a living loves Collinite (sp?) He sells it too. I can get you his e-mail if you want it.

So, is this for the X-10 or the new X-star? (how's that purchase coming along anyway?)

mitch
05-05-2009, 03:04 PM

Well, how did it work out? Never saw the follow up;)

captain planet
05-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Well, how did it work out? Never saw the follow up;)

There wasn't much difference. I would assume that as much as I wipe my boat down after each use I wipe the wax right off the boat.

I just got my boat back from being detailed and they used Collinite? paste wax I believe? Anybody in the area looking to have their boat detailed should contact them. The boat is really shiny right now and feels great! :D I'll let you know how this works as the season progresses. ;)

The marina I took it to, Gummere Marine in Canton, Ohio did a great job.

bcampbe7
05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I have noticed a couple new inquiries on waxing boats and detailing in general.

I have been using Adams Polishes products for a little while now. If you haven't tried any of his stuff you owe it to yourself to give it a whirl. By far the easiest to use and the best results you will see out of any product on the market.

The forum has tons of great info and before/after pictures as well.
www.adamsforums.com/forums/

If you are looking for a wax try either the Buttery Wax or the new Americana Paste wax (just launched today).

ntidsl
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I use my boat alot...March to November every Friday am to Sunday night. It sits in the Ohio river which isn't the clearest water. I used to use Mequirers Black bottle and I have to agree it didnt last but that wasnt that important to me. I waxed at least every other month inside and out. I currently use a microfiber rag and a hose and wipe the whole boat down...leaving it wet after a complete wipe down I use Babes spray and rewipe and dry the boat. The babes provides a nice thing coat of wax which I find perfect and allows the boat to shine and sparkle. I use 16 ounces of Babes every other week so I buy the gallon sizes regularly. I like the smell too. I do everything with Babes, windows, seats, mirrors, etc...

I have recently went to the wax, pictured below for my every other month waxing.

I have no signs of fading, oxidation, etc...and now with my new carpet cleaner wow...babes seat soat monthly followed by 303 just for extra shine.

okay I admit it takes 4 beers every Sunday to clean the boat but the results are worth it...People mock me, I have to admit that too...but my son will be using this boat someday, he's only 5 now it has to last until he's at least 25 or so...

I do have a scratch on one of my seats and it causes sleepless nights...i just need a dab of somethig to cover it up, anyone have any suggestions...its just a scratch but it sscares me that it could dry out someday or something...sorry no picture of the scratch.

russlars
05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
There wasn't much difference. I would assume that as much as I wipe my boat down after each use I wipe the wax right off the boat.

I just got my boat back from being detailed and they used Collinite? paste wax I believe? Anybody in the area looking to have their boat detailed should contact them. The boat is really shiny right now and feels great! :D I'll let you know how this works as the season progresses. ;)

The marina I took it to, Gummere Marine in Canton, Ohio did a great job.
You're going to love the performance of the Collinite. Been using it for years and turned several of my boating buddies onto it. Everyone that has tried it loves it. Mine still beads water at the end of the season.

captain planet
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I use my boat alot...March to November every Friday am to Sunday night. It sits in the Ohio river which isn't the clearest water. I used to use Mequirers Black bottle and I have to agree it didnt last but that wasnt that important to me. I waxed at least every other month inside and out. I currently use a microfiber rag and a hose and wipe the whole boat down...leaving it wet after a complete wipe down I use Babes spray and rewipe and dry the boat. The babes provides a nice thing coat of wax which I find perfect and allows the boat to shine and sparkle. I use 16 ounces of Babes every other week so I buy the gallon sizes regularly. I like the smell too. I do everything with Babes, windows, seats, mirrors, etc...

I have recently went to the wax, pictured below for my every other month waxing.

I have no signs of fading, oxidation, etc...and now with my new carpet cleaner wow...babes seat soat monthly followed by 303 just for extra shine.

okay I admit it takes 4 beers every Sunday to clean the boat but the results are worth it...People mock me, I have to admit that too...but my son will be using this boat someday, he's only 5 now it has to last until he's at least 25 or so...

I do have a scratch on one of my seats and it causes sleepless nights...i just need a dab of somethig to cover it up, anyone have any suggestions...its just a scratch but it sscares me that it could dry out someday or something...sorry no picture of the scratch.

Are you talking about this stuff?

captain planet
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
You're going to love the performance of the Collinite. Been using it for years and turned several of my boating buddies onto it. Everyone that has tried it loves it. Mine still beads water at the end of the season.

If it does I will be suprised. My boat gets wiped down every Saturday and Sunday during the summer. I really don't want to have to do a complete wax twice a summer. If the Collinite doesn't work I will probably try that Babes Spray to see how it works.

flipper
05-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Are you talking about this stuff?

I use that stuff everytime I go out. Good stuff for sure, and great people to deal with.

jdl xstar
05-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Just ordered some Trewax a few minutes ago from Sodar's suggestion. $19.95 Sounds like some industrial strength stuff.

ntidsl
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM
thats the stuff...its awesome really...uv protection, environmentally safe, its just good stuff...hose down and apply if your boating water is clean...just spray it on surface and wipe in and off...there's a new product I was introduced to call Rat Juice...but I think they are still in the start up period and giving out samples to spur interest...seemed to me to work just as good as Babes.

ntidsl
05-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Used the new Rat Juice this weekend...Wow...I'm happy as a puppy with two peters...

ntidsl
05-10-2009, 06:36 PM
350 hours...in the water almost every weekend from March to November...

ntidsl
05-10-2009, 08:05 PM
okay one more I promise.

ntidsl
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
close up...last one!

magnum
05-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Where did you purchase the "rat Juice Wax" ?

BriEOD
05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
If it does I will be suprised. My boat gets wiped down every Saturday and Sunday during the summer. I really don't want to have to do a complete wax twice a summer. If the Collinite doesn't work I will probably try that Babes Spray to see how it works.

I've had good luck with the Babe's. You can use it on everything--gel, interior, plastic, tower, etc.

bxroads
05-11-2009, 12:12 AM
I've the hardest boat in the world to keep looking good. So far its been easy with Meguiars Flagship base (the stuff is so darn easy to apply) and 10 minutes at the ramp after each outing with Babes Boat Bright.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/IMG_2945.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/IMG_2937.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/IMG_29411.jpg

DBrown2
05-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Well, today is the day, to get boat out and shined, ready for the Holiday... What does people use on the interior to keep it shiny and clean?

Our lake water, is brown/yellow funky... So after each time out, its pretty nasty... I just used water/vinger for light easy quick wipe downs... Just cause it was handy... during quick wipe downs while sitting waiting... Yes I am one of those guys... Wife gets pissed but... Smiles each time, someone says clean boat, or good looking boat... Anyways...

I am taking it from reading posts, no one is using Car Interior Products? I say this cause I own a car wash, and I have Mequire's interior wipes, and Armor All wipes at my disposal.

Whitfield
06-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Go to your local Honda Motorcycle shop and ask for the Honda spray cleaner wax! It is the ****! I try tons of stuff and for quick spray and wipe it is killer! Wow Stevo! I never thought we would be posting on a wax thread at 11:00!

Working with motorcycles / prepping for resale, I've always been told that the Honda wax was just over priced Furniture polish. Have any of you ever tried a $5 can of pledge for a quick shine inbetween waxes. I've used furniture polish on bikes with similar results to the Honda spray wax.

Not that it compares to Rat Juice or Babes ~ Just curious.

Carbon Dreams
06-03-2009, 02:33 AM
I've been using Mothers Synthetic and have been pretty impressed.

ccowell
06-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Last night I was waxing the top coat of my boat with the semi-new turtle wax clear synthetic Ice liquid wax. It works well and doesn't leave the white film and would recommend it to everyone else out there.

Just wondering what else you guys are using out there and have success with?

ccowell
06-03-2009, 09:15 AM
sorry guys just noticed the other thread about this.......I'm a idiot and haven't had my coffee yet.

TMCNo1
06-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Working with motorcycles / prepping for resale, I've always been told that the Honda wax was just over priced Furniture polish. Have any of you ever tried a $5 can of pledge for a quick shine inbetween waxes. I've used furniture polish on bikes with similar results to the Honda spray wax.

Not that it compares to Rat Juice or Babes ~ Just curious.

I have used Pledge for over 20 years in my bilge, black gelcoat dash and platform, but as far as exterior gelcoat application, I have found that is will streak real bad if not applied thick and will wash off with a minimal amount of water. Taking a damp towel to it will really makes a streaky mess.

trunderw
06-23-2009, 01:51 PM
I use 303 on everything. I like how it makes the seats clean but they don't feel like there's stuff on them.

Wkbrder
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for a good inexpensive wax or polish that's easy to use and will last? I generally only get around to polishing up the boat once in the spring and maybe before I put it away, but I always wipe it down and keep it in the garage. I have plenty of bottles of half used stuff and every year I just grab one and try to use it up. Thought I could try something new this year.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Guy

mpabreo
06-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax. I use it twice a year. I also use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer in between washes and waxes. This stuff is bada$$. Seriously, after a short outing, spray it on, wipe it off, shines better than after I just waxed it, takes 15 mins. Thier Hydrophobic Polymer Technology is some good stuff! My boat is black, so needless to say, im anal about cleanliness.

TMCNo1
06-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Same thread, different year, month, day and was posted in yesterday, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6747 and several threads this search, http://www.google.com/cse?cx=005775850323706454504%3A8-nmuizykqo&ie=UTF-8&q=wax&sa=Search

Wkbrder
06-24-2009, 10:39 AM
What about cleaning up the seats? My boat is 15 years old and the seats could use a little color restoration. Anyone recomendations for a product that works without alot of hard scrubbing?

Gonzo
06-24-2009, 10:45 AM
What about cleaning up the seats? My boat is 15 years old and the seats could use a little color restoration. Anyone recomendations for a product that works without alot of hard scrubbing?

not sure about cleaning, I used very very diluted simple green... but warning, it will fade your interior if you use it to strong! For protectant, 303 is the best hands down IMHO

TMCNo1
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM

http://www.babesboats.com/index.php

flipper
06-24-2009, 11:15 AM
I use this for wax once a year, and babes products every time I take the boat out

http://www.autogeek.net/searchresult.html?catalog=autogeek&query=Collinite+fleetwax

mpabreo
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
303 for protectant.

I got my bucket in from MC with all their cleaning products, microfiber towels, etc havent used them yet. Can anyone comment on whether or not they are any good?

russlars
06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I use this for wax once a year, and babes products every time I take the boat out

http://www.autogeek.net/searchresult.html?catalog=autogeek&query=Collinite+fleetwax
I'll second the vote for Collinite. If you want to only wax once a year and have it last this is what you need. I am amazed at how my gelcoat still beads water at the end of the season and if you wax the bottom of the hull lake scum will wipe off with almost no effort. Great product if used with the pre-cleaner first.

93Prostar190
06-24-2009, 11:57 AM
303 for protectant.

I got my bucket in from MC with all their cleaning products, microfiber towels, etc havent used them yet. Can anyone comment on whether or not they are any good?

I have the bucketo of the MC stuff .... the glass cleaner and tower cleaner have worked great on my boat ... the rags/sponges are nice as well ...... still evaluating the wash/wax and other products.

I like the bucket!

HDAVIS
06-24-2009, 08:22 PM
I also use Meguiar'x wax for the gel coat. I recommend Fantastic to clean the seats and then use the 303 as a protectant.

A300Capt
06-30-2009, 10:36 PM
my local boat repair guy told me just to use high quality car wax but wax it alot cause it will soak it up. he said 3 or 4 times right away.

bturner2
07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
I've been using Fleet Wax for the past 5 years. Expensive but very good. Looks great and lasts a real long time.

jdhart73
04-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I looked and could not find a thread dedicated to wax brands. I have an 06 X2 and I am wanting to apply some wax to her to get ready for the season. Do you all have a recommendation? I plan on using a standard orbital buffer to apply and remove.

Thanks!
Jake

LaRue
04-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Do an online search - 'TMC Google' and you will find more info than you need. I personally use Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax (With a name like that how could a person go wrong) :rolleyes:

http://www.meguiars.com

specialk
04-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Collinite wax works well and the polish is excellent.

Kevin@MWMC
04-19-2010, 02:45 AM
Do an online search - 'TMC Google' and you will find more info than you need. I personally use Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax (With a name like that how could a person go wrong) :rolleyes:

http://www.meguiars.com

x2 on the Meguiars. That is all I ever use, boat, truck, bike, etc.

jdhart73
04-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks folks....guess I am dummmmmm. This thread got moved here to the 14 page thread about waxes....DURRRR!

kjohnson
10-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I am curious about the brand of wax anyone uses to wax their boat?

M-Funf
10-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Mr. Zog's...:idunno:

tph
10-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Klasse Wax

DooSPX
10-28-2010, 01:04 PM
there are a Ton-O-Threads regarding this... But I use Meguiars...

Lars
10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
To quote return of the pink panther...

Wax is wax!

sand2snow22
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I like these products the best. The hot sauce for wiping down after use is amazing. It cleans, removes water spots and adds wax! Pro Sauce for waxing...

http://boatbling.net/

flipper
10-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Best stuff I've found so far

bturner2
10-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Fleet Wax is great. I by the liquid version and apply it with a buffer. Great stuff, lasts a long time.

http://www.collinitemarine.com/products.htm

bturner2
10-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Opps, Flipper had it first just didn't see the name in the link.

CantRepeat
10-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Harly's Wax - Pure wax, no cleaners.

http://harlywax.com/HarlyWax/

russlars
10-28-2010, 04:08 PM
X3 on the Collinite Fleetwax. Just make sure that you use the cleaner first. Never found anything else that lasts as long.

LaRue
10-28-2010, 04:21 PM
there are a Ton-O-Threads regarding this... But I use Meguiars...

same here. Mequiars Premium Boat Wax. I have been very pleased with the results and the longevity...

macattack
12-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Just FYI...mac

Save 20% On All BABE's Products and Accessories! Use Promo Code BABES2010

Dear BABE's Customer,

Happy Holidays to you and your family. The BABE's Team had a great year of boating and providing BABE's products to all our clients. As our way of saying thank you for your loyalty to BABE's we are offering 20% off on all BABE's products and accessories purchased off our website through December 23, 2010.

http://www.babesboats.com/

dboat
12-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Lots of great input guys, thanks!