PDA

View Full Version : Salt-X vs Salt-Away: Boat, engine, trailer, brakes...

jrbrown
01-14-2006, 08:15 AM
After a forum search I found numerous favorable comments on Salt-Away http://www.salt-away.com/

I also found via Google search: Salt-X http://www.salt-x.com/

From a price per use view-point, Salt-X wins. However, performance counts. I don't see any issues using either product in the engine cooling system, the exterior engine, fiberglass, steering, etc. Questions remain:

- I would like to rig up a small garden sprayer with this stuff and spray the Tower, other exposed metal, electrical connections, and as I spray the topside fiberglass some will get on vinyl. Any issues here? I do intend to contact both companies with the same questions. Some of the answers are in their websites, some are not.

- Once I get to my location, I'm going to pull the 4 brake calipers and cap the lines. Unless someone knows a great way to spray this stuff around and into the calipers.

- Anyone have any homemade frame washdown ideas. I'm looking at doing what some have done and add a hose fitting to the trailer frame at strategic locations. Any pictures would be helpful.

- Are ther other salt removal products out there.

- Other thoughts would be great. Key West or bust! Ski/Wakeboard Hard, Die Free! :D

T Scott
01-14-2006, 08:28 AM
If your trailer is the tubed steel, it will die a slow painful death by being dipped in salt water. If you plan to use your boat in the salt, I would sell your trailer and buy a galvanized or Aluminum trailer for it. The problem with the tubed steel trailer is that there is no place for the water to drain. To that end, salt water gets trapped inside the trailer frame and begins to rust from the inside out.

jrbrown
01-14-2006, 09:28 AM
If you plan to use your boat in the salt, I would sell your trailer and buy a galvanized or Aluminum trailer for it. .

We currently rinse the trailer from the inside out via access/drain holes. However, it just slows the death from use in brackish water.

I'm leaning towards a replacement trailer. Any recommendations of Manufacturers/suppliers near MD? Should I stay with Mastercraft trailer (not a inexpensive option)?

TMCNo1
01-14-2006, 01:12 PM
We currently rinse the trailer from the inside out via access/drain holes. However, it just slows the death from use in brackish water.

I'm leaning towards a replacement trailer. Any recommendations of Manufacturers/suppliers near MD? Should I stay with Mastercraft trailer (not a inexpensive option)?
You get what you pay for!, have your MC dealer check with MC about a replacement trailer to fit your particular boat, to your specs, like galvanized, carpet color, # of axles w/ brakes, etc. I think Brenda Jones[inside sales manager] is the one that can advise them what can be built and ordered and dealer will them give you a cost, delivered to his dealership. in '03 our local dealer had a '03 trailer built to fit a '93 prostar in 5 weeks at a cost of approx. $2800 delivered, it was white/single axle w/ all the '03 std. goodies...........good luck,............later

Sodar
01-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Salt-X and Salt Terminator are inferior products to Salt Away. I bought a gallon of salt-x, but it does not foam up like the salt away.

Sodar
01-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Also, for the trailer. My buddy puts duct tape over all the drain holes on the trailer, but one. He then loads the tubes up with fresh water, lets that run out and then shoots salt-away up there. It has worked ok, he has had the trailer a few years now and the only noticable difference are where the rock nicks are, they drip rust.

I have never had any issues with salt-away on the vinyl, if it is diluted. I have seen it stain vinyl in its concetrated form.

For trailer brakes, if you have discs, just spray them off, they will be fine. If you have drums, they have a flush kit availible that you hook a garden hose to flush.

One more tip when you flush your motor, run fresh through and then your salt-product.... flushing with salt-away works much better at operating temp.

Ryan
01-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Salt-a-way is my favorite too. Although other brands may chemically work just as well, Salt-a-way seems like it works better, just because it gets rid of water spots (salt residue spots) better. I have not tried Salt-X specifically though, just Salt Terminator and some other brand from Boaters World.