PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Stickers.

M-Funf
01-13-2006, 05:39 PM
(**steps up onto soap box**)

Yesterday, I received my new CA tags for the boat.

Inside, with the tags, were two stickers with CO warnings on them. According to CA law, I am required to put one of these on the transom of the boat, and one at the helm in view of the operator. :rant:

The little brochure inside says that I'm supposed to warn everyone who gets in the boat about the dangers of CO every time I take them out.

What the hell has happened? Does somebody think that these stickers are going to change behavior? Doesn't anybody use common sense any more?

I know we had a couple of people die from teak surfing or dragging, but c'mon folks, these stickers aren't going to help...What they really need to do is require every boat owner to take a boating safety course, just like they require everyone to take driver's education.

(**steps off box**)

LakePirate
01-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Preach on brother, Preach on.

In all reality it is probably some sort of liability issue.

I.E. see McDonald's coffee cups Warning Contents Hot

So in theory if I see the sticker as I am teak surfing then I will know that it is not safe and cannot blame the State of California for not warning me. (I say this in jest)

Ryan
01-13-2006, 05:53 PM
I am pretty sure you only have to have them on your boat when you sell it.

"Assembly Bill 2222 (Koretz) requires that a set of carbon monoxide warning stickers be placed on the transom and helm of all new and used motorized vessels sold in California beginning May 1, 2005.

The Department of Boating and Waterways has coordinated with nationwide boating interests to develop a set of universal carbon monoxide decals. The Department of Motor Vehicles will send the decals and an informational brochure out with all vessel registrations for the next four years. Boat manufacturers and dealers should order decals from the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) at http://www.nmma.org/certification/publications/order.asp. Decals will also be available to order online from the DBW Website. Scroll down to the “Other” section of the publications list and look for “Carbon Monoxide Danger.” DBW provides the decal and brochures as a set."
http://dbw.ca.gov/codanger.asp

Ryan
01-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh, yeah...I don't think they made them big enough. :D

Ric
01-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Inside, with the tags, were two stickers with CO warnings on them. According to CA law, I am required to put one of these on the transom of the boat, and one at the helm in view of the operator. :rant:

The little brochure inside says that I'm supposed to warn everyone who gets in the boat about the dangers of CO every time I take them out.

What the hell has happened? Does somebody think that these stickers are going to change behavior? Doesn't anybody use common sense any more?

I know we had a couple of people die from teak surfing or dragging, but c'mon folks, these stickers aren't going to help...What they really need to do is require every boat owner to take a boating safety course, just like they require everyone to take driver's education.

(**steps off box**)
there's an old salty marina on the bay here that the last direct drive inboard they've seen was a shrimp boat and it has a uscg poster with the pic of the rear of a yellow bu and warning of CO dangers........ in the crapper of all places :noface:

M-Funf
01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I am pretty sure you only have to have them on your boat when you sell it.

I'll look again tonight, but I'm pretty sure that it says on the back of the sticker that California Law REQUIRES that the stickers be put on the boat...I could have read it wrong...I did have a martini..........well, maybe two...before I opened the mail.

rodltg2
01-13-2006, 06:04 PM
i think you have to put it on now, i got one too but my boat already came wiht a bunch of warning stickers.

M-Funf
01-13-2006, 06:06 PM
i think you have to put it on now

I'm not puttin' it on :noface:

jmyers
01-13-2006, 06:07 PM
I'll look again tonight, but I'm pretty sure that it says on the back of the sticker that California Law REQUIRES that the stickers be put on the boat...I could have read it wrong...I did have a martini..........well, maybe two...before I opened the mail.
I didn't get any with my tags for either boat!~ My new one also has them on already I think, but the other boat didn't! :confused:

Ryan
01-13-2006, 06:44 PM
To error on the side of caution may save some $.

If it's cold, or my battery is low I (at times) leave the engine running and pull the pin to disengage the transmission while I or someone else is on the swim platform. I see now it can be a quick way to lose $100. ...Heading to the garage to charge my battery.

88 PS190
01-13-2006, 06:46 PM
maybe if your boat is old enough you can try to play it off as a classic, and not mount it. Imagine someone sticking one on the back of an old chris craft... funny.

aren't warning stickers kinda anti-darwin. Shouldn't the absense of stickers promote the reduction of those who inhibit our species survival... just a thought.

rodltg2
01-13-2006, 06:50 PM
just carry it wiht yor reg. and then you cn at least put it on of you get hasslled by the man

jimmer2880
01-13-2006, 07:22 PM
My next boat will be "caution sticker yellow". At least then, all the stickers will just "blend":steering:

Sodar
01-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I threw my stickers in the trash! I understand the life jackets, flares, throw cushion, flag, fire extinguisher, etc., etc., etc... but come on! A few guys are dumbasses out at the Colorado river for a weekend and are teak surfing for an hour and pass out. What are they going to send out next and force us to stick on our boats?

Pretty soon our gorgeous boats are gunna look like the bumper of a come to jesus, love your neighbor, peace activist's car!

All I gotta say is "Only in California"!!

milkmania
01-13-2006, 10:43 PM

(**steps off box**)

I lost a friend about a year and a half ago to CO poisoning....and I realize it was his fault.
He was just starting a business where he toured the rodeo circuit with a Watusi steer for photograph promotions. he came back in from a tour, and decided he needed a portable generator to run things inside a horse trailer/camper type fifth wheel.
What I'll never understand is why he decided to run the generator inside the animal portion of the fifth wheel.

milkmania
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
found an actual pic of his truck & trailer

Sodar
01-14-2006, 01:41 AM
I just checked, Assembly Bill 2222 (Koretz) requires that a set of carbon monoxide warning stickers be placed on the transom and helm of all new and used motorized vessels sold in California beginning May 1, 2005.

quincyfirefighter
01-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Went in to the DMV in town to pay for my registration on the boat, had herd about this before I went in to pay but all they give me was the registration stickers. O-well if the DMV offices don't know then what :confused: