PDA

View Full Version : Power Load?

86Craft
09-13-2004, 01:16 PM
:steering: I was given a 60-dollar ticket yesterday by the local pork producers for power loading my boat. If any of you have ever used the eighties style trailer with the latch bar, would you agree that there is no other way? I did not get up far enough on my first try, so I had to get into reverse heavy to get off the trailer. My wife thinks this is what he got excited about. Is there a law against power unloading? The great thing is a bass tournament was letting out, and every single one-man bass boat power loaded. He knew where to pick his fight, 50 bass fishermen weighing out fish or an out of state ski family. Anybody else have a problem like this? :popcorn:

BobL
09-13-2004, 01:24 PM
I know that our local "officers" give out tickest for power loading.
So I guess that there is a law in Wisconsin. Our Ski Team Drivers get warnings all the time, and they are the most professional drivers around. In/out over 18 times a week.

sfitzgerald351
09-13-2004, 01:45 PM
The ramp near me says to not power load, but with my 1984 there is simply no other way. I've looked into mounting a winch level with the bow eye, but the tongue on the trailer is so short I'd probably have clearance issues with the spare tire on the back of my Bronco. So power loading is the only way to go. I find that the older trailers are easy to load on a not so steep ramp. The boat generally will stop where it should and can be easily latched. But the lake I usually visit is REALLY STEEP (like 3x the angle of any other launch ramp I've ever seen) so in order to get the boat on the trailer I have to really gun it. It's ugly but works. It also requires my fiance to 'catch' the boat with the latch bar since we've found the best thing to do is to overshoot the latch bar slightly and then let up on the gas to let the boat slide back an inch or two. I'm going to get a boat buddy in the next year or two when I get around to refurbing my trailer. It'll make power loads a one shot affair, but won't keep you from doing it.

ski_king
09-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Power loading is the only way I have ever loaded my 82. I didnt even realize it wasnt allowed at some locations until now.

The concrete on my ramp ends at the water line and the bottom is river gravel and sand. Power loading does wash out the gravel. I have to be carefull to keep the trailer centered on the ramp or one side will sit about a foot higher than the other, which makes it close to impossible to load.

To go a step beyond power loading, I know somebody who uses a weak 4 cylinder car. Once they get the boat on the trailer and tied down, they use boat power to get the car moving up the ramp. From what I have seen, it takes good timing between the boat and car drivers.

Footin
09-13-2004, 02:22 PM
I can't believe they would actually take the time to write a ticket for this. I have power loaded my MC's for the last ten years and have never even had a second look from anyone.
I guess they have too much time and too much authority.

east tx skier
09-13-2004, 03:39 PM
I've never seen a ramp or a lake around here with rules against this. I do it regularly.

tph
09-13-2004, 04:18 PM
I've always power loaded as well. Actually, my wife has...I guess she'll get the ticket.....Oh.....that would be a bad thing...

Tom Wortham
09-13-2004, 04:32 PM
It's the only way I have loaded my '86. NEVER heard of the term "power loading" until today. Not an issue in Texas. Must be a Nothern issue.

tex
09-13-2004, 04:44 PM
That's sorry! Shi%ty, and sorry!

Dan K
09-13-2004, 04:48 PM
The ramp I usually use actually has a upright rubber strip partway down to prevent washing out from power loading. yet they have a sign that says no powerloading. :uglyhamme

Footin
09-13-2004, 04:51 PM
The older Correct Crafts do not have a winch, they pull up on the trailer and tighten a turn buckle. How are these guys suppose to load with out the dreaded powerload.

Ric
09-13-2004, 05:05 PM
Geeeeeez $60 ? I've Never even heard of it. Move to Texas: warm weather, we don't have state income tax or sillyass boatramp rules!

Tom Wortham
09-13-2004, 05:12 PM
I second that Ric :toast:

paulphillipson
09-13-2004, 06:08 PM
I have also never heard the term "power load" until today. I've been doing it with Nautiques and MC's for nearly thirty years all over the West with no hassles. The real question is "How do you use a Boat Buddy, if you don't drive the boat onto the trailer?"

east tx skier
09-13-2004, 06:11 PM
I'd never heard of the issues with it either until a few months ago. Apparently, it washes out the mud, soil, whatever at the edge of the ramp and builds it up further back or something. Somebody actually put a picture of what can happen on the old board at some point. Wish I could remember where it was and I'd post a link. Doesn't seem to be an issue anywhere I put in though.

soacj
09-13-2004, 06:35 PM
They don't call them "drive on" trailers for nothing :D . We had a Nautique for years w/o a trailer winch. Doesn't really take much throttle if the trailer is at the correct depth.

I suppose I can see where this would cause an issue over time...Like others, this is the first time I've heard of such a thing or the term "power load".

Jay

H20skeefreek
09-13-2004, 07:22 PM
same here, first i've heard the term. if the people puting in the ramp would pour the concrete out far enough it wouldn't be an issue.

Bottom line is at least 30-40 percent of the regular posters on here have older boats. Most of us probably have the "stupid-bar" trailer system. We don't have any other way.

lakes Rick
09-13-2004, 08:28 PM
I can't believe they would actually take the time to write a ticket for this. I have power loaded my MC's for the last ten years and have never even had a second look from anyone.
I guess they have too much time and too much authority.

Well personally the boat ramp is where we all have to go at the end of the day, and what a place to catch fish... I see the cops there with breathalyzers making people blow as the come in.. They are not taking time to write these, the ramp is where the money is at....

jimmer2880
09-14-2004, 07:52 AM
My friend has a bar-system on his Fightcraft. That thing stinks. Anyway... We loaded his boat the normal way. Then - up on dry-land - we marked his winch cable where it started to make contact with the spool. Now - when he loads - he hooks up the cable & safety cable & pulls out. Once off of the ramp, he un-hooks everything & hooks up his bar & re-hooks his winch & safety. It's a bit of a pain, but it's easier than trying to catch that stupid bar while loading.

H20skeefreek
09-14-2004, 08:10 AM
My friend has a bar-system on his Fightcraft. That thing stinks. Anyway... We loaded his boat the normal way. Then - up on dry-land - we marked his winch cable where it started to make contact with the spool. Now - when he loads - he hooks up the cable & safety cable & pulls out. Once off of the ramp, he un-hooks everything & hooks up his bar & re-hooks his winch & safety. It's a bit of a pain, but it's easier than trying to catch that stupid bar while loading.

this must be a different setup than on a MC. Do you have any pictures of his setup. On the MC bar setup, you cannot winch in at all. the winch pulls down against the bow stop. I need to design a winch post to change this.

jimmer2880
09-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Can you pls post yours also? I'll try to get a pic of his, but it'll take a while. It's actually my ex-brother-in-law. We still ski together, but with the hurricane coming - he just took his boat home.

CTPJ
09-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Everyone at our lake powerload (new term to me too). Hell, I live in the South. We are all a bunch of bass fishing, PBR drinking rednecks. So I guess that it's just the "come-heres" from the North that winch their boats on their trailer :steering:

MarkP
09-14-2004, 12:30 PM
New to me too.

I only powerload

NeilM
09-14-2004, 10:25 PM
... Somebody actually put a picture of what can happen on the old board at some point. Wish I could remember where it was and I'd post a link....
Doug, I remember that post, too. I think the issue was that over time, the prop wash would move all the gravel out from under the concrete ramp, causing it to break - kinda like hydraulic mining, I suppose. Never heard of the issue up here.

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 11:25 PM
My memory fades, but I thought the effect was more like creating a large mound of lake bottom that people would hit? Can't remember. Someone will 'xplain things if we keep this post on the radar.

86Craft
09-15-2004, 09:06 AM
In this :worthy: Michigan DNR site, it has a animation on the left side that shows the affects of powerloading. What do you think?http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS/ (http://)

ski_king
09-15-2004, 09:43 AM
I guess I can see there point about undermining the concrete. But there are ways to extend the concrete out further. I have seen slabs poured and then slid out to extend the ramp.

As I see it, most boats over 19 ft. or 2000 lb. can be difficult or next to imposible to load without "powerloading" them.

Tom Wortham
09-15-2004, 01:23 PM
:steering: I was given a 60-dollar ticket yesterday by the local pork producers for power loading my boat. If any of you have ever used the eighties style trailer with the latch bar, would you agree that there is no other way? I did not get up far enough on my first try, so I had to get into reverse heavy to get off the trailer. My wife thinks this is what he got excited about. Is there a law against power unloading? The great thing is a bass tournament was letting out, and every single one-man bass boat power loaded. He knew where to pick his fight, 50 bass fishermen weighing out fish or an out of state ski family. Anybody else have a problem like this? :popcorn:

86Craft, Curious to know if they are passing out tickets for Jet Skis. I would think if the ramp is that steep... they would/could power load as well. You might have to make a presence in court for this one. Might make you feel a little better. There was an ol' cowboy cop passing out tickets the first day of July. (Common time for Trailers to expire the end of June.) If you didn't have your "sticker" on your trailer, you got a ticket. :eek: I bet he wrote over 50 tickets that day. I was one of MANY in the court room explaining to the judge my case. Judge was a young guy and said when I went up to the bench... "Ahhhh I see you have met the boat ramp cop". He reduced the fine and I just paid the "court cost". :twocents:

brianaw26
05-25-2006, 01:36 PM
This is what happens. after enough soil is gone the bottom of the ramp breaks. It also makes a mound of dirt as east said.

man i pulled this post from the dead

how about those paint skills
http://www.shadetreevettes.com/images/brian/boatramp.jpg

ajgressette
05-25-2006, 02:24 PM
I have never heard of anything like this until today. I'm glad we have our own ramp or I would have been put under the jail house long ago! :D

Ric
05-25-2006, 02:41 PM
This is what happens. after enough soil is gone the bottom of the ramp breaks. It also makes a mound of dirt as east said.

man i pulled this post from the dead

how about those paint skills
http://www.shadetreevettes.com/images/brian/boatramp.jpg
Brian you have skillz

while I'd never heard of powerloading rules til this thread, our ramp has the washout sketched above!

captain planet
05-25-2006, 03:07 PM
I have never heard of that term until today or seen that wonderful sketch, but man, talk about digging a thread up from the dead. September of 04.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Brian, your going places with that art! :D Right up there wiht the ranks of Picasso, DaVinci, and that guy that painted the Grim Reaper on the back of his hearse. :toast: YOu obviously spent some time watching that guy with the big afro on public TV painting the "Happy trees" 8p

Ryan
05-25-2006, 03:18 PM
I have never heard of that term until today or seen that wonderful sketch, but man, talk about digging a thread up from the dead. September of 04.

Hey, the arc in those vortex arrows takes some time to get them right. :D

jraben8
05-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Great picture and to be completely honest, I don't remember the last time I didn't "power load" the boat onto the trailer. I'm thinking about 25 years ago. That's when my family owned our first inboard - '80 Ski Supreme that had the latch bar that the MC's are so infamous for.

Kevin 89MC
05-25-2006, 04:21 PM
This has been discussed in other threads too. At our site, so much powerloading has caused a big pile of gravel that we were all backing into when launching. We're "not allowed to" anymore, but there are a few that still do. One Natique guy says he has no choice - he has no winch at all, just a chain to hold it in place. I think he could just lower the trailer all the way in! Winching it up does suck, even with the Boat Buddy. I had to winch it up once with the "bar" - that really sucked.

ridehype4life
05-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Boat delivered last weekend..... Dealer taught us how to powerload it :cool:

stumbledog
05-25-2006, 05:34 PM
http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS/

Here is a link to Michigan DNR site that has a demo of what happens to the ramp when power loading. Power Loading is prohibited.

Last year when I pulled out of the water at Wamplers Lake, there were 3 DNR yahoos with binoculars checking everyone out as they pulled out. They were mostly harassing PWC wallys, but still looing for ways to generate that revenus.

stumbledog
05-25-2006, 05:35 PM
http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS/

Here is a link to Michigan DNR site that has a demo of what happens to the ramp when power loading. Power Loading is prohibited.

Last year when I pulled out of the water at Wamplers Lake, there were 3 DNR yahoos with binoculars checking everyone out as they pulled out. They were mostly harassing PWC wallys, but still looing for ways to generate that revenue.

86Craft
05-25-2006, 06:34 PM
I have heard that about Wamplers Lake. You do not want to load from 4:00 to 6:00. I guess after that they load and go home.

88 PS190
05-25-2006, 06:38 PM
we now load and unload at night, that bow thing is a nightmare, soon I plan on getting the trailer refurbished and will relocated the bow winch to be level with the bow eye or an inch or so higher than level, as is winching is counter productive as the winch pulls the boat into the front v-block and it jams like a bad turd.