PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard questions for a maybe beginner

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-13-2006, 01:54 PM
One of my ski buddies and I are kicking around the idea of trying wakeboarding next summer. We thougth it might be fun to learn something new, and have something fun to supplement slalom skiing. SO we were thinking of going in together and splitting the cost of a wakeboard. We know NOTHING about it. My questions are this:

1. what type/model/brand of wake board do you recommend for beginners? we are loooking for recreational boarding. No radical tricks. just fun.

2. What type of bindings? Keep in mind the bindings should fit my feet and his. 10 to 12 size. so we would like adjustable bindings to fit various feet sizes.

3. How much should we spend? I was hoping on limiting it to $300 if its possible. We could buy a blem or last years model if we can save a buck.

4. What speed should we tow? keep in mind the boat is a 1991 prostar. we arent looking to do radical tricks, just basic boarding for fun.

5. We are open to any suggestions, advice, or ideas you have to offer about all aspects of wakeboarding as we know nothing about it. we are "old timers" at age 34 that have only slalom skied. :D

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!! :D

UMP

jayocheskey
01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
The most important thing in this set up will be your bindings. You'll probably want a front lace binding since it will be for two different foot sizes. The front lace bindings offer a slightly wider range of sizes. The rear lace bindings are more set plus or minus a size.

No matter what you are doing, you don't want to have bindings that are too large or too small. Finding the happy medium will be the toughest thing.

As for boards, there are many good boards to choose from. The best, IMO, Parks. I ride the 138 and my younger brother rides the 143. Hyperlite boards can't be beat in quality and design; though they may be a little out of your original price range. CHECK EBAY.

wesgardner
01-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey Old Timer,

At age 53, I'll be nailing my first invert next season, I've been riding for four years. E-bay can be your friend for a board...maybe a Hyperlite Motive or similar.

Boarding is much slower than skiing - you'll ride probably no faster than 23 once you've developed the feel and want to start jumping. To learn basic carving and surface tricks, maybe go as slow as 15 - 18. You'll want a no stretch Spectra mainline, you can use your existing handle. Rope length depends on wake and speed, you can start as short as 50' - this will make jumping wake to wake easier to learn. Maybe check out wakeboarder.com and go to some of the "how to" sections. Alotta online shops offer boardfinders to determine what length you need. Bindings - you'll want some that are comfortable - try them and buy them at a local shop. Your "all up" cost might be a bit more than $300...

Here's a bit about board shape, etc...

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_rocker

Good luck - you'll hear all kinds of stuff about pylons/towers...we're throwing backrolls, tantrums, scarrows, 360's, etc - I have no tower...yet. So for your first season, focus on riding the board both regular and switch.

Wes

Scot
01-13-2006, 02:24 PM
I am a novice , even though I've been able to to wakeboard for 5 or so years. I would recommend getting this DVD.... I have the second DVD of the set and it has opened my eyes to the "what the hecks" involved with WB'ing.... I got it at the end of last season and can't wait to get out practice some of the lessons. If you don't have a tower or a pylon, I would recommend you getting one because it will limit your advancement... (I am walking proof.... don't have one)

http://www.thebookdvd.com/

RE:Bindings.... Just make sure they are not too small. Mine are too small and they kill me! I will be watching for the recommendations from our pros as well....

jayocheskey
01-13-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm 25 now and have only been wakeboarding for 3 years. I was a slalom-skier only before that. WARNING -- I now rarely break out the slalom and have converted several of my slalom buddies to the "wake-side." Like anything else new and exciting -- IT'S AN ADDICITON.

For beginners, I would suggest towing at 18-20mph. Get used to riding with your feet perpendicular to the wake - it takes some adjusting, but if you can slalom - you can wakeboard. Not necessarily like the pros, but you'll be able to get up and work you way around the wake.

rodltg2
01-13-2006, 03:17 PM
i suggest starting out on a skurfer. i had to dammit so should evryone else.

jayocheskey
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
i suggest starting out on a skurfer. i had to dammit so should evryone else.

I laughed out loud when I read this.

Leroy
01-13-2006, 04:17 PM
UMP; PM Hoosier Bob, he has a board that he is selling. I rode it last year and liked his better than mine! If you don't take the whole board, I have dibs on the bindings!

Leroy
01-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey UMP; for a second board get a skurfer it's great fun watching the newbs! :uglyhamme

JK Rod!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-13-2006, 05:24 PM
here comes a dumb question.......whats a skurfer? :confused: :o

milkmania
01-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I am a novice , even though I've been able to to wakeboard for 5 or so years. I would recommend getting this DVD.... I have the second DVD of the set and it has opened my eyes to the "what the hecks" involved with WB'ing.... I got it at the end of last season and can't wait to get out practice some of the lessons. If you don't have a tower or a pylon, I would recommend you getting one because it will limit your advancement... (I am walking proof.... don't have one)

http://www.thebookdvd.com/

RE:Bindings.... Just make sure they are not too small. Mine are too small and they kill me! I will be watching for the recommendations from our pros as well....

ordered, but I don't like the fact that they used all my Visa debit through PayPal.... if I had wanted PayPal to have any of my information....I would have given it to them!
I'll be keeping an extra close eye of this transaction and any possible future developments:cool:

rodltg2
01-13-2006, 09:41 PM
this is a skurfer

Footin
01-13-2006, 09:45 PM
this is a skurfer

I use to have one of those.

X2M
01-13-2006, 11:06 PM
this is a skurfer

My brother-in-law rides one of those. Funny thing to watch. He has tried a wakeboard but continues to ride the skurfer...he claims it is easier. :rolleyes:

88 PS190
01-13-2006, 11:09 PM
that plus an old school wetsuit, a headband, and a bulky nylon vest and we can all go back 15 years.

JohnnyB
01-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Old school wetsuit means it has to have at least two of the following colors:

Day-glo green
Day-glo orange
Day-glo pink
Purple

Back in my day...... :cool:

JohnnyB
01-13-2006, 11:45 PM
My nephew was heavy into wakeboarding....he was an awesome free slalom skiier prior to that. Last summer I taught him to barefoot and introduced him to the slalom course.....I think his board was out twice :D

rem_pss308
01-14-2006, 12:53 AM
1. what type/model/brand of wake board do you recommend for beginners? we are loooking for recreational boarding. No radical tricks. just fun.
If you have a pro shop close by, they can give you lots of information, and maybe have demo boards.

2. What type of bindings? Keep in mind the bindings should fit my feet and his. 10 to 12 size. so we would like adjustable bindings to fit various feet sizes.
Different company's size vary. You will have to try them on. ( Pro Shop )

3. How much should we spend? I was hoping on limiting it to $300 if its possible. We could buy a blem or last years model if we can save a buck. After you decide which equipment you want. I would highly suggest e-bay. You can get last years model, for half the price. For a high end board, and bindings, on e-bay. it is possible to get them for $300.00 total

4. What speed should we tow? keep in mind the boat is a 1991 prostar. we arent looking to do radical tricks, just basic boarding for fun. You should start out at about 19-20 MPH. at about 60-65 feet.( total length ) Not 60' out after learning how to get up, and learn to move around, you might try adding a little weight in the rear. ( couple of fat chicks )

5. We are open to any suggestions, advice, or ideas you have to offer about all aspects of wakeboarding as we know nothing about it. we are "old timers" at age 34 that have only slalom skied. :D The video tape ( higher education ) would be a great asset. SOld at Overtons, and buywake.com, or wakeside.com

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!! :D

UMP[/QUOTE]

Eagle
01-14-2006, 01:23 AM
If you have a pro shop close by, they can give you lots of information, and maybe have demo boards.

After you decide which equipment you want. I would highly suggest e-bay. You can get last years model, for half the price. For a high end board, and bindings, on e-bay. it is possible to get them for $300.00 total
I agree with most of what you said. Except for me, if I'm going to go to a pro shop, spend a lot of time getting information and their recommendations, perhaps even demo some boards, I owe it to them to buy from them rather than from some Internet place. I like supporting my pro shop when I can. I buy a lot of stuff from the Internet, too, but when I've done my own research.

RexDog1
01-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree go find a pro shop that you like, talk to them
Most good pro shops have a rental to buy program
And donít get to bogged down with the buzz words
Like Vented Rails and Subtle Three-Stage Rocker and so on
Try different boards find the one YOU feel convertible with
Bindings, well you need to try on, as many as you can, all feet are different
I am a firm believer in finding the right binding that fits your foot
That is so importation in Wakeboarding
Get a DVD that will help you get started when you are in the water
I am a skier that got into wakeboarding 4 years ago I love it
Now that I am getting older (43) wakeboarding is a fun change :twocents:
:friday:

JohnnyB
01-14-2006, 09:29 PM
My nephew was heavy into wakeboarding....he was an awesome free slalom skiier prior to that. Last summer I taught him to barefoot and introduced him to the slalom course.....I think his board was out twice :D

Wakeboarding is a good change-up from footin' and slaloming.....when the lake is a bit choppy, boarding seems to be a bit more forgiving of the conditiions.

If you plan to use an extended pylon and haven't used one on your boat to date, it is worth lifting the floor access around your pylon and tightening the u-bolts that hold it in place and the bolts that hold the 3" angle to the stringers. The first time I used mine, it was moving about 3-5" back and forth :eek: Tightening everything up remedied it to a reasonable amount of movement.

Kevin 89MC
01-16-2006, 11:37 AM
UMP, I started wakeboarding behind my 190 about 5-6 years ago. Can't remember what board I got, but was a good one (a wakeboard buddy tried it and said so), I paid $350 with nice bindings. They're probably much better now. I got an extended pylon, and that helped quite a bit. My boat throws no wake at all, at least at 20-21 mph. I added a few fat sacks, and that helped some, but it's just not set up for boarding. I've also tried it behind a '99 190 (no ballast), and that was worse. Your boat will probably be similar. I rode behind a wakeboard boat once and just about hit the moon on that wake! I think the key is enough ballast. Boarding is really fun, but it will always be second to slaloming for me. Good luck,
Kevin