PDA

View Full Version : curious

milkmania
01-13-2006, 12:36 AM
I was looking at some pictures of New Orleans and kept seeing the X with figures written in each open space...
I know it is to show the residence has been searched, but can anyone give be reliable information what each open space indicates?

milkmania
01-13-2006, 12:38 AM
guessing three residences here?

erkoehler
01-13-2006, 12:59 AM
When a team goes into the house, they paint one diagonal of the X, and where the northern quadrant would be, they put the date, and in the western quadrant, they put some indication of who searched it. So in the picture above, the team that did the purple X entered on September 10, and was from the DEA (I don't think the drug enforcement agency, there is some other DEA involved). After they're done searching, they put the other diagonal of the X. They fill in the southern quadrant with any people they found, living or dead (here they found nobody), and the eastern quadrant with any hazards that future teams should be aware of (such as unstable stairwells, missing floors, etc.)

For the small houses like this, they probably just painted the whole thing all at once. When you're searching a large structure like an office building, you do the one diagonal going in, one diagonal going out, and you'd also put time in and time out in the north quadrant. That way if the SAR team itself gets in some kind of trouble in the building, the marking on the outside of the building lets other searchers know that there is still a team inside, possibly needing rescue themselves.

The team that made the orange markings put "NE" in the hazards quadrant, which I think means "No entry". This may have been a preliminary search team that was looking for survivors, banging on doors and looking in windows but not going inside. The second team came through at a later date during a more thorough search and likely broke into the house to look in the attic, look under furniture.

http://www.moronosphere.com/rayinaustin/archives/search_and_rescue_markings_explained.php

erkoehler
01-13-2006, 01:01 AM
guessing three residences here?

Each of those X's is a different search. So, that house was searched on 9/19 by the DEA, FLA, and someone else can't make it out, there were no injuries and there are no hazards in the building.

milkmania
01-13-2006, 01:02 AM
wow, thanks:headbang:

erkoehler
01-13-2006, 01:12 AM
Was that a meaningful enough post for you guys? ;)

milkmania
01-13-2006, 01:20 AM
you bet!
I can sleep better now knowing this:)

twieder
01-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Hay I learned somethin if noone else did.I remember seein those markings on houses, but now I know what they mean!

sizzler
01-13-2006, 03:30 AM
eric...i think you just came of age :D

Cloaked
01-13-2006, 07:49 AM
wow, thanks:headbang:Were you planning on moving there, and to pick your decor from the Xs?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-13-2006, 09:44 AM
I guess you earned your 1% of your posts now.
I guess that public edumacatciun paid off...;)

Now, for the hard politically incorrect question, Who has to clean off all the spray paint?!?!?

milkmania
01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Now, for the hard politically incorrect question, Who has to clean off all the spray paint?!?!?

from what I saw on the news, just wait 4 months, and they'll take care of it for you:eek:http://www.jpower.net/bulldozer.jpg

erkoehler
01-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Has anyone else heard that there are some neighborhoods in which the government is not going to allow people to return?

pilot02
01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Has anyone else heard that there are some neighborhoods in which the government is not going to allow people to return?

It's still up in the air. The city wants to allow everyone to rebuild but the feds hold the purse strings so neighborhoods that were in the lower areas likely will not be rebuilt, at least, not initially.

Ric
01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
still wondering where the ten thousand bodies they were going to find are??