PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Key West....what now for my boat?

jrbrown
01-12-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm going to be stationed in Key West for about 2 years. I've got a 2004 210 that we currently use in Brackish water. It's on its trailer at the end of the day and gets a freshwater run for 15' and gets wiped down. It still looks brand new. There was only one issue so far and it was the heater core, but the company sent a much more robust unit.

I've had a number of folks tell me that they have skied in Key West before, but I've found no Mastercraft (or dedicated ski boat) owners. They did it all close to shore and each day they new where the wind was coming from and they would go to the other side of the island and near-glass or glass was not uncommon. Any Key West Mastercraft owners out there. Am I crazy?

I'm thinking of having a closed cooling system installed, but I still have to fresh water run the system after each use.

Thoughts Please?! Otherwise, it either gets used (abused?), goes into storage or gets sold :mad:

I may also call the MC engineers that worked the saltwater variant and see what else I should consider, or if it is even do-able.

LakePirate
01-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm going to be stationed in Key West for about 2 years.

That really sucks.......Who did you pi$$ off?

milkmania
01-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm going to be stationed in Key West for about 2 years. I've got a 2004 210 that we currently use in Brackish water. It's on its trailer at the end of the day and gets a freshwater run for 15' and gets wiped down. It still looks brand new. There was only one issue so far and it was the heater core, but the company sent a much more robust unit.

I've had a number of folks tell me that they have skied in Key West before, but I've found no Mastercraft (or dedicated ski boat) owners. They did it all close to shore and each day they new where the wind was coming from and they would go to the other side of the island and near-glass or glass was not uncommon. Any Key West Mastercraft owners out there. Am I crazy?

I'm thinking of having a closed cooling system installed, but I still have to fresh water run the system after each use.

Thoughts Please?! Otherwise, it either gets used (abused?), goes into storage or gets sold :mad:

I may also call the MC engineers that worked the saltwater variant and see what else I should consider, or if it is even do-able.

mastercraft search for Key West shows Jim @ Bay Area Watersports is your man!!!

(http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=FindDealerSubmit)

BriEOD
01-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Where in Southern Maryland are you stationed. If you say Indian Head I'll sh*t.

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 10:06 PM
:worthy: :worthy:

BriEOD
01-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I completely disagree with everything erkle just said. When I was stationed in Hawaii the ski club there ran inboards everyday in the ocean. Their are a few things you can do:

1. Look into adding a closed circuit cooling system: Link (http://i-netmarine.com/fwc/fresh.htm)
2. If you haven't already look into getting a galvanized trailer. That salt water is going to destory a steel trailer, fast.
3. Be anal about cleaning

You're in brackish water now so you know what your getting into.

That said, if you are in brackish water and in S. MD you must be in Severna Park, maybe working in Annapolis?

BriEOD
01-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Additionally, you have to think about the sun. It is HOT down there, and the sun is BRIGHT. That will fade your colors on the gel coat, eat away at your seats, and give you a nasty sun burn if your not careful.

Ok, so how do you account for the thousands of boats in the Keys that have gel coat and interiors that hold up year in and year out. Their are boats like that in the Keys, ya know. Use that thing sitting about your shoulders.

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 10:21 PM
:huh: :huh:

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 10:22 PM
:guitar: :guitar:

BriEOD
01-12-2006, 10:34 PM
No, that's not what you said and I quote: "Additionally, you have to think about the sun. It is HOT down there, and the sun is BRIGHT. That will fade your colors on the gel coat, eat away at your seats, and give you a nasty sun burn if your not careful."

First, you're talking about the sun. I got news for you the sun will do that to a boat in Alaska if you don't take care of it.

Second, their are a pleothra of runabouts: sea rays, bayliners, maxums, crownlines, etc, etc that have carpet and similar interiors that utilize the salt waters of the Florida peninsula. Yes, salt and sun are potentially hazardous to any boat. But, their are many, many well maintained boats with permanent upholestry and even a gel coat (amazing). They don't make some special model boat just for people in the Florida Keys Eric. Trust me my in-laws have a summer home on Big Pine Key and I've spent lots of time there. Their are lots and lots of boats there.

Would I go right out and buy a "ski boat" for that area, no. But, a MariStar should be Ok with some proper maintenance and preventitive steps.

Dude, you don't know what you're talking about and you jacked this poor man's thread with your ignorance.

Farmer Ted
01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Ok, so how do you account for the thousands of boats in the Keys that have gel coat and interiors that hold up year in and year out. Their are boats like that in the Keys, ya know. Use that thing sitting about your shoulders.

Vast right wing conspiracy

Jim@BAWS
01-12-2006, 10:38 PM
The choice is clear...
MasterCraft's all NEW SALT WATER SERIES OF BOATS

Maristar 200 (X-2) 1 on order
Maristar 215 (X-15) 1 on order
Maristar 230 (X-30) 1 in stock
SaltWater X-star
Maristar 245 (X-45) 2 in stock
Maristar 280 (X-80)

Salt Water options include 100% Closed cooled Crusader Motors with High mount starters, alternators, composite motor mounts, special engien coatings, hydraulic steering, removable carpet,scuppered interiors, stainless steel seat shocks, tin wiring cs. copper with special wiringh harnesses and connectors, scraficial zincs and annodes, galvinized trailers. Any of the fleet would fit your needs, and by the way...you can use them in fresh water also.

A trully validated product...not just a bunch of after market parts thrown on the boat to say it is ready for sale.

Our SaltWater Series has been trully validated.
Call me or email me jim.baws@verizon.net

Take your pick.

I can send out a saltwater series brochure if needed.

Thanks
Jim

mastercraft search for Key West shows Jim @ Bay Area Watersports is your man!!!

(http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=FindDealerSubmit)

BriEOD
01-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Vast right wing conspiracy
Must be divine intervention. :rolleyes:

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 10:43 PM
:steering:

BriEOD
01-12-2006, 10:58 PM
The choice is clear...
MasterCraft's all NEW SALT WATER SERIES OF BOATS

Gosh Jim, he wouldn't want to do that. I mean the Key West sun will destroy that MC gel coat and salt might get into the seams of the MC upholestry and MC carpet. He'll have to trade it in after 2 years. :rolleyes:

Farmer Ted
01-12-2006, 11:05 PM
I pointed out alot of valid issues that can occur to a boat in the Keys, many people will agree that a MasterCraft will take a beating in the Keys.

You jacked the thread by going off on a rant how I was completely wrong.

Let's get one thing straight Pal, I jacked the thread.

Kirk Ferentz is an awesome coach and those homos in Texas or Green Bay aren't going to steal him away from my beloved Hawkeyes.

Now you may continue with your vague generalizations regarding the potential damage the salty environment of the Florida Keys will have on a Mastercraft.

One could say that your post offers the proof that Ski Nautiques are in fact an inferior boat due to their inability to withstand the weather down there.

Now you're going to get George all pissed because he jumped ship (literally and figuratively) to the dark side, which reminds me is that last or should I say latest Star Wars movie any good?

Reminds of this one time in the PI when I had the opportunity for a three way but didn't have enough money to cover the bar fine for three LBFMs so I only chitted out two but that's kind of getting off track here.

So in closing I'd like to add that once again....

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL ROCKS!

whitedog
01-12-2006, 11:57 PM
right on farmer :uglyhamme

bcampbe7
01-13-2006, 12:04 AM
Could you Waxoyl (sp?) the engine and other components to keep corrosion to a minimum?

shepherd
01-13-2006, 12:19 AM
My advice for what it's worth:

Put the MC in storage (my father lives on the water in St. Mary's County and can probably squeeeeeeeze one more boat in his yard :rolleyes: ). Buy a used 17'+ center console boat with swim platform. Go fishing and diving for two years. When you get re-assigned to someplace North, sell the center console boat and pull the MC out of storage.

Of course, Jim@BAWS has a great idea, if you can afford it.

Oh yeah, I'm betting he's at Pax River...

Sodar
01-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Living about three blocks from the ocean, we have several tournament boats around me that get salt baths on a regular basis. I dumped my boat into the salt for about a year after I bought it. I have an LT-1, so I was told that I needed to put closed cooling on it because the aluminum and cast iron would weld together through galvanic corrosion. I installed the system myself and it is very straight forward. As for maintenance, I found that WD-40, grease and Salt-Away engine flush were my best friends. Every steel metal part that you see on your boat from seat slides to battery terminals, spray WD-40 on. As for the interior, i used to spray it out, soap it and let it dry out. I would flush the motor with Salt-Away... if anyone says that this product does not work, they are crazy. I flushed out our outboard powered center console with this stuff after using fresh water and salt chunks the size of coffee beans came out of the motor. The only thing I could not keep up on was the boxed frame trailer. I tried flushing the channels out with freshwater, but to no avail I got rust. Needless to say, I stopped using the boat in salt because I did not have the time for the ritualistic cleaning after each use. If you have any questions though, Ryan, on the board uses his boat in salt primarily and i am sure he can add even more helpful tips.

So, bottom line, with a little maintenance the boat will be fine. As for the trailer, consider yours trash after 2 years of salt use if it is painted steel, if it is galvanized or aluminum you will be just fine.

Hope this helps, and enjoy... Florida is a pretty cool place!

LakePirate
01-13-2006, 01:05 AM
SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL ROCKS!

Thanks Ted

Now the Keys are closer to the equator but not that much closer than Orlando. So under Erkle's theory any boat in the water ski mecca or Florida, or any southern state for that matter should never buy a MC. There are several issues that need to be discussed. Shep makes a good suggestion to buy a center console. If you have ever spent any time in the Keys then you know that a boat is the best way to get around (can you say 7 mile bridge). Now we all know that everyone can't buy a second boat (but there are those who are partial to 3-somes). If you are familiar with brackish water then you know what you are getting into. Brian is correct in saying that there are all sorts of boats (bayliners included) docked in the Keys. They are not trashed after 2 years (can you say Million Dollar Donzis?). If you put in the extra work such such as hosing out the boat with freshwater and covering it from the sun (which you should do no matter where you live) I don't see why you should have any major issues.

sizzler
01-13-2006, 03:57 AM
my family and i have only ever skiied in salt-water....our boats lasted because of strict hosing down and cleaning out at the end of each day....the boats were then garaged to keep them out of the harsh english sun ;) .....you will find that the majority of boaters in the UK are salt-water ones....due to the lack of suitable lakes here.....

just clean it thoroughly ....flush it out and you will be ok.....

after all that ..we are now on a lake..better conditions than the sea around here

jrbrown
01-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Where in Southern Maryland are you stationed. If you say Indian Head I'll sh*t.

NAS Patuxent River

jrbrown
01-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Should have done a search using "salt water". A wealth of information. In my particular case, I will not leave the boat in the water. When we're done for the day,out it comes. My son and I have the post skiing PM down to an art. We're done in about 40' and that includes hosing down vests, ropes, etc.

I'll have to look into the Salt Away product. Someone said "pretend it's cheap and use it a lot".

Yea, I've got a painted trailer. I may order up a galvanized trailer. Should I stay with the MC trailer or is there a reputable bunked trailer manufacturer. I'm think that I should not go with roller based trailers. Thoughts?

Stritt
01-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Proper care and maint....should = no problems......Keep an eye on the manifolds, they will rust quicker than fresh Water.....Make sure you really rinse the boat well after use to remove salt spray and yes your trailer will show signs of salt water use.....if you never noticed your knicks in the paint, you will after dipping in the salt.....

Ok, I have had my Old MasterCraft in a Key West multiple times....In the past I have said those were some of the best trips our family has had. Did we ski hardcore....nope....Fun in the sun.......You have to be careful on the bayside down in Key West, if you know the area.....no problems....

So, what is the difference between and I/O vs inboard in salt water? Average I/O is not designed for salt water like the new mastercraft series.....I have yet to see a saltwater version of a Searay.....Cobalt....4 Winns or BAJA......It all comes down to this....As a MasterCraft I was EXTREMELY ANAL......as an I/O guy now, the boat has become exactly that.....A BOAT.....So with that said, if you can handle seeing a little rust on the manifolds and trailer, duller finish on some of the hardware.....you will be ok.......Florida sun and seats/gelcoat....the reason some look good and some look bad is because of maint....Not the sun....What many dont seem to understand is here in Florida on the IWC or ocean......Boats are a mode of transportation,,,,,,not a trophy......Unless you have the $$ for a big sportfisherman or yacht...at the end of the day nobody will notice your boat..there are just WAY to many people that can afford to have 100k through the millions of dollars invested in a boat down here. In all my trips to the keys I have only ever seen a handful of tournment ski boats....Believe it or not one of them was a N****Q**E used as a dinghy on a mega yacht. With that all said.....If you can stomach it, do it.....if not get an old beater for 2 years....nobody will care because at the end of the day we just want to be on the water....

Jim, since the Keys are pulling you as a dealer......Maybe you should try and talk me into a BIG (used)MC.....not this year though ;) . For that right price I'd let you advertise BAWS on the boat.

I will post some pic from Key West trips later today....just so you will see....you need a BOAT in the Keys. Good luck with the move...

Oh yeah......I was ANAL over the 35th....it never touched a drop of saltwater.......that and I couldn't imagine what the nose would do in 1-2 seas...definately not a "salt water boat".

Stritt
01-13-2006, 08:50 AM
All of these pictures are from the Marquessa's and woman Key.....about 15-20 miles due west of Key West......Notice the water...Flat..some days are good....some aren't

For you Northerners....enjoy ;)

Stritt
01-13-2006, 08:51 AM
One of the clouds and water

Stritt
01-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Dolphins.....everyway...couple sharks too ;)

Stritt
01-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Another one off Woman Key

Stritt
01-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Hopefully the pics will give you an idea of the beauty of the Keys.....I have some other photos somewhere of our 00 205V on Duvall in front of Sloppy Joes, Mallory Square, Sand Key and southernmost point....

shepherd
01-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Here's another one a little farther North, off Islamorada, but gives the general idea like 35th's pics:

shepherd
01-13-2006, 09:20 AM
One more to give you some flavor. You're going to love it down there, just make sure you have a boat of some kind!

BrianM
01-13-2006, 09:22 AM
It may cost you a little more time everytime you go out and the boat will take more of a depreciation hit because of salt water use but if it were me I would install a closed cooling system buy a galvanized trailer and hit the water.

With pictures like the ones above I wouldn't be able to stay out of the water and wouldn't want to even if it cost me a little more and took a little more care.

Stritt
01-13-2006, 09:28 AM
another one.....talk to the locals...they will all tell you to learn how to read water colors.......learn it and your good......oh yeah a depth finder is a MUST have........Be careful coming out of bight marina, if you get out of the channel between the marina and bridge.....you may just end up grounded on coral rock...not sand.....once past the bridge and base...you will be good to go.

BriEOD
01-13-2006, 09:28 AM
All of these pictures are from the Marquessa's
I did some diving there back in the late 80's. That's where Mel Fisher found the Atocha (Spanish Treasure Ship). His museum in Key West is really neat.

Link (http://www.melfisher.com/)

shepherd
01-13-2006, 09:34 AM
.you may just end up grounded on coral rock...not sand.....

Ouch! :eek: That could do some damage. I remember when we were down there the water was so clear I would get real nervous thinking the bottom was a lot shallower than it was. Once I stopped the boat to check and it was like 20' deep! It looked like only 2 feet, the water was so clear. So, a depth finder would be very helpful...

sizzler
01-13-2006, 09:39 AM
i normally just throw a kid over with arope on them.... :D

shepherd
01-13-2006, 10:07 AM
i normally just throw a kid over with arope on them.... :D

:uglyhamme
Cool, and when the water gets down to his waist, you know it's time to cut the engines or put 'er in neutral...
:uglyhamme

But, I think a depth finder would be cheaper :cool:

Stritt
01-13-2006, 10:39 AM
It reallly is amazing how clear the water is....you are so right....I had stopped many times thinking I was starting to run shallow.....20-30 ft.
You can see white sand then rock (dark color) or grass and think whoa...

Brieod....yep the Marquessas.....I am jealous thinking about living there.....then again....I would end up divorced and an alcoholic.....so I guess 400 miles away is a good thing. :)

BriEOD
01-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Brieod....yep the Marquessas.....I am jealous thinking about living there.....then again....I would end up divorced and an alcoholic.....so I guess 400 miles away is a good thing. :)

We could just call you Jimmy Buffett.

I love the Keys and you are both correct the water is so clear. We used to do a trip to Key West every year for about an 8 year period, always during lobster season (normally August). We pulled out of the marina, under the bridge and when you thought you found a good spot just stick your mask on, lean over the boat enough to get your face in the water and see if it looked like a good place to hunt.

I have many, many fond memories of being there with my father. He has since passed on in 93', God bless em'. But, man did he love it there. :)

Tom023
01-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm going to be in Key West in March for four days with the family. Can any of you guys PM me with some must see/fun things to do. Never been there before.

Stritt
01-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Tourist stuff includes....The Conch Train, the arquarium, Mel Fishers museum, Trumans White House and lots of little tours whether they be spooky or going through the cementary reading epitaphs like "I told I was sick" or "At least I know where he is tonight".

Of course Water activities....snorkeling, dolphin adventures, eco-tours, parasailing.

Nightime must is Mallory Square for the sunset festivities.

Eating....Louies Backyard....its a Buffett thing.......We tend to stay away from Duvall in our now more mature/family years.....It can get pretty wild for young kids.....Schooners Wharf is on of our favorite spots, outdoors, music, marina front location, cold beer and oysters....yum!

Beach......Ft. Zachary Taylor or if you have transportation...Bahia Honda Park..

It you are driving....take your time from Key Largo to Key West....stop of at Robbies and let the kids feed the tarpon, have a cocktail and remember once you cross JewFish Creek Bridge coming into Largo.....You have arrived!

Boat rentals are available.....One of the many must haves on a boat is Polaroid sunglasses....makes all the colors more vivid.

There is more but that is what comes to mind....

Tom023
01-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks, I'm printing this list out. Will be driving from West Palm, and definitely plan on taking our time stopping many times along the way.

BriEOD
01-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Ernest Hemingway's house still has a lot of cats...definitely go see Mel Fisher's museum...Southern most point landmark is a cool photo spot...Conch Train is very cool...

John Pennecamp State Park in Key Largo is also a great place to go snorkeling. There used to be like a 8 or 9 ft Green Morey Eel they called Conan there. Link (http://www.pennekamppark.com/)

Tom023
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Great tips! Keep 'em coming. Thanks.