PDA

View Full Version : 2001 discovery land rover

firstmc
01-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Looking at buying a 2001 Discovery LR(55K miles) and wondering if anyone had any insight...??? Thanks!

jrcarte78
01-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't have any personal experience w/ Rovers but I have always loved the way those Discoveries look. SWEET!

BrianM
01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Can't remember who it is but doesn't someone on the board have a love hate relationship with their's?

From what I know (read, no personal experience) is they are not real reliable and expensive to fix.

bcampbe7
01-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Ryan, jsonova99, and myself have, or have had LR Discoveries.

I have a 99 Discovery Series II. I actually had it for sale a few weeks ago, but woke up and decided to keep it.

A few things to remember and or check:
- If it is not leaking oil or some other fluid, it may be empty.

- It's not leaking, it's marking it's territory

- It's not leaking...you get the idea...

- Not sure if 2001 has the CDL (central diff lock) or not. May want to check on that if this is something you want and/or need.

- Parts can be expensive but there are a few aftermarket sellers where you can find great prices.

- For the most part (aside from the leaking) the engines and transmissions are very stout and easy to work on if problems arise.
- You really need to run high octane gas.

- Quite-a-few rover owners have issues with the front driveshaft. They have ungreasible u-joints. I would take the driveshaft out (8 bolts) and have greasible u-joints installed.

- Rubber doughnut (rotoflex) on the rear driveshaft will get cracked and cause vibrations. New one is about $90 for the kit and easy to replace once you get the pilot bushing out of the driveshaft (broke 2 screw drivers and a chisel trying to get that sucker out :mad: ).

Bottom line, get the maintenance history on the vehicle. If the vehicle was properly maintained you should have nothing to worry about.
I would recommend working on the vehicle if you do not have a independent Rover mechanic in your area. The dealership can get expensive.

If you have any more question for me, don't hesitate to ask. I will do my best to answer them.

Where are you located?

Hoosier Bob
01-12-2006, 08:14 PM
I recently had a 2002 sub 50k mile Discovery I looked to buy for around $14,000. This truck was immaculate. Most reviews are solid as well. There may be some service that would be better done by yourself (cost). I would buy if deal was right and I were mechanically (spelling? and I am) inclined. That being said the somewhat underpowered pig only gets 15-16 mpg highway! I also believe there was a somewhat major power increase in 01 or 02'. I still think it is an awesome ride I just put too many miles on a vehicle to absorb the mileage hit. There is some great info on the net. The truck looks like a can't lose deal. Great pricing and big time curb appeal.
Good luck! :D