PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Ski season open

Foiler
01-12-2006, 02:46 PM
With the warm temps we had in Ohio today (55) we took advantage of it and did some hydrofoiling. The water temp was 34 but it sure was nice to get out again.

Last time out was Thanksgiving, this sure helped break up the long off season. Pretty lucky considering we had 8" of ice last month covering the lake.

Is it spring yet

jkski
01-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Which lake were you on? Is all the ice gone, or just a large enough open space?

Foiler
01-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Which lake were you on? Is all the ice gone, or just a large enough open space?

We were on Grand Lake St Marry's...we didn't see any ice but someone said there was still ice on the other side of the lake.

Are you guys all thawed out over there?

jkski
01-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Not enough to chance it........"Ice Berg Dead Ahead". However, I would be willing to take someone elses boat out!!!
I'm headed out to our private lake tomorrow to check it out, and then over to a larger public lake to see how it looks, and depending on what the weather does, I may just pull the trigger for the weekend.

agua4fun
01-12-2006, 06:58 PM
WOW! thats great. You guys must keep your boats inside & heated? i wanted to go today, (Toledo) but then realized id have to winterize again right away. :(

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 07:21 PM
WOW! thats great. You guys must keep your boats inside & heated? i wanted to go today, (Toledo) but then realized id have to winterize again right away. :(

Do what you gotta do, ski sat/sun and winterize as you pull out on Sunday!

Foiler
01-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Yea, my buddy keeps his boat stored in heated storage just for days like today. Hopefully the weather will hold out so you guys can get out.

I've had my boat winterized and took it out just for the day, then re- winterized it when I got it home. I guess it depends on how bad you want to go.

jkski
01-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Gas for a run at todays prices: $15
Anti-Freeze to re-winterize the boat: $14
Breaking up the long off season with a middle of winter ski run........ PRICELESS!

We've done this before, and the easiest thing to do, shy of a heated garage, is to just do it at the launch ramp as soon as you pull it out. It really only takes 15-20 minutes, and the ride is well worth that!!!

The weather is not looking good though, so it may have to wait until next week.

Foiler
01-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Gas for a run at todays prices: $15
Anti-Freeze to re-winterize the boat: $14
Breaking up the long off season with a middle of winter ski run........ PRICELESS!

We've done this before, and the easiest thing to do, shy of a heated garage, is to just do it at the launch ramp as soon as you pull it out. It really only takes 15-20 minutes, and the ride is well worth that!!!

The weather is not looking good though, so it may have to wait until next week.

I agree, I have it down to about 20 minutes also.
I've also considered driving south for the weekend. Dale Hollow doesn't get cold enough to freeze and the water is temp is still close to 50 degrees. They have days in the 60's this time of year. I've never done it but have consitered it several times.

jkski
01-13-2006, 09:45 AM
If you are willing to go that far, then you might consider the Clinch River, a part of Norris. I don't know how far it goes down this time of year, but I was there over the summer, and it has got to be the "best kept secret".