PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Play PowerSlot

83MC
01-11-2006, 05:41 PM
My 1983 S&S has some side to side rudder play. Any ideas where I can purchase just the rudder box/port?

BriEOD
01-11-2006, 05:42 PM
You may want to do a search on here for rudder play. I seem to remember some discussion about how much was ok and when it needed to be repaired. Good luck.

ski_king
01-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I had some on my 82 this spring and I was looking into replacing bushings or whatever was needed. Someone on here suggested I check the grease.
I greased it and the play disappeared. It seemed fine at the end of season as well, but I will check grease much more often now.

83MC
01-11-2006, 06:14 PM
I apply grease after every outing; the play reappears with each use.

east tx skier
01-11-2006, 06:22 PM
One hit of grease per season for me (pump the zerks until grease flys out). Is your rudder loaded?

TMCNo1
01-11-2006, 06:48 PM
My 1983 S&S has some side to side rudder play. Any ideas where I can purchase just the rudder box/port?
83MC, your rudder port/rudder shaft assy. has 2 o rings inside, one at the top and one at the bottom, in between them is your grease fitting. keeping it loaded with grease between the o ring, keeps the grease in but also keeps the water out of your bildge by acting like a shaft log [stuffing box]. keep it greased, but you may have shot/worn o rings and your dealer may be able to get you some o rings if you diy or he can probably do it for you. i swapped out my cracked bronze oe for a polished s/s one in '04. it's a 4 hr/2 person job or one person if you have a jack and are willing to climb in and out of the boat about 15times.................later

TMCNo1
01-11-2006, 07:26 PM
83MC, i don't think you ever said as to whether the play was just in your rudder assy. under the boat or does it show up as play in the steering wheel too......later

robisjo
01-11-2006, 08:26 PM
I used to have an 85 with the same problem. You will need to replace the rudder, the rudder box and port. They no longer make the rudder box and ports for the old rudders hence the reason you have to replace everything. The new rudder and box will be larger than the one that is presently on your boat and in order to install the new one you will need to make the hole larger. I went through the dealer and parts ran around $400 (200 for the rudder and 200 for the other parts). The installation was not that difficult.

SKI*MC
01-11-2006, 08:37 PM
83MC, i noticed this on my 83 too... how much play are you noticing..

83MC
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
The play is side to side as well as front to back, about or so. When I put grease in, the play goes away. The grease needs to be reapplied after every outing so I know I am loosing grease too quickly. I am going to check for the O-rings this weekend. I will post my results.