PDA

View Full Version : Tough day

MYMC
01-11-2006, 05:22 PM
As you may or may not know MasterCraft Charlotte has been active with an organization called Camp CARE (Cancer Ain’t Really the End). This is a camp for children (18 and under) and their siblings that are battling cancer. We were introduced to these great people through Maeghan (Major) as she was invited to be an honorary camp councilor.

First thing this morning I received an email telling me that they had lost a camper, Robert, this morning at 3:30 am. Unbelievably, Robert’s family lost his father to a motorcycle accident right before the start of camp last year. I remember this boy from camp and it is hard to believe he is gone.
I was trying to think of the words to write this small post and ask that you all keep this family in your thoughts when a second email arrived from the Camp CARE staff. Another boy from camp, Spenser has had a relapse and is about to have surgery to remove two tumors. The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow (Thursday). The link below is to Spenser’s web site…there is a “guest book” on his site to let the family know we are thinking about them.
http://www.caringbridge.org/nc/spencergriffin/

Thanks for listening.
MYMC
(I realize this is off topic but I posted it here to gain the most attention, I apologize for the rule infraction)

east tx skier
01-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Mike, I hate to hear it. Our family has had its share of cancer victims on both sides. I know, first hand, how difficult losing a loved one to cancer can be. All are in my thoughts and prayers.

BriEOD
01-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Wow, that's a hard one for sure. I lost my dad to cancer and my wife had thyroid cancer (fully recovered) 3 years ago. It's got to be doubly hard on kids though.

east tx skier
01-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Brian, I had no idea about that. And I feel like I've known you at least three years. I'm glad she is fully recovered. I have a co-worker whose mom recently found out she had a tumor on her thyroid. They are getting it checked out over the next week or so. Keeping our fingers crossed for her.

MYMC
01-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Amazing how many people are touched by this disease. My Mom is a 30+ survivor...lost my Grandmother, Aunt and Father to it.

BriEOD
01-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Brian, I had no idea about that. And I feel like I've known you at least three years. I'm glad she is fully recovered. I have a co-worker whose mom recently found out she had a tumor on her thyroid. They are getting it checked out over the next week or so. Keeping our fingers crossed for her.
Yep, we had a rough go that year a miscarriage and then the Thyroid Cancer (possibly which caused the first).

They say (doctors) if you have to get a cancer thyroid is the one to get. They can surgically remove your thyroid and then give you radioactive iodine to kill any remaining cells in your body. She just has to take synthroid everyday but she is doing outstanding. Fortunately they caught it early enough that it was isolated in her thyroid and had not spread (thank God!). I have no doubt it was caused by something she was exposed to while being in the AF: asbestos, water treatment chemicals, etc. It's documented in her medical records and she'll get a good portion of disability (tax free) from the VA when she retires.

Cloaked
01-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Prayers and thoughts for your efforts and those that have been saddened today by this loss.

east tx skier
01-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Amazing how many people are touched by this disease. My Mom is a 30+ survivor...lost my Grandmother, Aunt and Father to it.

I lost my dad, his dad, and his sister to it. My wife lost her mom. I'm glad to hear of survivors, but it doesn't make it any easier to miss our loved ones that didn't make it.

Brian, it really puts things into perspective doesn't it. I'm glad she's doing better.

BriEOD
01-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Brian, it really puts things into perspective doesn't it. I'm glad she's doing better.
She is, thanks. Also, yes, it does.

Dan K
01-11-2006, 07:18 PM
MYMC, Doug and Brian,
I am sorry hear that those close to you have suffered with cancer.
I was never close to anyone with cancer until my MIL was diagnosed a few days before xmas with Kidney cancer. It does not look very promising for her, but she is starting chemo on Monday.

Kids, definately have to be the hardest to watch goes through this becuase they are supposed to have a future.

we'll pray for them all.

BriEOD
01-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words Dan. Sorry to hear about your MIL. I wish her and your family all the best.

SKI*MC
01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Wow, this is really saddening.. my brother had Rhabdomyosarcoma, the same thing that the little boy Spencer has... I hope that little guy makes it through!

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear that, I will keep them in my prayers!

MYMC
01-12-2006, 09:43 AM
I read Spencer's guest book this morning...Thanks to all of you.
Big day for Spencer today, I'm expecting him at Camp July 1st!

BriEOD
01-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks to all of you.

That's the least we could do. I hope the young man is alright. Keep us posted please.

Maristar210
01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
My father died 9 years ago at the young age of 57. Spinal Tissue Cancer, very painful.

I'll be thinking of this kid today....

Steve

SKI*MC
01-13-2006, 12:08 AM
MYMC, hear any news yet?

milkmania
01-13-2006, 12:17 AM
I used to feel a sense of relief when my oldest son was in high school.... thinking we had made it, with out any major illnesses.

I realize now that was a false sense of security... one of his class mates developed testicular cancer before he got out of high school.

I was talking to a person wiser than I, and they said it's never over! they'll never grow to an age where they cannot develop illnesses:(

MYMC
01-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Tears in my eyes and a heavy heart...below is an excerpt of the email I just received regarding the surgery:

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to give each of you a quick update on Spencer.

Unfortunately, today did not go as planned. Spencer’s cancer was much more extensive than originally thought. (At 5:00pm , he was still in recovery.) The doctor’s had to remove his left lung, several ribs, and lymph nodes (which tested positive in at least 1 of them). One of the tumors had grown into the lining of his heart also. They do not believe he has heart damage. They have put him on a respirator and inserted the Hickman line again. He will be in Intensive Care for a few days. He will undergo extensive chemo according to the doctors.

When the doctors were asked if they got it all, they replied with “No.” I am unclear as to whether they meant the existing tumors or just in general (that it is in his system and the type of cancer he has can reoccur.)

Obviously, Greg and Wendy are not handling things well at the moment. This was much more than anyone anticipated considering that they thought they were dealing with a golf-ball size tumor.

Please pray hard for Spencer. Pray for Greg, Wendy, Marleigh, Kendall, and our family during this time. We know you will and we Thank you.

I will update you as soon as I know anything more.

jkski
01-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Very sad, they will be in our thoughts and prayers. My wife and her siblings left this morning for a trip to say their final good byes to their father who has this dreaded disease. It is certainly never something that any of us want to face.
Best wishes to this family and others who experience this.

BriEOD
01-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Gosh what a heart breaker. I hope it works out for that young man. That is not a good prognosis. :(

east tx skier
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Mike, I absolutely hate to hear it. The thoughts and prayers continue here nonetheless.

bcampbe7
01-13-2006, 12:22 PM
That's tough to hear. Wishing Spencer and his family the best.

Leroy
01-13-2006, 12:37 PM
My prayers are with them. We have a friend that is missing similar amount of her body and is doing well when we thought she was gone several times.

Miracles happen, I hope one does here.

Maristar210
01-15-2006, 05:01 PM
MyMC

Sorry to hear this. I'll keep him in mind. Not sure what else to say. :(

Steve

PendO
03-01-2006, 06:28 PM

BUMP ... might be nice to check in with Spencer again guys

MYMC
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Good call...

SKI*MC
03-01-2006, 07:17 PM
I have been checking up with him as much as I can, and everytime i remember too. He is still in my Prayers.

alpace
03-03-2006, 01:52 AM
As a father of an 8 year old cancer patient, this touches close to home. I have posted on Spenser's website with best wishes for health.

al

captkidd
03-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks MyMC for sharing this with us; sorry it took me so long to see it, but I just left a note for Spencer on the Caring Bridge site.

A guy at my church works in a Hospice group for children with terminal illnesses, and I can't even begin to imagine how tough that must be. It breaks my heart just hearing him talk about these kids. He said that they rarely complain about their situation, and most are more concerned about their families than they are about themselves.

Ric
03-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with Spencer and his family.

cancer is the worst. period.

SKI*MC
03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
I thought i would bump this. he is still pulling for the better!

MYMC
03-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Anyone know of a bulldog puppy for sale?

bobbyB
03-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey all
12 yrs ago my Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. This is not a plesent one. Shortly after that my 6 yr old son pulled in front of a car on his bike. 5 wks in a coma and they told us he probably wouldn't ever walk or talk again. 4 wks after the accident we lost our 3 month old to S.I.D.S. 5 months later my Dad passed. got to the point where I dreaded to pick up the phone.

Now the good news! Here's a link to an article written about my son who's now 18. http://www.happynews.com/news/2232006/my-friend-carvin.htm For a kid that wasn't supposed to walk or talk again, this is the kind of thing that gives one hope.

Hey MYMC, could we buy a bulldog for Spencer? Could you ask? If yes, CALLING ALL TMC MEMBERS! Send me a PM with your pledges and I'll arange things. I'll start this with $100. COME ON!!!

MYMC
03-28-2006, 12:40 PM
I'll start checking on this now...count me in for $100

bcampbe7
03-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey all
12 yrs ago my Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. This is not a plesent one. Shortly after that my 6 yr old son pulled in front of a car on his bike. 5 wks in a coma and they told us he probably wouldn't ever walk or talk again. 4 wks after the accident we lost our 3 month old to S.I.D.S. 5 months later my Dad passed. got to the point where I dreaded to pick up the phone.

Now the good news! Here's a link to an article written about my son who's now 18. http://www.happynews.com/news/2232006/my-friend-carvin.htm For a kid that wasn't supposed to walk or talk again, this is the kind of thing that gives one hope.

Hey MYMC, could we buy a bulldog for Spencer? Could you ask? If yes, CALLING ALL TMC MEMBERS! Send me a PM with your pledges and I'll arange things. I'll start this with $100. COME ON!!!

What an awesome story BobbyB!
You son is an inspiration to say the least.

bcampbe7
03-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Getting the bulldog would be a great idea!

Count me in as well!

MYMC
03-28-2006, 12:52 PM
I agree this is a great idea. I have emailed Spenser's family to make sure that our "best intentions" are okay with mom. To all of you that have called me already offering donations I will keep you posted through this forum.

You guys are the best and thanks again!

bobbyB
03-28-2006, 06:31 PM
hey MYMC

Recheck your PM's

MYMC
03-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Got it...thanks.