PDA

View Full Version : Some people have no idea what they have

LakePirate
01-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I had to get a tire plugged today and on the way to get it done I saw a new business. Some sort of marine repair shop. I stopped by and chatted with the gentleman who owns the shop. We chatted a bit and he talked about his prowess with outboards, I/O and such. I asked him if he could get parts from Indmar as I had an MC and was always looking for something engine related. He told me he could get aftermarket stuff (impellers and such).

Then he tells me, yeah my girlfriend has an 86 MC, it is in the back of the yard. The conversation continued like this

LP "What model is it?"
DA "That model that everyone has, you know like ski nautique, they have lots of models but people around here all have the same one"
LP "So it has the closed bow?"
DA "Yeah....it's like bass boats you know one year everyone wants the 18 footer and the next year they want the 21"
LP "It must be a ProStar 190"
DA "Yeah I guess"

Maybe I should go offer him a grand for it. Chalk it up as a rescue mission.

bcampbe7
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I had to get a tire plugged today and on the way to get it done I saw a new business. Some sort of marine repair shop. I stopped by and chatted with the gentleman who owns the shop. We chatted a bit and he talked about his prowess with outboards, I/O and such. I asked him if he could get parts from Indmar as I had an MC and was always looking for something engine related. He told me he could get aftermarket stuff (impellers and such).

Then he tells me, yeah my girlfriend has an 86 MC, it is in the back of the yard. The conversation continued like this

LP "What model is it?"
DA "That model that everyone has, you know like ski nautique, they have lots of models but people around here all have the same one"
LP "So it has the closed bow?"
DA "Yeah....it's like bass boats you know one year everyone wants the 18 footer and the next year they want the 21"
LP "It must be a ProStar 190"
DA "Yeah I guess"

Maybe I should go offer him a grand for it. Chalk it up as a rescue mission.

:uglyhamme
Tell him you'll give him $1500, but if it has one of those dang ploes in front of that hump thingy in the middle you will only give him $1000.

BriEOD
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
LMFAO!! The guy sounds brilliant. :rolleyes:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-11-2006, 04:34 PM
If it is sitting in the back yard, it is most likely full of wet leaves and serves as a winter home to several families of rodents.

bucky
01-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Why buy new when you can spend 20 grand on an '86?

Edit: if that one is too nice, I know where you can find a Tige, one owner, already on the water.

loeweb
01-11-2006, 04:55 PM
sounds like he was talking out of his a$$! Pick a model, and stick with it.

east tx skier
01-11-2006, 05:33 PM
I had a guy that is a prominant I/O and Outboard mechanic around here swear he could work on my boat. This was before my local tournament dealer moved close (and they were very backlogged). So I go to drop it off and he asks me if it is a jet drive.

I didn't even unhook it. I may have said, "I think I hear my mother calling me" and made the drive to see the guys who knew what was going on.

rodltg2
01-11-2006, 06:24 PM
thats the kind of gem im looking for, a neglected mc that needs some TLC.

Rockman
01-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Ask him if it's good for tubing!

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Go back and take some pictures, I have never seen a cross bred NautiqueCraft.

BriEOD
01-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Ask him if it's good for tubing!
Maybe he knows the Toolman and Dooker. :D

Sodar
01-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Ask this yahoo if it has a trolling motor too!!

rodltg2
01-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Maybe he knows the Toolman and Dooker. :D

we all know the toolman and dooker!

Leroy
01-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Fact is funnier than fiction. Good one LakePirate!

Hint.....Stick with Skidim.....

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 12:23 AM
SkiDim is awesome, really helpful and straight forward.

LakePirate
01-12-2006, 11:37 AM
The whole time I was talking to this guy I was wishing I had a hidden video camera so I could come back and post it on here.

I clearly let him know that I would only be needing him for parts if he could be helpful.

Talked to him about marinized parts that you can't get at the local auto parts store and he just stared out into space. Crazy stuff. Said he has been in business for 15 years. Wow.