PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Battery Charging

TMCNo1
01-11-2006, 10:53 AM
FYI, If you haven't already got one or have not seen one, there is a battery charge maintainer, low amp battery charger avail. at most auto parts stores called "Battery Tender PLUS" plus many others. Hook it on your boat, motorcycle, lawn mower, street rod or whatever and forget about it until you go to use the vehicle. It gets the battery up to full strength and constantly maintains it for as long as you want. I rotate it from battery to battery every three weeks during the off season, if its off a good battery for three weeks it only takes about two hours to bring the battery back up to full charge. I know it works, cause i've got the original battery in a John Deere lawn mower that's 8 years old. If the vehicle is stored away from electricity just take battery out, place inside house or garage on a plastic crate,[not on a concrete floor] and charge there........... any questions just!....................later

bigmac
01-11-2006, 11:24 AM
FYI, If you haven't already got one or have not seen one, there is a trickle charger, low amp battery charger avail. at most auto parts stores called "Battery Tender PLUS". Hook it on your boat, motorcycle, lawn mower, street rod or whatever and forget about it until you go to use the vehicle. It gets the battery up to full strength and constantly maintains it for as long as you want. I rotate it from battery to battery every three weeks during the off season, if its off a good battery for three weeks it only takes about two hours to bring the battery back up to full charge. I know it works, cause i've got the original battery in a John Deere lawn mower that's 8 years old. If the vehicle is stored away from electricity just take battery out, place inside house or garage on a plastic crate,[not on a concrete floor] and charge there........... any questions just!....................later

There are a lot of brands - Battery Tender is one of the better known, but not necessarily the best, or most cost-efficient.

Also, don't go out an buy the first device you see that say's "trickle charger", because those can overcharge a battery and boil off the electrolyte. The appropriate wordage on the box will be "battery maintainer, or "float charger". Those won't overcharge. I have slug of those things and leave them on all of my summer rolling stock with the batteries in place (including my MasterCraft) all winter.

Actually, the concept of it being inadviseable to store a modern lead battery on a concrete floor is a myth, born of the old days when battery cases used a different case material that was porous enough to allow moisture conduction. It won't be a problem with any battery purchased within the last 20 years.

Leroy
01-11-2006, 11:27 AM
BIgmac is right, the concrete floor myth has already been busted on TT myth busters! But it doesn't hurt to keep it off concrete! ;)

TMCNo1
01-11-2006, 12:28 PM
bigmac is on the ball and is right, thanks for the reply, i edited my thread. But as recently as 3 years ago, a fellow i help on a NASCAR FEATHERLITE MODIFIED RACE CAR was killing the state of the art $180 non acid gel type batteries in the off season, while rebuilding the cars for the next season, on the concrete floor in the corner out of the way. he had been replacing them every year, and some times during the racing season, but all that came to an end with a maintaining charger off the floor or in the car during the week. I'm not going to take a chance, i can leave all mine in the vehicles............later

milkmania
01-11-2006, 01:27 PM
funny you should mention this.....

I was looking at Wal-MArt last night and found one made by Black & Decker

it had 3 adaptable ways of charging.... aligator clips for the battery posts, ring ends for the wing nut battery ends, and cigarett lighter plug in for the cigarette lighter.

it had 3 levels of charge, with what claimed to be a micro processor to maintain the battery.

something like $18.00

edit:
on the box it claimed "Float Charger"

88 PS190
01-11-2006, 01:55 PM
another option are the solar float chargers. you can do one per battery and set it in the window of the garage.

flipper
01-11-2006, 10:32 PM
I have the battery tender on my bike and love it. Went through batterys before all the time, with the tender they last at least 5x as long for me. The boat gets out enough it seems to do fine.