PDA

View Full Version : spare tire protection question

billyboard
09-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Many boat supply companies sell spare tire trailer covers like these:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=142821

I can see that these are probably good for protecting the spare from sun and other weathering, especially since even the tread is exposed 24/7. But are there downsides like consendsation pooling or anything like that that makes the covers undesirable? I was thinking of getting one and cutting out the area covering the wheel so that the tire stays protected but it also has air flow.

A related question (since my trailer is not near where I live) is what size (diameter) tire would a MC trailer (with double axle if that matters) for a 2001 X-Star have?

Thanks

OhioProstar
09-13-2004, 11:30 AM
205/75/14...I think.

east tx skier
09-13-2004, 07:12 PM
I guess that begs the question, when did they go to 15" rims?

jimmer2880
09-14-2004, 07:40 AM
I think my 95 is on 15's... but I'd better check this weekend to be sure.

chris.willman
09-14-2004, 04:37 PM
14's on my '99.

OhioProstar
09-14-2004, 04:47 PM
My 1995 has 215/75/14s, but I know they went to a 15" on single axles later. The dual axle is 14" pretty much across the board. Of course the heavier the boat the larger the tire and load rating.

River Rat
09-14-2004, 05:09 PM
My 1998 PS 205 has 14" tires and it sits on a double axle. I just bought a MC tire cover because my spare tire rim is very ugly!! It didn't come with the trailer. :rolleyes:

Tom Wortham
09-14-2004, 06:02 PM
My 1986 has 14" wheels. Just bought a spare tire cover off E-Bay. It's black and has MasterCraft in white. Under $30 including shipping. He has both 14" and 15" covers. I bought a 15" cover without checking first. :noface: You guessed it... had to return it for a 14" one. Seller was cool about it... Also, getting a MasterCraft "Shock tube". Rope broke last year... my buddy got jack slapped with the rope on his chest :eek3: He was glad to hear of my new purchase. (Rope was a little old).

MarkP
09-14-2004, 06:08 PM
BillyB,

I donít know about the cutting out the center as that may create a problem with the wind while tailoring.

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Tom, look carefully before you buy the "MasterCraft" stuff on ebay. Some of it is fake. That being said, I bought a shock tube off ebay and it was the genuine article. Most of the fake stuff I've seen has taken the form of guide poll pads. The fake ones I saw only have MasterCraft written vertically. But the omit the horizontal "MasterCraft" script written in very small letters above the vertical script.

The MC shock tubes have a slalom time chart or something (slips my mind) on them.

Tom Wortham
09-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks Doug... I have not received it yet.. I will send him a note to confirm. E-Bay seller for these items is out of Edmond, OK. It that the same location you bought yours from. Hard to tell if the spare tire cover is MC product or not... I doubt it... Since he sells one for a Supra, and other ski boats. I'll shoot him a note.

billyboard
09-15-2004, 01:50 PM
MarkP,
Good point about trailering. I'd just remove it for the very few times I do trailer. But for the 99% of the time that it just sits in the sun (including during winter storage), I'd like to protect the tread without causing condensation problems for the wheel.
The cutting a hole was just a thought.
I wonder if anyone has experienced any problems leaving a cover on while the trailer sits for months at a time.
Thanks for the feedback.

MarkP
09-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Billyb

I donít use protection now but may start. I only trailer my boat so it will be interesting to see what you come up with

ski_king
09-15-2004, 01:59 PM
I used a cover on the spare that I had on the back of my old Bronco and Van. They seemed to work pretty good, but take it off and clean it every so often. Once it gets wet inside mildew will start to grom on the cover and tire.

Tom Wortham
09-15-2004, 04:43 PM
The cover I picked up does have a opening to allow it to drain. I mainly got if for cosmetic purposes. I didn't have my spare on my trailer and recently added it. The wheel does not match the wheels on the trailer. In fact it looks pretty bad. :eek: So I wanted to cover it up. I don't trailer very far or fast. My boat stays in a covered area... so I won't be much help regarding a boat that sits outside.... and the life of a tire covered vs not covered. :rolleyes: