PDA

View Full Version : N. WI Cottage Wanted

tbuck
01-10-2006, 09:55 PM
My family & I are interested in renting a cottage in Northern Wisconsin this summer for 1-2 weeks. We are looking for something that is on a lake which offers good skiing conditions.

If anyone is aware of any rental options or has some experience if finding such in N. WI please let me know.

I appreciate any help or leads!

erkoehler
01-10-2006, 09:57 PM
My family & I are interested in renting a cottage in Northern Wisconsin this summer for 1-2 weeks. We are looking for something that is on a lake which offers good skiing conditions.

If anyone is aware of any rental options or has some experience if finding such in N. WI please let me know.

I appreciate any help or leads!

How far North? Do you want to be able to put the boat in and leave it for the duration of the trip, or do you want to trailer to different lakes each day?

Is there a certain city/town you would like to be close to???

tbuck
01-10-2006, 10:12 PM
How far North? Do you want to be able to put the boat in and leave it for the duration of the trip, or do you want to trailer to different lakes each day?

Is there a certain city/town you would like to be close to???

No City or town in mind. We live in Green Bay/DePere, WI & are simply looking to spend some time in the Great North. Would like to find something within 3 hours if possible, but open to options at this points. I would prefer to stay on the same body of water & not have to trailer each day. I have spent some time in the Minaqua area on the chain & really enjoyed that area. Thus, is we could find a place that had some sort of a "chain of lakes" that would be great.

SKI*MC
01-10-2006, 10:14 PM
What time of the year?

vogelm1
01-10-2006, 10:21 PM
There are a few folks on here that know quite a bit about the area...I live in Minocqua and can recommend the Minocqua Chain. There are several places that rent cabins of just about any size/configuration. Only draw back is it gets really busy out there on weekends. However, early morning glass is attainable and usually calms down again toward evening. If you're staying during the week, that's another story - it can be awesome! Other "chains" in the area are the Manitowish Chain (another 15 minutes north)...much less busy and more picturesque, however more underwater things to worry about going between lakes; like huge rocks and stumps - ask locals at the marina or resorts where to stay away from - otherwise great water. The Eagle Chain by Eagle River is similar.

Probably thought of this already, but a call to the local Chamber of Commerce might get you started in finding a cabin. The local newspaper has lots of advertisement regarding too - The Lakeland Times. Good luck!! PM me if you wish to get the scoop on something (how it looks, where it's located on the lake, etc.)

jake
Some friends of ours rent out a cabin in Northern (actually more central) Wisconsin, Island Lake area. We rented it for a couple months last year. Great skiing conditions, big Mastercraft lake too. PM me if you want the details.

erkoehler
No City or town in mind. We live in Green Bay/DePere, WI & are simply looking to spend some time in the Great North. Would like to find something within 3 hours if possible, but open to options at this points. I would prefer to stay on the same body of water & not have to trailer each day. I have spent some time in the Minaqua area on the chain & really enjoyed that area. Thus, is we could find a place that had some sort of a "chain of lakes" that would be great.

Ok, here goes:

First, I would wait until mid to late June at the EARLIEST. The water just doesn't warm up that fast up there.

Second, I think Minocqua has the cleanest water in the chain, and the safest running area. THere is a chain in Eagle River WI also, but there are more hazards on that one, and the water isn't as nice.

However, you shouldn't limit yourself to the chains. Big St. Germain lake is quite large, and I am sure you would have alot of fun out there. I would stay away from Little St. Germain as there are alot of rocks and hazards out there, and the ramp sucks....lots of boulders.

What size cabin do you need? My family rents cabins, but the lake that we are on is closed access and you won't be able to get your boat out there.

tbuck
01-10-2006, 10:44 PM
What time of the year?

We are looking for the July time-frame. If we do two weeks we are thinking 01/01 to 01/15.

erkoehler
01-10-2006, 10:45 PM
We are looking for the July time-frame. If we do two weeks we are thinking 01/01 to 01/15.

I'll assume you meant 7/1-7/15.

How big of a place do you need?

tbuck
01-10-2006, 10:51 PM
erkoehler,

Thanks for the info! In regards to cabin size we are looking to sleep approx. 6-8 people if possible.

In regards to the water in Minocqua, I agree you wont find many places with cleaner water. Wherever we decide to stay that will be a very important piece for my wife.

I did not realize that the Eagle River Chain had that many submerged hazards. However, I have not spent any time on that body of water. Your info on these lakes is great!

tbuck
01-10-2006, 10:52 PM
I'll assume you meant 7/1-7/15.

How big of a place do you need?

yes, July 1 to July 15

accomodating 6-8 people

erkoehler
01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
erkoehler,

Thanks for the info! In regards to cabin size we are looking to sleep approx. 6-8 people if possible.

In regards to the water in Minocqua, I agree you wont find many places with cleaner water. Wherever we decide to stay that will be a very important piece for my wife.

I did not realize that the Eagle River Chain had that many submerged hazards. However, I have not spent any time on that body of water. Your info on these lakes is great!

I wouldn't shy away from Eagle River Chain for a day, but I wouldn't leave my boat in it for a week.....talk about a scum line!

87 TriStar 190
01-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I agree with everything said so far, but one chain is missing. The Flambeau Chain about 10 miles west of Minocqua, just north of Hwy 70, is perfect. Several lakes and all as clean as the Minocqua Chain. Not too many accomodatiions, but you'll be able to find something. We go up or a week each year and are never disappointed. There is a west shore line on Big Crawling Stone at the South end that is perfect for evening slolom and BF runs. No course, but great conditions. Some of the channels are a little shallow, but more of a worry for the bigger boats. Even weekends are not that crowded and weekdays are wide open. We go up the week that you return. Good luck.

erkoehler
01-10-2006, 11:40 PM
The lake I am on is called Finley lake, it is approx. 100 acres, and is crystal clear. Amazing water all the time, not any other serious skiers on the lake, basically just a Jewish camp on the lake that uses the lake every day. Other than that calm water!!! I am going to try to get my 190 out there this year, if I do you are more than welcome to come over for a pull!

Or, feel me to PM me your address and I'll send you a brouchure for the resort that we run!

peason
01-11-2006, 01:07 AM
I would look at Chanticleer resort on the Eagle River chain - I have been going to this chain of 30 lakes for several years, you can find decent water on several of the lakes - Scattering Rice lake is my favorite - you just need to be careful how you enter this lake - stay close to the bouys! if you want a destination to eat lunch or dinner - there are numerous restaurants on the chain. The ride to the upper chain is great -they lift your boat over a road - and there is a marina and restaurants on the upper chain to visit. If you want more info - please pm me.

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 03:09 AM
I would look at Chanticleer resort on the Eagle River chain - I have been going to this chain of 30 lakes for several years, you can find decent water on several of the lakes - Scattering Rice lake is my favorite - you just need to be careful how you enter this lake - stay close to the bouys! if you want a destination to eat lunch or dinner - there are numerous restaurants on the chain. The ride to the upper chain is great -they lift your boat over a road - and there is a marina and restaurants on the upper chain to visit. If you want more info - please pm me.

Have you ever ventured over to catfish lake on the eagle river chain? We stayed at a house there last winter, and then I went in the MC there in the summer....not really a great place to ski, but it was fun. When we were there in the summer the water was extremely choppy, no fun at all.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2006, 08:58 AM
I have the perfect place in mind, but I don't know about the availability of those dates. They fill up FAST.You'll have a PM shortly.

Datdude
01-11-2006, 10:04 AM
I would call Northwoods Property Management in Minocqua. They specialize in private home rentals on various lakes in and around Minocqua. Their phone number is (715)356-3178. I did a 1 year rental on a lake house when I moved up to Minocqua from the Milwaukee area and they were great people to deal with. PM me if you have any questions.

Leroy
01-11-2006, 11:00 AM
local companies are always great, but don't forget www.vbro.com (http://www.vbro.com)

I've had good luck using this site.

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 01:11 PM
On the Eagle River chain, I will recommend the Island View Lodge, spectacular place, you can google it and find their web site. It is a private home that is unbelievable.

On the Minocqua chain, I am not sure about any private home that may be available, but you can go to www.minocqua.org which is the chamber site.

EricB
01-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Several comments;
Think about Lake Wissota just north of Chippewa Falls. There is a resort on the north end called Mallard Resort. They have cabins on the water. The lake is about 6K acres and is fed by the Chippewa River. Great lake for skiing and beautiful scenery also.

erkoehler- Finley lake? Next to Braggoneer? Off of hyw 70?

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Several comments;
Think about Lake Wissota just north of Chippewa Falls. There is a resort on the north end called Mallard Resort. They have cabins on the water. The lake is about 6K acres and is fed by the Chippewa River. Great lake for skiing and beautiful scenery also.

holy crap, yes!!!

how did you know?

EricB
01-11-2006, 01:54 PM
That was my summertime hangout. I summered in Eagle River when I was growing up(3 doors to the left of Braywood Motel on Catfish Lake) and one of my best friends had a place on Braggoneer.
We also used to stay at a resort on Finely. You're right- beautiful crystal clear water!
Camp Interlachen, right? Do they still have the horses across the street?

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 02:01 PM
That was my summertime hangout. I summered in Eagle River when I was growing up(3 doors to the left of Braywood Motel on Catfish Lake) and one of my best friends had a place on Braggoneer.
We also used to stay at a resort on Finely. You're right- beautiful crystal clear water!
Camp Interlachen, right? Do they still have the horses across the street?

Well, I'm 21 and never remember seeing horses, but I have heard that they were there in the late 80's. The stables are still there, but no horses. They built tennis courts, soccer fields, and a batting cage in that huge field that was back by the stables.

Were you ever on Finley lake? Our house is just outside of the bay from the camp, we have the blue outboard ski boat and silver metal swim raft.

EricB
01-11-2006, 05:37 PM
I believe you are on the west side of the lake? There used to be 2 resorts just up the road from the Camp entrance. Sorry, but I'm old and can't remember the name of them. Actually, it just came to me....the place we used to stay was Schroeders. I used to do alot of swimming on that lake.

At that time, I belonged to the Chain Skimmers. That was when they were at the T-docks in town on Yellow Birch. So that gives you an idea how ancient I am.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Hey.....lets be careful, I remember the T-docks. Our club came up once and was part of a group show there.

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 09:00 PM
I believe you are on the west side of the lake? There used to be 2 resorts just up the road from the Camp entrance. Sorry, but I'm old and can't remember the name of them. Actually, it just came to me....the place we used to stay was Schroeders. I used to do alot of swimming on that lake.

At that time, I belonged to the Chain Skimmers. That was when they were at the T-docks in town on Yellow Birch. So that gives you an idea how ancient I am.

I know about the T-docks, but I never knew the Chain Skimmers were over there. As far back as I remember, they have always been out in Conover on Lake Pleasant...

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 09:02 PM

The cabins that we now own are what used to be Schroeders Resort! :eek: Do you have any old pictures of the resort?

EricB
01-11-2006, 09:06 PM
The T-dock show site was awesome. Much better for performances and the crowd. We originally used Ski N_____ back then. That was back when tournament boats were relatively new on the scene.
Oh well, back to reality now....

But Eagle River is still an awesome place. Lots of fun.

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 09:09 PM
The T-dock show site was awesome. Much better for performances and the crowd. We originally used Ski N_____ back then. That was back when tournament boats were relatively new on the scene.
Oh well, back to reality now....

But Eagle River is still an awesome place. Lots of fun.

I want to hear more about what the resort used to be like! I haven't met many people that remember it back when it used to be Schroeders. Tell me more......

Andyg
01-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Several comments;

I grew up on Wissota. That is where I learned to ski. In fact my parents are trying to sell there house on the lake right now.

If you decide to go to Mallard Resort the best skiing on the entire lake is the stretch to the north on the river. Ski from Mallard north to the boat launch on the east side of the river. Go any further north and you run the risk of taking out your prop on rocks. There is also a huge sandbar in front of the resort.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Tbuck, let me know of those leads get you anywhere.

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 01:15 AM
EricB,

Here are some pics from after the Holidays. Here are some pics of the camp:

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Here is our lake front, just alittle snow and ice preventing us from skiing.

EricB
01-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Great pics. To bad the winter shots don't do the lake justice. Do you spend alot of summer time up there?

Andy- I lived on Wissota in the 80's (right next to the Elks Club). The skiing on the river is by Mallard is some of the best you'll find anywhere.

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Great pics. To bad the winter shots don't do the lake justice. Do you spend alot of summer time up there?

Andy- I lived on Wissota in the 80's (right next to the Elks Club). The skiing on the river is by Mallard is some of the best you'll find anywhere.

Tons of time up there in the summer: Memorial Day we open up, a week in June, Long week for the 4th of July, Full week first week of August, Quick weekend in mid-August, and then a long weekend over Labor Day to close the resort up. After labor day, things can change pretty quick up there, so all the boats have to come out just in case we hit a cold snap. I didn't winterize the MC until mid/late November this past year.

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Look how clear the water is!

EricB
01-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Brr.....
I know exactly where your at. Your just past the Stables at the curve in the road.... There was a resort there, just before Schreoders.
Is it still a real resort or is it condo'ed?

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Brr.....
I know exactly where your at. Your just past the Stables at the curve in the road.... There was a resort there, just before Schreoders.
Is it still a real resort or is it condo'ed?

The camp now owns all of that property. All those red cabins (that is where your referring too, correct?) and property up to 2 lots before our property is owned by the camp. Basically all property in the bay is now owned by the camp other than the last 2 properties before ours. If you knew the people on the lake, the one lot is still owned by Skip/Jan and that is the house right on the edge of the main lake/bay and then there is a recently developed lot after them.

Our property is fully around the curve, you might remember the White Wagon Wheel Fence???? That is our property now. There are 2 cabins on the water, the main house which used to be owned by Norma, I think it was red/white back then? and then we also bought all the property across the street. 2 additional cabins and a garage.

EricB
01-12-2006, 01:52 PM
That's the cabins we used to stay at. Norma Schreoders! We always stayed in the first cabin across the street.
Norma used to have a central dock that had a cable run around it. Long ago, my friend ran off that dock (never saw the cable) and did the most awesome 1-1/2 gainer. Then we realized he really did'nt try to do that when we say the cable mark across his sholder blades!
Wow, small world! Pizza at Spangs this summer....

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 01:56 PM
That's the cabins we used to stay at. Norma Schreoders! We always stayed in the first cabin across the street.
Norma used to have a central dock that had a cable run around it. Long ago, my friend ran off that dock (never saw the cable) and did the most awesome 1-1/2 gainer. Then we realized he really did'nt try to do that when we say the cable mark across his sholder blades!
Wow, small world! Pizza at Spangs this summer....

HA, good stuff! Do you remember Charlie's Restaurant up on the corner? That is now called Country Flaire, just as good though. Or how about the Min-Aqua Bats? My brother skis for them now.

Do you get up there much anymore? Do you have a place up there?

EricB
01-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Did Charlie's used to be called Deer View? Is it next to a Tavern on the corner? We used to mini-bike down to the flowage and run all the fire lanes just S. of Hwy. 70.

We have a place in Balsam Lake, WI. It is about 10 miles from Taylor's Falls. I do not get to E.R or St. G. as often as I would like. I'm hoping to go back this summer.

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Did Charlie's used to be called Deer View? Is it next to a Tavern on the corner? We used to mini-bike down to the flowage and run all the fire lanes just S. of Hwy. 70.

We have a place in Balsam Lake, WI. It is about 10 miles from Taylor's Falls. I do not get to E.R or St. G. as often as I would like. I'm hoping to go back this summer.

If you are going to head back up to the area, let me know. I will send you out a brouchure from the resort!

tbuck
01-14-2006, 04:03 PM
*****Bump*****

erkoehler
01-14-2006, 04:41 PM

Yep, right next to the tavern on the corner before you get to Elmer's Fun Park.