PDA

View Full Version : Kevin 89MC, Disc Brakes

TMCNo1
01-10-2006, 09:06 PM
i had no brakes of any kind, my axle had a 4 hole flange behind the spindal as should yours where your drum brakes bolt in. in 1997 when i installed my brakes, UFP [unique functional products] was supplying to mc their brakes, i installed their disc brake actuator w/reverse lockout valve into my channels in actuator tube, ran s/s brake lines, bolted caliper brackets onto 4 bolt plates, installed new hub/rotors complete with bearings, installed calipers onto caliper brackets, filled with fluid, bleed brakes and now its 8 years and 9000 miles later. i would hope todays supplier to mc has a kit for you to change over or UFP may still have kits? those disc brakes have saved us several times. my cost for parts was around $320 for disc kit not counting actuator tube, wiring, lines/fittings, fluid, etc. remember you have to use the disc brake actuator and not your old drum actuator........later

flipper
01-10-2006, 09:13 PM
What is the difference between the disc brake actuator and the drum? I have thought about converting to disk because I pull doubles behind my pick up. I have the 5th wheel trailer with the boat behind that. Need all the stopping power I can get. My tongue is a weld on. Do I have to change the whole thing, or just the cylinder set up under that does the work? All the disk kits I have seen are the whole thing, tongue with the cylinder and everything.

TMCNo1
01-10-2006, 09:50 PM
flipper, it takes more line pressure for the calipers to clamp down on the rotors than to expand shoes into a drum. the disc brake actuator is bigger internally and you also need a reverse lockout valve so you can back up. the least amount of pressure will engage them, you will need to change actuator , change to new s/s/ lines, because old lines will probably blow under the extra pressure, you may have to change trailer tube that the actuator goes in depending which disc brake mfg. you use. the new mc suppliers system looks the same as UFP but i don't know for sure if it is the same exact fit, i know the ball socket and latch is somewhat different in looks, your dealer could tell you if the systems are interchangable.......later

Kevin 89MC
01-11-2006, 02:49 PM
I thought I read that the actuator is different, it's the main reason keeping me from switching. I may switch someday, but not until I get more confident in my welding skills! The drums are OK for now, as long as I check them & repack the bearings every year. Thanks for the info.
Kevin

flipper
01-11-2006, 09:36 PM
flipper, it takes more line pressure for the calipers to clamp down on the rotors than to expand shoes into a drum. the disc brake actuator is bigger internally and you also need a reverse lockout valve so you can back up. the least amount of pressure will engage them, you will need to change actuator , change to new s/s/ lines, because old lines will probably blow under the extra pressure, you may have to change trailer tube that the actuator goes in depending which disc brake mfg. you use. the new mc suppliers system looks the same as UFP but i don't know for sure if it is the same exact fit, i know the ball socket and latch is somewhat different in looks, your dealer could tell you if the systems are interchangable.......later
Thanks, never knew that, though it makes sense. I need to paint the trailer because of a bunch of other welding I did on it and though that would be more welding. Sounds like that may not be true. :woohoo: Getting tired of welding on it.