PDA

View Full Version : transmission check

tommcat
01-10-2006, 07:36 PM
i bought my boat late last season and found water getting into the tranny through the cooler. i replace the cooler and fluid and did get one test drive in before it got too cold out, it seemed to be fine. my question is if there are any checks or tests that can be done to determine if the tranny was damaged in any way or if it is time for a rebuild? it has over a thousand hours on it and i just want to make sure it's perfect before the summer gets here, instead of being without my new toy during the season.

thanks in advance
tom

88 PS190
01-11-2006, 01:06 PM
The velvet drive transmissions are not complex. They use trans fluid pressure to simply lock into forwards gear, and when in reverse they have a planetary gear/ring gear reverse gear on it. The benefit here is that it is very simple and quite sturdy.

My recommendation is to change the fluid again this winter to make sure there is no remaining water in the system and the listen to the transmission once you get it back in the water.

Pay attention to bearing noises, it would be helpful if you have a mechanics stethoscope for this task. I'm assuming that the synthetic atf would likely preserve the trans unless it filled w/ water.

gl

tommcat
01-11-2006, 02:10 PM
i have a powerslot trans, any difference in how they work? i was considering taking it apart myself if needed but dont really know what tests or diagnostics can be done on them.

78skier
02-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I would also recommend you change the fluid again when you empty the trany check to see if there is still any water in the fluid. A few drops here and there should not do anything however best if none.
good luck I wish you the best

88 PS190
02-02-2006, 01:20 AM
A powerslot tranny is the same as a regular tranny w/ the addition of a gear reduction drive on the end of it. if you find your way of to this *cough* nautique *cough* forum they've got references including a velvet drive manual. *cough* http://correctcraftfan.com/reference/ * wow wonder what that was...