PDA

View Full Version : X45 LED Cupholders - Yeah or Nay

wakespecialty
01-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Here are some first shots of Gabriel's '05 X45 gettin the treatment. Hope to get it in the water for some better shots in the next couple of days. The platform is going on tonight with 12 clusters (6 led's each) underneath. I just snapped these to show the LED rings we fabricated for the cupholders. I think they look insane.

Byrdman
01-10-2006, 04:35 PM
I would like to do that on my 05' X-2, but in blue. What did you use to fab those LED's for the cupholders? Everywhere I have looked just has the drop-in type. How much would you charge to fab some in blue?

MYMC
01-10-2006, 04:47 PM
We have done this... http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/262663.html

I like the effect a better.

Byrdman
01-10-2006, 06:15 PM
We have done this... http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/262663.html

I like the effect a better.

I like this as well, but we try to keep cans on the boat because of the glass. So I would think that the rings around the cupholders would provide more light. My X-2 is blue and white, so I would like to do something in blue, like light up the cup holders and put a blue tube under the dash and in the glove box. I would also like to change the white lights by the floor to more of a blue as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Than link you posted, is that your boat or you did the same thing. if that is not your boat, show us some pics of yours.

MYMC
01-10-2006, 06:19 PM
No, not my boat, just stole the idea for Maeghan's boat.

rodltg2
01-10-2006, 06:39 PM
cool, but i dont think i would want my beer lit up for the popo to see.

BrianM
01-10-2006, 06:43 PM
How about doing both. :D

erkoehler
01-10-2006, 07:15 PM
How do you get power to the LED lights that go under the platform? That is something I would be interested in doing, but not sure how or how much it would cost?

Byrdman
01-10-2006, 07:33 PM
How about doing both. :D

Good Idea.....I'm not sure what the amp requirement would be. I know I have a 90amp alt, but I dont want to kill the battery either.

wakespecialty
01-10-2006, 11:09 PM
As I posted on Grant's post from WW - I like the idea of doing both! Very different effects for each. As Grant mentions in the WW post, if there are no bottles in the cupholders, you can't see much, if any, light. The rings don't fire up a bottle of water, but can tie in a similar look to speaker rings (interior or tower). These cupholder rings are made like the speaker rings, using a thin flexible PCB strip with surface mounted LED's (SMD's). The strips are simply wrapped around the cupholder, attached with psa tape. Off one end of the SMD strip is the power lead. The plex ring is secured to the lip of the cupholder.

The concerns about power consumption are minor. LED's are crazy efficient with each 5mm size LED using 26ma each and the SMD's about a quarter of that. Example, the platform we are lighting uses 12 pods, 6 LED's per pod will approx 1.8 amps drawn. Lighting 8 cupholders in this boat is drawing .86 amps. Don't mean to give you tired head, but more fun than worry here!

[IMG]

MYMC
01-11-2006, 09:08 AM
AndyG needs to jump in here...as I remember he has LEDs all over the place including the platform. Biggest complaint is the wiring...what a PITA.

aprgriggs
01-11-2006, 09:57 AM
AndyG needs to jump in here...as I remember he has LEDs all over the place including the platform. Biggest complaint is the wiring...what a PITA.

My last boat we did LED lighting through out the whole boat including the cooler and platform. The teak makes the job easier because the lights and wire attach with screws... good luck with fiberglass. For those of you that would like to wire the plateform without drilling a hole through the boat look at the tie down. On my 05 X9 the hooks where under the platform. You can attach the wiring on the hook inside the boat simply by using a bolt. We attached the wire to the bolt and then just screwed the bolt to the hook inside the rear ski locker. Then just attach the wire to the hook on the out side of the boat using a circle hook for stereo wiring. One hook will be positive and one black.

If anyone needs more help let me know. I might be able to contact the new owner and see if he can get pictures.

Also, If you want the LED's to light the water you have to point them down some. Most MC platforms are just off the water so the lights miss the water while stopped but look great when moving.

Good Luck

Stritt
01-11-2006, 09:59 AM
I used some LED and Neon on our old Anniversary boat...lots of comments and looked really good. Pic probably will not do it justice due to resize....Platform lights can also be accomplished by using 50 watt Halogen 12 volt fishlights mounted under the platform..This allowed 150 watts of light to the underwater mounting location and would shine up to about 5-6 ft of water to bottom of lake.....wiring was not the bad for what I did because most was in place with factory LED's, a little spicing into the same circuit and done.....It makes for great mood lighting a night.... ;)

Simple Led/Neon Kits all from Best Buy...Pond kit from Lowes.

Wiring the Platform lights was the most difficult decision....so instead of drill into the boat....I wired all the lights into a trailer style plug. Then wired the boat.....when I wanted lights i could pull the wire from the air vent located under the lip in a 197, and simple plug in......since it was not exposed in daylight you neer knew the wire was there....at night well....didn;t care the 2 wires were exposed...and no one would notice if not pointed out....better alternative than drilling in my opinion, place with our garage the platform needed to be removed, so a connection point was necesary either way.

Speaker lights were really the neatest part of the lighting at night...The boat had Polk Momo speakers and a single LED mounted in the grill lit the entire speake surface and lit up the Polk name....Again, low current draw meant running the led lead to a wire run from the existing courtesy light circuit.

Neon tubes....Much more light than the led's and never had the light broadcating in beams...more uniformity in my opinion....also had a feature that would adjust bright/dimness to the sound....aka Music.

Ghetto.....Over the top? Maybe....but the whole boat was that way from MasterCraft I just took it to another level.

wakespecialty
01-11-2006, 11:17 AM

We use a SPYDR Harness - a wire harness that has two circuits. It is run from the dash panel back along the starboard gunnel, across the back and back up the port side gunnel. The harness has 12 female plugs on each circuit (24 total) and can be doubled with 1:2 spliters. Once the harness is installed, place the LED and plug it into an open plug. The two circuits gives you some flexibility in design - ie: we control the interior "accent" lights with one circuit and the speaker rings with the other. Makes adding or upgrading later a breeze.

KCheeseman
01-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey, where are you buying these parts, I am interested in doing this in my boat. Company name, manufactuar would be helpful. Thanks
Kevin

flipper
01-11-2006, 09:39 PM
cool, but i dont think i would want my beer lit up for the popo to see.
Got to agree there! :toast: Still like the way it looks though. I would like to do something like that also, but different spots on my boat.

SKI*MC
01-11-2006, 09:47 PM
My boat only has 1 cup holder. That was back in the day when people skied their a$$es off, and drank the lake water for energy!

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 10:06 PM
My boat only has 1 cup holder. That was back in the day when people skied their a$$es off, and drank the lake water for energy!

Back when you were just a new born?

SKI*MC
01-11-2006, 10:11 PM
lol even before that! when 1 cup holder was pure luxuery! It meant that you didnt have to put the beer between your legs anymore! 8p

Workin' 4 Toys
01-14-2006, 06:47 PM
My vote, YEAH, for sure. Looks great. All of these ideas sound cool.

Andyg
01-15-2006, 12:07 AM
I installed a ton of LEDs in my 2003 PS197 last spring. I have them in both coolers, under the spotters seat, in the glove box, under the dash, in the gunnels, in the ski locker, in the exhaust vents, in the grab/tow rail and lastly under the platform.

I mounted 7 LEDs with three lights in each housing under the platform. For each housing I drilled a hole through the hull in the compartment where the gas tank is. I fed the leads through the hole and then seal it with silicone. I then drilled holes for the screws that held the housing to the hull and put a layer of silicone between the housing and the hull and in the screw holes. Installed the screws added a nother bead of silicone around the housing and on top of the screw heads. No leaks. The only thing I worry about is water getting into the fiberglass and casuing problems. One thing to note, don't use red LEDs under the platform. They are not bright enough to show up in stained water. I guess I just have to add more this spring.

I will agree with MYMC in that the only thing that sucks about this project is how time consuming the wiring is. I redid my wiring three times. I also did it with waterproof shrinkwrap butt splices. I wired all the LEDs into two seperate switches. Those inside the boat got one switch and those outside the boat got another.

Here is a photo of the lights under the platform.

Andyg
01-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Here is a photo with the platform removed. You can see the LEDs from the rear vents also.

Andyg
01-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Here is a picture of the grab/tow rail that MYMC sold me.

Andyg
01-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Lastly here is one of the gunnels that I did with LED rope light.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Here is a photo with the platform removed. You can see the LEDs from the rear vents also.
Wow, that's cool. How much brighter does it get when you apply the brakes??;)
I have to wonder(to myself) does this do anything to resale? Is it worth more for the cool factor, or less because it was unique to the previous owner?

aprgriggs
01-15-2006, 10:07 AM
That is a great looking setup the grab handle really looks great. Your picture shows the hooks that I used to run the power through and into the boat. One Positive and the other black.... makes wiring real easy with out drilling. Gives a great alternative for easy install.

I installed a ton of LEDs in my 2003 PS197 last spring. I have them in both coolers, under the spotters seat, in the glove box, under the dash, in the gunnels, in the ski locker, in the exhaust vents, in the grab/tow rail and lastly under the platform.

I mounted 7 LEDs with three lights in each housing under the platform. For each housing I drilled a hole through the hull in the compartment where the gas tank is. I fed the leads through the hole and then seal it with silicone. I then drilled holes for the screws that held the housing to the hull and put a layer of silicone between the housing and the hull and in the screw holes. Installed the screws added a nother bead of silicone around the housing and on top of the screw heads. No leaks. The only thing I worry about is water getting into the fiberglass and casuing problems. One thing to note, don't use red LEDs under the platform. They are not bright enough to show up in stained water. I guess I just have to add more this spring.

I will agree with MYMC in that the only thing that sucks about this project is how time consuming the wiring is. I redid my wiring three times. I also did it with waterproof shrinkwrap butt splices. I wired all the LEDs into two seperate switches. Those inside the boat got one switch and those outside the boat got another.

Here is a photo of the lights under the platform.