PDA

View Full Version : Garage/Yard Sales

BriEOD
01-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Well, we are having a garage sale next weekend. Anyone have any good tips advice?

rodltg2
01-10-2006, 01:41 PM
dont have any advice, but sounds like your in for a good time.

bcampbe7
01-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Be ready for the early birds and if you have anything in the garage that is not for sale, watch it so it doesn't "walk off." My Dad had a new battery charger stolen from a garage sale a few years ago.

ski_king
01-10-2006, 02:02 PM
As long as the weather is good, your customers will come.

I didn't have one this year, but we cleaned out my moms garage this spring down to the bare walls and floor. While the stuff was piled in the driveway we had at least 15 cars stop thinking it was a garage sale.

Luckly we got the last one to haul away our junk pile and saved me a trip to the dump.

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I'll second "be ready for the early birds." Around here, come 10 a.m., it's pretty much over. When I opened the garage door to walk outside and set up at 6:30 a.m., there were already 3 grey haireds waiting impatiently. They are on a schedule, and if you're slowing them down, they'll bolt.

I have a friend who doesn't price anything so people will come talk to him and he can give them a little story behind the item. I'm up front and price everything.

Hang clothes so people don't mess up your display.

Unless DVDs are wrapped in plastic, they're $4--$5 items at the most.

Have at least one "big ticket" item.

Goodwill will come and pick things up. Itemize everything beforehand and come up with a price you think you could get for it on ebay (rather than a garage sale). Take the time with Goodwill to go through everything piece by piece (and take digital pictures). Then donate it and take a charitable donation deduction on your income tax. We probably did as well on the deduction as we did on our garage sale two years ago.

M-Funf
01-10-2006, 02:17 PM
We had one last year at a friends house, and the early birds were there at 7AM. Kept looking around and making offers, but we wouldn't let them buy until 9AM when it started. That way, their lowball offers might go up when the others arrive.

Watch out for people who "hide" items. Take an item, put it under a table or something so nobody else can find it, then pull it out when nobody's around and make a lowball offer.

Most important...HAVE FUN! We played music and drank champagne all morning :friday:

BriEOD
01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas.

starman205
01-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Price everything in increments of $1's or quarters. Easier to make change. Also Cash only!! unless you know the buyer. :wavey:

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Also, if you're selling a desk or table, don't use it to display other things. Even if it has a price tag on it, lots of people will not understand it's for sale.

Also, buy a case of bottled water at Sam's or Costco, put it on ice, and sell it for $1.50. Most of these people are doing the Garage Sale circuit and will gladly give you a buck-and-a-half for water.

jimmer2880
01-10-2006, 02:50 PM
.....Goodwill will come and pick things up. Itemize everything beforehand and come up with a price you think you could get for it on ebay (rather than a garage sale). Take the time with Goodwill to go through everything piece by piece (and take digital pictures). Then donate it and take a charitable donation deduction on your income tax. We probably did as well on the deduction as we did on our garage sale two years ago.

We have comtemplated hosting a yardsale many times. But, we decided it was better to get a good value from donating it to Goodwill & take the write-off.

Good luck!

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 03:01 PM
It'll definitely save you some time if you don't mind waiting for the taxman to get the money to you.

X-45
01-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Keep an eye on what you wife put out for sale. My wife called it junk, I called it my future projects.

:eek: :(

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Depending on how much you have to move, an ad in the paper can bring in some business. It also doesn't hurt to make up flyers and signs.

rodltg2
01-10-2006, 03:32 PM
then you gotta take the signs down :mad:

maristarman
01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Take each item, or group of items and then fill in this blank with it.

"I would rather donate this to a charity than sell it for less than _____".

Once you've got the absolute minimum you will take for an item then double the price.

The "Garage Sale" mentality is always looking for a bargain. I made the mistake in my first garage sale in putting the prices that I thought were actually reasonable, and then when people started offering half or less on the prices they saw, I think I got ulcers.

Now when we have garage sales we always put double what we want, and then when people start whittling down, its no big deal.

You can have some fun and still get rid of all your junk.

:D

twieder
01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, we are having a garage sale next weekend. Anyone have any good tips advice?
Don't! My wife used to have one a year. That's 1full day of work for me cleanin and settin up tables,etc, then another to tear down just to make maybe 50 bucks. Now everything goes to Salvation Army or Red Cross. Makes for a nice tax deduction at the end of the year.

Maristar210
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I agree with Eastie's sell water comment. My son set up a sugar free (old people are diabetics) lemonade stand and made a killing.

Also try to resist the temptation to accept a low offer on a big ticket item first thing in the morning. There many "lowballers" who arrive early with cash and are only interested in turning a profit and capitalizing on your acceptance of a low offer. Of course this goes out the window if it's your wife crap that's just taking up room in your garage. Remember who owns the garage.....good luck... :friday:
Steve

Ryan
01-10-2006, 05:37 PM
I've done a few of them and we always make a couple hundred bucks.

Try a a multi-family event. It's way more fun. We tell a few friends we are doing one and they bring stuff over. More and better merchandise draws in the drive-by folks and before you know it you've got a croud drawing a croud.

Make big signs and if you're selling anything fun or attention grabbing put it on the sign too (tools, ladders, furniture). I believe in catching people already out garage sale hopping, and skip the ads unless you have a piano, or something big and higher $.

Get some big bright colored dots and price everything.

rodltg2
01-10-2006, 05:58 PM
the only way i could handle it if i sat there a drank beer all day

Footin
01-10-2006, 06:10 PM
To attract a crowd, invite Skeelers models.

vegashomeexpert
01-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Put a jar on a table labeled "tips". Every little bit helps. ;)

BriEOD
01-10-2006, 08:51 PM
To attract a crowd, invite Skeelers models.
I don't see my wife digging on that. :D

Cloaked
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, we are having a garage sale next weekend. Anyone have any good tips advice?Never work for below minimum wage... :uglyhamme

Good luck and have fun. I did my last one this past summer... LOL...

I did get to see a lot of hot chicks passing through the driveway...

bcampbe7
01-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't see my wife digging on that. :D

snip...

Wear sunglasses even if it is cloudy. :D

BriEOD
01-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Wear sunglasses even if it is cloudy. :D
That are mirrored! 8p

sizzler
01-11-2006, 06:56 AM
That are mirrored! 8p
and have wrap-around sides :D

ski_king
01-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Keep your camera handy....

Dan K
01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
If you have tools, put that on your signage. Tools and baby clothes are the big draws. However, My mother in law sold empty mayonase jars for .25 each. It always amazes me what people will buy.

BriEOD
01-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

ski_king
01-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Anything MC related beside a trailer rim and a MC hat?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Scratch the whole idea, anything worth selling, list in on an auction site. Throw the rest away.:D

BriEOD
01-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Well, the garage is ready to go! I am friggin' tired.

I tried to put up signs last night for better marketing but the homeowner nazis took them down. Fortunately my neighbor had some and I just got done running around on my ATV putting them up.

I hope all this sh!t sells otherwise I'm loading it on my trailer and kicking it out at Good Will. It is not going on the moving truck.

Gotta hit the rack day break is coming quick. :rolleyes:

Hoosier Bob
01-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Is anyone else picturing Brieod saying,"Heck yeah those are genuine Larry Bird autographed Keds!" Better freakin' buy them cause I have a seventh grader down the street getting a deposit! :D

BriEOD
01-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Is anyone else picturing Brieod saying,"Heck yeah those are genuine Larry Bird autographed Keds!" Better freakin' buy them cause I have a seventh grader down the street getting a deposit! :D
LMFAO!!!

I sold a bunch of old Miami Dolphins stuff I had. It had just been sitting in the attic (not my 72' fins autogrpahed poster or my Marino helmet).

Well We grossed about $1050. I got a $100 in change and $15 in signs. I'd say we did alright. The best part is I got rid of a ton of stuff.

rodltg2
01-21-2006, 12:19 PM
sale is over already?

Hoosier Bob
01-21-2006, 12:38 PM
I am a huge Dolfan! Just tossed about 20 years of D Digest in the trash! All I have is a bunch of Bryan Cox autographed stuff. I wouldn't mind some Czonk or Kiick jerseys! LMFAO!!!

I sold a bunch of old Miami Dolphins stuff I had. It had just been sitting in the attic (not my 72' fins autogrpahed poster or my Marino helmet).

Well We grossed about $1050. I got a $100 in change and $15 in signs. I'd say we did alright. The best part is I got rid of a ton of stuff.

BriEOD
01-21-2006, 12:58 PM
sale is over already?
Yep, people are nuts. I opened my garage at 530am and people were waiting. :eek:

BriEOD
01-21-2006, 01:00 PM
I am a huge Dolfan! Just tossed about 20 years of D Digest in the trash! All I have is a bunch of Bryan Cox autographed stuff. I wouldn't mind some Czonk or Kiick jerseys!
I am to Bob. I have tons of Marino stuff. I have a big framed panoramic photo of Dolphins Stadium (was Pro Player then) of his last game with him under center and it is signed. I have his retirement edition helmet signed. But, my big treasure is the 72' Team Poster signed by every player and Shula. It's gotta be worth something. It's framed and hanging. My wife and I watch every game.

east tx skier
01-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Yep, people are nuts. I opened my garage at 530am and people were waiting. :eek:

Told you they'd be there early.

Hoosier Bob
01-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I am sure that poster gets more valuable every year!I am to Bob. I have tons of Marino stuff. I have a big framed panoramic photo of Dolphins Stadium (was Pro Player then) of his last game with him under center and it is signed. I have his retirement edition helmet signed. But, my big treasure is the 72' Team Poster signed by every player and Shula. It's gotta be worth something. It's framed and hanging. My wife and I watch every game.

vegashomeexpert
01-21-2006, 08:16 PM
LMFAO!!!

That would pay for a nice trip to Vegas. You could repeat the process for me and I would give you a nice commission and you could have a lot of fun in your off time? :smile:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2006, 12:32 AM
I am to Bob. I have tons of Marino stuff. I have a big framed panoramic photo of Dolphins Stadium (was Pro Player then) of his last game with him under center and it is signed. I have his retirement edition helmet signed. But, my big treasure is the 72' Team Poster signed by every player and Shula. It's gotta be worth something. It's framed and hanging. My wife and I watch every game.
I must be too, I sat through that stupid Jim Carey flick animal ranger or something, and saw Dan and thought, there is someone with talent in this movie. Does that make me a Dolphin fan?

erkoehler
01-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Man, that must have been a HUGE garage sale! Did you have alot of big ticket items or something? How'd you make so much?

BriEOD
01-22-2006, 08:39 AM
That would pay for a nice trip to Vegas. You could repeat the process for me and I would give you a nice commission and you could have a lot of fun in your off time? :smile:
Thanks, but no thanks. It is a lot of work and listening to people give you ridiculous offers is not any better.

BriEOD
01-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Man, that must have been a HUGE garage sale! Did you have alot of big ticket items or something? How'd you make so much?
It was pretty good size. My neighbors had on at the same time.

I had a pool table (cheap one), love seat, bench, crib, desk, air hockey table, patio furniture, baby stuff/clothes, clothes, VHS tapes, CDs, electric lawn tools, lawn furniture, toys, books, old computer, kids stuff,etc, etc.

I was happy with what we made but more happy about having it gone! I have a small box for Goodwill and the rest is going on my trailer and to the dump.

Mag_Red
01-22-2006, 08:47 AM
It was pretty good size. My neighbors had on at the same time.

I had a pool table (cheap one), love seat, bench, crib, desk, air hockey table, patio furniture, baby stuff/clothes, clothes, VHS tapes, CDs, electric lawn furniture, toys, books, old computer, kids stuff,etc, etc.

I was happy with what we made but more happy about having it gone! I have a small box for Goodwill and the rest is going on my trailer and to the dump. :eek: Exactly how does that work?? All my lawn furniture is Manually operated. :D

6ballsisall
01-22-2006, 08:51 AM
:eek: Exactly how does that work?? All my lawn furniture is Manually operated. :D

On that subject at Bass Pro shops today I saw some foldup recliner chairs. They were just like those canvas chairs that fold up into a tent sized bag except these had recliners built into them as well. Pretty cool stuff as long as you havent' had one to many beers before sitting in it :D

BriEOD
01-22-2006, 09:02 AM
:eek: Exactly how does that work?? All my lawn furniture is Manually operated. :D
Happy now Mr. Smarty pants. 8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-22-2006, 09:40 AM

***!!!!????? 5:30 AM ???? :eek: ***!!!! DOnt those people have lives? dont they sleep? are they machines?? I dont understand that. someone please help me here. What the hell is wrong with someones life that they have to be WAITING at someones house for them to open a garage sale??? :rolleyes: I am truly baffled.

UMP

BriEOD
01-22-2006, 01:30 PM
UMP,

I'm going to speculate that those people are flea market dealers. They hit the garage/yard sales early to get the good stuff. Then they mark it up and sell it at the flea markets. It is a sad way to make a living. :twocents:

Leroy
01-22-2006, 01:56 PM
My Mom (84) loves going to the garage sales and will brag about spending something small like $1.37 and getting something she really wanted!

BriEOD
01-22-2006, 06:11 PM
I had a chair and dresser left from the sale. About 2 pm today some lady knocks on my door and asks if I still have them. Her sister told her about my sale. So, I sold the last 2 major thing. To funny. People will buy anything. :eek:

Hoosier Bob
01-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I think it is similar to ebay. One is the bidding and border line gambling while the other is the thrill of the hunt. The stories about people buying million dollar paintings for twenty bucks don't hurt either. :D My Mom (84) loves going to the garage sales and will brag about spending something small like $1.37 and getting something she really wanted!

Leroy
01-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Even though Mom took a computer course and can email now, I don't think Ebay is in her future!