PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon boats

ski36short
01-10-2006, 01:14 PM
I think I'm going to add a party barge to the fleet this year and I'm going to start looking at boat shows this weekend. I'm in the market for something lightly used or maybe a new 2005 if the price is right. I have some ideas on features/configuration that I'd want but otherwise I'm not too familiar with the market. I definitely want a 4-stroke, a decent sundeck, lots of cupholders ( :toast: ), a cover, maybe a bimini. I'm sure that the bigger the pontoons the better but that's about it. I plan on adding a stereo myself so we can save that discussion for later. What else do I want to look for (boat brands, power brands, features, construction techniques)? Avoid?

G-man
01-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Nothing beats a Bennington, look at the boat show and have the sales people tell you and show you how they are constructed. Then make your decision.

baedriver
01-10-2006, 01:21 PM
My in-laws a few years ago bought a new landau 24ft huge sundeck with a 125 merc it great.. We use it and put anwhere between 10 and 14 people on it. We don't use the grill much but is is great pontoon.

I see lots of people with premiere pontoons out here but don't know much about them.

rodltg2
01-10-2006, 01:23 PM
just curious, i dont want one, but whats there price range when buying new? i know there must be a bunch a diffrent ones , but just an idea.

MarkP
01-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I think I'm going to add a party barge to the fleet this year and I'm going to start looking at boat shows this weekend. I'm in the market for something lightly used or maybe a new 2005 if the price is right. I have some ideas on features/configuration that I'd want but otherwise I'm not too familiar with the market. I definitely want a 4-stroke, a decent sundeck, lots of cupholders ( :toast: ), a cover, maybe a bimini. I'm sure that the bigger the pontoons the better but that's about it. I plan on adding a stereo myself so we can save that discussion for later. What else do I want to look for (boat brands, power brands, features, construction techniques)? Avoid?
The January (06 boat buyers guide) edition of Boating Life Magazine has a pontoon boat section detailing some twenty or so different model/manufactures. Have you looked that over yet??

MarkP
01-10-2006, 01:33 PM
just curious, i dont want one, but whats there price range when buying new? i know there must be a bunch a diffrent ones , but just an idea.
Rod, If I remember the buyers guide I think I saw them from like 18 to 75..

mitch
01-10-2006, 01:47 PM
I paid $13.5K for the one in the pic. 24' 50hp merc 2-stroke. Bought it leftover in 2K. Trailer was $1.5K. You're right, go for bigger pontoons and 4-stroke, and don't overpower it, unless you need it. My 50 moves it fine, and I rarely open it up. No grill, changing room, sink, fishing seats etc, just don;t need that stuff and it takes up too much room. I remember Harris-Kayote(sp) being the best, but pricey! Seems 18-20K would get a nice one. They're so much fun!

mitch
01-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Forgot to add, they all seem to come w/ a bimini and I'd recommend getting the full cover, not just furniture covers. Best pic I could find quickly.

bcampbe7
01-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Rod, If I remember the buyers guide I think I saw them from like 18 to 75..

$75K Pontoon boat?!? :eek:

Someone on here designs/builds Pontoon boats (LakeTippySkier I think). He has one that has something like 450HP and will do 60+MPH! :firejump:

mitch
01-10-2006, 01:55 PM
$75K Pontoon boat?!? :eek:

Someone on here designs/builds Pontoon boats (LakeTippySkier I think). He has one that has something like 450HP and will do 60+MPH! :firejump:
We have one on our lake, small block i/o thru hull exhaust, looks like it'll do 50+

bcampbe7
01-10-2006, 01:56 PM
We have one on our lake, small block i/o thru hull exhaust, looks like it'll do 50+

That's awesomely insane.

ski_king
01-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Check out this link (http://www.tmcowners.com/index.php?) by Lake Tippy Skier. If I remember right he works for a pontoon manufacture.
There is a link in his profile that shows some nice ones.

Opps that s the wrong link.

Datdude
01-10-2006, 03:43 PM
My parents have a 22' Sanpan which is made by Godfrey Marine. They have a 40hp Merc and it does the trick. There are different levels of pontoons as far as interior quality goes and it shows. They looked at everything and thought the Sanpan was the best value (around $23,000). Pontoons can be really fun with a large group and hella beer :uglyhamme

ski36short
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
That's awesomely insane.

Yeah that's crazy. I have the ski boat for stuff like that, I don't need to become one of them flying across the lake in a pontoon (unless I'm caught in the rain!). I'm thinking a 22-24 footer with about 50 HP of 4-stroke would do the trick. I did peruse the Boating Life test yesterday - I happened upon it at a co-worker's desk. Bennington does seem to be the cream of the crop and are priced as such. My ski buddy picked up what seems to be a nice Sun Tracker last year and the local dealer seems to have plenty in my price range. Also Bentley, Crest and uplevel Tahoes seem to fit the bill from what I gather at this point.

twieder
01-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Playcraft builds some prettc awsome toons. The're VERY pricey though, but have a ton of options.They actually make them with twin inboards. the engines are in the pontoons from what I understand.www.playcraftboats.com (http//www.playcraftboats.com)

erkoehler
01-10-2006, 04:12 PM
I have seen some for as cheap as 6-8K in Northern WI and those are powered by 30-40hp outboards. Then, they pretty much go up from there. The engine is really what can drive up the price of a pontoon, and if you already have a MC you don't need the toon to go that fast you just want it to be HUGE!!!!

hleepert
01-10-2006, 04:47 PM
I have a 20' Crest with a two cycle 40hp motor. I'd suggest a 4-stroke to cut down on noise and fumes.

6ballsisall
01-10-2006, 06:53 PM

We have one our lake that has a GM350. For giggles on ski team we tried to pull some skiers. Pulled a 3 high pyramid with ease.

mattsn
01-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Godfrey marine makes the best and has the best value. Top of line is the Sanpan and we can equip with Honda, Yamaha or Merc. Godfrey recently merged with Rinker Boats. Don't look for any change, but the parts distribution for Godfrey will improve.

Sell for a MC dealer and we also handle Godfrey. Biggest seller in our area.

LakePirate
01-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Year before last at the Boat Show the new deal was a hard sun deck / roof. Had a ladder so you could climb up and lay out / jump off. I thought it would be great to take to the slalom course for the ladies to lay out on while skied the course. Plus it gives you a great vantage point to watch.

justindacey
08-22-2006, 01:10 PM
www.suntrackerboats.com ...i'm a dealer...they have by far the best boats for the money out there!

88 PS190
08-22-2006, 01:14 PM
interesting, are you also a MC owner??

SD190EVO
08-22-2006, 02:05 PM
I always thought they were for geezer-fishermen but the wife wanted one and I have to admit it has been fun.

88 PS190
08-22-2006, 02:27 PM
If you are on a larger lake or if there is a river system near you you'll want the large engine models.

Our neighbor with a 40 is selling to go bigger, our other neighbor with a 90 hp 4 stroke rides the sky ski behind it when they have alot of guests along.

mattsn
08-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Look at the new Sanpan Designer series. Aluminum rails are anodized to match the color of the boat. Includes upgraded Sunbrella interior and an outstanding subwoofer are standand. Kenwood CD is iPod compatabile and broadcasts great sounds.

I have the 2200 BC with a 115 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Retails for around 29K, but I work for a dealer so I paid much less.

Check

http://www.godfreymarine.com

ski36short
08-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Well to update an old thread that was resurrected, I didn't buy a pontoon. I got a new ski boat instead. :cool:

6ballsisall
08-23-2006, 12:14 PM
FIL called me last week from California. He was going 65 mph on a tooner that had a 300hp Merc on it!!!!:eek3: Personally I'd be scared to go that fast on a toon!!!

6ballsisall
08-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Well to update an old thread that was resurrected, I didn't buy a pontoon. I got a new ski boat instead. :cool:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

mitch
08-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Look at the new Sanpan Designer series. Aluminum rails are anodized to match the color of the boat. Includes upgraded Sunbrella interior and an outstanding subwoofer are standand. Kenwood CD is iPod compatabile and broadcasts great sounds.

I have the 2200 BC with a 115 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Retails for around 29K, but I work for a dealer so I paid much less.

Check

http://www.godfreymarine.com

Sanpans are awesome, my buddy's got one, and ultra high quality...about 30K for his too.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Gotta have this stickin' out the back of a 'toon...........:woohoo:

88 PS190
08-23-2006, 12:46 PM
wonder if you still have to slow all the way down to turn with one of those. or if you can turn at WOT

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 12:48 PM
wonder if you still have to slow all the way down to turn with one of those. or if you can turn at WOT
By the looks of it, they didn't design it to turn.....;)

jake
08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I have a 20' Crest with a two cycle 40hp motor. I'd suggest a 4-stroke to cut down on noise and fumes.

Before you go with a 4-stroke, check out the new ultra high emission standards 2 strokes such as the Evinrude E-TECH. They directly inject the oil on the wear items, not in the combustion chamber. Quieter, smoother, better fuel economy, cleaner emissions, and far less maintenance than a 4 stroke. They even winterize themselves automagically. Supposed to be the latest and greatest. I bought a pontoon just last week, got the E-TECH 90 horse on it....very happy so far, but only about 6 hours on it.

justinlkgb
08-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Bennington.

Datdude
08-23-2006, 02:01 PM
For as simple as they are it is amazing how much they are charging for pontoons.

Why don't they call them PONTOONS Boats since there are more than one pontoon?

I saw one on a trailer in town that had "The Poon Toon" written on the back:uglyhamme

mattsn
08-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I would be carefully about looking at eTec's. While they are 2 strokes and oil injected, they do not winterize themselves. Also, let us know how many plugs you burn up in the first 100 hours.

jake
08-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I would be carefully about looking at eTec's. While they are 2 strokes and oil injected, they do not winterize themselves. Also, let us know how many plugs you burn up in the first 100 hours.

funny...according to my owners manual it does.

What's up with them burning through plugs? You have a bad experience with an E-tech?

Bongo
08-23-2006, 11:38 PM
As you can see from the thread, lots of different opinions. So here's my $0.02...

If you've got a ski boat, it is very unlikely you'll pull anyone behind the pontoon boat. Unless you're making long runs to get from your launch point to your party point, 50hp seems about the right size. If I recall, many homeowner's insurance policies cover liability for boats up to 50hp.

I'd opt for a 4 stroke. Much quieter than your typical 2 stroke and no blue haze.

Go light on the amenities. Porta-potty? Just something for the boat owner to clean out. Changing room? Takes too much room. Big captains console? Why... In my case, I have enough furniture to store the life jackets, floating toys, etc. and use those cheap plastic adirondack for the rest. This way, the circle in the discussion can be as small or big as the number of passenger's you've got onboard.

If you have a choice, go with the larger diameter 'toons. Larger carrying capacity. Higher above any rollers that come your way, etc.

Length? I once had a 28' pontoon. With a cross wind, docking that was a challenge.

For me? I've got a 22' pontoon from a no-name manufacturer (TMC Marine from somewhere in western Wisconsin), 23" diameter tubes, 50 hp Honda 4-stroke, bimini top, fitted pontoon cover, furniture along the back and partially up one side, and ladder.

Very dependable and stable, yet not something I fret about. I don't care if people bring Cheetos, pretzels and colored fru-fru drinks aboard; a garden hose will wash it off and the sun will dry it out.

Often, it doesn't leave our dock. When it does, we often just pull to the middle of the lake and swim from it. If we've got enough people, it serves as our launch base when pulling people behind the MasterCraft.

Bongo

jake
08-24-2006, 08:53 AM
As you can see from the thread, lots of different opinions. So here's my $0.02...

If I recall, many homeowner's insurance policies cover liability for boats up to 50hp.

Bongo

You probably want to check your policy, mine (American Family) covers outboards up to 25 hp.

ski36short
09-06-2006, 02:38 PM
OK I guess I can come clean. Sorry if I'm crossing the line here Eastie, but I don't think it's too blatant. Here she is at my ski club on Monday. Got me within sight of the exit gates at 35 off for the first time but I couldn't pull it out...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/ski36short/Boats/NautiquePitDocSmall.jpg

tones03
09-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Neighbors of ours just bought a Bennington with 2 captains chairs up front, best decision ever, very comfortable. The boat also lots of cupholders and a great stereo.