PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Watersports Complex

kjohnson
01-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I recently visited the cable ski park in Orlando. I was not impressed. Has anyone else been and what is your opinion?

Byrdman
01-10-2006, 10:20 AM
If you dont have a boat, or friends who do, it is about your only option for wakeboarding. I have been a few times, and I only live about 45 min away. Personally, I prefer wakeboarding to skiing, and I like to hit a big wake and catch air, not use wire tension and centrifical force to get there. But if you dont have a choice, and you like to do a lot of sliders, it is OK.

I almost forgot why I really dont like it that much, if you fall you can get a long swim and a long walk back to the platforms, and that really sucks.

Maristar210
01-10-2006, 12:35 PM
I need to hear more about this please as I was considering going thre next month when I am not shaking Mickey's hand (jeeesh)

Chime in on what it like if you don't mind. Its hard to tell from the photo's.

Steve

kjohnson
01-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I did two things. I rented time behind a boat at $50/hr. There is barely enough room to turn the boat around after a pass and there aren't any islands at the end (so you are constantly crossing wakes and never really get much flat water). The lake averages 8' deep so the water temp varies a lot. I was there two weeks ago with a shortie wetsuit and it was very cold. Oh, if you schedule a boat and change your mind, make sure you give a two week cancellation or they will charge you.

I also tried the cable ski. It is like skiing on a rubber band.

That was my take on it. If you are a wakeboarder, it might be a little better. I went to slalom ski.

Cloaked
01-10-2006, 02:28 PM
.........Chime in on what it like if you don't mind.

Steve
Margaretville Cafe at Universal City.... Fine food, great outdoor perches for people watching, and a fun time... :cool:

rodltg2
01-10-2006, 02:43 PM
do they have a course set up on the cable ski? thats got to be wierd if they do.

EricB
01-10-2006, 02:50 PM
I visited OWC 2 times last winter when I was at the Golf Show. The experience was acceptable and (at that time) relativley inexpensive and easy to get to. I only had certain times I could go (small blocks of time) so it worked out well.
If I had more time (like a complete day or a good portion of a day) I would of selected one of the other ski schools in the area. OWC was the most flexible with 1/2 hr time slots.

Byrdman
01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
I need to hear more about this please as I was considering going thre next month when I am not shaking Mickey's hand (jeeesh)

Chime in on what it like if you don't mind. Its hard to tell from the photo's.

Steve

Steve, what do you want to do? Do you want to go skiing or wakeboarding? If you want to go Wakeboarding, you will have a better time, but if you want to go skiing or barefooting, you might want to try something else, IMO.

kjohnson
01-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Yes they have a course set up for cable skiing. It is harder than skiing behind the boat for me.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I can't remember the name of the place right now, but there is another cable lake at a water "park" In Orlando too. Went there last year. Hoohumm.... Maybe it was watersports, I don't recall...

Maristar210
01-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Steve, what do you want to do? Do you want to go skiing or wakeboarding? If you want to go Wakeboarding, you will have a better time, but if you want to go skiing or barefooting, you might want to try something else, IMO.

Thanks guys.

I wanted to take my eight year old with me and both of us Wakeboard. I just don't know about the rails and such as we have nothing of the sort here. Sounds like an immediate faceplant for me.

Steve

Byrdman
01-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys.

I wanted to take my eight year old with me and both of us Wakeboard. I just don't know about the rails and such as we have nothing of the sort here. Sounds like an immediate faceplant for me.

Steve

If you are wiling to drive 45min to an hour south of Orlando. I'll take you and your son as long as there are no schedule conflicts. Pitch in a little for gas and let me know your schedule ahead of time. Let me know if you would like to go out on the our Chain of Lakes and see Cypress Gardens Ski Show from Lake Eloise.

Evan Jones
01-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I went last year. Unless you bring your own board and helmet I think you can only run the course without obstacles. The good course is very busy with young kids with their own equipment and most of them are pretty good. I ran the beginners course for an hour. It wasn't busy, and it was a fun time for a while. I wouldn't want to go every weekend, but it was a novelty for the first time.

skiboy
01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
I've skied down there the last 4 years, now i ski, full course on the lake, and it is cheaper than ski schools. Never had problems booking time and my average times on the boat is about 40 minutes , a very good bunch of guys down there.

Maristar210
01-11-2006, 05:06 PM
If you are wiling to drive 45min to an hour south of Orlando. I'll take you and your son as long as there are no schedule conflicts. Pitch in a little for gas and let me know your schedule ahead of time. Let me know if you would like to go out on the our Chain of Lakes and see Cypress Gardens Ski Show from Lake Eloise.

I appreciate the offer but we will be car less for our four day stay. The wife might have other ideas too. I have not been briefed of the itenerary.

Steve

Byrdman
01-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I appreciate the offer but we will be car less for our four day stay. The wife might have other ideas too. I have not been briefed of the itenerary.

Steve

If you can get here the offer still stands, let me know.....

Ski-A-Rees
01-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know if you can use jump skis ( Show Skiing ) instead of wakeboards? It might be fun to do that for a day and might be cheaper than boat gas. LoL

Ski-A-Rees
01-12-2006, 02:08 PM
????????????

tex
01-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I rode my jumpers on a cable in Germany. It was fun for a while. They had the jump closed and would only open it after hours.

Maristar210
01-12-2006, 04:35 PM
If you can get here the offer still stands, let me know.....

I'll keep it in mind. I appreciate the offer. That's nice of you.

Steve

rem_pss308
01-13-2006, 03:32 AM
http://www.orlandowatersports.com/

It is better suited for wakebaording thean Ski's
It is fun, but as stated above. if you fall. you have to swim, then walk.
A lot different than on the boat.
My son goes to help tune his skills on the wakeboard.
The sliders are there if you want to use them. You dont have to.
You do, have to wear a helmet.
They have equipment you can rent. or bring your own.