PDA

View Full Version : Networking

pilot02
01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Ok, since we've seen some questions about ISP's answered here, I have one. How do I SECURELY share files between my desktop and wireless laptop WITHOUT using my desktop as the firewall for the internet connection. My setup is this, I have a cablemodem, then wireless router for connectivity (linksys WRK54G) and both machines are running Window's XP. According to what I'm reading, my options are to enable the firewall on both PC's since they both connect directly to the internet which will likely prevent connectivity and file sharing between the PC's. I can install a "gateway" whatever that is, or I can change the filesharing properties to something called IPX instead of the default TCP/IP.

Any answers out there??

bcampbe7
01-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Ok, since we've seen some questions about ISP's answered here, I have one. How do I SECURELY share files between my desktop and wireless laptop WITHOUT using my desktop as the firewall for the internet connection. My setup is this, I have a cablemodem, then wireless router for connectivity (linksys WRK54G) and both machines are running Window's XP. According to what I'm reading, my options are to enable the firewall on both PC's since they both connect directly to the internet which will likely prevent connectivity and file sharing between the PC's. I can install a "gateway" whatever that is, or I can change the filesharing properties to something called IPX instead of the default TCP/IP.

Any answers out there??

Do you mean WRT54G?

You can allow access to each PC with the Firewall enabled. You just have to configure the Firewall to allow the traffic between the 2 PC's.
Try ZoneAlarm, if you haven't already. It is a software based Firewall that works pretty well.

I would also enable WEP, or better yet WPA (encrytion). This will secure you data transfers fairly well.

Keep in mind that with wireless, your data will not be 100% secure. However, it is illegal (I believe on a Federal level) to break encrytion to steal data.

pilot02
01-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Do you mean WRT54G?

You can allow access to each PC with the Firewall enabled. You just have to configure the Firewall to allow the traffic between the 2 PC's.
Try ZoneAlarm, if you haven't already. It is a software based Firewall that works pretty well.

I would also enable WEP, or better yet WPA (encrytion). This will secure you data transfers fairly well.

Keep in mind that with wireless, your data will not be 100% secure. However, it is illegal (I believe on a Federal level) to break encrytion to steal data.

Thanks,
No, it's not the WRT54G, it's a WRK54G. Not sure of the difference there. Mine's just over a year old.

The Router is currently set for WEP (had to change from WPA with the preshared key so that my son could use his Nintendo DS)

I will check out the Zone Alarm though because everything I've seen about the XP firewall says it will block file transfers between the two computers.

areamike
01-10-2006, 11:24 AM
I will check out the Zone Alarm though because everything I've seen about the XP firewall says it will block file transfers between the two computers.

I run a WinXp SP2 Network at home and the XP built in Firewall does not affect file tranfers b/w my computers on the network. Just run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer, Enable File Sharing and specify the same Worksgroup during the Wizard and you should be off and sharing...
If you have Firewalled Network sharing issues, it is likely caused by some other thrid party Firewall Software. NIS(Norton Internet Security) is notorious for this.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2006, 04:14 PM
What is the best "bang for the buck" wireless router for home. I just got back from BB and it looks like $50.00 for netgear. Any suggestions?

bcampbe7
03-30-2006, 04:19 PM
What is the best "bang for the buck" wireless router for home. I just got back from BB and it looks like $50.00 for netgear. Any suggestions?

For home use, I like Linksys (www.linksys.com), but that's just my personal preference.

east tx skier
03-30-2006, 04:42 PM
We have Belkin at home. Our office has Linksys. I had a lot of trouble with the linksys software, but ultimately got it to work fine. Belkin has been trouble free with a great signal upstairs and down. I really like the wireless printing to the network.

Dan K
03-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Costco recently had the Belkin Pre N router with a Notebook card as well for a pretty good price, I do not currently remember the model or specif price. The Pre N or N will give very good coverage.

bigmac
03-30-2006, 06:43 PM

I'm not a big fan of Netgear routers (reliability issues IME) and tend to use Linksys. I like the ability to log onto the router for its programming and settings. I'm told that Belkin is good too, but have no experience with it.

If both the laptop and home computer are set up on the same domain (usually "workgroup") then a standard wireless router like the WRT54G allows all the computers on the network to share files just by setting file sharing privileges on individual folders. I leave my Windows XP firewalls disabled and don't use Zone Alarm or Norton - a hardware router like the WRT 54G gives excellent firewall protection. Likewise, I don't enable WEP. I don't necessarily recommend this, depending on your location. At my house, there are no other houses within the range of my wireless router. This is not a good idea if you live in an apartment complex, for example. Last time I was at my daughter's apartment, I noted there were 4 different unencrypted wireless networks I could log onto.

If you are interested in checking the security of your home system connected to the internet, check out Shields Up! (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) . This is a very comprehensive suite of utilities that really looks hard at all of your potential vulnerabilities.