PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew

CoFooter
01-10-2006, 02:22 AM
As I gaze out over the frozen tundra, my thougts turn to doing something more constructive than waiting around for the ice to thaw. Like standing around the turkey frier and brewing up a new home brew. OOOOH sweet nectar of the gods.

East Texas, I thought I saw on here once you has a recipe for Dos Equis? Any good.? Haven't had much luck with Mexican Lagers?

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 11:32 AM
My last batch was a Dos Equis Amber clone. There is a recipe here. http://www.defalcos.com/bbrecipe7.htm

I'm lazy though and just ordered the kit. I have an IPA kit currently, and am just looking for the opportunity to brew. I need to do it quick as, traditionally, I only brew during the Fall and Winter months. I also have a 1/2 barrell of commercial Dos Equis SL in the kegerator at the moment. So every time I've felt somewhat inspired, I've just poured myself another.

M-Funf
01-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking about going the kit route for my next batch as well. The kits are usually pretty good, and there's less thinking to be done 8p

An IPA kit would be perfect...maybe I'll stop by the local brew place this week and check it out.

Do you guys do your boil outdoors or indoors? My dad bought me one of those 15,000 BTU propane burners for the boil, but I haven't used it yet. The stove takes FOREVER to get a boil going, and the stove in my kitchen is too nice to risk boilover (and the wife would probably kill me for stinkin' up the kitchen or messing up the '47 O'Keefe), so I think I'm going to try the propane route.

:toast:

CoFooter
01-10-2006, 01:25 PM
My wife kicked me out of the kitchen into the garage after the second or third boil over. I use the turkey fryer burner with the garage door open. It get pretty toasty even in the winter and its pretty cool to hang out in the garage, drink beer and make beer with some buddies. The propane burner is very fast to boil, and maintain the boil for the hour plus.

East Texas - did you get a kit called Dos equis, or a Mexican Lager kit? Which brand, and did it taste good?

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Sorry, I forgot to post the link.

http://www.defalcos.com/bbrecipe7.htm

It's the Mexican Amber Lager. Yes, it was very good. My first lager and my best batch. Quite close to the original (only stronger). I presume their kit has a similar name although I didn't look. I always get the kits put together by the homebrew store with the grains in the bag. Sure, it's a little like making brownies from a mix, but it's fun and I don't have time to go AG or really even to start mixing and matching ingredients.

I am using a turkey fryer/propane burner on the back deck now. Wife didn't like the glorious smell of wort and we have an electric range inside, which made for long anticipation to the boils.