PDA

View Full Version : Internet ISP questions by a dummy

lakes Rick
01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
OK, I had comcast broadband and really liked it, but told em to take a hike when the price jumped up to over $50..... I have Net zero now and for a dial up its pretty good, but lets face it, dial up sucks.. My computer still seems to run on comcast (don't ask, you will just confuse me) so it does not work very efficient.. I want to take my computer in to an "expert" but before I do I would like to decide on a permanent ISP for me... Some questions.. And while I do appreciate the help, PLEASE do not get HI TECH with me as I will get lost.. Reminds me of when I was a kid when purchasing stereo.. Just tell me if it is gonna sound good!!!!!!!

1. Dial up.. The slowest, and over the phone line
2. DSL.. alot faster, and also over the phone line??
3. Comcast broadband. The fastest and over the cable line...
4. Wireless broadband?? Just as fast as cable, but wireless??

I just received my Qwest phone bill and they have some deal on some DSL Premier.. Is this over the phone line?? Would comcast broadband be faster??

If anyone can help me please no geezer jokes or complicated answers, Keep it simple for a simple mind... Thanks

LakePirate
01-09-2006, 09:15 PM
If you don't have any premium cable channels just sign up for the high speed internet from comcast and you will get basic cable. It all runs down the same pipe.

Why do you need to take your computer to an "expert"?

Farmer Ted
01-09-2006, 09:21 PM
OK, I had comcast broadband and really liked it, but told em to take a hike when the price jumped up to over $50..... I have Net zero now and for a dial up its pretty good, but lets face it, dial up sucks.. My computer still seems to run on comcast (don't ask, you will just confuse me) so it does not work very efficient.. I want to take my computer in to an "expert" but before I do I would like to decide on a permanent ISP for me... Some questions.. And while I do appreciate the help, PLEASE do not get HI TECH with me as I will get lost.. Reminds me of when I was a kid when purchasing stereo.. Just tell me if it is gonna sound good!!!!!!!

I just received my Qwest phone bill and they have some deal on some DSL Premier.. Is this over the phone line?? Would comcast broadband be faster??

If anyone can help me please no geezer jokes or complicated answers, Keep it simple for a simple mind... Thanks

Rick,

Look into getting an Internet Phone set up like Vonage or Packet8 and get rid of your phone line.

You might be able to save more money on getting rid of your traditional phone versus getting rid of Cable internet.

I doubt you'll save much more with DSL, they might get you in the door with a cheap or limited offer but I would suspect it won't be long before you're paying close to $50 a month.

What's your zip code?

Farmer Ted
01-09-2006, 09:28 PM
http://www.comcast.com/Buyflow/default.ashx?LocResult&Zip=97402

Choose from two sizzling-fast speeds.

Now Comcast offers a choice of connection speeds, so you can select the one that best fits your family's needs.

First, there's our high-velocity 6 Mbps/384 Kbps connection, which makes exploring the Internet quick, easy and affordable. Download files in seconds flat, and send files and photos lickety-split.

Or, for just $10 more per month, you can enjoy our top-speed connection, 8 Mbps/768 Kbps, and enjoy download speeds up to 70 times faster than 56K dial-up and five times as fast as 768K DSL. It's so unbelievably fast, you'll wonder how you ever surfed the Web without it
When you order Comcast High-Speed Internet, you'll have the option of ordering Home Networking, which enables you to connect up to five Internet-ready devices - computers, gaming devices - so each can surf the Web at the same time through a single cable connection.

Make sure you have the slower of the two Cable connections and go with the Vonage/Packet8 Phone

canceling your regular phone will save you at least $30 possibly more a month and remember that if you get rid of Cable and go with dial up you'll need to pay an ISP for access to the net that could be anywhere from $10 to 25

flipper
01-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I have sbc dsl. They set you up pretty good and for me it is lightning fast. My computer literate friends say it is quick, but there is better. For me I get the most bang for my buck through them. You do have to get sbc phone service though. SBC phone was cheaper than the other service that I had anyway though.

Cloaked
01-09-2006, 09:49 PM

1. Dial up.. The slowest, and over the phone line Yes
2. DSL.. alot faster, and also over the phone line?? Yes and DSL comes in three values of service, slow, medium, fast. I have a medium service from BellSouth and it suffices quite well, with me not being a gamer.
3. Comcast broadband. The fastest and over the cable line... Yes, faster but not the fastest, but for this thread, yes its probably fastest and is over a cable line, but the bandwidth may or may not be comparable to DSL, depending on your choice of variables, and how close or far away from the DSL hub you may be located.

4. Wireless broadband?? Just as fast as cable, but wireless??No, but wireless as in connectivity. Speed will likely be slower than a hard line of connectivity, such as cable or DSL

I just received my Qwest phone bill and they have some deal on some DSL Premier.. Is this over the phone line?? Yes
Would comcast broadband be faster?? Not necesarily. It all deppends on the bandwidth (which ultimately = speed) that each service provides.

See my remarks in red, in your quote...

Bottom line for what I gather here is you'll be content with DSL, middle of the line service. Low end is noticeably slow and the high end is not that much faster unless you're a gamer.

I refuse to pay one red cent to the Comcast price gouging a$$es. Not one red cent. I am on DSL and DTV for my television viewing. Works for me.

milkmania
01-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I had a computer customer that was on dial-up, dishnetwork, & southwestern Bell....

She switched to Cox Communications for her cable TV, broadband, and Lingo VOIP.

she's saving about $7.00 a month.

it don't sound like much, but she got a lot faster internet service and got out from any telephone company, and saved money!

Leroy
01-09-2006, 10:35 PM
I pay 29.95 for SBC DSL and have been happy with it. If you have multiple computers just get the basic DSL modem and buy cheap Wi-Fi router at Best Buy to connect to all of the computers. Otherwise you pay for each connection.
Can't imagine dial up again.

Thought about cable and cable modem, but the cable systems always seem so cheezy and charge rental for settop boxes and stupid things like that. I've been project manager for both DSL and cable modem developments at RCA. Now almost all are reference designs finished by Asia suppliers.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2006, 10:37 PM
My neighbor is looking into service via satellite. That should be fun. Not to mention, free wireless for me.....:o

Cable is the fastest and you get the most for your $ in my opinion.

Cloaked
01-09-2006, 11:22 PM
My neighbor is looking into service via satellite. That should be fun. Not to mention, free wireless for me.....:o

Cable is the fastest and you get the most for your $ in my opinion.Sat service is marginal at best on downloads and poor on uploads (IMHO). But what do you care? It's free.. :D :D

Cable is fine until it goes out. Again, I like DSL in the wintertime especially.

Comcast is down here a lot, but there again, what do I care? I have DSL? :D

Cloaked
01-09-2006, 11:23 PM
RoadRunner has the best thing going all around. They are an excellent ISP... $0.02

lakes Rick
01-10-2006, 12:18 AM
If you don't have any premium cable channels just sign up for the high speed internet from comcast and you will get basic cable. It all runs down the same pipe.

Why do you need to take your computer to an "expert"?

I want to have it checked out for spyware and such. Plus my netzero seems to use my old comcast download for part of its function..

lakes Rick
01-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Rick,

Look into getting an Internet Phone set up like Vonage or Packet8 and get rid of your phone line.

You might be able to save more money on getting rid of your traditional phone versus getting rid of Cable internet.

I doubt you'll save much more with DSL, they might get you in the door with a cheap or limited offer but I would suspect it won't be long before you're paying close to $50 a month.

What's your zip code?

Zip is 97478, springfield OR... Where the sheep run scared...

lakes Rick
01-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Most of the DSL's I see are not much less costwise than broadband..

Lots of different names of ISP's given to me on here.. Can I just call them and get signed up?? I assume I have to be in there service areas.. If I got rid of my Qwest phone line, would my phone # change?/ OH MY GOD, how would the babes call me???????

Thanks to all for the help.....Rick

Cloaked
01-10-2006, 07:20 AM
I want to have it checked out for spyware and such. Plus my netzero seems to use my old comcast download for part of its function..Adaware at ==www.download.com (intentionally not a hot link) or PM me for a full up version (for educational purposes only).

Lose Netzero, period. Yea, it's cheap...and it's cheap too....

Use the web to browse for ISPs. Otherwise a phone call will do. My ISP sent me an install Cd and a DSL modem. Easy to install. Done deal.

Yes, you need to be in a service area for the ISP (and most web sites of ISPs will check your number to confirm service availability, or not).

I pay $35 plus a few add-on expenses (less than $40 per month) for DSL.

Did I mention that Comcast can kiss my DSL? :D

Broadband ==> http://mktg.roadrunner.com/mk/get/requestservicenp?great=n&source=GoogleSSM

areamike
01-10-2006, 10:25 AM

Go with DSL if your Phone provider offers it. It will be cheaper than Cable, and can be just as fast if your House is close enough to the Central DSL office in your area.
Yes, DSL does go through the Phone lines, but DOES NOT affect your phone like dial up does. It uses the high frequency of the line while your phone uses the low end.
Don't even think about Satellite. You have to pay for the equipment and it runs close to 500 dollars. The service is then another 50-80 a month.
DSL should only cost you from 20-30 dollars a month.
You can always go with a "faster" speed DSL when you sign up if you are close enough to the Central Office, like i mentioned before. Also, DSL speeds will not fluxuate like Cable speeds will and do.

ALSO, About your computer. It will seem to run slower on a slower Internet Connnection. Don't be so quick to rush to your Local PC guy to get it looked at unless you really think there is a problem with it. I will say that over time, most PC's tend to "slow down" which is caused mostly by adware and spyware and just plain junk software loaded on it over time. Microsoft(for all you windows users) actually recommends you Format(wipe out) your Harddrive once a year and reload Windows in order to "keep it clean". This would be something for your PCguy to take care of unless you are skilled in that area.

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Rick, since I kicked the cable company out of my house seven years ago for a dish, when I went broadband, I went DSL. I've got the slowest in the SBC yahoo package and have been very happy with it. Pretty darned instantaneous as near as I can tell. Bundled with my phone service, my bill is a little over $50. They say $19 per month, but after all the taxes, it's closer to $26. It didn't jump much for me after the first year ended. Maybe $4--$5. Prior to getting it, my phone bill was $29 per month.

Installation/setup is really easy. They send you the modem and a bunch of filters for your phone line. Each of the filters has a voice port and a data port. You just plug them in all the phone jacks, run the software, plug in the modem, and you're good to go. The only time I've had an interruption in service is when I tried to plug another DSL modem in. That doesn't work. So, the problem was all on my end. I don't remember a single instance of it running slower than usual. Like I said, the slowest dsl seems plenty fast to me.

jimmer2880
01-10-2006, 12:47 PM
..... Microsoft(for all you windows users) actually recommends you Format(wipe out) your Harddrive once a year and reload Windows in order to "keep it clean". This would be something for your PCguy to take care of unless you are skilled in that area.

Really? Can you show me the Microsoft White page that says that? I have never heard that before & would love to show it to the Microsoft guys that work on my team (they work for Microsoft & are contracted to our group).

yes, Spyware, Virus', Malware in general WILL slow down your system. So will Disk Fragmentation. If you haven't de-frag'd your system in a while, do it & do it regularly (nightly). NTFS file system isn't near as bad as the old FAT & FAT32 (if you are running a file system that is FAT, convert it to NTFS ASAP), but it still gets fragmented.

areamike
01-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Really? Can you show me the Microsoft White page that says that? I have never heard that before & would love to show it to the Microsoft guys that work on my team (they work for Microsoft & are contracted to our group).

I can't recall where I read that...It's been quite a while. Well before Windows XP came out. I'll do some searching to see if I can find the article that I read.

jimmer2880
01-10-2006, 01:07 PM
I can't recall where I read that...It's been quite a while. Well before Windows XP came out. I'll do some searching to see if I can find the article that I read.

Ok - thanks.

Now - I have heard people say that before, but it was usually to either: defrag the system, or wipe all spyware, etc. Also, get into a practice of going into add/remove programs & removing software you are not using anymore, or were only installed because they came with something else that you do use.

My point is, run a good blocker, keep up to date on all your microsoft patches & keep your drive de-frag'd and you won't need to re-load until it's time to upgrade to the next OS (IE - moving from nt 4.0 to XP, or XP to Vista).

I've been an SA/Software engineer (mostly windows, but some *nix) for 16 years. They pay me rather well for the work I do and I can't complain. There is a lot of garbage out there in print on any subject imaginable, Especially when it comes to computers. Take everything you read with a grain of salt (like this post) and try to figure out the point the writer is trying to make. You will never hear me say, reload your os once year just to "clean it up". That would be stupid, instead, keep those things off your system to start with and don't come crying to me when webshots, or your weather watching tool brings your system to a crall.

bcampbe7
01-10-2006, 02:00 PM
snip...
and don't come crying to me when webshots, or your weather watching tool brings your system to a crall.

Amen to that!

jimmer2880
01-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Amen to that!

:friday:

Ok - then let's drink to it!

bcampbe7
01-10-2006, 03:56 PM
:friday:

Ok - then let's drink to it!

Cheers :toast:

lakes Rick
01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
OK... Qwest ( my phone company) has offered me Free activation and free PROFESSIONAL installation.. Does that mean someone comes out and hooks it all up?? Maybe they can finally delete my Comcast home page???

Says 5 Mbps speed and would only be another $15 a month over my net zero.. This sound good??

Like Eastie says, this might me the easiest for an illiterate soul like me? I can use the phone when on line, faster speed, instant on ( no more waiting for dial up... Anyone else??

PendO
01-10-2006, 07:36 PM
I'll switch to quest when the bring the infrastructure up my Fing street (2 years and waiting), comcast price sucks, when we were in Billings, MT a few weeks ago my wife's friend supposedly got cable internet from Bresnan for around 30 bucks a month ... VOiP really doesn't entice me to do broadband phone b/c of the alarm monitoring ... hell, I'd get broken into when my cable was on the fritz.

milkmania
01-10-2006, 07:43 PM

haven't you or those guys heard????

over time, Windows will corrupt itself!!!!!http://deephousepage.com/smilies/listen2.gif

jimmer2880
01-11-2006, 12:34 PM
I'll switch to quest when the bring the infrastructure up my Fing street (2 years and waiting), comcast price sucks, when we were in Billings, MT a few weeks ago my wife's friend supposedly got cable internet from Bresnan for around 30 bucks a month ... VOiP really doesn't entice me to do broadband phone b/c of the alarm monitoring ... hell, I'd get broken into when my cable was on the fritz.

That is a real concern. Personally - they can take whatever they want - as long as they don't hurt anyone in my family while they are doing it. That's what insurance is for. (note to self - update inventory video tape kept at parent's house).

lakes Rick
01-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Well, I guess DSL is not available in my area yet.... Sooooo, am I back to comcast being the only option besides dial up??

No wonder its the bone me attitude at Comcast....

AirJunky
01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Cable is fine until it goes out. Again, I like DSL in the wintertime especially.
This is totally dependant on how your area is setup. Here the phone lines are on poles above the street & the cable TV is in the ground. So last winter we'd lose the phone everytime the wind blew a little, but the cable never goes out. So there are times I'm the only house in the area with a phone.

Lakes Rick, keep digging. Like I said, it depends on how things are setup where you live. Cable & DSL are usually the only two cost effective high speed ISPs now days. Very few areas have broadband over fiber or power now days, could be thru your county, phone service or power company. There are other companies offering DSL too, like Yahoo or Covad.

Cloaked
01-11-2006, 02:09 PM
.......... No wonder its the bone me attitude at Comcast....Exactly.

And I'll say again, Comcast can kiss my DSL....

Good luck Rick... :wavey:

mississippireb
01-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Ok - thanks.

Now - I have heard people say that before, but it was usually to either: defrag the system, or wipe all spyware, etc. Also, get into a practice of going into add/remove programs & removing software you are not using anymore, or were only installed because they came with something else that you do use.

My point is, run a good blocker, keep up to date on all your microsoft patches & keep your drive de-frag'd and you won't need to re-load until it's time to upgrade to the next OS (IE - moving from nt 4.0 to XP, or XP to Vista).

I've been an SA/Software engineer (mostly windows, but some *nix) for 16 years. They pay me rather well for the work I do and I can't complain. There is a lot of garbage out there in print on any subject imaginable, Especially when it comes to computers. Take everything you read with a grain of salt (like this post) and try to figure out the point the writer is trying to make. You will never hear me say, reload your os once year just to "clean it up". That would be stupid, instead, keep those things off your system to start with and don't come crying to me when webshots, or your weather watching tool brings your system to a crall.

Do you reccommend using a registry cleaner to get rid of all of the old "left overs" from previously installed programs, etc...?

Daniel

Cloaked
01-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Do you reccommend using a registry cleaner to get rid of all of the old "left overs" from previously installed programs, etc...?

DanielNot addressed to me but IMHO, yes. Not only left overs but embedded cookie tracers and computer jacks....

areamike
01-11-2006, 10:53 PM

Daniel

The BEST Registry cleaner software I have found
http://www.jv16.org/
It actually was even better before he went commercial.

twieder
01-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Well, I guess DSL is not available in my area yet.... Sooooo, am I back to comcast being the only option besides dial up??

No wonder its the bone me attitude at Comcast....
What about wireless? I'm in a rural area and alot of people outa towne get that. Not quite as quick as cable, but alot better than dial-up!

lakes Rick
01-12-2006, 12:36 AM
What about wireless? I'm in a rural area and alot of people outa towne get that. Not quite as quick as cable, but alot better than dial-up!

Thanks for the response, but not available either....

jeverett
01-12-2006, 01:13 AM
I currently have broadband over cable that I also brodcast as secure wireless. since you are in the North West there is a small company called clear wire that is moving fast through the Northwest poviding wireless. The really kool thing is that you can surf anywere there is clear wire, major plus! Vorison wireless charges $9.00 a day at some of its hotspots. Good luck

AirJunky
01-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Speak of the devil....... last night the wind kicked up. Phone out (trees down over the lines possibly?). Power & broadband is fine (underground).
Vonage & cellular is the only working phone in town.

lakes Rick
01-12-2006, 05:36 PM
I currently have broadband over cable that I also brodcast as secure wireless. since you are in the North West there is a small company called clear wire that is moving fast through the Northwest poviding wireless. The really kool thing is that you can surf anywere there is clear wire, major plus! Vorison wireless charges $9.00 a day at some of its hotspots. Good luck

Already called em... Not available in my area yet...

lakes Rick
01-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Speak of the devil....... last night the wind kicked up. Phone out (trees down over the lines possibly?). Power & broadband is fine (underground).
Vonage & cellular is the only working phone in town.

The subdivision I live in is all underground.. Not too much problem with lost power... A few years ago the whole town of Springfield lost power.. Driving home it was pitch black, except for the glow of lights about 5 blocks square up in the hills where I live... You have no idea how dark your city can be until the lights are all out.