PDA

View Full Version : snow skiis?

rodltg2
01-09-2006, 07:47 PM
i havent skied in about 10 years after picking up snowboarding. thinking about getting back into it after my trip to tahoe this weekend. any recommendations on skiis? ive heard the new ones are shorter thses days. back in the day i was an advanced intermediate.

SKI*MC
01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
What are you going to be doing, park or just riding?

88 PS190
01-09-2006, 08:30 PM
yea alot more to think about than just picking up a set of skis. i wanna know if the goode skis are worth the money myself. get a match for summer and winter.

rodltg2
01-09-2006, 08:38 PM
pobably mostly intermiate-andcanced runs at northstar

SKI*MC
01-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Shorter skis are for park, and the regular sizes are for riding.

rodltg2
01-09-2006, 08:48 PM
excuse my igornance, whats park vs. riding?

SKI*MC
01-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Park is like jumps and boxes, rails, that kind of thing, and riding would be like just riding around or slalom..

rodltg2
01-09-2006, 08:53 PM
i see, they didint have that stuff 10years ago

SKI*MC
01-09-2006, 08:54 PM
So i take it your more of a rider?

corey
01-09-2006, 08:59 PM
I've always been partial to Volkl, but I havent been in the ski scene for a while.

BrianM
01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Growing up in the 916 I used to go up and ski 20 - 30 days a year. The past 8 years I have been in the south and am lucky to get 4 days a year. Last year was the first time I went to the 'new' parabolic skis and man what a difference. I grew up wanting the longest and fastest ski out there. Now skis are short (compared to before) and still just as fast not to mention easier to turn. I had been skiing on 200cm skis and demoed a set of 184cm Dynastars. They felt short and quick in the turns but still nice an fast on the flats. I skied a lot of powder over last Christmas/New Years and the thick 'mid fats' were awsome.

I would say that if you don't plan on skiing all of the time to just demo a high end pair when you go up. I have a great set of boots that are just a few years old and plan to just demo the latest and greatest skis from here on out (since I will never go back to the long and skinny stick). Might as well ski on the newest technology from year to year.

6ballsisall
01-09-2006, 09:40 PM
I ski Volkl P40 platinums, they are FAST! As compared to ski's ten years ago parabolics have become the thing. Without knowing your height and weight its hard to say for sure what size is best for you but in general you'll need to subtract 10cm's off what you use to ski in straight skis. I skied 205's back in the day and now my P40's are 188's. It's like the difference of driving a Cadillac and a Porsche thru a slalom course.

Jorski
01-10-2006, 12:21 AM
I ski on Rossi GS racing skis (9X world Cup).... 20 years ago, my GS skis were 210 cm, today GS skis are 180 cm for men. The slalom skiers are on 165 cm skis !

What kind of skiing ? Hardpack, powder, on/off piste, fast/slow, steeps, bumps etc ?

There are a lot of great skis out there, just depends upon what you want to do with them.

Leroy
01-10-2006, 12:30 AM
I'm like BrianM. I skiied 195 Comp 612 K2's for 15 years and then bought pair of shaped 170 Salomon Verse 7 skiis 4 years ago. Night and day difference. We all have 170 parabolic skis now. Kids have Atomic. We range from 5' 10" to 6' 3".

bcampbe7
01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Stick to snowboarding. Much more fun. :D

FWIW, I ride a Never Summer Legacy 159 with Flow Pro S bindings. It's not great for big air but it rides the hill like a Cadillac. :woohoo:

tall_ andy
01-10-2006, 12:52 AM
You should give up the Training Heel and try Telemark!!! It is what my buddies and I have dubbed the Mellow Addiction, I was on Salmon Cross Max Pilot 9s for about two season in the 190 length(I'm 6'5" and about 200 lbs) now for tele I ski anywhere from a 170 for the bumps to a 190 for hardpack.

sand2snow22
01-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Stick to snowboarding. Much more fun. :D

FWIW, I ride a Never Summer Legacy 159 with Flow Pro S bindings. It's not great for big air but it rides the hill like a Cadillac. :woohoo:

Agreed, Bcampbe7. I ride a NeverSummer Premier 161 with Flows. Nice set up. I used to be a skier until I switched to snowboarding about 11 years ago.

Rod, MC to Malibu and snowboarding to skiing? What gives? Just kiddin'.

CoFooter
01-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Back in the day (15yrs ago) I had 210 Vokl Zebras. Thought I was pretty cool after paying $800 for the set-up. Just donated them to Goodwill after collecting dust for the last 10 years. The couple of times a year I've been (since moving to Colorado - I skied a lot more in California) I've rented K2 X-Screams - 180's. If you don't ski a lot - then demo. Lot more bang for the buck and you can keep up with the still changing technology.

tex
01-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Rod,

I was in the same boat-Boarded for the last 10 years. I rented a pair of short(151's) to help with getting around teaching my son. It was great. I was skiing the bumps and jumping again.

Zach S
01-10-2006, 09:48 AM
You need a set of 4 front skis. A friend of mine owns the company. They are the best skis out there for pipe, park, freeriding...

www.4frnt.com

wakesport
01-10-2006, 10:09 AM
rod:

I would wait for a demo day and then try a bunch of skis all in one day. Bobo's in Reno has at least one every year at Mt Rose (I'm sure there are others out there). I did this and found I really liked the Salomon x-scream 10. My wife demoed some Vokl 6 stars last year and then bought them.

If your going to ski mostly out there I really liked the Salomon Pocket Rockets.

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Rod, I'm on my second pair of Rossignol Bandits. My first pair were the Bandit X (picked up in late 98). Coming off of straight skis, I went a little long (191 cm). They were great for cruising, but I really needed something shorter. I went with the plain old bandits in a 170 cm ski. They are supposedly a step down, but are slightly wider from tip to tail. My father in law has some Vokyl (sp) 5 Stars. The newer Vokyls are supposedly great skis. That said, I can strongly recommend the Bandit. I loved the day I spent on the Bandit B2s last year in Snowmass (the B2 is a 50/50 on trail/off trail ski). Great all mountain ski.

RackAtak
01-10-2006, 11:15 AM
My wife and I demo'ed a bunch of ski's and ended up purchasing two sets of Atomic SX-9's. Mine are 170's and hers are 160's. They are rocket ships on the straightaways and they turn on a dime. Best for groomed runs because they are pretty narrow through the middle.

John B
01-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I ski on Dynastar. Three pairs of slalom all 165 cm,One GS, it is a 178, And my mogul ski are 184,And a pair of 160 Gs ski that I use for just screwing around on.I just got two more pair of slalom skis a pair of 157 and another pair of 165 that I going to mount tonight.
For those of you that are saying why. I say eBay.
There are allot of ski on eBay at real good prices,but DON'T BUY USED, get new. :D

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Most of the used stuff are old demos and rentals. My wife bought a pair two years ago used and they have been fine though. When I was ebaying last may, the prices were too low not to go new.

My last pair of straight skis were Dynastar and they were fantastic. Did 11 years on them. But when I upgraded, I believe we were still in first (maybe second) generation of parabolic/shaped skis. The Dynastars at the time seemed very drastic from waist to tip/tail, reminding me somewhat of the awful Elan shaped skis I'd demo'd. It scared me off. I'm sure they'd have been good, but I went with something that didn't look quite so drastic.

jimmer2880
01-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Someone here already suggested a "demo day". Do it. This won't be a cheap investment, so be sure you ride a pair before buying them.

I"m currently on a pair of Dynastar Speed 63's. But, my next pair will be K2 Axis-X. They are an awesome all-mountain ski. But, don't take my word for it, go ride them along with every other ski you can.

Also remember, that a bad ski tune can make a great pair of skiis horrible and not want to turn at all! So, even when you do buy a pair of skiis, ask around & find out who does the best tune job in your area & take them there & ONLY there for all your tunes.

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Jimmer's right about the tune (and all ski work for that matter). If you don't have a good shop nearby (I have to take mine to Dallas or Houston), a good rule of thumb is the closer to the mountain, the better. There are undoubtedly exceptions to that rule, but in Texas, it's not such a bad generalization and I'm confident that I can throw a snowball in, i.e., Truckee, and hit more good ski shops than I could here.